Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

General Discussion > The lonely place .....

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. No subject Feb 3, 2010, 12:16 Verno

Yeah I tend to agree with you, I was just offering advice in case they wanted to seriously pursue it. I like the site the way it is, I have other sites that I use for more traditional forum discussion for ongoing topics.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. No subject Feb 3, 2010, 02:32 PHJF

This is not a site which needs traditional forums. The rapid-fire posting of news stories and the order in which they are managed essentially moots the need for anything else. Anytime somebody wants to post something unrelated to the news stories they have only to post in OOTB.

And certainly keep away from moderating. When somebody like Woody shows up, by all means, start removing posts... but we're all (or mostly?) big boys and can handle seeing statements on the internet with which we disagree. Because threads are essentially buried after a couple days anything too tangential fizzles out on its own.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. No subject Feb 1, 2010, 09:09 Verno

I don't buy the lack of mods is what is the major limiting force behind the use of this forum at all.

That's not what I said.

I think that if you want the forums to be a seriously trafficked area of the site then you'll need to enforce standards was my point. As an example, just browsing comments on the front page I found everything from political rants in a gaming thread to someone obviously posting while stoned.

The forums aren't visible and the userbase itself is usually focused on the stories. Most sites link stories back into the forums somehow, some use a generic news forum like this site and others have a link to the forum topic that applies(hardware news, etc).

I think first you need to decide how serious you want to be about the forums Blue or if you like the site the way it is.

14. No subject Feb 1, 2010, 02:10 Kosumo

Sepharo wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 01:57:
This is one of the most civil forums I post at or read.

I don't think you need to stir up any drama by deciding who gets to be a moderator or not. Keep up the good work.

I agree, Blue does a great job, any more and it can just feed the drama imho.

13. No subject Feb 1, 2010, 01:57 Sepharo

This is one of the most civil forums I post at or read.

I don't think you need to stir up any drama by deciding who gets to be a moderator or not. Keep up the good work.

12. No subject Jan 29, 2010, 13:20 Bronco

Anyone with any opinions on the benefits of moderation, the way to select moderators, or what guidelines they should follow, please feel free to share them, as I am interested in feedback on all these topics.

You can simply ask people that are interested to send you an email. How you would put your moderation approach into a form that people could use to moderate forum posts...no clue how you do that.

I think placing moderators on forums that have next to no use is putting the cart before the horse imo. I don't buy the lack of mods is what is the major limiting force behind the use of this forum at all.

-TPFKAS2S

11. No subject Jan 28, 2010, 14:21  Blue 

I think the lack of moderation is a big one too. The forum/comment guidelines are pretty iffy in terms of what people can get away with. It's sort of the wild west and that probably drives a lot of people away or to just lurk.

Well obviously if this is a problem it is my fault. I have pretty strong feelings about freedom of speech, and my tendency is to err on the side of being lax, rather than strict.

I was talking with Frans recently about the idea of naming moderators... one of the problems is how to pick them, and another is how much trouble I would have providing guidelines for them, considering how liberal my approach to the forums tends to be.

Anyone with any opinions on the benefits of moderation, the way to select moderators, or what guidelines they should follow, please feel free to share them, as I am interested in feedback on all these topics.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. No subject Jan 28, 2010, 08:56 Verno

Actually, BBcode-style quote and url tags are supported here, and those are the major ones. And for all the style tags there are buttons: highlight the desired text section and click a button to bold/underline/color/etc it. So I can't see how this would be a real hurdle.

Ahh, I didn't know you added a quote tag alias, I had to use the odd q style one for the longest time.

I think the lack of moderation is a big one too. The forum/comment guidelines are pretty iffy in terms of what people can get away with. It's sort of the wild west and that probably drives a lot of people away or to just lurk. Other than posting about piracy people can pretty much say anything and often do. You might think about getting some more advanced guidelines together if you want the forums to have serious traffic.

Though I'm sure I deserved it sometimes, I've been called every name imaginable on these boards. Thankfully I come from SA and the trolling here is like tiddlywinks in comparison with FYAD but I would imagine stuff like that drives others away pretty quickly. Just food for thought!

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 09:05.

9. No subject Jan 28, 2010, 08:46 Bronco

Most of the discussion takes place in the comments sections already is the problem, you're fighting user habits there.

Bingo.

If you want to quickly drive traffic to the forums, remove the comments entirely is a surefire way to do so

I think this would kill page views in a big hurry.

When I first came to the site there were no forums so I am used to posting comments. Giantbomb on the other hand has always had fully featured forums so I didn't even look for comments on individual stories.

Hard to change peoples habits when they have no impetus to do so.

A lot of people don't have time for both.

Because a lot of people already post to other forums somewhere else. The bus may have left the station for this sort of idea here...at least for now.

-TPFKAS2S

8. Re: The lonely place ..... Jan 27, 2010, 17:34 MattyC

Well if it was better linked from the main page, it might help. It is somewhat hidden away. Though even if it was, I think comments will always be where it is at.  

7. No subject Jan 27, 2010, 16:48 Kosumo

Can you feel that?, is it momentum building?  

6. No subject Jan 27, 2010, 15:57  Xymph 

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:13:
Most of the discussion takes place in the comments sections already is the problem, you're fighting user habits there.
Yeah, that certainly is a major factor.

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:13:
The BBS system here is a bit quirky and a lot of the BBcode people learned to use with most other forum software doesn't translate over which probably doesn't help either.
Actually, BBcode-style quote and url tags are supported here, and those are the major ones. And for all the style tags there are buttons: highlight the desired text section and click a button to bold/underline/color/etc it. So I can't see how this would be a real hurdle.

-- Frans

5. No subject Jan 27, 2010, 14:13 Verno

Most of the discussion takes place in the comments sections already is the problem, you're fighting user habits there. If you want to quickly drive traffic to the forums, remove the comments entirely is a surefire way to do so. A lot of people don't have time for both. When I first came to the site there were no forums so I am used to posting comments. Giantbomb on the other hand has always had fully featured forums so I didn't even look for comments on individual stories.

The BBS system here is a bit quirky and a lot of the BBcode people learned to use with most other forum software doesn't translate over which probably doesn't help either.

4. Re: The lonely place ..... Jan 25, 2010, 21:08 Kosumo

........ Tumbleweed ........  

3. Re: The lonely place ..... Jan 24, 2010, 20:07 Sepharo

It's rare to see general forums on the internet that aren't filled with total idiocy and sometimes even the celebration and embrace of idiocy.

So I like to think the reason these forums aren't hopping is because we have a lack of idiots.

I should know because the only non-news forum I visit on the internet is Something Awful - BYOB.

2. Re: The lonely place ..... Jan 22, 2010, 04:11  Xymph 

Kosumo wrote on Jan 22, 2010, 02:04:
Why ???
I'm wondering about that too. Throughout the years there have been various requests for additional forums, and now that they're here almost nobody uses them.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 04:30.

-- Frans

1. The lonely place ..... Jan 22, 2010, 02:04 Kosumo

Guys, I can't beleave how few have posted in these parts of the Blue's news Forums?

Why ???

Don't make me start a D.Smart poetry thread. Evil

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo