Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware > Pads, Laptops, etc.....input needed

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Pads, Laptops, etc.....input needed Aug 10, 2011, 17:01 MattyC

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 00:59:
As much as I dislike Apple, there currently is no real competition for an iPad 2. All the other tablets are just flawed. However, I fully understand your dislike of their DRM, and no flash is just plain Steve Jobs Retarded

I agree with the iPad 2 being the king. If you just have to have a tablet RIGHT NOW then the iPad is the one to get. If you can wait then I would do that if you just don't want to go Apple.

On the flash bit, meh. I hate Flash Click2Flash or a Flash blocker is one of the first things I install on any browser. It was clearly coded by the devil in hell and you can find an app for most anything or just jailbreak it.

EDIT: I should add that I understand that for now Flash is a necessary evil, I just wanted to point out that it is plenty rational for Jobs to hate it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Pads, Laptops, etc.....input needed Aug 6, 2011, 01:49 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 00:59:
I can't quite remember, but I think I read not too long ago that WebOS was all but dead, so I'd be wary of buying a WebOS tablet.

My buddy just got one he seems to like it.

But he's a bit of a WebOS fan since he had a couple of the palms and a treo and now that tablet. I messed around with it, definitely doesn't have the sometimes skippy UI animation of Android (or is that only my old ass Motorola Droid?) and seems just as slick as the iPad.

But that's only with less than an hour on iPad and WebOS HP tablet, so totally useless

2. Re: Pads, Laptops, etc.....input needed Aug 6, 2011, 00:59 Creston

As much as I dislike Apple, there currently is no real competition for an iPad 2. All the other tablets are just flawed. However, I fully understand your dislike of their DRM, and no flash is just plain Steve Jobs Retarded.

I would get a Droid tablet, but the current tablets with Droid on them are kinda shitty. Honeycomb (ie, Droid 3.0) is supposed to be released on a tablet somewhere in the second half of the year, so I would imagine that right around Christmas time would be a very good time to pick up a decent Droid tablet.

I can't quite remember, but I think I read not too long ago that WebOS was all but dead, so I'd be wary of buying a WebOS tablet.

Hope it helps...

Creston

1. Pads, Laptops, etc.....input needed Aug 5, 2011, 08:48 xXBatmanXx

I am a huge fan of the 300.00 fully functional laptops with Windows 7 on them. sellout.woot.com had an HP dual core for 300 last night, and I have been buying 300.00 Toshiba Laptops when they go on sale at Best Buy.

I am thinking about getting a pad of some sort, but don't want an iPad. I don't like their DRM, etc. There are some pads coming out now, but the prices are off the friggen charts. I am looking for one that I can homebrew and pimp out with lots of cool apps, etc etc etc. I want to be able to read "books", etc. Stream things off of the 'nets, load movies to it, etc etc etc. The more the better.

Looking to start a conversation in here about all this.

Thanks.

Bats.

Links:
The Laptops (Toshiba 655 series) have been buying for 300 or so:
http://tinyurl.com/3qqa3ju

HP Laptop that was 300 at woot: (but doesn't have full kb like the toshiba)
http://www.gadgets-freak.biz/hp-g62-407dx-amd-phenom-ii-p650/

Tablet that interested me...but don't like the OS (woot.com):
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4579730

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo