Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Gaming > .

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: . Nov 11, 2012, 07:57 Bet

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: . Nov 5, 2012, 12:50 John

This space is available for rent

4. . Nov 1, 2012, 18:35 deqer

3. . Oct 31, 2012, 13:53 2nd_floor

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 17:37.

2. Re: Thoughts on Half-Life 2 Oct 30, 2012, 14:49 D-Rock

2nd_floor wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 05:59:
Here are my thoughts, anybody agree?

No -- not at all. Those who enjoy the game tend to have enjoyed the original Half-Life. A lot has changed since 2004, so that's also something to take into consideration. Perhaps if you had played it then you'd have a different opinion?

This is very similar to what I think Steam does to people. It controls the way we use (install, update, think about (number of hours played), talk about, delete, etc...) games on our computers. Valve does not let us entirely have everything we want with Steam. There are many useful features missing, and this is a control mechanism I think.

I really doubt the design of Half-Life 2 was influenced by Steam (or vice-versa). The folks at Valve have allowed quite a bit of freedom with their games (i.e. Portal 2 community maps) to be labeled as control freaks.

The puzzle and 'carrot on the stick' aspects of the Half-Life series are exactly what has drawn Half-Life fans to the game.

Steam has been a control mechanism since it began in the late 1990s.

Steam was released in 2003.

To control what and how people use games on computers, just like the annoying Sierra Utilities.

If you're referring to the Sierra Utilities that were included as part of Half-Life -- they are nothing like Steam. The WON system that was later implemented to play Valve multiplayer games was not required. Neither were the Utilities. Annoying? Yes. Uninstallable or easy to ignore? Yes.

Half-Life 2 is not nearly the same game play.

I agree -- it's nothing like Doom, Halo, etc. and this is by design. It's supposed to make you think -- it's not just non-stop run and gun. That's why people like it.

In this way the game was less about enjoying the game itself, and more about Valve wanting to control the way I think when playing it, in that there almost isn't a way out of the level, Valve is just about controlling me because they are afraid of letting people do as they want (with games and computers, maybe even life in general), right back to the idea of Steam. It doesn't matter what I do in the levels, there is no way out of it, and Valve has me in their control.

Now you're just being silly. Maybe you should put on a tin foil hat?

(although in a game, I do not care about the plot or story, I just want to blow stuff away!!)

Then none of the Half-Life games are ones you'd enjoy. Although I'm a bit confused about your Bioshock comment -- that had some of the same problem solving mechanics that Half-Life did...

1. . Oct 16, 2012, 05:59 2nd_floor

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 17:38.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo