Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Duffy

Real Name Duffy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 5058 (Guru)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > S.W.I.N.E. HD Remaster Released
2. Re: S.W.I.N.E. HD Remaster Released May 23, 2019, 11:05 CJ_Parker

Miss Piggy romance option plz!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta
10. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 09:16 CJ_Parker

They can't tell me that this consolidation shit is possible without a major level of "spying". They will at least have to access the same unprotected files in the Steam directory that people were so enraged about when EGS (after asking for consent) accessed them for friends list imports.

In this case it will be super OK for people, of course, because CD Projekt are the good guys. Just like no one has a problem to grant them access to their Steam profiles via GOG Connect.

Sure, if you take them at their word, CD Projekt might not sell any user data to share it with 3rd parties but with this kind of unified client they are definitely mining data big time for their own market research purposes.

I won't be touching that shit with a ten foot pole. Fuck all that spyware garbage from Windows 10 to Steam to GOG 2.0. Fuck it all...

News Comments > THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes
11. Re: THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes May 22, 2019, 17:32 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2019, 16:26:
Well I think it's safe to say if you liked Gothic and/or Risen you'll like Elex. Deffo worth picking up at $20 or less.

Not safe at all.

My opinion is that Gothic = best RPG of all time, closely followed by Gothic 2 NiT3 0f the r4V3n, Risen series was mostly mediocre and Elex? Dude? Come again? Fuck Elex.

Weird genre mix, shit story that is being even shittier delivered, shit characters, shit combat and animations for the 7th game in a row, same old structure and same long in the tooth tropes for the 7th time in a row as well while the strengths of the past like a reactive game world, multiple quest solutions, complex quest structure etc. have fallen by the wayside. Instead they made a HUGE ass world that they were barely able to fill with any meaningful content.

It's a solid pass for anyone with standards and I'd only recommend it at sub $10 if one is starving for an open world RPG and if there is nothing else to play, no backlog, no nothing.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes
2. Re: THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes May 22, 2019, 10:11 CJ_Parker

yuastnav wrote on May 22, 2019, 09:47:
Huh? I though Elex 2 was already being developed.

Did you even read the news? If you look at the FAQ section the 'Have a guess' part is obviously a 99.9% confirmation of Elex 2 being in development.

I didn't know that the Gothic brand belonged to Piranha Bytes. I thought it belonged to the now defunct JoWood.

The Gothic IP returned to PB in 2012 after the contract with JoWooD had expired. JoWooD had originally signed the IP with an expiration date of 12/31/2011. The IP returned to PB after that date.

By the way: The Vienna branch of THQ Nordic that acquired PB is effectively the ghost of JoWooD with many former JoWooD employees still working there. The circle is now complete.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. May 20, 2019, 19:22 CJ_Parker

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:46:
So Rage 2 physical sales are down? Why is that even news. ohhh because we are pretending Physical sales matter.

You obviously only read the headline. The article also has Steam player stats. Those numbers are abysmal for a new release.
If you check the Steam top games stats right now then Rage 2 has barely made it into the top 100 today at 87th place with a peak number of players at around 4.5K. That's beyond pathetic for a new AAA release.

Those numbers make me very happy though. Maybe this way Bethesda will learn that people aren't willing to put up with piecemeal games anymore (yeah, yeah, I know it is more likely they will attribute the sales failure to the absence of multiplayer). The price should also come crashing down much sooner since they will be forced to salvage whatever is left in this wreck.

Doesn't matter to me. I won't buy their half-assed, unfinished piecemeal piece of shit before there is a GOTY. Fuck them. Super glad this garbage tanked hard.

News Comments > Morning Previews
11. Re: Morning Previews May 20, 2019, 19:02 CJ_Parker

Nu millennial g4m0r tards.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
31. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 17:17 CJ_Parker

roguebanshee wrote on May 19, 2019, 08:52:
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

The Windows store can luckily be uninstalled very easily via a simple console command. I have no problem using just about every store client from Battle.net to EGS to Steam, uPlay, Origin, Bethesda.net etc. but the Windows store is a complete boycott for me thanks to the abysmal way Microsoft handled GFWL where they removed people's access to games they purchased. They have violated the number 1 rule: Trust.

MS also have no excuse. It's not like they went bankrupt or anything. It was a completely reckless and ruthless move to yank GFWL from PC gamers like they did. Those assholes can shove their Windows store where the sun never shines.

PSA: To uninstall the Windows Store open a PowerShell command line in admin mode. Then enter or copy&paste...

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

^ Done. Store gone. Fuck Microsoft. Live happily ever after.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews May 18, 2019, 04:43 CJ_Parker

This is CD Projekt's spin on this week's European Court of Justice ruling which is going to force employers to track the daily working hours of their staff.
CD Projekt are obviously in panic mode because any such system would reveal the level of slavery that is going on at their gig.

It's very cute of them that they are attempting to hide their scandalous shit working conditions which they will be FORCED to change behind a "we'll do better in the future" Kotaku mouthpiece article.

There is a good article re the implications of the EU court ruling on the games industry right here.

*snip*

Game companies should take appropriate action now to avoid legal trouble after yesterday's European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling.

That's according to Sebastian Schwiddessen and Dr. Matthias Koehler from international law firm Baker McKenzie, which regularly advises companies from the video game and creative industries on media, IT and employment-related matters.

Yesterday the ECJ ruled that employers in Europe must set up a system to track the daily working hours of their staff. The decision is an effort to crack down on unrecorded overtime and properly enforce the EU Working Time Directive, which restricts employers from making staff work more than 48 hours a week, and grants at least 11 consecutive hours of rest every 24 hours.

CD Projekt panic mode confirmed. They are probably easily violating the directive by a factor of 2x as they enforce permacrunch on their staff.

News Comments > Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
19. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:42 CJ_Parker

BurntSoul wrote on May 17, 2019, 14:21:
They are already trying to stick their neck out for you by doing so, knowing full well they'd get more sales from Steam in a shorter time frame than you ever could at this point.

Say WHAT? You do realize that the publishers have been given money for these exclusivity deals, right? You do realize that they have been given A LOT of fucking money, right? You do realize that their beancounters must have figured it to be a better deal than putting the game on Steam from the start, right?
Or do you in all sincerity believe that any publisher did this "to stick their neck out" for Epic? LOOOOOOOOOOOOL... . That's really cute.

The above is also the exact reason why the anger at Epic is completely misdirected. The very simple fact of the matter is that the publisher (or a self-publishing developer) has a game that they publish. Only they decide where, when, how, why, at what price their game gets published. Period. If they accept an incentive "bribe" by EGS for an exclusivity deal then that's on the publisher.

Publishers aren't helpless little children that get bribed by pedo uncle Tim Sweeney into doing dirty things. They are corporations run by adults who consciously decide that it is a good idea to accept Epic's monies for an exclusivity period.
If I had a problem with these deals then I'd be pissed at the greedy publishers, not Epic.
I can understand that they are trying to score these exclusives to kickstart their store. I can also understand if (self-publishing) indie devs are signing these deals. But there are also larger gigs like THQ Nordic (Metro Exodus) who accepted these bribes with their grubby little greed fingers.

Of course most people want to be pissed at EGS because if they were consequential they would have to boycott the greedy publishers who sign these exclusivity deals. And of course people can not boycott because they are addicted to gaming. They still NEED these games like a drug.

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
58. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:22 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on May 17, 2019, 00:02:
What Epic is doing in trying to secure exclusives is what monopolies - attempt to - do.

Valve pushing Steamworks DRM for many years now is a MUCH more monopolistic move than Epic's harmless TIMED exclusives.
Valve basically snagged nearly the entire PC retail business via Steamworks DRM.
With very few exceptions you haven't been able to buy a game at a brick & mortar store (or AMZ) for the last decade that does not have a Steam installer or just a Steam code inside the box. Steam got its tentacles everywhere.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 16, 2019, 22:29 CJ_Parker

SirKnight wrote on May 16, 2019, 22:16:
I'm thinking a good time to look into picking up Rage 2 is around QuakeCon time. It's not that long from now and they always have sales on Bethesda and id games. I kind of feel like Rage 2 won't take long for sales or price drops.

It's not like I have a lack of games around here so I can wait.

It seems obvious to me that the best time to pick up Rage 2 is some time after they have released that second expansion that is coming in November. The game is a pretty, empty, soulless shell with great gunplay but very little content (world, story, characters) by all accounts. It's all bones and very little meat so far.

They obviously held back the content/meat for the already announced expansions that will fill the world with shit to do. I won't touch it before there is a GOTY and until that complete version goes on sale.
As much as I hate all of that GaaS crap, kudos to Bethesda for releasing that roadmap. They are being very upfront about delivering a piecemeal at least.

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches May 16, 2019, 13:16 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2019, 11:28:
And you can't use it because Oblivion is a 32bit application and can't address more than 2GB of VRAM (even if you dot he "fix")... so yay?

Bullshit.

The 32-bit limit is 4GB RAM (NOT VRAM) for OS/applications and due to Windows + programs needing some RAM etc. it is 3.xGB depending on how much stuff you are running in the background.
Individual apps are limited to 2GB RAM (NOT VRAM) on 32-bit operating systems as long as you do not use the "4GB patch" (a.k.a PAE).
AGAIN: That's 2GB RAM, not VRAM. With the 4GB patch, Oblivion can address the full 3.xGB RAM (i.e. 32-bit 4GB RAM limit minus overhead).

There is no VRAM limit, however. The GPU addresses the VRAM, not the 32-bit application. The 32-bit application communicates with the graphics hardware via the DirectX API. The application is usually VRAM agnostic. The GPU can always address/allocate the full VRAM on the card and use it if necessary.

P.S.: There USED TO BE a 4GB VRAM limit ONLY in Windows versions 8/8.1/10 because Microshit FUCKED UP DirectX 9 in those versions of Windows. That issue had nothing to do with 32-bit limitations per se but it was a DirectX 9 vs. Microsoft Win 8.x/10 incompetence issue.
Microsoft finally fixed their shit with a long overdue update a while ago.
DirectX 9 applications under Windows 8.x/10 have been able to use/allocate the full VRAM compliment ever since that fix.
Many (pre-SE) Skyrim players/modders originally stayed on Windows 7 because of this shit by the way since Windows 7 did not have these DirectX 9 VRAM limitations.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2019, 13:50.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2019, 12:52 CJ_Parker

Endless mob spawns = instant deal breaker. Fuck this game.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
26. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 16, 2019, 12:47 CJ_Parker

FloorPie wrote on May 15, 2019, 21:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2019, 12:03:
An award for increasing toxicity in the gaming communities? Hell yeah.

Seriously. But who watches game awards shows anyway? Let alone the UK's BAFTA awards.

Wrong question.

Who doesn't?

18. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 15, 2019, 15:27 CJ_Parker

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 15, 2019, 13:38:
I see the butthurt are already in this thread, bent over and spewing shit as far and as hard as they can.

Hahahaha no kidding. Every butthurt victim please make sure to file your butthurtfulness report.

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 15, 2019, 15:07 CJ_Parker

GO EPIC GO EPIC GO GO GO!

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

News Comments > Rage 2 Reviews
9. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 11:10 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:44:
ForgedReality wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:19:
No thanks. Any game that has "review embargoes" is of no interest to me. Not at least until some real players review it, instead of paid shills.

Embargos don't mean shills. Not even sure how you'd expect that.

Well, the translation of a review embargo that ends a day before the release is:

Please give us favorable reviews in exchange for your right to publish early reviews (and if you want to receive keys before the release day in the future then make sure it is extra favorable).

Also, check out the Eurogamer link. They have received their review copy at the very last minute. Who knows when the other gigs got their copies? It could very well be that they also received the keys very late but still published their reviews just to have them out before tomorrow. Cuz clicks and ads.

Given the hype and regarding the fact that Bethesda apparently tried to "promote" positive reviews by setting that embargo as well as by possibly intentionally providing review keys rather late in time, I'd say that the reception is pretty damn lukewarm so far.

If I weren't intending to wait for the GOTY anyways then I'd take those scores as a huge caveat emptor. Sounds like the game is shallower than a puddle.

I also think that their product policy sucks. The already announced expansions reek of cut content. You only get the first expansion as a part of the deluxe version. The second one is apparently not included.
Seems pretty fishy. Looking at these reviews I have a suspicion that the base game has flashy gfx and solid combat but that they will add the actual content via the DLCs.

So, cya (maybe) at xmas sale 2020, Rage 2.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Roadmap
1. Re: RAGE 2 Roadmap May 12, 2019, 13:43 CJ_Parker

Ah. Another games as a service piecemeal release. How nice...

Nope.

-> GOTY, xmas sale 2020 (maybe), nuff said.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 23:54 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2019, 22:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 10, 2019, 21:17:
And then, in one of the strangest pitches I've witnessed, Valve told us that the remaining two pillars of low friction and affordability were problems for another day and not what the company was concerning itself with for the Valve Index.

That makes two of us, Valve. I'm not "concerning myself" with your overpriced garbage HMD either. Try harder next time.

And yet they sold out the first batch in 30 minutes.

No one knows how large the first batch was and I bet that the majority of the kits was bought by professional resellers to resell the Index at a higher price in their countries of origin. The Index is technically limited to one sale per account but it's easy to work around that limitation for professional resellers with helpers.

It is obvious that Valve put a low limit on the first batch. If you visit the Index page now you can "reserve" a spot in line and Valve will e-mail you once the HMDs are back in stock.
Thereby they are effectively forcing interested parties to wishlist the Index which is a smart sales tactics to gauge future demand.

Personally, I have no idea why anyone would buy that piece of shit. It is a very weak product at that price.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 21:17 CJ_Parker

And then, in one of the strangest pitches I've witnessed, Valve told us that the remaining two pillars of low friction and affordability were problems for another day and not what the company was concerning itself with for the Valve Index.

That makes two of us, Valve. I'm not "concerning myself" with your overpriced garbage HMD either. Try harder next time.

5058 Comments. 253 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo