Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev

Shacknews has word that Gearbox Software is the unnamed developer on Duke Begins, the mysterious Duke Nukem game recently revealed through legal filings. The Shack continues to risk the insanity that can be caused by too much exposure to court documents, which reveal Gearbox as the third-party working on another Duke game, which has been either shelved, cancelled, or is still under development, depending on whose story you believe. At this point the lawsuits over the Duke Nukem Forever situation seem to center on what say 3D Realms has over the release of Duke Begins, royalty arrangements, and 3D Realms' contention that DNF is still in development with no particular deadline, versus Take Two's position that the "law implies a reasonable deadline for the completion of contractual performance where no deadline is explicitly set forth in the contract."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 15, 2009, 09:40 Beamer

Counterstrike: Condition Zero was the first gearbox catastrophe that was finally taken away from the meddling children and given off to be finished in short order

No. That was Ritual, not Gearbox.
Gearbox has actually been very successful.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 15, 2009, 00:55 Tanto Edge

So... should I get ready for another twelve year stint?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

17. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 23:42 jm0ris0n

Wow...only 16 posts...no one cares anymore !  

16. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 23:33 StrickNine

ALLWAYS BET ON DOUK  

15. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 21:45 MuzixMon

Don't forget that gem that was Nightfire...
plus Halo was poorly ported and played like shit on great rigs until the 7th patch or so.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

14. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 20:46 |RaptoR|

Has anything Gearbox developed ever been released? Or has it all been canceled and/or handed off to another development house?

Counterstrike: Condition Zero was the first gearbox catastrophe that was finally taken away from the meddling children and given off to be finished in short order

Sega recently declined to show Aliens: Colonial Marines after previously committing to show it, citing quality issues. Gearbox title.

I know there are others. What gives? Why is this deadbeat developer still rolling when there are great development houses closing?

13. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 15:26 theyarecomingforyou

The fact that anyone liked Duke to begin seems more and more embarassing as time passes.
Hardly. It's now much more a parody of itself than a truly misogynistic endeavour. Afterall, how many politically incorrect games do we really have at the moment? It's all war games, dark apocalyptic sci-fi or overly casual fodder. And the lengthy delays have only served to increase the appeal of the brand to a generation that has never played the originals. I mean, games like Fallout 3, Tales Of Monkey Island, Starcraft II and Diablo III are all appealing to new audiences as gaming has expanded exponentially since the original incarnations of those franchises. There's a huge value in using an old brand that people are aware of but know little about.

Personally I hope the Duke games do actually get released and can be based upon their own merits. They'll have to be very strong to stand up to the hype but games like Team Fortress 2 and Fallout 3 have done it so it's perfectly possible.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 14:17 Elf Shot The Food

Less Duke, more tower defense games in space.  

11. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:48 Cutter

can we just let this sad, tired, depressingly out of date macho-chest beating sexist bullshit IP die and be buried?
Its not like gaming hasn't moved on since 1923 or whenever it was duke nukem was cool.

Ditto. The fact that anyone liked Duke to begin seems more and more embarassing as time passes. I suppose it was the initial shock factor of the title and we couldn't believe they were actually "going there". So in response, we all giggled like naughty schoolboys taking a guilty pleasure with something we knew was wrong. Well...we're long past that now. Duke needs to go away and stay gone.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:26 Kxmode

"When its done!" is still the battle cry.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2009, 13:44.

9. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:23 Zyrxil

can we just let this sad, tired, depressingly out of date macho-chest beating sexist bullshit IP die and be buried?
Its not like gaming hasn't moved on since 1923 or whenever it was duke nukem was cool.

What games have you been playing? Macho cheat-beating sells millions, except now they just spout dark reflections on the apocalyptic state of the world, instead of Bruce Campbell one-liners, and their chainsaws are attached to their guns instead of their hands.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2009, 13:23.

8. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:13 nin

hAI GUIZE, THIS IS rANDY pITCHFORD. cOME BE A cONTRACTOR AT gEARBOX, AND YOU CAN WORK ON THE dUKE nOOKEM GAME!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:12 Wildone

they hired on the ghosts of devs past to work on it, they're so much cheaper than outsourcing  

6. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 13:11 Hump

I'm beginning to hate Duke....  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 12:43 Trashy

I can't wait for Duke: Dark Nukem.

4. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 12:42 jm0ris0n

Comedy like this makes me glad I'm alive.  

3. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 12:41 Jackplug

This puppy has rollen over and played dead far too long for us to give a damn..  

2. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 12:27 the_culture

I thought Gearbox was laying people off and canceling projects? Now they're developing Duke Begins?

Just release Borderlands already...

1. Re: Gearbox is Duke Begins Dev Jul 14, 2009, 12:17  cliffski 

http://www.positech.co.uk

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo