Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware > Nvidia 400 Series

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Moved Apr 20, 2010, 05:32 Closed Betas

Danazer wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 08:27:
Bucky wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 20:56:
While the 470 has a performance edge of 2%-10%, it efficiency is much worse (thermals, power draw and fan noise). A slightly faster, less efficient card isn't worth $70 to me.

Great point... the whole idea of buying new cards when they hit the street is kind of ridiculous. Just wait 6 months and buy them. If everyone did that, soon the introductory price points would drop to a reasonible level.

I compared benchmarks from the 470 series to the 295 which I own.
I didnt see a valuable reason to even consider this card.
Seems like its an updated 200 series to address the heat problems, seems like it has better cooling design and removed some power consumption which i assume would help in heat issues as well.. Just a guess on common sense theory

But other than it having GDDR5 if i recall correctly.. it seems like it didnt even perform as good on the 295 for the critical aspects.. such as core clock, not that big a deal, but its triangle draw was millions off in the negative direction, and only non bottlenecked issues were increased... also seemed to have less ram, and less texture functionality.

I dont see the card selling at $350, which is $150 lower than the 295's, no way the 295's are going to drop to such a price..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Moved Apr 8, 2010, 08:27 Thenetcase

Bucky wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 20:56:
While the 470 has a performance edge of 2%-10%, it efficiency is much worse (thermals, power draw and fan noise). A slightly faster, less efficient card isn't worth $70 to me.

Great point... the whole idea of buying new cards when they hit the street is kind of ridiculous. Just wait 6 months and buy them. If everyone did that, soon the introductory price points would drop to a reasonible level.

3. Re: Moved Mar 26, 2010, 20:56 Bucky

The NDA lifted at 7:00 PM EST, so reviews are now live. I use Anandtech and HardOCP for a good baseline, then branch out to other reviews from there if I need more information.

It was fairly easy for me to make a decision. I can get the ATI Radeon 5850 right now for $280 with free shipping. The Nvidia GTX 470 will launch in about three weeks for $350 in what I believe will be limited quantities, so they may sell above MSRP. While the 470 has a performance edge of 2%-10%, it efficiency is much worse (thermals, power draw and fan noise). A slightly faster, less efficient card isn't worth $70 to me.

I can't help if you're looking at higher end cards; I don't typically feel that they have a worthwhile price/performance ratio.

2. Moved Mar 26, 2010, 12:29  Xymph 

Moved topic to the appropriate forum.  

-- Frans

1. Nvidia 400 Series Mar 26, 2010, 12:04 Kelumbo

Does anyone know anything about the date & time of which these cards will go on sale I'm getting well tired of waiting to buy my new system. Any ideas on price from ligit sources would also be appreciated  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo