Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

General Discussion > Site suggestions

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 16, 2009, 04:36  Xymph 

These forums have always had Forums Index and Topics Index buttons in the top-right area of a thread/topic (though they were named Board Listings and Topic Listings before last Friday).

Well in addition to those we could have "General Discussion > Site suggestions" in the upper left hyperlink to the forum and thread, respectively, which is a convention, and does make sense.
True, so I added that and there are now two ways (except in the News Comments forum) to navigate up from a topic. Or three, if you count your browser's Back button.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Site suggestions Dec 15, 2009, 21:33 rkone

They should stay set to whatever you have selected. Does that not work for you?
It does work, but seems to expire every month or so...
All site cookies (except the session one that tallies which threads you've read) are set to expire in 12 months. So this must be something that happens on your computer.

No, I just use an updated IE, I don't bother messing with settings, cookies or not.

The biggest problem I have I guess is that I come here from many computers. So I'm often coming to visit for the "first" time, and even on the machines I use frequently I'm bound to be approaching the cookie expiry at least one of them..

At any rate, it sounds like there'd be more complaints with default on, and this is just a minor annoyance to me - I just put it out there in hopes others would agree.

22. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 15, 2009, 09:18 Bronco

Once I've clicked on a topic, there seems to be no way to return to the forum I was reading. Most forums I visit, there's clickable hotlinks at the top.

Here the links are there, they're just not clickable.

(Ie, All Forums -> General Discussion) and you can click on either one to be taken back to that forum.

Creston

I'm a day late in suggesting this one - but it does make sense and would work like other forums do.

-TPFKAS2S

21. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 18:01  Blue 

These forums have always had Forums Index and Topics Index buttons in the top-right area of a thread/topic (though they were named Board Listings and Topic Listings before last Friday).

Well in addition to those we could have "General Discussion > Site suggestions" in the upper left hyperlink to the forum and thread, respectively, which is a convention, and does make sense.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 18:16.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 16:36  Xymph 

Once I've clicked on a topic, there seems to be no way to return to the forum I was reading. Most forums I visit, there's clickable hotlinks at the top.

-- Frans

19. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 15:39 Creston

Here the links are there, they're just not clickable.

(Ie, All Forums -> General Discussion) and you can click on either one to be taken back to that forum.

Creston

18. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 14:33  Xymph 

In the forums topic listings, a way to identify threads that have been updated since your last visit, instead of just threads with comments that you have not read.
This is a known consequence of Bagpuss' choice to fit already read threads in a session cookie. Keeping track of which thread you've read when, and whether new posts arrived since then, requires database work. That's on my to-do list, but was beyond the scope of Friday's roll-out.

[Bagpuss was the developer of the Chatbear boards from which these forums were originally derived, although I've since added a lot of stuff, some of which doesn't even exist on the current Chatbear site.]

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 14:38.

-- Frans

17. Re: Site suggestions Dec 14, 2009, 14:26  Xymph 

All site cookies (except the session one that tallies which threads you've read) are set to expire in 12 months. So this must be something that happens on your computer.

-- Frans

16. Re: Site suggestions Dec 14, 2009, 13:58 Creston

Are your cookies set to delete every month?

Creston

15. Re: Post display Dec 14, 2009, 13:04 Ray Marden

I think this is the single biggest flaw (and a significant one at that) of these forums.

Have you ever been posting here and then had somebody ask you whe people were talking about? Or what the current discussions are?

You either set the forum to the lackluster "Flat" view and just have somebody view a gigantic wall of text without any coherent direction or you set it to the "Thread" view and then the poor person has to spend an absurd amount of time clicking on each and every post (along with all the joys of refreshing the entire page each and every time.)

Look, I love Blue's and I'll die with this damn site , but I've never heard a positive comment from somebody when they see that (and quite a few make comments about age/layout/quality.)

Otherwise, navigation could use a nice update. For a new person, what is this site? Even if they do find the FAQ, it is a bit oudated. Do people have the ability to received e-mail updates? Or control how/when/if a thread is marked as inactive? Any easy way to view thread updates? Edit: This is in relation to a new user - how would they know? The account setup area is a bit rusty...

What about the often requested donation button? Don't ever make the assumption that people will donate, but a few might - dump it in an account and maybe you can get an update at some point down the road.

How about a handful of always active threads/forums/folders not tied to a daily update? Have a coupon? Post it here. Have a tech question? Post it here. Why not integrate these "general" threads onto the main page?

How about cleaning up the post interface? Should emoticons be above the login and not closer to the Special Codes section so somebody can see all text/mark up options in one general area? Should the "Forum Rules" be more prominent rather than being the lowest, most right-sided items? For that matter, do we need special codes listed as text and as a button? If I was new here, doesn't that blank button look a little strange?

Can I please put a character after an emoticon like I used to be able to? N o t t h a t I d o n ' t l i k e s p a c e s o r a n y t h i n g.

Sacrilege, I admit, but could I have an option for a lighter shade of blue background? If not a few?

Can we clearly state the superiority of fruit roll ups and compound spreading?
Make it so!
Thinking that last one is the most important,
Ray

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 13:11.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

14. Re: Site suggestions Dec 14, 2009, 11:41 rkone

13. No subject Dec 14, 2009, 11:08 strich

T-SHIRTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

12. Re: Site suggestions Dec 14, 2009, 10:52 nin

Also, please, please, pretty pretty please, an "ignore" button tied to a user name.

Seconded!

Thirded-ed-ed!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 10:20 InBlack

I have to agree with the posters above, I would have completely missed these forums if not for your Out of the Blue post.  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 13, 2009, 14:08 Stanly Manly

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the subdivisions. There really is no reason to have Mobile/PC/Console gaming have different forums.

Try fewer topics that really fit with the main themes of blues:
1. Games
2. Hardware
3. Life/Humor/Off Topic.

There ya go. First one is free. I'll have to charge next time.

9. Forum topic listings Dec 13, 2009, 12:34 Bucky

Just thought of another one I'd like:

In the forums topic listings, a way to identify threads that have been updated since your last visit, instead of just threads with comments that you have not read.

I'm just gonna keep tossing things out there as I think of them. I'm not complaining at all, this is just what you get for giving us a general forum.

8. Post display Dec 13, 2009, 12:30 Bucky

What about a thread display option that will show all of the comments in a threaded view instead of just one? That would be my default in an instant, and possibly keep the rambling conversations around here a bit more organized.  

7. Re: Site suggestions Dec 13, 2009, 11:25  Blue 

Launch Links default: ON!

That one's been bugging me for a long time...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Site suggestions Dec 13, 2009, 09:56 rkone

Launch Links default: ON!

That one's been bugging me for a long time...

5. Re: Site suggestions Dec 13, 2009, 00:24 banddirector

Also, please, please, pretty pretty please, an "ignore" button tied to a user name.

Seconded!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo