Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Console Gaming > RDR Discussions

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Undead Nightmare Nov 8, 2010, 06:24 Agrajag

Well, that was surprisingly short... Once I got to Mexico, I expected at least as many missions as there were prior to that in America, but there sure didn't seem to be... I ended up unwittingly going into the end-game without even realizing it was the final mission, leaving several towns in Mexico un-saved... Thankfully, you get to continue after the "end"... (And, it's fairly clever/amusing how they handle that...) Still, it was all pretty fun... Not nearly on the same level as the main game, though... But, definitely well worth playing, if for no other reason than seeing (spoiler) Herbert Moon get eaten... ("You can't eat me, I'm Herbert Mooooooon!!" ;-)) (/spoiler)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Undead Nightmare Oct 31, 2010, 17:15 Agrajag

Ok, I'm a little further along now, and I already see that at least SOME items are going to be useful for various things... Cool... I just wondered how it was going to work without being able to sell them at shops now, but I see now they've got some kind of plans for using them, anyway...

Just got the blunderbuss... That's bad-ass! And, you get to make your own ammo from dead zombie parts!

31. Re: Undead Nightmare Oct 31, 2010, 14:46 xXBatmanXx

Probably going to grab it this weekend - I can't resist!!!!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Undead Nightmare Oct 31, 2010, 11:19 Agrajag

Anyone playing Undead Nightmare? I just started, and it's pretty damn cool so far... But, given that all the shops seem to be closed (even when you clean out the zombies from a town), I'm just wondering if there's any point at all to collecting stuff like plants and animal parts anymore? Will I be able to sell/trade them for ammo at some point, or am I just wasting my time (and risking zombie attack) by stopping to pick flowers and loot/skin dead animals? (On a side note, I am glad they cut the overly long skinning animation, and now just treat skinning an animal like looting a corpse...)  

29. Re: Money Aug 28, 2010, 07:21 xXBatmanXx

Anyone still playing?
I did 1 play through and most of the achievements, and have spent a good amount of time on the multiplayer - had a blast!
Haven't played it for a while now.

I won't get DLC until they put it on mega sale - way over priced.

I would be up for some MP if anyone is in!

(xbox360 here)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

28. Money May 29, 2010, 02:07 Creston

Yeah, there's really nothing to spend money on besides ~4K in weapons, and then the occasional flask of snake oil or medicine, if you happen to use it. (I use medicine a lot because I'm always charging enemy positions head on. I want close range fire fights so I can see the Euphoria engine in motion when bandits go down from rifle shots.)

In my second playthrough I tried to extend my money usage a bit by buying all my ammo, but even that doesn't really stretch it all that far. I've got 4K in my pocket again...

The annoying thing about that is that several times you have to do missions because the NPC in question has no money. (West Dickens comes to mind.)

So he makes you do a horse race to get him money, when I've got FOUR FRIGGING GRAND IN MY POCKET. Why can't I just give him the 1000 bucks he needs and skip the stupid horse race?

Creston

27. No subject May 28, 2010, 15:21 Sepharo

I convinced a friend to buy this game and he brought it over here to play for the first time.

Love the atmosphere. I was mentioning how, despite being pretty drab washed out colors, the game looked beautiful because it looked "authentic".

The story and the presentation are great so far even though I just barely saw the beginning of the game, very film like.

My only complaint so far is of course the controller. When I was handed it to play a bit, he was on a mission to lasso and break horses. I would be chasing the horse with my lasso spinning and then without me actively moving the camera it would suddenly be facing backwards, and that would always seem to happen right at the worst moment as I was lining the horse up to be lassoed.

26. Re: Thieves Landing May 28, 2010, 05:55 xXBatmanXx

I bought all of the weapons, and some bait, but everything else is found throughout the world for free.

As it stands, i am almost done with West Elizabeth, and I have about 12k. WTF do I spend it on? I guess a lot of it is betting money - won a lot of dice and high stakes poker. And I did 1 round of selling all my skins when I went to Mexico, as I saw no reason to hold onto anything.

25. Re: Thieves Landing May 27, 2010, 06:37 Agrajag

Though it's the difference between getting 4-5 dollars or 5-6 dollars.

Yeah, it's definitely not too significant, that's for sure... I guess everyone else around is broke, or leaves all their money at home... Meanwhile, I'm walking around with over $1000 on me most of the time, plus whatever animals skins/parts I've collected, and plants I've collected, maybe gold from treasure hunting, various stuff I've bought (medicine, moonshine, tobacco), etc... Seems like occassionally you should run across at least a few people with big hauls of stuff on them to steal! At least GTA usually varied the amount of cash random pedestrians had on them when killed; sometimes, you'd find someone with a HUGE wad on them... But, oh well... As was said, it's not like I seem to be hurting for cash, anyway... There are plenty of ways of earning it, and (at least so far for me) not a ton of need to spend it on lots of stuff...

24. Re: Thieves Landing May 26, 2010, 23:57 Creston

Agrajag wrote on May 25, 2010, 11:30:
The Rabbit's Foot only increases your loot from skinning (ie, wild animals),

You sure? Everything I've heard says it also increases your luck in looting money off dead bodies... Eg: From Red Dead Wiki...

Oh, I didn't even realize that, but I guess that could be true. Though it's the difference between getting 4-5 dollars or 5-6 dollars.

Note that the Rabbit's Foot has nothing to do with sell prices of animal skins etc. Those are dependent on location. Shoot Buffalo on the Great Plains and sell them in the farthest point in Mexico, and you'll make a ton of money. (Right up until you get the "inevitable" trophy and you realize you just murdered all the buffalo, and they NEVER come back. )

Foxes are annoying to find, yeah. You can occasionally find them in the area just north of the MacFarlane Ranch, at dusk. My first time through I got really lucky, a guy wanted fox pelts and he gave me bait for it. The game then spawns three foxes for you no matter what location you're in. Those 3 gave me the 5 I needed.

Creston

23. No subject May 26, 2010, 23:54 Creston

Verno wrote on May 25, 2010, 15:45:
I'm the same with the rabbits foot as without but meh, its not like money is hard to come by anyways. Liar's Dice is the easiest way to make money, just bid low and let them bluff eachother out of the game.

Nah, Liar's dice takes way too long. A good game of high-stakes poker in Blackwater will get you 1250 bucks in 10 minutes or so.

Creston

22. No subject May 25, 2010, 15:45 Verno

I'm the same with the rabbits foot as without but meh, its not like money is hard to come by anyways. Liar's Dice is the easiest way to make money, just bid low and let them bluff eachother out of the game.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

21. No subject May 25, 2010, 12:12 xXBatmanXx

I avg 7-9 dollars per looted body with the rabbits foot. I was avg 3-6 without.

Here is a nice animal location guide - it spoils it if you are hardcore and want to find them all yourself - I just got pissed not being able to find any fox:

You were warned - it has locations of special animals - so don't click if you want to find them yourself.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx176/StrengthGamer/animalmapcopy2.jpg

Map kind of sucks for animals - this one is better:
Better map

Is it just me or are fox the hardest to find in this game? I finally found a ton of the in Tall Trees. sheeeesh.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2010, 19:25.

20. Re: Thieves Landing May 25, 2010, 11:30 Agrajag

The Rabbit's Foot only increases your loot from skinning (ie, wild animals),

You sure? Everything I've heard says it also increases your luck in looting money off dead bodies... Eg: From Red Dead Wiki...

Though with one of the early criminals, hogtie him and drop him in town somewhere, then watch people randomly shoot him. It's quite funny.

Heh. I brought a thief back to one of the shop keepers once, and he spent the next 5 minutes or so just repeatedly kicking him in the head and spitting on him... ;-)

19. Re: Thieves Landing May 25, 2010, 10:46 Creston

The Rabbit's Foot only increases your loot from skinning (ie, wild animals), and it's worded wrong. It doesn't actually give you MORE loot, it just ups the chance that you'll harvest one of the more precious organs from an animal. But there's only a few animals that even have such an organ to be harvested (in the game's loot tables), to begin with, most noticeably wolves, cougars, bears and buffalo AFAIK, so it can seem as if it's not doing anything.

As for that sheriff mission, I freed him, he ran at the house yelling at me to be cautious, and he got killed by literally the FIRST bullet fired from the house. So that was quite hilarious. At least he had ammo.

Verno : Yeah, there's little point to keeping criminals alive. It's a bunch more hassle, and the rewards really aren't worth it. Though with one of the early criminals, hogtie him and drop him in town somewhere, then watch people randomly shoot him. It's quite funny.

Lost of people agree that Mexico is a real letdown in the story, compared to the first section, which I agree with. After he's done two missions for both sides in which both sides don't give him the info he wants, you'd figure John would just say "Fuck you," then try to find the info elsewhere.

The whole carrot-on-a-stick thing gets really boring after it's been used for 20 odd missions...

New Elizabeth really picks up again, though, and Mexico does have some awesome, awesome gunfights.

Creston

18. No subject May 25, 2010, 09:39 Verno

I think the most hilarious thing I've seen in this game is the "bring the prisoners back dead or alive" thing from the local lawmen you encounter on the road occasionally. I go to all of the trouble of rounding up two prisoners, lassoing them and delivering them then he just thanks me, screams "I AM THE LAW!", shoots them both in the head and calmly walks away.

It took me about 2 minutes to stop laughing.

I have to say that Mexico is a bit of a downer though compared to New Austin. The gun battles are better but the characterization is much worse down here. It's an odd contrast to the first area which featured great examples of both.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

17. Re: Thieves Landing May 25, 2010, 06:24 Agrajag

I can hold a guy up in the middle of the desert somewhere, he'll run off, I shoot him in the back, and he's got 5 bucks on him.

Heh. Did you buy the rabbit's foot to supposedly increase your luck at looting bodies? I did, but so far I can't really tell if it's doing a damn thing or not... I think I'm looting about the same amount I was before the stupid rabbit's foot...

So occasionally it gets confused.

Heh. You know the side-mission in Tumbleweed (I think the town was), where you have to free a sheriff that's being held prisoner by a bunch of bad guys? Well, I cleaned out ALL of the bad guys on my own first, including everyone in the mansion and the two in the basement, THEN I went and freed the sheriff... And, he starts yammering on about how we have to go clean out the bad guys from the mansion, and tells me to follow him... So, I do, and all the while, he's telling me to be careful because they're holed up in the mansion and will try to pick us off, and I'm thinking, "Are you blind, buddy? I just killed them all!"... When we finally get to the mansion, he apparently realizes everyone inside the main house is dead, so he says something like, "Ok, there's two in the basement. I'll cover --", then it immediately pops up a mission success message and cuts him off mid-sentence, and he completely disappears leaving me standing alone there... ;-)

16. Dumbest death ever May 24, 2010, 23:23 Creston

In my replay, I'm doing the "race Bonnie around the ranch" mission. All's going well, I'm like a mile ahead of her, and I'm looking back to gloat at how far away she is.

And promptly forget there's a bridge coming up, and me and my horse run right off the cliff. Died.

I'm kind of curious what Bonnie did when she saw my corpse lying there. I'm guessing it was something like :-facepalm-:

Creston

15. Re: Thieves Landing May 24, 2010, 22:53 Creston

Agrajag wrote on May 24, 2010, 16:27:

Yeah, I kind of thought that might be true... But, what really gets me is that it takes away my honor if I try to defend myself from them! That seems wrong... Other times, I can shoot back at people who are shooting at me without losing honor, so what's special about these guys?? Plus, it does seem random: one visit, the whole town is out to lynch me; the next visit, everyone is cool, people are gambling with me, asking me to help them catch horse thieves, etc... Weird...

I think it's just a small bug, in that the game doesn't recognize that that one character attacked you first. It happens fairly infrequently. In my first game, I came across a man and a wife arguing somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. I got off my horse, curious to see what was going on. The guy immediately gets on my horse and takes off, so I put a bullet in his back. -50 honor, and the woman runs screaming to the law, and 5 seconds later I'm wanted for murder and have a 40 dollar bounty.

So occasionally it gets confused.

I think the fame bonus is meant to apply to everything you do, not JUST when you use the 2 golden colored guns... I think those golden guns are purely aesthetic... But, I never heard you were required to use them to get the fame boost; I definitely got the impression ALL things you can possibly do to earn fame were boosted somewhat above people without the bonus applied... *shrug*

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, since I'm playing my second game now where I somehow don't have the golden guns (they're not showing), and I'm getting just as much fame as before.

Edit : I'm reading through some threads on gamefaqs about this, and it seems that the golden guns thing is indeed just an overall Fame BONUS. Which sucks even more, because I was already a Legend by the time I was halfway done in Mexico... Sigh. What I wouldn't give for a warhorse.

The one thing that kinda bugs me is that a life of crime simply DOESN'T PAY in this game. I can hold a guy up in the middle of the desert somewhere, he'll run off, I shoot him in the back, and he's got 5 bucks on him. The frigging bullet is more expensive than that!

You make so much more money just from hunting and skinning stuff that it seems rather imbalanced.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 24, 2010, 23:17.

14. Re: Thieves Landing May 24, 2010, 16:27 Agrajag

If your honor is positive, the Thieves in Thieves' Landing won't like you much. So they'll randomly start shooting at you, yeah.

Yeah, I kind of thought that might be true... But, what really gets me is that it takes away my honor if I try to defend myself from them! That seems wrong... Other times, I can shoot back at people who are shooting at me without losing honor, so what's special about these guys?? Plus, it does seem random: one visit, the whole town is out to lynch me; the next visit, everyone is cool, people are gambling with me, asking me to help them catch horse thieves, etc... Weird...

And yeah, the Golden Guns fucking suck. Not only are they the weakest guns in the game, but they don't even WORK, since kills with them give you just as much fame as kills without them.

I think the fame bonus is meant to apply to everything you do, not JUST when you use the 2 golden colored guns... I think those golden guns are purely aesthetic... But, I never heard you were required to use them to get the fame boost; I definitely got the impression ALL things you can possibly do to earn fame were boosted somewhat above people without the bonus applied... *shrug*

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo