It's been increasingly difficult to close the hood on my car, as one latch or the other would fail to latch properly, something I blamed on age, as the old girl certainly has her share of wear issues after 13 years and 113K miles. Because I am constantly opening and closing it to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining while sitting, today I decided to discard my assumption and looked closer, and sure enough there was something gumming up the works. This was mostly a peach-colored paste with what seemed to be insect bits in it, and it clung to everything it got on like glue, defying any sort of cleaning solvent until I tried something oil-based. I'm pretty sure the insect parts were from a bee or a wasp that got macerated in the latch because in cleaning bits off my fingers I suffered a slight sting, though thankfully there was only a trace of venom left in the stinger. After I finally de-gunked my hands I was able to fix up the latch quickly with some WD-40 and a toothbrush, and it worked like it's supposed to on the first try, so this seems that fixed things. Now I'm just stuck with my curiosity over whether the sticky stuff was bug guts, the start of a wasp hive, some unrelated plant matter, or what.
.. .. ..
All trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
News CGI copyright © 1999-2013 James "furn" Furness &
All rights reserved.
Chatbear v1.4.0/blue++: Page generated 13 December 2013, 13:44.