Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for FloorPie

Real Name FloorPie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description junk and like..stuff
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 08:32
Total Comments 474 (Amateur)
User ID 19464

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 19:32 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 16:39:
Ugh, if you're going to boycott Borderlands 3, boycott it for being a rehash of the past several games, with no major innovations; don't get your panties in a bunch over the preferences of fictional characters.

Is that the only approved form of BL3 dislike and/or boycott reason now? I know skipping the game for Epic Game Store reasons is clearly bad. Obviously thinking a robot would be binary (hah hah) and non-sexual is bad.

At least make him non binary quantum drived robot with a C3PO gay voice and cyborg pets that you can romance at the same time (I want all the babes Bioware!). Robo-cyborg-human orgy! The edgy-ness! Oh wait, then Gearbox would be making a henati game and those are only Steam. Curse you Epic standards!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2019, 01:25 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 18:40:
NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 16:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 15:28:
Something no big deal became an excuse for you to call a woman a white,

Oh my god Beamer, you can't just tell someone they're white!

Y'know, it took me several tries, and I still couldn't get my phone to say "whore"

Clearly your phone is on a depression quest.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2019, 16:27 FloorPie

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 16:07:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 16:06:
Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 15:15:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 12:56:
Men on Tinder do not appear to be intimidated by highly educated women, according to new research

Hot is hot, amirite boys?

Out-earning me is hot. Better apartment, better vacations, better restaurants, etc.!
One of my friends is a fitness instructor. Both her ex husband and the last couple of guys she went out with left her because she runs her own business and makes more money.
Why is she attracted to insecure wankers.

Because she wants to be on top? Either way, you guys act like women have never dumped a man because he wasn't making enough money, no matter how much she makes.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 01:50 FloorPie

Slick wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 01:12:
Slashman wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 00:33:
Slick wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 22:26:

The payment processor is more expensive, and I honestly don't know how much it costs, but considering they do probably a billion transactions a year on Steam, I can't see the processors charging much. They'd be climbing over each other to land that contract, another purely rent-seeking business. Just run payments through a server, kick your feet back, and make a hundred million pure profit in a year from a single client if they charge 10 cents per transaction.

So you're just talking out of your ass then. Because it feels good to make Steam the big bad guy.

Yes, I don't have exact figures for their payment processing, I doubt anyone outside of a select few at Valve know that number. But running an online business myself, I do have some experience with this. Payment processing is a large part of running an online store, but it's usually 30-50 cents for us small fries. With scale things get cheaper.

Wow, you actually got it right. The average take on credit card processing fees is 3%. See gasoline prices at cash/debit vs credit places for confirmation. The 76's or Chevron stations near the Arco's that only do cash/debit tend to be only about 3% higher on price per gallon. The chevron stations farther away go up more in price. Lack of competition in the immediate area I suppose.

So now valve is making only 27% of a sale. Minus operating costs which apparently you think don't exist. I'm sure dealing with charge backs/refunds doesn't cost money either or effect banking/credit costs. Oh, and lets not forget any currency exchange fees. My credit card company is back to charging me a fee for doing business with the Polish GoG even if I use paypal as the processor/middleman. DRM free now costs me on average an extra $1.50. It often now makes more sense to buy GoG wallet money for multiple transactions.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 21:29 FloorPie

Slick wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 20:43:
And for anyone who still doesn't understand what 30% of gross means:

A game costs $10

Valve's 30% gets them $3

Their costs are about $0.02

Total net profit for Valve $2.98

Publisher's 70% gets them $7

Their costs are to: pay the programmers, pay the level designers, pay the concept artists, pay the texture artists, pay the modelers, pay the sound designers, pay marketing, pay for servers, pay for QA, pay for customer service, pay for the office space, pay for engine licencing, pay music royalties, etc. etc. etc So how much do you think is left? If they're lucky they have $3 profit at the end.

Why should Valve get the same cut for essentially just hosting a server with zero human input required, as all the people collectively who actually work to make the games that we love?

I'm not saying EGS is the solution, but if you haven't been paying attention, Valve's behaviour is the problem.

Hehe. Yes, cost is just .02. Indeed. And bandwidth costs nothing. So says my ISP Comcast... who has had a hard limit at 1TB/month these days. Yet we have many games at 50-100GB installs.

Oh and no costs regarding banking/credit card fees. Why, middlemen have no costs at all. Which, if were true they wouldn't exist because the manufacturers aka devs/publishers would sell the games directly.

Re Origin at feature parity, really? Forums, reviews? Streaming? Not that I really care that Origin does or doesn't have social media type features.

Its been awhile since I've run Origin as I only have BF1 installed with it but last I saw their backup process was to copy a directory manually and start the download in the new install spot, stop it and copy over the old directory in its place. Not as slick as Steam's current setup but hopefully it works more than not. Blizzard uses the same method and it has been cranky for me lately. Some work, some refuse and require re-download. For some games, especially on Origin it makes sense to zip up those install directories first btw. Blizzard usually has their game files packed up in larger files instead of thousands of small files.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2: Winds of Magic Next Week
2. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2: Winds of Magic Next Week Aug 6, 2019, 14:51 FloorPie

Well, it is Beastmen invading.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2019, 18:00 FloorPie

Burrito, if you think the gun controllers will stop at your 9 shot .22's and bolt action coyote guns or even your 6 shot revolver for killing snakes you are in denial. In Oregon they wanted earlier this year to put the max capacity magazine for all guns at 5 rounds. Is your snake gun a 5 shot or the more common 6 shot? Is 5 or 6 going to matter? It means your old revolver is going to be illegal, put you in jail for a year and a $5k fine (in law proposed). Two reasons I'm looking at concealed carry revolvers these days, size/reliability and that most are 5 shot cylinders. Until it is deemed by our wise elders and statespersons that 5 is too many. Then it is on to bows and crossbows.

My grandfather used an old .22 pump action rifle that could hold 15+ 22S, 22L and 22LR to kill snakes on his ranch. They want to call those "assault weapons" now.

The question will always be, where is the limit? We see the same in various drug laws. Some that are an imperfect solution that sort of work to solve a bad problem to others that are batshit insane... but sound good, look good and make governments money. Lots of money and more control over the people.

The insanities of the war on drugs is what made me realize that gun laws are the same thing just a different day as it were.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on Epic Games Store Plans
8. Re: Tim Sweeney on Epic Games Store Plans Aug 4, 2019, 13:30 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 12:14:
I'm looking at it now as more of a beta period, although it seems like most games are going to still be FULL price when they get released a year later on Gog and Steam? That should definitely NOT be the case.

Oh the games will be full price or 10-20% off for the first 1-2 weeks on new platforms. That has been the norm for the last couple of years.

Sweeney really is not good at PR. His store exclusives are not Epic produced (direct or outside/subsidiary dev team) games, not yet anyway. Second, no one really likes that their favorite tv show or movie is exclusive to Hulu or Netflix or Amazon the second it is on a service/network they don't pay for. Same thing is going to happen with games.

Only real difference is I don't have to subscribe to Epic games service. Just put up with an inferior storefront product. Although that seems to be where many big publishers are going with Ubisoft joining EA, MS, Sony with a monthly game pass service. More games as a service nonsense.

When Epic came out of the gate and catered to their "real customers" namely the game makers, you knew what they really cared about and it is not the end user/customer/consumer who actually buys the products they are selling on their store without a shopping cart, in 2019. Talk about not understanding how to run a middleman business. You have to cater to both sides of the equation.

Getting the devs who signed up on board the hate train for anyone daring to call a spade a spade made things worse. Yes, its obviously a smart business decision in the short-medium term. Thats fine, I get it and won't buy it because its usually not in my interest to do so as a customer on a number of fronts. Credit card processing or currency exchange fees being one not mentioned much in this debate.

But when you wizz on my head and tell me its raining, I'm not going to respond well. Game goes exclusive 2 weeks out from release? Oh noes, the internet hate machine treats you badly via forums and reviews! How horrible that its unfair at times. Do you devs, publishers smell the dung you're shoveling? In this industry of day one dlc, loot boxes, online only games as a service, unfinished games with "we'll patch it later" (see Epic store feature list, FO76 etc..) and endless little annoyances all to play a game?

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity
31. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 20:01 FloorPie

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 13:34:
They've also been handing press copies of Satisfactory out like candy to any streamer or YouTuber with even a modest following, including a lot who are big Fortnite streamers and have Epic Creator Tags, which give them a cut of the sale. I'm sure they're not counting those press copies as sales but by handing out so many to big Fortnite streamers (who by extension, have a huge audience with the Epic Launcher already installed), it was probably a smart move to drive organic sales. Just a theory though.

They did offer me a press code for it (and I'm a tiny Mixer streamer with 1,500 followers, who pulls an average or 10-20 concurrent viewers a stream) and I'll be co-streaming it with someone this weekend, who is even smaller and also got offered a code. I literally have a chat timer that says "I don't think you should use the Epic Store right now but if you do and this game looks cool, here's my tag to help support me." I make next to nothing in commission from affiliate links and donate all the proceeds to Extra Life, I just use it for the tracking data to show indie devs I'm worth dealing with. People are always free to make up their own minds but I won't hide my opinion of Epic just because I got the game for free.

This confirms many of my thoughts and impressions on Satisfactory. Its not that niche now given its marketing, nice graphics, stable gameplay and that it is first person instead of top down like Factorio. I've noticed that many streamers are not too open or upfront about Epic affiliate links fearing a backlash I guess.

I'm wary of the 500k sold number and many speculate that that is simply the number of copies Epic guaranteed to buy up at the end of year 1 if they didn't actually sell that many copies.

Its a good game and is the only game I'd pick up on Epic right now simply because I've played the alpha. Almost got it for $20 but was still burned out from the alpha. Everything else can wait and Epic's desperation sale follies said more about the state of things than any viral marketing campaign from Satisfactory devs could.

As for MW5 and one million copies.... yeah, sure you betcha bub.

News Comments > First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store
14. Re: First Cloud Saves on Epic Games Store Jul 26, 2019, 17:11 FloorPie

Avus wrote on Jul 26, 2019, 15:00:
Player EGS moved out of Ancient Era and go into Classical Era...

They have the BRONZE! Watch out Valve Battleships, Epic Phalanxes are about.

News Comments > Interstellar Space: Genesis Released
3. Re: Interstellar Space: Genesis Released Jul 26, 2019, 01:14 FloorPie

Very tempting. I see that on Humble you get a steam key and drm free version.  

News Comments > Moonlighter and This War of Mine Free on the Epic Games Store
4. Re: Moonlighter and This War of Mine Free on the Epic Games Store Jul 25, 2019, 20:40 FloorPie

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 25, 2019, 20:36:
I could only get one of the freebies because they don't have a shopping cart and it required extra clicks of the mouse.
I keed I keed, I definitely snagged em both.

And yet, even on their freebies, you gotta click each one at a time. TOP CODERS at Epic... TOP. Coders.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive
23. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive Jul 25, 2019, 20:38 FloorPie

Bumpy wrote on Jul 25, 2019, 19:58:
I appreciate Epic encouraging me to save my money each time they sign on a game.

See you in a year, MW5, at a greatly reduced price.

Heh, its Pirhana. They'll definately take the route of a "new" release on Steam/GoG or whoever with at best 10% off prices because you know, its new to Steam.

News Comments > GeForce RTX 2080 Super Reviews
14. Re: GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming Reviews Jul 23, 2019, 17:16 FloorPie

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 15:57:
I can never hear the word super without laughing. My old boss used to say it constantly when people would ask how he was, "I'm just super, thanks!" "Super?" "Super duper!"

The Geforce Super moniker has brought up several times the old Southpark Big Gay Al line from 20 years ago, "I'm Super! Thanks for asking!"

And no, these new cards don't look cute with their mirror finish face plate "hats". The custom cards are all $30-100 over the MSRP. You want a 2070Super with decent cooling or disco rgb lights? $550. For mid-range. I saw a 3 fan version for $580 that was 1% faster than a stock $500 card.

Nvidia has bumped up prices $50-150 across their whole product line and AMD is tagging along with the 5700 cards being $50 overpriced.

If you are looking for a card in that range, the old now 2070 cards are on sale in some places down to $420-450 AR, so a bit faster than 2060 Super ($399 base) for small price increase with custom card cooling/lights etc.. The now old 2080 cards might start going on sale in the next 2 weeks for some decent deals but the 2080 isn't much faster than a 2070 super.

The less said about the 2060 6gb original version (6 months old too) the better. At least a few of those have hit less than $300 on sale. There is some hope that the distinct lack of sales will force Nvidia to drop prices this fall but I wouldn't count on it.

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS
47. Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS Jul 22, 2019, 20:11 FloorPie

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 11:42:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 18:22:

Complete bullshit. Every single game using Steamworks DRM is Steam exclusive.

Using SteamWorks DRM =/= Steam Exclusive, unless you are just trying to be as disingenuous as possible in your argument.

Example: Monster Hunter World GMG Sale: $27.00 Current Steam Price: $59.99

Details, details! Its still a monopoly man! Exclusivity! Well, besides being on consoles too. Both MHW and Skyrim (what isn't that game on now). Nevermind that whole price competition thing, STEAMWORKS IS DRM! Well, yes, duh. At least Epic is finally letting about 15 games/pre-orders be sold on humble.

I could have sworn the devs for RGO said it was coming out in Jan/Feb. Maybe they took the Epic cash to help smooth things out before release. Oh well. A single player game locked to a newbie store does not do it for me. I'll wait for a GoG release in 1-2 years. Hell, it may end up in a humble bundle in a year.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation
17. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 18:58 FloorPie

Its Pirhana games, of course they'll take a cash payout from Epic or anyone offering one.  

News Comments > What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia?
16. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 13:29 FloorPie

Dear Lord, this is the internet era Andrey. Its not hard to find a cd player these days. Just walk into your local walmart and buy one if you don't want to order online.

I'm also totally convinced that the metadata/saves will totally work with non Stadia versions of games.

News Comments > PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store
3. Re: PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store Jul 16, 2019, 20:24 FloorPie

Meh, good if you wanted VR version on PC I guess. Its $20 on PS4 these days, disc version even which is about the max I'd pay for a tetris game these days.  

News Comments > Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund
11. Re: Factorio Seeks G2A Chargeback Refund Jul 13, 2019, 22:04 FloorPie

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 20:28:
Holy shit, the chargeback fee to the Developer/Publisher is $20 !?!? That's insane! Is that automatically filed by the credit card companies when a customer reports a suspicious charge? It seems like that could potentially bankrupt small studios.

I'm honestly surprised that various digital entertainment companies don't charge people fees to use a credit card. The outcry of anger probably keeps them tolerating the expense. I've noticed I'm getting hit with foreign exchange fees thru paypal managed credit card charges now on one of my cards for GoG purchases which means I'm paying $1-3 more for games in some cases.

If you've ever bought a gun in the USA, you'll learn quickly that gun stores make little to no money on selling new guns, its all made in accessories. Margins are razor thin in many industries. Much like MS or Sony selling their hardware at a loss and making it up on game software.

I have very little sympathy for game companies when it comes to regional pricing anymore though. Thats the pain of living in a "global economy" especially with digital goods that you don't really own unless you go DRM free route. Nevermind the endless DLC/season pass games they all play to maximize profits.

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
9. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 9, 2019, 15:05 FloorPie

aka_STEVE wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 14:33:
did anyone notice the complete irony in the drivers ..?

Nivida announces these new drivers are optimal for Division 2 & boost performance.
- then in the actual pdf notes; they clearly state that the Division 2 still crashes on these drivers in DX12 .

OK, ...so now the game optimally crashes ???

you can't even make this shit up, at this point.

Wow, nvidia seems to have issues with that game engine/series in dx12. I seem to remember they had dx12 issues for months last year in Division1.

474 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo