|
|
 |
Archived News:
BioWare Austin announces Shadow Realms will not see the light of day,
circuitously saying they've "made the decision to not move forward with
development" of the four-versus-one multiplayer action game. Just
last month a
rumor on Kotaku said the game was being either cancelled or rebooted, and
the other boot has now dropped. Introducing his update, BioWare Austin general
manager Jeff Hickman says "I want to explain more behind this decision," however
the reason the game is being cancelled is not actually touched upon. All he says
in this regard is: "While the team did amazing work on the game concept and we
got lots of great feedback from our fans at events and through other game
testing, right now there are other projects for the team to work on within the
BioWare studios for the coming year and beyond." He concludes saying they are
looking for a way to thank those who signed up for the alpha test.
Iceberg Interactive announces they will release a new Full Metal Zombie
DLC pack for Gas Guzzlers Extreme
on Steam one week from
today on February 16th. We have
some
screenshots showing off the pack, along with the following
details: Veteran video game publisher Iceberg Interactive announced today
that the all new gruesome zombie-filled DLC Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal
Zombie is coming to Steam Monday, February 16. Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal
Zombie is the second DLC for Gas Guzzlers Extreme, with its first DLC Full Metal
Frenzy already released in May of 2014.
Full Metal Zombie is jam-packed with an enhanced brand of zombie-crushing
gameplay that stars a two-story high zombie monster boss, enormous, feral zombie
animals bent on ramming your car, and hordes of flesh-hungry zombies determined
to gnaw your car to bits. The impressive level of new content is so big it’s
almost an entirely new game.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal Zombie takes place in a Zombie apocalypse
that’s taken over the hi-octane Gas Guzzlers Extreme universe. Armed to the
teeth with high-powered weaponry, dangerous vehicles, and insane power-ups that
litter each arena, players are more than capable of obliterating the hordes of
the undead – but only if they’re smart.
Full Metal Zombie plays like an entirely new game, introducing tons of new
ragdoll physics, a wild array of zombie AI (slow, fast, human, animal, monsters,
etc.), blood, and body parts flying around.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal Zombie Key Features:
- A total of 22 zombie variants, from regular old
zombies to ax wielding maniacs, to giant undead zombie animals packing
explosives, to an enormous minigun-wielding boss.
- An all new arena: Warburg, a HUGE new city map.
- A new vehicle: the Nightmare RTS, a fast, iconic
Japanese sports and drag racing car.
- Two new game modes: Defend the Base and Survival
(both single and multi-player)
- And a new military skin. Bust those Z’s like GI
Joe!
Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal Zombie will be available on Steam February
16, 2015 for $6.99. For more information on Gas Guzzlers Extreme: Full Metal
Zombie visit: store.steampowered.com/app/277821/.
Steam News announces a
free weekend is underway for
Interstellar Marines,
and when they say weekend in this case they mean week, as the first-person
shooter is free from now until Sunday afternoon. The game is also on sale for
66% off during that period. Here's word on the game: Interstellar Marines
resurrects the old school tactical FPS, offering a unique blend of co-op,
role-playing and non-linear gameplay. Set in a believable future, you take on
the role of an elite soldier handpicked to join Project IM, a top secret
military program being assembled to protect mankind from all dangers outside our
solar system.
- 10th Anniversary Sale on
GamersGate. Save up to 80%. New deals every 48 hours for 10 days.
- Jagged Alliance Flashback on
Steam. Save 75%.
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad with Rising Storm on
Steam. Save 75%.
Link of the Day:
Airplane Snore. Thanks
Ant.
A
post from last week on the Under the Ocean Steam forum explains that the
early access version of Under the Ocean is no longer being offered, as
one of the game's two original developers struggles to complete the project in
light of the departure of the programmer after the project ran out of money late
last year (thanks
MCV). Under the Ocean is the earliest of early access games, as it was one
of the dozen titles announced when Valve debuted the program
almost two years ago. Word from Paul
Hart is that he plans to soldier on in spite of all the setbacks: So
where does this leave the project without a programmer? Well, it leaves just me
left, out of money and maybe against better judgement and out of sheer
stubbornness, I am not quitting, I will not declare this project dead. I don't
care how long this takes, I don't care how hard, I WILL finish this project, by
myself if that's what it takes. I made a promise to finish this project and that
is exactly what I plan to do, against all odds.
This news will obviously come as a huge blow to everyone awaiting alpha 9, as it
means what we know as alpha 9 today will have to be shelved and completely
rebuild with my (limited) programming ability. Before you descend into nasty
remarks or anything of that nature, know Mike and I have been trying for the
longest time to try and get this thing out, and this has been one of the hardest
posts Ive had to make in my life, whatever emotion you feel for this, multiply
that by a year of work for a missed goal.
So lets talk financials, but I will be doing something that I have wanted to do
for some time while working on alpha 9, I will be de-listing the game from Steam
until a decent build is available, I think this makes the most sense as I don't
want to deceive people into thinking the game is one thing when it is not. So as
soon as I can hook it up, this game will be de-listed. As far as refunds, as I
mentioned before I don't have enough money to pay them at the moment, so when/if
sales start to happen again, I can start offering them again, but right now
refunds are coming out of my (non existent) bank balance, I may need to work
part-time to keep the dream alive, but more importantly feed my son. I will make
a post when the project starts making money again so you can start asking
again.
Jonathan Blow
tells Engadget that he's gone into debt to finance completion of The
Witness, the next game from the creator of Braid (thanks
GamesIndustry.biz). Sales of the puzzle/platformer were funding the new
game, but Blow explains that that income from Braid has dwindled as the sun sets
on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, two of its biggest platforms. "Not so many
people are buying digital games there," Blow says. "So the Braid income is not
nearly enough anymore to fund the team. I have borrowed a bunch of money to
finish The Witness. So I hope when it's done, some people buy the game." The
latest on The Witness is that it now contains triple the amount of gameplay
originally planned, and it includes 677 puzzles and runs about 25-40 hours. He
admits that the project may have taken too much time and money, but seems to
have a clear vision of what he hopes to accomplish, saying: "If there is
such a thing as taking 'too long,' we have probably already done that," he says.
"20 years from now, I am not going to care about whether we took an extra six
months or a year in development; I am going to care about the quality of the
game people got to play. It'd be a shame to sacrifice some of that quality just
to squeak the game out a little sooner. Though I do sympathize with people who
have been waiting a long time to play."
A thread in the
1C Company forum indicates that somewhere along the way, plans for Nuclear
Union were derailed, as there's a translation of a Russian post indicating the
post-apocalyptic role-playing game was cancelled somewhere along the way (thanks
RPGWatch via Xhemesis). There
is a post from December, however, with word that the project is possibly being
revived, as it points to
this trailer indicating Men of War developer Best Way is still looking to
complete this project with a new publisher, and for now the game has been
renamed Project 5. The video is from October, so things may have changed since
then, but it says this is still in preproduction, and they are targeting
Windows, Linux, OS X, and consoles, with no set release window as of now. Continue here to read the full story.
3000AD announces the release of Universal Combat CE for free
on Steam, celebrating
the 25th anniversary of the conception of Battlecruiser 3000AD, though Derek
Smart's first space game was not released to great controversy until seven years
after that. "Like them or hate them, my games have come a long way. In an
industry where most of the guys and games have come and gone, making it this far
is testament to my vision of catering to and being focused on an exclusive and
dedicated audience of like-minded gamers," explains Supreme Commander Derek
Smart. "I never set out to win them all; just the select few who liked these
sort of high-end complex games. By releasing this compendium for free, now that
space combat games are apparently making a comeback, my goal is to introduce a
new generation to these highly advanced capital ship combat games which still
have no equal. My games did it first; and they’re still doing it." Here's word
on the remastering: Remastered for the 2015 Steam release marking the 25
year anniversary since the world and characters that spawned the first
Battlecruiser 3000AD (1996)
game were created, thus starting the long journey.
This game is currently FREE exclusively on Steam. We have released it in order
to introduce a new generation to these highly advanced capital ship combat
games.
And since the graphics are now showing their age, we are in the process of doing
another refresh of this game which will be released later this year as Universal
Combat Advanced. It will also be available on Steam.
Retaining all the existing gameplay features*, this advanced version will be a
complete graphics (space and planetary) engine overhaul, an upgrade of the
entire 3D model (ships, stations, planet bases, character models, weapons etc)
and arts assets using the more advanced ones from our recent Line Of Defense MMO
game (also available here on Steam) as well as upgraded versions of all special
effects, audio and other similar game assets. It will also contain a new 32
mission campaign scenario playable with any of the capital ships in the game.
If you enjoy this v2.0 refresh of the game, then you can look forward to an even
better experience later this year.
* While there are currently no plans to add any new features, we are working on
a surprise feature that will completely blow your mind, while adding an even
more immersive experience. HINT: If you haven't yet, check out the Engstrom
class carrier, the GCV-Starguard in our Line Of Defense MMO game currently on
Steam Early Access. That is the same carrier that is now featured in this Steam
release of Universal Combat CE v2.0. And you get to fly it, though you can't do
that in Line Of Defense.
EA News announces details from the Battlefield Hardline open beta
testing, describing their takeaway from testing by more that six million
participants. Word is: Now, I know what you’re asking yourself. We’re
just five weeks away from the launch of Battlefield Hardline, how could we
possibly be acting on that feedback? Well, I can assure you we are. In fact,
we’ve already been prioritizing changes for things fans are talking about. So
you’ve still got a chance to be heard. The beta will end Monday night, February
9th Pacific Time. So get in there if you haven’t had a chance yet.
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank the community one more time. We love
the two way dialogue we’ve established. And now that you’ve driven millions of
miles in Hotwire, you’ve stolen billions of dollars in Heist, and you’ve
continued to show mad love for Conquest, we can’t wait until you get a chance to
play the whole package. We have seven multiplayer modes, nine diverse maps and a
full single player campaign that’s like nothing Battlefield has ever seen
before.
GfK Chart Track is back with a rundown of the top selling games in the U.K. for
the week ending February 7th. On the
PC top 30 Football Manager 2015 retains a toehold on the number one
position and Rocksmith 2014 makes a comeback to re-enter the chart at
number seven. On the
all platforms top 40 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare successfully
defended the summit. Here's
the summary of the
activity: The Top 3 remain unchanged this week meaning ‘Call of Duty:
Advanced Warfare’ (-21%) has now claimed 8 weeks at No1, equalling the total of
‘FIFA 15’.
Both ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (-23%) and ‘FIFA 15’ (-11%) hold on to No’s 2 and 3
respectively, while ‘Assassin’s Creed: Unity’ (+25%) jumps 4 places up to No4
thanks to several retailers promoting the PS4 version, whose ASP drops by £5
this week, down from £32 to £27. A non-mover at No5, ‘Minecraft: Xbox Edition’
(+6%) remains ahead of the Playstation Edtion which manages to climb 3 places to
No6, despite a 6% drop in sales.
‘Destiny’ (+15%) also jumps 3 places up the chart, moving back up to No7, its
highest position since the first week of the year. ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ (-16%)
slips one place to No8, but still manages to leapfrog ‘Far Cry 4’ (-21%) which
falls 3 places to No9. Ubisoft return to 3 games in the Top 10 this week as ‘The
Crew’ (+5%) rejoins ‘Far Cry’ and ‘Assassin’s Creed’ in the Top 10, sneaking up
one place from No11. No new titles break into the Top 40, however next week will
see the launch of the highliy anticipated ‘Evolve’ from 2K Games and the release
of Nintendo’s New 3DS XL console.
The Assassin’s Creed
Rogue page on Steam now offers modest minimum system specifications for
the imminent PC edition of the action/adventure game (thanks
HARDOCP). Here they are: MINIMUM:
OS: Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1 (64bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 GHzH
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTS450 or AMD Radeon HD5670 (1024MB VRAM) or Intel
HD4600
DirectX: Version 10
Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest driver
Additional Notes: Supported Video Cards at time of release: NVIDIA GeForce GTS
450 or better, GeForce 500, 600, 700, 900 series / AMD Radeon HD 5670 or better,
Radeon HD 6000, 7000, R7, R9 series / Intel HD4600, HD5200 / Note: Laptop
versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported.
- AMD vs. Intel Budget CPU Shootout on
TechSpot.
- ASUS Republic of Gamers G20 Gaming PC on
Techgage.
- Cooler Master CM Storm Ceres 500 Gaming Headset on
TweakTown.
- MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G Video Card on
Modders-Inc.
- Palit GEFORCE GTX 980 Super Jetstream on
pcGameware.
- SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism Gaming Headset on
TweakTown.
- Xigmatek Nebula C on
ocaholic.
This is getting a little weird, as this is the third week in a row we've had a
winter storm on Monday to kick off the week in style. If we have another one
next Monday I'm going to start to suspect that someone is off on vacation
leaving the weather running on autopilot through some hastily written macro.
|