Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 5238 (Guru)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Features
25. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Features Aug 16, 2019, 11:58 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 22:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 21:40:
Epic
Damned if they do
Damned if they don't
Damn

Never damned if they'd actually compete on price. Even Uplay does that VS Steam prices.

Anno 2070 CE on Steam 40$ CAD
Anno 2070 CE on Uplay 10$ CAD

Guess where I just bought my Anno 2070 copy? Yep, Uplay.

Still waiting for EGS to do the same thing with games instead of engaging in anti-competitive exclusives which preempt any competition at all ( you can't offer a lower price if you can't sell it ).

When Ubisoft > Epic, something's seriously fucked up somewhere.

*sigh*

It's 2019 and you still don't know that only the publishers determine the prices and not the stores? The stores only make suggestions occasionally or send the devs/publishers sales notices with a request to file their discounts but the pricing decision always lies solely with the publisher. Been like that since Steam launched in 2003 and has never changed.

Ubi obviously wanted to only discount on uPlay. They do this quite often. Then they sometimes bring the same discounts to Steam/Origin a couple of days later... or sometimes not. This is nothing new at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anthem Lead Ben Irving Leaving BioWare
9. Re: Anthem Lead Ben Irving Leaving BioWare Aug 16, 2019, 11:48 CJ_Parker

Avus wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 09:16:
Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 19:37:
BioWare-o-Where-Did-You-Go.... maybe he'll get to work on Baldur's Gate 3.

Think again what you really wish for, he is one of the person that made Anthem SUCKS.

Yeah, lead producer is pretty much one of the most important jobs related to a project. He did not fuck it up alone but he was WAY up there on the bridge of the Anthem Titanic. He must have called more than one retarded shot and contributed massively to fucking it up big time.

Let's hope this new job he was mentioning is about working on mobile games or some irrelevant shit like that. You don't want that guy anywhere near a gig like Larian Studios.

News Comments > Play Galactic Civilizations III Free This Weekend
2. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 16, 2019, 01:38 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 22:38:
Sorry, promised Brad I'd never touch another game of his again after the UPS thing 10 years ago.

I know it's not much money, but there's tons of other devs and studios out there that are more deserving of my money. So fuck Brad.

The €3.99 is a bullshit bait and switch price for part 1 of a 15 course piecemeal. If you buy the full game then it's €88.39 for the gold bundle.
Or if you buy the five course piecemeal which they call the "essential" bundle (well, at least they admit to having cut DLC and that those DLCs are essentials) it's still €43.45.

Yeah, fuck that. Stardock is just as shitty as Paradox when it comes to the piecemeal delivery, the milking and the fraudulent bullshit with "cheap" base games as bait. Just as the Paradox crap I'm not buying Stardock games either. There is enough other decent stuff to play.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adds Features
7. Re: Epic Games Store Adds Features Aug 15, 2019, 21:08 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 21:01:
It looks like epicgames.com is struggling to load. I guess it was designed to only handle six users at a time.

Nah they've just blocked you for your incessant whining .

News Comments > New Metro Game in the Works
13. Re: New Metro Game in the Works Aug 15, 2019, 20:01 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 18:08:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 13:08:
Wingefors, the CEO of THQ Nordic, has also stated that the game was very successful on EGS...

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations..."

How do you get the quote wrong when you've taken the time to look it up and copy-paste it? "Very successful" is enough of a relative term, but their expectations could be anything. They could have expected to sell 10 copies, just so they could say that when people buy at least 11. It's classic PR spin, the kind companies use even when they're not doing so well (in fact, didn't Activision use that very line a week ago when they announced their revenues were down 15%?), so to use it as any kind of proof-positive is laughable.

Metro has never done particularly well on consoles, and Satisfactory is a PC exclusive... Remind me again why it's so impressive for their combined sales on EGS to beat out sales of Exodus alone on XBL and PSN?

Yep. They expected to sell 10 copies. That is veeeeeery realistic right there. Very much so... /golfclap.
They are also developing two DLCs and this new Metro game because the game sold like total dogshit. Yup. Aaaabsolutely true.

Let us also completely ignore their revenue numbers and the fact that the press release explicitly mentioned the "continued strength" of Metro Exodus as a driving factor which probably means they sold another six copies, right? Or just five? Yeah, let's not be too optimistic. I mean, it's the EGS so it MUST suck. It was probably only four or five.

In fact, let us simply ignore anything and everything that does not fit the anti-EGS hate propaganda. Makes perfect sense. What the hell does the CEO of a company that is actually using the EGS for the distribution of some of their titles know about all this crap anyway? Bah. What a n00b. He should ask the Bluesnewsers how well his games are doing. That's where you get the real expertise!

7. Re: New Metro Game in the Works Aug 15, 2019, 13:29 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 13:19:
It's always nice to hear developers and publishers say everything is perfect, during a crisis don't you think?

Well if they said it, it must be true!

Well, let's hear it then... what "crisis"? Feel free to elaborate. If you believe that THQ Nordic has issued false statements and revenue numbers to their shareholders then you should contact the authorities.

News Comments > Paradox Interactive Financials
5. Re: Paradox Interactive Financials Aug 15, 2019, 13:17 CJ_Parker

It's pretty sad to see this fraudster piecemeal sweatshop do well financially. This way the industry will never change from their piecemeal delivery business model. People apparently want to be milked, cheated and treated like shit.

Oh well... I won't change either. I will keep buying GOTYs on sale to avoid the piecemeal bullshit. Since Paradox never does GOTYs I'm boycotting those asswipes completely.
Shittiest publisher ever... far, far, far down below EA in the toilet bowl... buried under heaps and heaps of stinky turds. Yuck. Disgusting fraudsters.

4. Re: New Metro Game in the Works Aug 15, 2019, 13:08 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 12:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 12:13:
Oh shit, I had forgotten about the new Metro game, since the Epic store nonsense. Is that almost out of its exclusivity yet?
Another thing too, there hasn't been much news about it. The majority of news at least I've seen has been about the exclusivity and it wasn't positive.

What news would there be after the game has been released? There will be two DLCs coming up so we'll get news again when those are released and there will be a GOTY next (financial) year. Wingefors, the CEO of THQ Nordic, has also stated that the game was very successful on EGS...

Numero uno here...

Many fans of the historically computer-focused series took that to mean PC players had abandoned the game over its Epic store exclusivity, but CEO Lars Wingefors says that’s not the case.

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”

In other words, direct game sales through the Epic store brought in more money for THQ Nordic in the quarter than sales on Steam, PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live. That can be partially attributed to the higher revenue cut developers receive through Epic, but it takes more than a few percentage points to compete against the big install bases on console.

... and here's from yesterday's financial stuff...

Deep Silver’s net sales grew 10% to SEK 373 million. The quarter’s performance was highlighted by the continued strength of Metro Exodus.

News Comments > THQ Financials Reveal New Saints Row
10. Re: THQ Financials Reveal New Saints Row Aug 14, 2019, 18:42 CJ_Parker

They also revealed a Metro Exodus GOTY is coming next (financial) year.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Gears 5
13. Re: Gone Gold - Gears 5 Aug 10, 2019, 12:31 CJ_Parker

Yeah, they can shove this console garbage right up their collective asses. MS could have been decent people and released this entire series on PC all these years ago but instead they chose to withhold the sequels from PC gamers hoping we'd be retarded enough to buy one of their shitty little toy boxes. Well, keep hoping, assholes. And keep your console garbage. Too little, too late.  

News Comments > ESO Plus Free Trial
5. Re: ESO Plus Free Trial Aug 9, 2019, 20:09 CJ_Parker

Drayth wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 18:16:
I tried to get back in to this a few months ago, and while I think it's actually grown into a pretty impressive MMO, they threw SO MUCH free shit at me I lost the urge to quest.

You get a free quality of life item every day you log in at login. When you level you can get numerous free items. Then certain landmark levels give you a powerful item to choose from. This is all without me being subbed.

I guess the nerf's needed as there's basically no challenge to the game, at least in the questing stage (can't say if the questing changes at higher levels, but the rewards scale anyways). I started destroying the QoL items out of my inventory, but even that grew tedious.

Hey, nothing wrong with a few nice gifts imo Wink . This month they are once again giving away 100K gold as a login reward. I'd say it's very considerate of them to remove some of the credit grind because as easy as this game is in terms of combat I found it fairly hard in comparison to other MMOs/RPGs to really get "rich" just by questing.

As for the combat difficulty, yes, it is just as easy as every other MMO so even very casual players can finish the story quests and the main side missions. That's normal. You have to actively look for the more challenging stuff (like group content). It is there but you have to go look for it.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
10. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Aug 9, 2019, 19:51 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 16:46:
fawker wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 06:28:
Destiny 2 is being taken off the Blizzard client and is moving to steam. That much I'm sure of.

The accounts will be moved as well, as per their launcher notice.

What does Bungie then need Activision for? Or am I missing something?

They don't. The game is 100% Bungie now and will be taken off B.net in early October. They will start a transition period on August 20th. You will have to link your Bungie account to Steam between August 20th and October 1st if you want to transfer over your progress from B.net.

Here it is straight from their FAQ. Destiny 2 will be taken off Battle.net on October 1st and if you don't move your shit to Steam before then then you're fucked.

What happens if I don’t sign up to move my Guardians to Steam?

Unfortunately, Destiny will no longer be available on Blizzard’s Battle.net after October 1. We hope you’ll follow us to our new home to continue your journey. It just wouldn’t be the same without you.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Aug 8, 2019, 22:13 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 21:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 21:23:
Big publisher making less money after zero innovation for 10+ years is always good news.

Let's see if they can turn that around by the end of the year, with World of Warcraft Classic, Modern Warfare remastered, and Destiny 2 free-to-play!

Yeah, innovation overload right there!

Also, this Candy Crush game must be really popular or something... I think I'm gonna have to buy that fucker some time!

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 5, 2019, 04:27 CJ_Parker

Another good one is 4K Video Downloader. The free version has some non-intrusive ads but it works like a charm otherwise.  

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Trailer
20. Re: The Outer Worlds Trailer Aug 4, 2019, 18:59 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 11:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 15:52:
Pillars III instead of this garbage plz, kthx

I'm trying to figure out how to describe what I'm seeing and it looks like it is a CRPG type game just in first person, if true I like that. I rather play in that perspective than Iso. But I'm unsure if I'm correct. A problem is I think we programmed to think of different game play form 1rst/shooter then what we see here, looks honky when measuring it that way, but it looks like Iso CPRG gameplay in a first person world.

Side note I'm tiring quickly on ISO CRPG's they need to improve. IMO Obsidian needs to really improve on size of maps, load times and RtwP AI. Imo all three are horrendous and make the game a chore with little cohesiveness.

Is this Unity again? One thing I can see is they don't have the best artists/modellers, I see Indies with better art work, that said it can be ok if everything else clicks, we'll see. I can totally see someone not feeling this, it definitely looks like an acquired taste.

Dude, iso is actually my least favorite perspective. I much prefer 1st/3rd person (TES/Witcher).

However, iso has its place for party-based RPGs and as I said I'd much rather have a Pillars III than that weirdo stuff that I'm seeing in this here trailer. As other here have said: It just doesn't click or manage to get me interested.

It has nothing to do with the perspective for me at all. My main preference for any RPG is content, i.e. setting, world, story, characters, atmosphere, player agency (choices & consequences etc.), writing, quests and so on. Stuff like the perspective, gameplay or the combat and combat system are secondary for me.

Everything I have seen of The Outer World has not got me to go "yeah, that looks cool and I want to find out more about it". It looks like a really boring, uninspired clone of the FO and whatever-Shock games with shitty tech.

So, that's why: Pillars III instead of this garbage plz .
Obsidian have proven with Pillars I and the much improved Pillars II that they are quite capable of delivering a decent classic RPG experience.
The only problem that Pillars II shared as well was shitty tech. It performed like crap even on my 9900K, 2080Ti system with a 970 EVO SSD and I don't mean the loading times but the intermittent stuttering that was obviously some kind of engine hiccup.

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Trailer
1. Re: The Outer Worlds Trailer Aug 3, 2019, 15:52 CJ_Parker

Pillars III instead of this garbage plz, kthx  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2019, 00:32 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 16:38:
It's a damn shame that Nvidia is still fucking their customers in the arse like this and not enabling all GPU makers to make their cards/drivers/whatever compatible like Adaptive Sync is.

Clueless drivel. What the hell are you even talking about?

nVidia are now 100% supporting AdaptiveSync and you can switch on "G-Sync compatible" mode in conjunction with any AdaptiveSync (or FreeSync) monitor.

What in the world do you even mean with "not enabling all GPU makers to make their cards/drivers/whatever compatible"?
All nVidia cards from Pascal up are supporting G-Sync compatible mode on AdaptiveSync/FreeSync monitors. The "enabling" is achieved by simply using driver version 417.71 or later. That's it. It has nothing to do with the "GPU makers".

The only issue is the (or some) Adaptive/FreeSync monitors. Some displays produce e.g. flickering when using G-Sync compatible mode.
It only happens sporadically on some displays or only in certain games/applications.

That's why nVidia is testing Adaptive/FreeSync monitors extensively in their labs and certifying them on a case by case basis. Monitors that flicker or turn up any other oddities will not receive the official "G-Sync compatible" stamp of certification but you can absolutely turn on G-Sync compatible mode anyway, of course, and see/try for yourself. It's not nVidia's fault that many Adaptive/FreeSync monitors are plain garbage.

nVidia posted this article in May and a full list of certified displays can be found here.

They tested over 500 monitors. Only 28 received certification.

- 202 failed because of image quality or other issues
- 273 failed because of an insufficient VRR range. nVidia require a range of 2.4 to 1, e.g. 60Hz - 144Hz. Many, many Adaptive/FreeSync screens have a super-limited garbage range of 48Hz to 60Hz where FreeSync is extremely limited to the point of uselessness. Shit screens like that don't get certified and rightfully so.

Many of the displays that did not meet the 2.4 to 1 nVidia VRR reqs are generally working fine with G-Sync compatible, however, in spite of missing official certification.

One can easily find out by googling a certain model whether there are any user reported issues or not. Most screens work just fine with G-Sync compatible turned on which is awesome for nVidia owners since they now have a much larger range of screens with VRR support available for purchase than ever before.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 2, 2019, 12:09 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:12:
That Ryzen article title is absurdly misleading. What they MEAN is that at ONE German retailer, Ryzen sold super well. Did that retailer have crazy sales on the chips/boards? Did they heavily push AMD over Intel? No info.

Some clickbait sites like WCCF et al like to quote Mindfactory numbers because they are so easily available. They are one of the very few (only?) stores who publicize sales numbers so they are an easy target.

I don't think that Mindfactory is favoring AMD per se but AMD is apparently buying lots of ad and promo space on that store's main page.
MF often times have huge banners and links to promos of AMD CPUs and graphics cards. Just as they do at the moment. The whole top section of the site is one huge AMD advertisement.
Sometimes they even have the entire page plastered with AMD promo stuff including the background, top, bottom, sides, everything... so you might as well think like you landed on www.amd.com instead of a store page.

Mindfactory numbers are definitely not "objective" by any stretch of the imagination. Which is fine with me by the way. If AMD want to promote their stuff via MF then more power to them.
MF are a huge store here in Europe. I also buy very regularly from them because they have great prices and decent support.
Given the circumstances with the ads & promos it is completely silly of some clickbait sites to draw conclusions from MF sales numbers though but I guess such is the nature of clickbait sites. Bait & bullshit.

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity
49. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Aug 1, 2019, 11:43 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 22:22:
If Epic was really doing this for devs and gamers, they'd waive it for any store. Just a scummy move to ramp up revenue from games that they'd usually only get 5% from up to 12%.

Engine licensing is Epic's core business model and the 5% is their flat fee regardless of where the game is sold. They only charge the 5% if a game generates at least $3,000 revenue per game per quarter.
If a game sells less (as may be the case with very small indie devs) then there is no fee and the engine can be used for free.

Also, people are conveniently forgetting that Steam makes ZERO profit off of Steam keys that they generate for FREE for third party stores-so in those cases the developers get much more, possibly close to 100% in some cases.

People also conveniently forget to mention that devs can not request free Steam keys all willy-nilly. Valve reserves the right to deny high volume requests. Devs can't just generate the keys as they please. They have to request them and get approval.
When the devs sell on those "free" keys on 3rd party stores then e.g. Fanatical or GMG also take a cut so forget about 100%.

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity
24. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 14:58 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 12:01:
Betting 50$ that once all is said and done they'll have sold more copies at the other store fronts than EGS even with the 1 year exclusive deal. And that they'll have to revise their expectations down from their 1 million copies as a result of their choice to go EGS.

In the end they'll probably break even on the profit if they'd have gone either way, and most people will quickly forget.

Yeah.

This deal is win-win-win for the devs.

They get:

1) Exclusivity monies from Epic which is a really nice up front ROI.
2) Full price sales on EGS for a year.
3) A huge second wave of full price sales once the game becomes available on Steam (and possibly other platforms). Maybe they'll throw in some cosmetics to justify the full price after the year has passed but they wouldn't even have to as most of the gaming plebs (95%+) would be oblivious to the fact that it was a EGS exclusive anyway.

Nice, fat triple dipping right there and they can keep up their ASP for a lot longer than if they launched on Steam. They will be laughing all the way to the bank and back.

Also, a comment on EGS sales from the THQ Nordic CEO...

Many fans of the historically computer-focused series took that to mean PC players had abandoned the game over its Epic store exclusivity, but CEO Lars Wingefors says that’s not the case.

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”

In other words, direct game sales through the Epic store brought in more money for THQ Nordic in the quarter than sales on Steam, PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live. That can be partially attributed to the higher revenue cut developers receive through Epic, but it takes more than a few percentage points to compete against the big install bases on console.

5238 Comments. 262 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo