Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

General Discussion > Avatars

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. No subject Mar 24, 2010, 14:03 Verno

Thanks for all of the recent feature expansion with regards to the forum system Xymph  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Frans Mar 23, 2010, 20:34  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 19:29:
Yes, the site finally lets me upload the super futuristic file type known as a JPEG. :)
It did for 24 hours already.

As for the forums....meh. I honestly have to bow before everybody that even remotely manages to keep discussions consistent with a "flat" view.

But I still think the forums are tedious when viewed as a "thread" and I don't think the "flat" view is particularly elegant.
I know, but don't quite understand: have you never used any vBulletin, phpBB, PunBB, etc based forums? They all operate in the same "flat" way as far as I know, so I don't see how these forums are functionally so different that you can't stand them.

Which forums software, or specific features of them, can you stand?

Without constant quoting, it's the difference between discussing and just commenting.
At least these forums allow you to post secret text within every comment that isn't given away by a Spoiler button... that must count for something.

-- Frans

30. Re: Frans Mar 23, 2010, 19:29 Ray Marden

Yes, the site finally lets me upload the super futuristic file type known as a JPEG.

As for the forums....meh. I honestly have to bow before everybody that even remotely manages to keep discussions consistent with a "flat" view.

But I still think the forums are tedious when viewed as a "thread" and I don't think the "flat" view is particularly elegant. I don't know, I guess it's just me, but I personally find it a chore to post here and I've had many a friend or colleague joke about the forums here (and not just in reference to my being sad, pathetic gamer.)
Without constant quoting, it's the difference between discussing and just commenting.
Guessing I'll go play in the tar pits,
Ray

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2010, 19:34.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

29. No subject Mar 23, 2010, 18:00 Sleeeeepy

Heh

Goin to the burn ward right now

28. Re: Avatars Mar 23, 2010, 17:09 Ant

Xymph wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 17:03:
Sleeeeepy wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 08:53:
Also didn't know these other forums were even in here!
Well, if your nickname is any indication, that doesn't come as a surprise. Dozey

Sorry, too easy. Wink
ROFL!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

27. Re: Avatars Mar 23, 2010, 17:03  Xymph 

Sleeeeepy wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 08:53:
Also didn't know these other forums were even in here!
Well, if your nickname is any indication, that doesn't come as a surprise. Dozey

Sorry, too easy. Wink

-- Frans

26. No subject Mar 23, 2010, 14:16 Ant

Creston wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 14:00:
Xymph wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 06:00:
Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 22:50:
Now I gotta find an avatar. Sigh.
Well, you don't have to... but I see you succumbed to peer pressure.

I'm a weak man.

Creston
Is that a cockroach?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. No subject Mar 23, 2010, 14:00 Creston

Xymph wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 06:00:

I'm a weak man.

Creston

24. Re: Avatars Mar 23, 2010, 08:53 Sleeeeepy

Oh, this is cool. I simply thought I'd not seen the option before. Also didn't know these other forums were even in here!  

23. No subject Mar 23, 2010, 06:00  Xymph 

-- Frans

22. No subject Mar 22, 2010, 23:29 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 19:09:
I'll be the first and probably only to use my face here...
What about my face?

21. No subject Mar 22, 2010, 22:50 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 19:09:

Boy, let's hope so...

Thanks, Frans. Now I gotta find an avatar. Sigh.

Creston

20. No subject Mar 22, 2010, 19:23 Cutter

Cool beans, thanks Frans. I'll try some more avatars to see everything is working. Thanks for moving up to 64x64 too.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. No subject Mar 22, 2010, 19:09 Sepharo

Though 4 years younger.

18. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 19:05 Sepharo

Maybe I'm just too much of a dinosaur for my own good, but I find the inability to quickly view threaded discussions, at least without loading the entire page over and over and over , extremely tiresome.

Ray, you're sounding a bit backwards here...

Methinks a dinosaur would be used to the way it's done here.

No offense Frans. I view the threads flat anyway and I like the simplicity of the "forums" we have here.

17. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 19:02  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:39:
Well, is there any hope/chance/wish/intent/plan to upate the forums?
Not really, plenty of work has been done to them already, and I already explained a complete replacement by another system is out of the question.

Maybe I'm just too much of a dinosaur for my own good, but I find the inability to quickly view threaded discussions, at least without loading the entire page over and over and over , extremely tiresome.

Then again, if "flat" posting is that popular or this is just a site to shout out some random message, let me know.
Common forum systems like phpBB and vBulletin offer only flat views, the default (ascending timestamps) equating Flat (Oldest First) here. Threads view is a bonus here, but not a very practical one indeed, so yeah, maybe you are a dinosaur for using it. And Threads view with full posts is not practical either.

Something like Shacknews or Slashdot threading is way beyond my available time, and perhaps my capabilities too. ISTR Shack's comments were rewritten from scratch several times in the past decade...

P.S. Invalid avatar type: not an actual PJPG image.
You tried just before I made another necessary tweak. Please try again, and sorry about the hassle, I obviously hadn't done my MIME homework.

-- Frans

16. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:39 Ray Marden

Well, is there any hope/chance/wish/intent/plan to upate the forums?

Then again, if "flat" posting is that popular or this is just a site to shout out some random message, let me know.

I love this site, but I hhhhaaaaatttteeee these forums.
But maybe this isn't that type of site anymore?
Still having no idea how any new reader would ever know to access this site,
Ray

P.S. Invalid avatar type: not an actual PJPG image.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:37  Xymph 

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:26:
Yeah Frans, I've tried to UL a few avatars of the jpg and png variety all at 60x60 and withing 10kb and get the same "No valid avatar uploaded."

However, gifs seem to work. So we're narrowing it down.
Yes, the PNG upload problem Hoop got was due to another MIME type mismatch, image/x-png instead of the standard image/png. I wish all these browsers would do things the same way.

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:26:
Any chance we can make these a default 64x64 or 96x96 bit instead? A lot of avatar sites will resize them to that automatically. And the avatars are almost so tiny as to be useless at this point.
We tried 80x80 during testing and it looked visually intrusive in relation to the overall message layout, so 96x96 would be worse. But 64x64 we can do -- upload script adjusted. Thanks for the tip.

-- Frans

14. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:31  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:15:
Are you sure it is actually accepting JPEGs?
It accepts MIME type image/jpeg. It turns out your upload attempt uses MIME type image/pjpeg, which I wasn't aware of. Added now, so feel free to replace the gif with a jpg.

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:15:
Still waiting on [...] a forum update,
Huh? There have been several major updates to the forums in the past two months.

-- Frans

13. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:26 Cutter

Yeah Frans, I've tried to UL a few avatars of the jpg and png variety all at 60x60 and withing 10kb and get the same "No valid avatar uploaded."

However, gifs seem to work. So we're narrowing it down. Any chance we can make these a default 64x64 or 96x96 bit instead? A lot of avatar sites will resize them to that automatically. And the avatars are almost so tiny as to be useless at this point.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo