Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware > Headphones

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. No subject Apr 9, 2012, 17:17 Mordecai Walfish

Bucky wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 12:22:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:27:
For a microphone there's an easy solution to turn any decent pair of headphones into a headset - Antlion Modmic. This thing basically mounts/attaches to the side of any headphones and provides a detachable point using a small magnet. The 3M epoxy holds well, it won't hurt the headphones in any way and the included mic is very high quality, easily better than any gamer headset.

I might have to try that out. The desktop mic works well, but it seems to always be in my way.

Ditto! Thanks for the link, those look interesting. I too use a logitech usb desk mic with nice headphones because I listen to lossless music over them as well, and "gamer headsets" are pretty much always a sham. I cant help but feel that every pair of gamer headphones I have seen, tried, or heard stories about their "durability" (or lack thereof..) have a great degree of planned obsolescence to them, in order to get customers to re-buy the same product year after year.

Good quality headphones will last you 5-10 years *at least*, and for this reason having a separate mic was always a no-brainer for me.

Again, thanks for the link. =)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Clip the headphones cord to your clothing!!! Mar 18, 2012, 15:04 deqer

Be careful. Headphones are being made with switch/control device on the cord. It is positioned half way down the cord. It has a snap clip, so you can clip it onto your clothing.

Use the snap!

Otherwise, the switch/control will get caught on things, like your chair for example. Believe it or not, but if this switch/control gets caught like 20 times, it is enough to break it all of sudden--loose wiring in that head phone and you'll lose sound from that head phone.

This can happen on $300 quality headphones, and it can also happen with the slighest/lighest of catches/snags from that Snap. You wouldn't believe it. You almost start to believe that companies purposely put loose wiring in there, because they know it will happen, break, and you'll buy another.

12. No subject Mar 14, 2012, 15:32 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 20:39:
Hahah so I'm the scrub using the cheap, bad quality audio (I can't tell/don't care), gamer headset.

I don't know, I think most people could certainly tell side by side but I guess if you don't know what you're missing then you're probably better off. The trouble with the gamer market is that the low end is typically poorly constructed stuff with shitty performance and the high end is middling performance with flashy crap and gimmicks to justify the insane profit margins.

When I got out of the gamer gear market stuff and back into better designs I found myself really enjoying the nuances of audio more in most games. Dead Space was almost a difference experience, I can hear sound cues and nuances drowned in a noisy midrange previously. Didn't really have to hit the wallet very hard either, $20 amp and $130 on headphones that will likely last 5+ years. At $30 the mic is a bit of an extravagance but it gives all of the convenience of a headset with the performance good headphones so it was worth it.

however, i am not sure about the sound card and whether it'd be worth it. i can definitely hear a vast difference between my onboard chipset & my creative live 5.1!, but wondering if getting a pricier card would make too much of a difference. i have a dual boot too; so linux compatibility is an extra complication.

You can get a little pocket amp if you're worried about driving the headphones. Amazon has tons of them and you can always test things out first and buy it later if you feel you need it.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2012, 15:46.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11. No subject Mar 14, 2012, 05:42 rocketpcguy

thanks for the information Verno & Bucky, and my apologies to Sepharo

the reviews for the Sennheiser HD595 seem very good, but it seems discontinued in favour of the HD598 which is even slightly better. the ATH-AD700 seems great too; but the impression I got from reviews was that the hd59x had better bass. i think i might go for the hd598.

the Antlion Modmic is important too; I am using a yum cha desk microphone and it does get quite in the way and has below average quality.

however, i am not sure about the sound card and whether it'd be worth it. i can definitely hear a vast difference between my onboard chipset & my creative live 5.1!, but wondering if getting a pricier card would make too much of a difference. i have a dual boot too; so linux compatibility is an extra complication.

10. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 20:39 Sepharo

Hahah so I'm the scrub using the cheap, bad quality audio (I can't tell/don't care), gamer headset.

I got sick of "headphone hair" but still needed comfort, price, and non-shitty mic/audio.

9. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 14:12 Bucky

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 13:58:
I might have to try that out. The desktop mic works well, but it seems to always be in my way.

Give it a whirl man, it's a great little mic. I wish I had known about it sooner as I had been married to shitty gamer headsets for way too long due to the mics. It's nice to be back using quality headphones again.

They're a cool little shop too, the owner included a little thank you note on mine and you don't see that too often these days.

Done. I'm not an Amazon prime member though, so it'll be a week before I get to try it. Thanks for the heads up on that.

8. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 13:58 Verno

Give it a whirl man, it's a great little mic. I wish I had known about it sooner as I had been married to shitty gamer headsets for way too long due to the mics. It's nice to be back using quality headphones again.

They're a cool little shop too, the owner included a little thank you note on mine and you don't see that too often these days.

7. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 12:22 Bucky

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:27:
For a microphone there's an easy solution to turn any decent pair of headphones into a headset - Antlion Modmic. This thing basically mounts/attaches to the side of any headphones and provides a detachable point using a small magnet. The 3M epoxy holds well, it won't hurt the headphones in any way and the included mic is very high quality, easily better than any gamer headset.

6. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 10:27 Verno

Ideally you want to stay away from Logitech, Razer and other budget brands if you want quality sound. If you want "good enough to game with" then it really doesn't matter, spend $50 on anything because it's all pretty much the same with minor variations on comfort level. Open headphones will leak sound but also allow air in so your your ears won't sweat. You won't get as much lower range as a closed set but it's a more pleasant, detailed experience. If you have anyone else in the room then go closed, no question.

Personally I recommend something like the Audio-technica ATH-AD700 or the closed variant. The Senneheiser HD595/etc are also good and Beyerdynamic makes great headphones as well. You don't need to spend audiophile amounts of money either, $200 and under can get you amazing sound for the price and it will beat the shit out of gamer headphones any day of the week.

Anyways steer clear of gamer brands and don't go all audiophile with the amount of money you spend and you'll be fine.

5. Re: Headphones Mar 13, 2012, 09:41 Bucky

I think 'potentially' is the key here. The HD-555s had a noticeably improved soundstage, and I feel that the bass was better too, though that may be due more to the fact that the HD-555 is a technically superior set to the HD-280s than to the design of the headphones.

The thing I should probably make clear is that the bass was more pronounced with the HD-280s, but it wasn't as good. It sounded like they'd been tuned to be a bit heavier at lower frequencies, while the HD-555s seem to have better reproduction across the whole range.

With all this said, I should note that I'm no audiophile. I can help based on my limited experience with two sets, but the Amazon reviews will probably be more helpful overall. I just don't want you to drop that kind of money on my word alone.

4. Re: Headphones Mar 13, 2012, 01:17 rocketpcguy

i just discovered this "closed headphone" vs "open headphone" thing. i am reading that open headphones have better "soundstage" than closed ones (leaking sound is not a problem), but the bass is potentially less? did you notice less powerful bass in your HD-555 compared to HD-280? i am not expecting earth shattering bass, but i wouldn't want it less than my existing headphones.

i had my audio technica headphones since 2006; since I am very careful at handling my headpones and never move them away from my table. so i am thinking of splurging on the Sennheiser HD598 since it looks like it might last for quite some time, what do you think?

3. Re: Headphones Mar 13, 2012, 00:33 Bucky

Sennheiser. I owned a HD-280 PRO set before finally running over them with the chair. Now I have a HD-555 set, and I love them. Both are incredibly durable and put out fantastic sound. Both sets have made me completely loyal to the brand. My HD-555 have been dropped from the desk more times than I can count, I've run over the cord with the chair even more frequently, and they still sound fantastic and show only minimal signs of wear after years of use.

I'm pushing the sound to them with the Asus Xonar DX card, which was a huge step up from the onboard sound. Creative made me swear off sound cards, which was fine until I heard the difference that sound card made.

Looking through my history, I've had the Xonar since April 08, and the HD-555s since March 08. A pretty good track record for both.

Edit: I chose long ago to use a basic Logitech USB mic for voice communication. No one has ever had a problem hearing me, and it gave me a larger range of headphones to choose from.

2. Re: Headphones Mar 12, 2012, 15:23 Sepharo

My personal preference as someone who's not crazy about audio is the Logitech G330. I just want a comfortable, behind the head, gaming headset for a decent price and quality.

This is my second pair but the first lasted me over 3 years of serious wear and tear.

1. Headphones Mar 12, 2012, 13:42 rocketpcguy

i need to get some good headphones; both for gaming & general purpose use. it seems most audio-heads recommend i stay away from "gaming" headphones as the price is high for medium quality; but i wanted opinions here.

(i currently have a fairly cheap Audio-Technica ATH M20 and an external mic)

any recommendations? what do you guys use? i can go as high as $200.

also, i currently have a creative live 5.1! pci card; some people say i should upgrade my sound card too; but others say the difference is mostly the placebo effect and the cost is better off spend on better headphones. any thoughts?

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo