Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

General Discussion > Game of the Year 2010

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. removed Mar 7, 2014, 03:52 xtragamingz

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 7, 2014, 03:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Game of the Year 2010 Dec 29, 2010, 17:38 Creston

Terribly late to this thread, but whatever.

Best Game : Red Dead Redemption.

Runner up : Assassin's Creed 2 / Brotherhood. (treating it as one game.)

All three of these games are absolutely fucking fantastic, and great examples of what open world games can and should be like.

Second Runner-up : FO:NV. It could have been #1, but the small map just bugs me to no end. I have no problem with the amount of content, but the fact that all these factions that hate each other are so close together is just stupid, and the Legion being camped literally one hill away from Hoover Dam is just fucking horseshit. They could literally hit each other with rocket launchers. Why aren't they fighting?

Worst game : ehh... I didn't really buy anything that was that awful this year, to be honest. I got one of the Alien Breed games on sale, and it was pretty boring, so maybe that one, I guess.

Biggest disappointment : FF13. I've played every FF at least three or four times, I must have played FF10 more than a dozen times, and even FF12 I played twice.
I never even bought FF13. Way to rape your franchise into its grave there, Square.

Creston

12. No subject Dec 18, 2010, 13:04 Enahs

Favorite Game: Amnesia The Dark Decent. I just enjoy that style of play, and it was well done. Not for all, but it is for me!

Favorite Game Runner Up: Worms Reloaded. Love me some Worms, what can I say.

Biggest disappointment: Bioshock 2. Horrible shitty controls and configuration and bugs on PC, I just can not even play it for more then 10 min without giving up in frustration of the technical problems.

Biggest disappointment runner up
: Dark Void. I was not expecting much, just a simple story with shooting bad guys. It is what I got; but the flight mechanics are just horrid on the PC. I had better flight mechanics in arcade flight games from the early 90's that only used the keyboard!

Game I enjoyed a lot that others seem to hate: Mass Effect 2. I enjoyed it, it was fun. Yes plant scanning sucked, but other then that it was a solid game to me. *shrugs*

Biggest *yawn* game: Command and Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight. What else can I say but *yawn*.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

11. No subject Dec 9, 2010, 07:18 Dades

I think Batman was 2009 and so far it has one sequel that isn't even out yet so I don't think its in danger of being Call of Duty'd just yet.  

10. No subject Dec 9, 2010, 00:50 Kosumo

What about the Batman game, I still have not played it (looking to grab it ins those great new years steam sales) but have only heard good thing about it .... and it sound like it's getting a thousand sequals!  

9. No subject Dec 8, 2010, 23:03 Verno

Yeah I agree 100%, I really loved most things about Civ 5 but the AI and late-game performance issues really bring it way down. StingingVelvet or someone else said it was patched a bunch of times last week but I haven't had a chance to revisit it, I'm too into FO:NV mods and such.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

8. No subject Dec 8, 2010, 22:58 Sepharo

Didn't buy nor even try any of those games.
But of the things I did buy it would be 2nd most disappointing.

With a big map and a lots of AI the game is nearly unplayable even with my beast machine. And if it was, apparently the AI is dumb as rocks.

Unlike many others I love the new look, new UI, and gameplay changes but just the damn slowness.
Did the big patch ever come out to fix that?

7. No subject Dec 8, 2010, 22:46 Verno

Yeah I can't say I loved Civ5 but I don't know if I'd go as far as saying its my biggest disappointment. I can't remember if Dante's Inferno was 2009 or 2010 but that was a pretty big letdown too.

FF13 & 14 were pretty godawful too. I guess there was a fair amount of chaff this year too now that I think about it. Fable 3, Crackdown 2, FF13/14, Civ 5, etc etc. Lots of mediocre AAA budget games.

6. Re: Game of the Year 2010 Dec 8, 2010, 18:02 Sepharo

AirWreck wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 13:59:
Almost worst game: Civilization V. This is probably being unfair, but after the initial fun I had with the new 1 unit per tile hex combat, there was nothing to keep me interested in playing. Bad AI, bad balancing of city-states, etc. I expect to get more out of this in the future.

Ahh yes, this would be my Runner up Biggest disappointment.

5. No subject Dec 8, 2010, 14:10 AirWreck

I had that exact experince with ME2. I had fun and yet felt it was subpar with the planet scanning and the level design where you could tell when you'd be encountering combat by whether there was cover ahead.  

4. Re: Game of the Year 2010 Dec 8, 2010, 13:59 AirWreck

Favorite game: Minecraft. Yeah I burnt out of this after a couple weeks, but it was novel, and originality is something I've felt has been lacking lately. Also the price was right.

Runner up: Red Dead Redemption. Maybe it was because I had to travel to New Mexico for work this summer and got to see some of the same environs as depicted in this game. My favorite take on the sandbox genre since GTA: Vice City.

Worst game: Gotta agree with Verno on Crackdown 2. I was pretty excited after the first to see what could be done with a sequel and thought it could be Assassin's Creed 2'd...nope.

Almost worst game: Civilization V. This is probably being unfair, but after the initial fun I had with the new 1 unit per tile hex combat, there was nothing to keep me interested in playing. Bad AI, bad balancing of city-states, etc. I expect to get more out of this in the future.

3. No subject Dec 2, 2010, 08:38 Verno

Biggest disappointment: Mass Effect 2. Boring gameplay.

Maybe it's because I've had a few months to think about it now but ME2 was a game that is fun in spite of itself. The gameplay clicks in a few different moments in the game but overall I'd have to agree with you. The only time it felt really enjoyable to me was in the Tali recruitment mission, that felt like the old game's main missions in terms of pacing and action.

I think they really screwed up killing off Sarren in the first game, the second game's storyline seems totally pointless and almost like a back peddle because they realized oh shit, we advanced the story too far and we need content for a third game. The whole setup to the suicide mission was somewhat interesting but the mission itself was a total letdown in every way. I wasn't a fan of the stripped out RPG stuff either.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2010, 09:20.

2. Re: Game of the Year 2010 Dec 1, 2010, 20:18 Sepharo

Awww yeah templated postin' time...

Favorite game: Amnesia. This is my kind of game: first person adventure, great story, great graphics, indie developer, PC exclusive. Though I wished it was longer and castles bore me a bit.

Runner up: Mafia 2 except for the content-resold-as-DLC business.

Biggest disappointment: Mass Effect 2. Boring gameplay.

Biggest Surprise of the Year and Most Time Sank: Minecraft.

1. Game of the Year 2010 Dec 1, 2010, 12:41 Verno

So I like these things to get a feel for what other people are playing, what were your favorite games of 2010? And for kicks, what was your biggest disappointment? Mine were:

Favorite game: Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout 3 with the writing, character and stylistic influences of Fallout 1 & 2?! Hell yes. This game was a big surprise, in fact the biggest surprise is that it wasn't a totally bug ridden piece of garbage that didn't function.

Runner up: Darksiders was an awesome little game that did the whole derivative from other IP thing right, unlike say Dante's Inferno.

Worst game: Crackdown 2. Nothing remotely fun or interesting in the game, I don't know how they screwed this up so badly.

Almost Worst game: Final Fantasy XIII. A poorly written movie with terrible characterization and overly glitzy visuals. 4 year wait for this? Bleh.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2010, 12:52.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo