Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for FloorPie

Real Name FloorPie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description junk and like..stuff
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 08:32
Total Comments 441 (Amateur)
User ID 19464

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
33. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 18:16 FloorPie

Saboth wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:32:

Also, there's a reason the Steam Sales are getting worse, and that's because they realized there's really no reason for massive discounts because they are the only game in town. And yes, while developers are the ones who decide discounts, I have no doubt Steam plays a role in "influencing" them, as these days, the old discounts of 90%, where you could get a game for $1 or $2 seem to be completely over.

So yeah, I do hope competitors do well, as that will force Steam to do better.

No, the sales are getting worse because the economy has changed (like credit card processing fee hikes) and publishers are trying to keep the value of their game higher for longer instead of letting their game hit $12 bundle status. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have AAA games that can drop 25-50% in a matter of 1-3 months (see Epic's subsidized sale price of Genesis Alpha One, $30 down to $10 3 months after release) these days. You were waiting for some rando deal on a game 1-2+ years old to get 90% off? Talk about greedy.

Steam instead of the silly flash sales which most smart customers would just wait till the end of the same to buy anything unless they caught the daily/flash sales now has static holiday sales and midweek/weekend sales and free weekend play. Those are your new flash sales.

As for the other silly pro Epic anti Steam arguments. Steam is at worst a monopoly on access except for big publishers who went on their own in the past 10 years. It has no monopoly on price as there are many 3rd party offically supported by devs/publishers that sell games on Steam. I've complained about many games that start only on Steam and/or have no 3rd party key sellers. That or the games are delayed for business/technical reasons and then months or a year or two later brought to places like GoG, drm free.

Epic with their strategy of exclusives to drive people to their store is anti-competition. Now many think that is the only way they stand a chance of surviving against Steam or at least carve out 30% or whatever number of the market. If that is the case, you don't insult gamers (no reviews, forums) and support your publishers bashing gamers for looking out for their own interests on price, security, longevity of the platform like MS GFWL's shut down mentioned earlier. Publishers/devs can look out for their own interests but not customers.

You don't open up a digital store that is so half-assed that you have no shopping cart. I don't like the store's lazy design or lack of organization for games/genres etc. but to have no shopping cart that you have to buy 1 game at a time? That is ripe for fraud protections going off getting people locked out of their credit cards or Epic itself doing that to customers in their first big sale. Toss in exclusivity with no 3rd party options (Humble doesn't count as its only something like 2-3 games they can sell so far) and its obvious why people don't like the Epic store.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 18:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
49. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 19:12 FloorPie

Meh. TLDR:

A sale lasting almost a month with 4 or so free games is a bit telling on how well Epic is doing. I'd care less about the various problems of the Epic half assed store if there was price competition and exclusives that lasted no more than 6 months and few if any complaints about their security controls protecting your account and card info. I mean some of their exclusives make no sense to buy there, namely the ubisoft ones.

Of the two Epic only games I'm interested in, the prices are ok. Satisfactory is only $10 off and that really just covers the extra costs of using a prepaid visa card with admin fee. I suppose I could risk paypal. I sure as hell don't trust Epic's Store with my card for security reasons. I'm also only really considering that game because I had 50+ hours of time in the alpha test over 4 months.

Genesis Alpha One seems like a great deal at $9.89. Though that is a hefty discount after 4 or so months. Glad I didn't buy into that one. Gotta get more people buying I guess. That is single player only and from let's play/streaming impressions it still needs some work. I'd much rather buy it DRM free on GOG than even steam. Steam would only be worth it if it has workshop/mod support. Epic? Hah. Only if truly desperate to play it and the 66% discount.

The new Subnautica stand alone game in EA is 9.99 which was the standard sale price for the orignal game for years during steam sales. No real benefit there other than you don't have to wait another 5 weeks for Steam's summer sale.

Also, I guess Rime is a good game but it never really interested me. I've also had the ps4 copy for free since last year via PS Plus and free on GOG for 6 months? I honestly forget when I got it for free there. But yay, more free games I likely won't play.

I wonder what has happened to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. I thought they were due to release in early winter this year.

News Comments > Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced
12. Re: Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced May 15, 2019, 22:25 FloorPie

MisterBenn wrote on May 15, 2019, 09:39:
I must confess I left Stellaris behind too after the Megacorp release. It was a culmination of several issues. The game is still not feature complete 3 years after release (still no intelligence layer.) The diplomacy has plenty of features but the AI barely participates, other than to just set diplomatic status according to its like/dislike score. The gameplay systems seem overly restrictive (forced end war, can only declare on certain people, and so on) which leads to a gamey feel that I didn't expect from a sandpit style game with huge galaxies. There are too many abstract resources to balance that add to the gamey feeling. The DLC have added additional playstyles but in effect they have added multiple ways to do things with a lot of overlap, that seems to have bloated the feature list without really enriching the strategies you can get involved with.

The DLC policy has contributed to a feeling that Stellaris has been an ever-changing beast... the game is designed a certain way, it settles down, some nice mods appear on top and it feels pretty stable. Then a major update comes out, the mods don't work, some central game functions are completely reworked, many critical functions and gui items cease working, and everything feels like it's regressed for a few weeks while official patches and mods scramble to become stable again. It seemed ridiculous to me that for significant periods of time after release, major parts of the game were not working at all. Or like with the megacorp release, the AI was completely non-functional for weeks after release. You've gotta have a lot of faith in the game to overlook things like that and trust that it will eventually get there - for me though I just felt that this was unacceptable for a released game. There are definitely some positives to the Paradox/Stellaris business model... some of the reworked mechanics are clear improvements to original versions. But I have ended up disillusioned where things feel too much like they are engineered to keep customers in the pocket, paying for updates for the life of the game.

Much as that was a bit of a rant, there's a lot to like in the game. It clearly has the best space 4x flavour around imo, with nods to pretty much any sci-fi book/TV/film that you happen to love. If somehow you are into multiplayer then the Stellaris engine is great for that. I know the game makes a lot of people happy - I think you have to be the type of player that will happily accept the mechanics and the dev cycle the way they are, and be in it to enjoy the ride.

Edit: oh - check out the Starnet AI mod. It's a rework for the AI players that makes them a lot more like a multiplayer game (emphasis on military techs, maintain large fleets and swallow up weaker neighbours with no remorse.) Several people have said this AI is genuinely a big threat. No idea as to the status of the mod with regards to the latest DLC that came out, but the prospect of AI players that can actually kick your ass is pretty inviting.

A good rant that I completely agree with. I'd forgotten about the forced end to wars. The game is pretty UI wise and has lots of charm with the story stuff. Early game was often enjoyable exploring the galaxy but I would lose interest by the mid game.

My rule for Stellaris for the past two years has been once you start a game, finish it within 2-4 weeks otherwise there will be a patch that will bork your game save and I gave up on using mods that weren't just cosmetic.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
20. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 15, 2019, 21:55 FloorPie

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2019, 12:03:
An award for increasing toxicity in the gaming communities? Hell yeah.

Seriously. But who watches game awards shows anyway? Let alone the UK's BAFTA awards.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Released
30. Re: RAGE 2 Released May 14, 2019, 21:13 FloorPie

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 14, 2019, 18:15:
Darks wrote on May 14, 2019, 15:28:
...along with the linked account that is forced in place.

This is utter bullshit. I have played 9 hours so far without a linked account.

Good to know. Forcing account linking was a no go for me.

News Comments > Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced
7. Re: Stellaris: Ancient Relics Announced May 14, 2019, 20:01 FloorPie

Simon Says wrote on May 14, 2019, 16:12:
Game is unplayable in mid to late game and they're still adding content?

What about bug fixing first?

This is Paradox and with Stellaris they've been fixing, finishing and forever changing the game since release. Fix bugs? Hah, they're going to fix the supposed boring tedious tile system of planet management by making it involve even more micro management. I saw earlier they've changed sector AI system yet again, the third time in three years.

I got fed up after 2.1. 2.0 was ok with some fixes but they made things worse by putting in their stupid EU rule sets of 1600s European politics that don't often work for a interstellar empire.

I mean, I get the change to hyperlanes only. I don't like it but I understand it. They at least made borders more static and sane instead of based on a weird cultural spread concept that made federations pointless as the player. They slow the game play down even more then before for early game and then add in war weariness with 2.0/2.1 that was just retarded. Oh, and you couldn't declare war on someone you didnt share a border with.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 6, 2019, 15:43 FloorPie

It took less than a day for my laptop to get hit with one of those Indian tech support scam ads loaded onto a FF tab all thanks to no adblockers and noscript addons.  

News Comments > Full Steam Behind for Rocket League? Epic Acquiring Psyonix
6. Re: Full Steam Behind for Rocket League? Epic Acquiring Psyonix May 1, 2019, 21:59 FloorPie

Must've been a whole lotta cash to get them to sell. Not sure this is really gonna grow their RL brand on PC.  

News Comments > ANNO 1800 Off to a Record Start
3. Re: ANNO 1800 Off to a Record Start Apr 29, 2019, 20:53 FloorPie

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 17:55:
I haven't picked it up yet, but will as soon as gmg has it back in stock. Not sure how a digital code can go "out of stock" but it's been like this for weeks.

I'm glad the game is doing well. I've had fun with the beta

You'll be waiting a long time. After release the game is only sold on Epic game store and Uplay.

News Comments > What is RAGE 2?
13. Re: What is RAGE 2? Apr 26, 2019, 02:58 FloorPie

Better trailer than Borderlands 3 was. Now that its going to be on Steam and not just Bethesda launcher I may give it a look.  

News Comments > Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives
44. Re: Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives Apr 25, 2019, 20:01 FloorPie

Bodolza wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 13:47:
People sure do have short memories. Steam is anti-consumer, monopolistic trash. I'd be happy to see the platform die ASAP. They're solely responsible for the death of right of resale for PC games. How rich that people complain about exclusives, when Steam itself already has tons of exclusives.

It's a privacy nightmare with the ability to track everything you do. It forces updates both for its own client and applications more frequently and forcefully than Microsoft ever did. It's a resource hog even when doing nothing. It's also full of DRM.

I personally try to use GOG for as many purchases as possible.

Resale for PC games was already dead for a number of reasons. Steam was just the nail in the coffin and I'm one of those people that avoided Steam until 2010 or so. At least these days you can get a game "new" as it were on sale sometimes 40-75% off within a year. I don't recall seeing that very often in retail PC games unless its a closeout. Only store I see that happen at these days is Walmart for what few retail PC games they carry.

You can also turn off game updates if you want in Steam.

Anyone know if Gamestop still open new sealed games before selling them? That killed me from ever buying PC games from them.

News Comments > Chris Roberts on Fixing Anthem
8. Re: Chris Roberts on Fixing Anthem Apr 21, 2019, 12:39 FloorPie

CRoberts being Croberts as per usual.

"...This is also reflected in his comment on No Man's Sky: "The problem was players' expectations were so far beyond that."

Insert J. Jonah laughing.gif here. I've been known to defend NMS and the devs have made good so far on their game but lets be honest. They oversold the game and what it could do hardcore which just amped up gamer's expectations.

News Comments > More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS
57. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 14:21 FloorPie

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 12:11:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 11:32:
At the very least, people need to realize that very few of any 'savings' services like Epic may provide will translate to the consumers(players).

Once more: No one has claimed that the lesser EGS cut is for the gamers. I already linked to the GameInformer article with Swimmy below. Swimmy himself said that they are doing the lesser cut for the "developers" (he meant publishers obviously since any entity that sells games on a digital storefront is a publisher by definition regardless of whether they developed the game themselves or not).

But, yeah, y'all Steam elitist shills go right ahead and ignore any and all facts that don't fit yer agenda. Gotcha. Epic is the devil. Publishers even more so except when they accept Epic's bribes cuz then they are innocent little angels who are seduced with candy by the evil pedo uncle Swimmy. The ordinary world of the simpleton.

Baloney. The devs of the Rebel Galaxy games have said as much. That it would benefit them as devs and gamers both in the long run. That has been the spin for months now to get people to ignore the short/medium term benefits the devs/publishers get with the Epic middleman taking a smaller cut that has no short term bennies like cheaper prices for the gamer.

News Comments > More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS
38. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 04:51 FloorPie

Randy lives up to the Pitchford name. Pitching out any idea to cover for a decision that just might not be a good one.

These devs/publishers sure do seem to love whizzing on people's heads and tell them its raining.

News Comments > Anno 1800 Released
7. Re: Anno 1800 Released Apr 16, 2019, 16:36 FloorPie

Never played the Anno games until the beta demo weekend. Looks like it has potential but I will probably wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC included.  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Gets Treasures of Turan DLC and Season Pass
2. Re: Conan Exiles Gets Treasures of Turan DLC and Season Pass Apr 15, 2019, 13:31 FloorPie

It is a good game and overall probably my favorite survival game next to subnautica and empyrion. The most fun I've had is with 5-10 friends on a private server. Public ones definately have the problems you mentioned. Some of that is countered by increasing gather rates at least but I avoid public servers for the most part. If you just want to build stuff single player/co-op works well enough.

Ditto on more character levels too.

News Comments > Conan Unconquered Gameplay Video
6. Re: Conan Unconquered Gameplay Video Apr 12, 2019, 15:13 FloorPie

Eh, it looks better than They are Billions art wise. Game looks like it could be good.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September
90. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 16:08 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:18:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:13:
Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 08:16:
It isn't as if Steam had this day one,

Actually it did have this day one. Most people bought Half-Life 2 on DVD.

But it didn't have GMG and the like.
Epic does have CD Keys. Again, Humble Bundle sells Epic Store products. Green Man Gaming doesn't today. I'd give it, I dunno, 6 months, tops?

No, they announced two weeks ago that they would be partnering with Humble to sell Epic game keys. Please link to me a game on sale at Humble that is Epic key right now. None of their big exclusives show up that I can see.

As to the price competition. Yes, going with exclusives kills price competition. I am amazed how many people refuse to see this and come up with endless excuses. Ubisoft seems quite happy to limit competition by going with the system Epic is offering. So yes I'm going to blame both, but especially Epic who started this whole nonsense to try and get their piece of the pie.

Heck, that dumpster fire known as Fallout76 headlined Bethesda's new launcher as an exclusive yet I could buy the boxed copy on Amazon before and after release as well as digital on GMG and Humble. Bethesda announced in the past week that FO76 and other games will be coming to Steam as well.

At best you have the realization that Epic is doing this slapdash and not really thinking ahead much. This may help the gaming customer in the long run but in the short run it means I have less choices on where to buy my digital game keys which means less competition.

Maybe Epic will indeed offer up summer sales etc. but then why bother? Ubisoft used to be horrible about having sales on Uplay compared to their products on Steam. That was one reason I bought Ubi games on Steam more often. They got better in the past year but now I doubt they'll try so hard since we're stuck with Uplay and Epic stores.

74. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 05:28 FloorPie

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 03:45:
  • Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:37:
    Desalus wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:32:
    If you play console games you should be used to this. PlayStation has exclusives. Xbox has exclusives. Nintendo has exclusives. Even on PC... Steam has exclusives. Origin has exclusives. Now Epic has exclusives.

I don't see any other way for Epic to compete with the monopoly of Steam besides doing what they are doing.

That's not even comparable. If you wanted an Xbox exclusive, you had to pay $300 to buy an Xbox. With this, you have to... download an installer from someone else.

I get that it's annoying, and that it doesn't offer immediate consumer benefit, but at the same time, the anger seems so disproportionate for something that literally requires nothing more than going to a different website.

People complain that Steam is a monopoly, then they complain that Epic is trying to do something about that.

Except that Epic is not offering up real competition. Where is price competition? With their exclusive deals they are reducing options. Ubisoft has killed off 3rd party key sellers with their new games going Epic and Uplay only.

Long term, maybe more devs/pubs make more money andproduce better games/more content but in the short term, gamers/customers lose out by prices being inflated for longer.

56. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 17:56 FloorPie

Yet another reason to be meh about BL3. See you with the GOTY/Gold edition with all of the endless DLC they put in.  

441 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo