Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19013 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale May 21, 2019, 09:12 Verno

Having a shopping cart requires decades of iteration bwahaha Trollbashing  

Playing: Pillars of Eternity II, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy V
Watching: Chernobyl, Barry, NBA Playoffs
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 21, 2019, 07:39 Verno

They really need to hire some ex-Steam people and get their shit together. Launching your store without a cart in 2019 hahaha. Indefensible.

Why am I not surprised to see you here?

Actually kind of hilarious he bothers after that complete reaming you gave him in the other thread.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
36. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 23:01 Verno

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2019, 21:35:
EGS exclusives, no perks for consumers, and a platform held together by duct tape and chewing gum = BAD

Please don't sugar coat what EGS truly is. It's not about benefiting consumers, it's about empowering publishers.

Yep exactly. It's also worth noting that no one here gives a fuck what the revenue share is. Why the would anyone here care? It does not translate into better prices for you or me. I have no idea why anyone would beat that drum, its a stupid argument that is easily destroyed. I really give a shit that Ubisoft is making 10% more on the EGS or their own platform, that's what keeps me going in life

That's not a valid reason for a consumer to give a shit about their client. And its worth repeating that no one here would be a fan of this if the name Microsoft was swapped with Epic. Having a closed platform like Steam with no real benefits over Steam itself AND locking out third party content? Yes that's BAD, doesn't take a fuckin genius to understand it

People called out Steam when it sucked and they will call out the EGS. Looks like buddy is going to need to grow up and stop being so sensitive about it Trollbashing

29. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 14:30 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on May 19, 2019, 04:03:
I don't understand the vitriol against Steam. What's so bad about it? I think it provides a lot of usability and it has features that I actually enjoy. What's so bad about it? It has most of my games cataloged on it, and it stays out of the way. It's certainly more usable than Origin. *gag*

There's like one dipstick here who just trolls these topics endlessly on purpose and outside of that most other people are pretty sensible. He's been called out numerous times so people are at least wise to it now.

Steam provides a lot of value otherwise people would not use it. The EGS does not yet provide a lot of value. They tried to bull into the market with stupid consoleland tactics instead of you know, making a decent storefront and client. Shocking that people aren't receptive to it, shocking!

In this case Epic has a very publisher friendly attitude that is inappropriate for a storefront that is supposed to be primarily customer facing. Publishers should absolutely not be allowed to mark up right before sale, pull products mid-sale or screw around with promotions. Their poor behavior in this regard is well documented and EGS should have rules like Steam, Origin and other storefronts that prevent them from doing this.

They had eons to have that Steam Spy guy study their competitor but didn't seem to learn much it. When you're trying to supplant existing stores like Steam, it helps if you sort of *try*

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
67. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 07:18 Verno

Someones jealous! Trollbashing  

20. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 06:59 Verno

Sorry for your confusion. I also use Steam. I have a state of the art pc and installing multiple programs on it (ie launchers) does not scare me.

It's good to see your inability to properly install and maintain Windows 10 does not stop you from installing multiple programs on your state of the art PC

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores.

This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam does so its not like they're an open platform like GOG. Closed platform + exclusives is at best the same as Steam and actually worse if you consider that they're seeking out third party content to lock out from ALL other stores, not just Steam. Timed or not its shitty behavior that is worse than all competitors including Microsoft, Steam, EA, etc. Epic just having a good sale, that's good behavior. Epic locking out content a la consoles, bad behavior! As I said in the other thread, if Microsofts name was on this instead of Epic, people would be going apeshit.

Now getting back to the topic at hand - Epic needs to come up with a set of rules to protect consumers from this sort of behavior otherwise publishers will go crazy with mark ups right before "sales" and/or yank games. Steam and Origin have this as part of their agreements, your ability to fuck with the price and listings is very limited pre-sale. Instead Epic said here that it wants to respect publishers and let them do what they want. Not smart, publishers can't be trusted to make good decisions - these are the companies working their own employees to exhaustion after all. Hopefully much like the "we will never do steam sales" comment from Sweeney, they will backtrack on this at some point. A good store front will worry about its customers first, not its suppliers.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 07:11.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
13. Re: Evening Interviews May 18, 2019, 10:07 Verno

Creston wrote on May 17, 2019, 23:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2019, 20:57:
Saboth wrote on May 17, 2019, 20:42:
"Just so you know, working overtime is optional. There's no extra pay, we won't provide for your food or anything, so you're working for free, but you can do it if you want." "Nah, I'll pass." After the game releases, "Mr. Smith, can you step into my office? I have your yearly performance review ready, and it's...not good."

To quote the not linked article (actual source is linked in the article above)

CD Projekt Red pays all of its staff for overtimeó150% for nights, and 200% for weekends

And they are one of the few who do that. To be honest, at 200% I wouldn't mind working weekends.

I don't mind working the odd weekend but when I say odd, I mean 2-3 times a year. How the industry defines odd is every weekend of the entire year.

If you don't value your time neither will anyone else. People in the gaming industry really need to learn that lesson otherwise nothing will change.

64. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 10:05 Verno

Sepharo wrote on May 18, 2019, 01:53:
Verno wrote on May 17, 2019, 15:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 17, 2019, 14:22:
Valve pushing Steamworks DRM for many years now is a MUCH more monopolistic move than Epic's harmless TIMED exclusives.
Valve basically snagged nearly the entire PC retail business via Steamworks DRM.
With very few exceptions you haven't been able to buy a game at a brick & mortar store (or AMZ) for the last decade that does not have a Steam installer or just a Steam code inside the box. Steam got its tentacles everywhere.

Let's clear up a few things here, retail PC was already dying when Steam came along and basically saved the platform from total stagnation. PC brick and mortar has been dead except for major titles for a very long time. Every digital platform save for GOG has an ownership check which is essentially what the Steamworks executable wrapper is. To even call it DRM is almost laughable when I can beat it using a text file and about 10 seconds of time. You can't upload a game to Origin or uPlay without using their build wrappers either for that matter, its an industry standard at this point. I would also note the EGS client forces online connectivity which is a much more invasive system and lacks several more user-friendly concessions to people who care about such things.

And no one fucking thinks Steam gets a free ride forever because it built out a significant portion of the industry. Steam is just a store, I don't give a fuck if it lives or dies so long as whatever replaces it is better. What they do want is Epic to earn their shit instead of this walled garden bullshit from consoleland. Their bungled sale is a clumsy but welcome first step in that regard. They also refused to do "big sales" in the past but backtracked on that so at least someone there has some sense. Or perhaps their platform uptake isn't what they thought it would be. Either way they need to do more shit like that and less shit like DOOM ETERNAL EXCLUSIVE FOR 3 MONTHS WE BE DUNKIN ON GABE.

Glad to have you back Verno.

Picked up Stories Untold, Satisfactory, Detroit: Become Human, and Observation.

Cheers bud, can't let the trolls win

News Comments > Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
31. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 21:40 Verno

Drayth wrote on May 17, 2019, 18:44:
And when so there were people discussing it. Pro Epic Store or not, fact is lack of shopping cart leads to ironic situation during major sale.

You don't have to white knight EVERY. SINGLE. CRITICISM.

+1 on that domination ownage

Can't criticize obvious problems and shortcomings of new platform, its new so that makes anything A-OK. Also Steam bad! Trollbashing

Steam and every other major platform have been dissected at length here and so will the EGS. Fanboys can just deal with it.

21. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 15:43 Verno

I think it's more than that, there were some leaked details about the contracts on reddit that indicated publishers/devs take significantly reduced revenue share in exchange for the upfront cash during the exclusivity period. There have been similar agreements in consoleland in the past. So it makes more sense for them to avoid discounted copies until after the contract vests.  

60. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 15:39 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on May 17, 2019, 14:22:
Valve pushing Steamworks DRM for many years now is a MUCH more monopolistic move than Epic's harmless TIMED exclusives.
Valve basically snagged nearly the entire PC retail business via Steamworks DRM.
With very few exceptions you haven't been able to buy a game at a brick & mortar store (or AMZ) for the last decade that does not have a Steam installer or just a Steam code inside the box. Steam got its tentacles everywhere.

Let's clear up a few things here, retail PC was already dying when Steam came along and basically saved the platform from total stagnation. PC brick and mortar has been dead except for major titles for a very long time. Every digital platform save for GOG has an ownership check which is essentially what the Steamworks executable wrapper is. To even call it DRM is almost laughable when I can beat it using a text file and about 10 seconds of time. You can't upload a game to Origin or uPlay without using their build wrappers either for that matter, its an industry standard at this point. I would also note the EGS client forces online connectivity which is a much more invasive system and lacks several more user-friendly concessions to people who care about such things.

And no one fucking thinks Steam gets a free ride forever because it built out a significant portion of the industry. Steam is just a store, I don't give a fuck if it lives or dies so long as whatever replaces it is better. What they do want is Epic to earn their shit instead of this walled garden bullshit from consoleland. Their bungled sale is a clumsy but welcome first step in that regard. They also refused to do "big sales" in the past but backtracked on that so at least someone there has some sense. Or perhaps their platform uptake isn't what they thought it would be. Either way they need to do more shit like that and less shit like DOOM ETERNAL EXCLUSIVE FOR 3 MONTHS WE BE DUNKIN ON GABE.

14. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 13:30 Verno

This is why Steam has strict rules on the before/after periods for discounts and sales regarding markdowns and pulls. They don't allow publishers to do this kind of nonsense.

One more thing for the Epic trello board stuff that keeps getting pushed back

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black May 17, 2019, 09:16 Verno

NKD wrote on May 17, 2019, 06:43:
The incel/MGTOW folks are already out in force on that Batwoman stuff.

I don't know why those guys bother, this shit is going to sink itself based on that cringe inducing trailer.

54. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 23:27 Verno

Mordhaus wrote on May 16, 2019, 23:12:
RedEye9 wrote on May 16, 2019, 17:40:
Exactly this.
They are going up against one of the biggest monopolies in the business.
There is no harm created by the short term exclusives and it is about the only way they can get a foot in the door.

snippet from https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1107671681517211649.html
"When a competing company goes out and builds a massive financial war chest, it's for one thing - and one thing only. Going to war in a highly competitive battleground.
In this case, the war is with Steam.
A war in which, by all accounts, they stand ZERO chance of EVER winning

This was never about beating Steam. It's about disrupting it enough to carve out a portion of a multi-billion Dollar industry. Starving Steam of content isn't going to kill it. In fact, it's akin to Disney pulling Marvel content off Netflix. They'll survive it.
But even as you ponder paying Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, DCU, CBS et al monthly subs to watch exclusive content, so too gamers are busy raging about having to install another game launcher. Because, you know, priorities and all that.
There is absolutely NOTHING unique about the Steam v EGS fiasco because that's how competition works. And no matter how many times Tim Sweeney has to go on the record outlining *precisely* what their goal is, very few care because of tribalism."

And thankfully for them, there will be tons of corporate shill apologists like you that will keep saying "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

From the beginning you have been so hard on their jock I'm surprised they haven't proposed to you. Epic is only concerned about life after fortnite, since it is pretty clear they can't create a game anymore without ripping off 99% of the concept from someone else (pubg). They care nothing about the consumer or the developers.

The developers don't care either, they just want to cause valve headaches so they can break people away to their stores where they can shovel overpriced DLC to the consumer without splitting costs with another store. They WANT exclusives, they want games as a 'service', or any other method of wringing the most profit from the least amount of content.

Steam and Valve are not innocent either, but at least they fostered a space for independent devs to get games widely seen that would have never had that opportunity without them. Epic has done nothing like that and, before you regurgitate your most common reprise of "EGS will do the same once they have enough money to build a proper store etc ad nauseum", I would be quite willing to wager they never will. In fact, I would also be willing to wager that once they do carve out a space for themselves they will raise the percentage they charge devs, using the excuse that they can't sustain egs and development of the store at the price percentage they originally offered.

tl;dr

You are just as bad as the steam fanbois, only you rep for EGS. If you can't see that, I don't know how to explain it to you.

+1 and congrats on that ownage

The idea that everyone is supposed to cheer Epic on because its fighting big bad Steam is pretty hilarious, particularly when they're using consoleland tactics to do it. Literally no one here would be OK with this if Epics name was swapped with Microsoft in this situation. In fact I seem to recall a few trolls here going after Microsoft and their own store efforts.

Epic wants a slice of a big pie because it knows Fortnite will end one day. That's cool for Epic but I don't give a shit, I'm not a shareholder of Epic and I doubt anyone else here is either. Real competition is the ability to buy games on as many storefronts as possible, not partitioning off everything into separate launchers and storefronts as if this was fucking cable TV all over again. Even at its worst I could still buy Steam shit from other stores so as far as monopolies go, it was a pretty benign one and didn't seem to stop several competitors from popping up. Something tells me Tim Sweeney's version of the industry would be pretty fucking bad for me as a consumer and we have plenty of his own bullshit quotes to use as precedent.

26. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 12:22 Verno

Darks wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:20:

Verno, Rage 2 how are you liking that game? Its an OK game and all, but it really feels lacking in areas and Coop would have benefited this game a lot.

It has a really fun first few hours but then you're bored to tears. The game never really evolves, the powers are just OK and the shotgun is really the standout part of the game. I'm running out of steam with it and will probably stop playing soon. I can see why it got the scores it did. I had a gift card to burn so no regrets but I wouldn't suggest others pay full price for it, definitely a $30-40 title.

22. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 12:01 Verno

I'm confused. Blue's lead says they are promising sales up to 75% off and at least $10 on games priced over $14.99. So Epic themselves are applying a $10 discount to all games above a certain price on their own dime, and then publishers can offer their own sales as well. So if a game was $80, the publisher offers a 50% discount dropping it to $40, then Epic applies their $10 discount, the $80 game is now $30.

I don't know, I haven't tried to check out any titles (thru to cart). The $10 discount won't apply to a lot of games though and the publishers aren't exactly going nuts to discount recent AAA releases. Metro: Exodus was the only notable one I saw personally. I guess Borderlands 3 preorder is good? I don't know, I try not to preorder games anymore. If you find others please post them. Their store is fucking awful to browse by the way, holy shit.

21. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 11:57 Verno

Dacote wrote on May 16, 2019, 11:40:
Awesome discount so close after the games release. Thanks for posting!

No worries. Here's the full list:

Borderlands $49.99
John Wick Hex $7.99
Heavy rain $9.99
Satisfactory $19.95
Afterparty $9.99
Ashen $19.99
Hades $6.99
Shakedown Hawaii $9.99
Close to the sun $19.99
Beyond: two souls $9.99
Detroit: Become human $29.99
Sinking City $49.99
World War Z $19.99
Oxygen Not included $8.74
Walking Dead: Final Season $4.99
Control $49.99
Metro Exodus $27.49
Operencia $9.49
Trover saves the universe $16.99
Observation $12.49
RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures $9.49
Dangerous Driving $19.99
Pheonix Point $29.99
Darksiders 3 $49.99
Flower $5.24
Genesis Alpha One $9.49
Subnautica Below Zero $9.99
My time at portia $13.99
Metro Last light Reduce $4.99
Gorogoa $10.04
Hello neighbor $4.99
Donut country $8.70
Shadow Complex Remastered $3.74

Now FREE is:
untold stories

Next freebie is Rime
(and it starts next week??? Unless thats a typo? Both are free until end of month?)

Once were free
Edith Finch $9.99
Super meat boy $4.99
Oxenfree $9.99
Transistor $8.99
World of goo $4.99
Slime Rancher $4.99
Witness $9.99
Timbleweed Park $4.99
Axiom Verge $9.99
Subnautica $7.49

16. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 11:29 Verno

Someone else on reddit parsed their terrible storefront for the "deals", the only thing approaching interesting was Metro: Exodus for $27.99. Much ado about nothing. So much for that competition being great for the consumer.

Darksiders 3 for $49.99 uh lol? THQ Nordic has a high opinion of themselves.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
25. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 16, 2019, 10:55 Verno

That's what the future is man. Every publisher with their own little store, not selling elsewhere. It's going to be cable TV all over again. Look at what's happening to Netflix and the streaming media landscape right now. You don't even need your own infrastructure, just a dev team and some AWS space. They will all do this. The irony is that EGS itself will get locked out at some point too. It will be amusing to see people who defended this doing mental gymnastics to reverse themselves when it happens.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews May 16, 2019, 10:54 Verno

Rage was really mediocre and not a great seller so I think he's flattering himself here.  

19013 Comments. 951 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo