Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

PC Gaming > Dishonored

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Dishonored Apr 15, 2013, 16:41 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:43:
Since no one reads this, I'll probably copy-and-paste it in the next big Dishonored thread.

Anyway, just finished this. A few thoughts:
- Played on the 360 (got it for $10 over the Holidays.) Took me a while to get into it. Honestly, I think there were FOV issues on the console. Weird reversal
- Man, was this game dark. Like, really dark. Darker than most
- Loved how it didn't explain everything. Spoiler: Was Corvo the Empresses lover? Was he Emily's father? You never really know.

This is actually explained in game, there is a hidden message which reveals their relationship.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Dishonored Mar 22, 2013, 06:40 yuastnav

I think I can agree with most of what you said but surprisingly this game was one of the most enjoyable games I have played in 2012. And it took me a while, too, since I tried to explore and get everything (which I didn't manage to do, I think I found all the charms and runes but not all of Sokolov paintings). Steam says it took me about 27 hours to get through the campaign which feels about right.
It is true that I didn't use most of the available powers and pistols but that didn't really bother me because I don't think that there has ever been a game where I thought "yeah, most/all of these powers/magic runes/spells/whatever are really useful". That just doesn't happen. I find a few that work for me and go with that. Sad? A bit but what are you gonna do.
It was a bit too easy, though, I was almost constantly using dark vision. On the other hand I loved the exploration aspect and that you were able to blink away if there danger. The game had some really tense moments.

What powers you use probably depends on your playstyle, though. Personally I tried to get a low chaos ending and it worked and stopping time did help in some situations, for example when I tried to kidnapp that Boyle woman and had to carry her through a room full of guests.

1. Dishonored Mar 20, 2013, 08:43 Beamer

Since no one reads this, I'll probably copy-and-paste it in the next big Dishonored thread.

Anyway, just finished this. A few thoughts:
- Played on the 360 (got it for $10 over the Holidays.) Took me a while to get into it. Honestly, I think there were FOV issues on the console. Weird reversal
- Man, was this game dark. Like, really dark. Darker than most
- Loved how it didn't explain everything. Spoiler: Was Corvo the Empresses lover? Was he Emily's father? You never really know.
- Powers felt worthless outside of Blink and Dark Vision. Rat Swarm? Never used it. Stop time? Never used it (though I see its potential.) Possession? Used it 3 times. Whirlwind? No use
- Most bone charms felt worthless, too. More health? Yeah! Move faster? Yeah! Carry bodies faster? Great for one mission. Anything else? Meh
- Most weapons felt worthless. I played High Chaos (because I tried not to quicksave often, and had to fight my way out of a predicament more than once), but still never used the pistol. Or explosive anything. Sleep darts were most useful but weren't plentiful
- Speaking of quicksave, I did 2.5 missions before I realized I could do that rather than just rely on checkpoints. Gamechanger. Man, am I conditioned the wrong way for modern games
- Really wish I'd killed Samuel

All in all I loved this game. But I'm a bit taken aback at how useless the powers and weapons were. Bullets were everywhere, but why use them? Sneaking, exploring, blinking and dark visioning, though, was awesome.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo