Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The Elder Scrolls Website offers the free release of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, as Bethesda Softworks celebrates the fifteenth anniversary of the release of the RPG series, just like they released The Elder Scrolls: Arena for free five years ago on the tenth anniversary The Elder Scrolls. The download is available on this page along with The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and word is: "To run these games on newer systems, you will need to download an emulation program. We have provided a link to the DOSBox emulator below." Downloads of the free game are mirrored on AtomicGamer and FileFront.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 10, 2009, 12:59 Wowbagger_TIP

That said, it’s still probably better than Oblivion.
Maybe vanilla Oblivion, but Oblivion + mods = FUN
Bethesda should throw a giant party for all the modders out there, they are what saved that game from utter mediocrity.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 10, 2009, 10:15 space captain

Thanks Professor. My point was that's the first place I'd heard those sounds, and I think of those two games when I hear them now.

no problem dumbass

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 22:07 Prez

Like the Wilhelm Scream!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 21:44 Morgan19

guys, those sound effects arent from doom or quake or whatever, they are just used in those games, like they are in countless tv shows, ads, movies, etc.

they are part of an old sound library thats considered a standard in the industry.. its the "Hollywood Edge Sound Library", been around for decades

Thanks Professor. My point was that's the first place I'd heard those sounds, and I think of those two games when I hear them now.

m19

16. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 21:31 Zadig

The bugs were legendary. Even after a million patches clicking “buy” in a shop could still crash the game. Between that and save game corruption, I’m surprised anyone could play it without going crazy.

That said, it’s still probably better than Oblivion.

15. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 21:22 Reactor

Cool, time to kill thousands of town guards, ride my horse on top of walls, houses, and in the sea...  

14. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 20:55 Veinman

I loved Daggerfall. I never got very far... I got thrown in jail for breaking into some shop, and somehow screwed up my save. I think I'll grab this just to see if I can get it to run.  

13. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 20:48 |RaptoR|

That's like saying "Fugliness aside, Roseanne Barr is in my top 5 list of all-time hottest chicks I've ever seen".

Dude, get real. Daggerfall is one big bug. It's a big, fat, retarded bug in and of itself. It's easily among the five worst games I have ever had the misfortune of playing. I wouldn't touch this free download with a 10ft pole. It's a complete waste of bandwidth.

Uh, sure, whatever you say, chief.

12. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 20:05 space captain

Haha - that and the mechanical sliding open of a door from doom are the three most common sounds that I hear in TV shows.

guys, those sound effects arent from doom or quake or whatever, they are just used in those games, like they are in countless tv shows, ads, movies, etc.

they are part of an old sound library thats considered a standard in the industry.. its the "Hollywood Edge Sound Library", been around for decades

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 19:16 DedEye

Daggerfall is the most expensive PC game I've played at $105 retail when it came out.

First thing it did when I ran it? Crashed. No doubt buggy as hell.

Once it was patched and stable it was incredible. One of the games I've played the longest.

10. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 18:32 Cutter

Daggerfall sucked. Like most Bethsoft games.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 18:20 CJ_Parker

Bugginess aside, Daggerfall is in my top 5 list of all-time favorite games

That's like saying "Fugliness aside, Roseanne Barr is in my top 5 list of all-time hottest chicks I've ever seen".

Dude, get real. Daggerfall is one big bug. It's a big, fat, retarded bug in and of itself. It's easily among the five worst games I have ever had the misfortune of playing. I wouldn't touch this free download with a 10ft pole. It's a complete waste of bandwidth.

8. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 18:16 jawlz

I still smile every time I hear that unmistakable creaking door sound effect on TV these days. (Kind of like DOOM's fireball "woosh" sound.)

Haha - that and the mechanical sliding open of a door from doom are the three most common sounds that I hear in TV shows.

----

Daggerfall was a great (if extraordinarily buggy) game. For me it was the first 'open world' game on the computer that really seemed to be completely open, and in which you could do just about anything you wanted. I've yet to see a game with even a remotely similar scope; yeah, the towns were repetitive after a while, and those dungeons were just incredible SOBs, but man, what an enormous, incredible game all the same.

7. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 18:10 |RaptoR|

Bugginess aside, Daggerfall is in my top 5 list of all-time favorite games  

6. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 18:08 Talisorn

and thus began the era of buggy bethesda games
Patch after patch after patch after patch after ........

5. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal Jul 9, 2009, 17:14 Morgan19

I still smile every time I hear that unmistakable creaking door sound effect on TV these days. (Kind of like DOOM's fireball "woosh" sound.)

m19

4. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 17:07 Kxmode

LOL Prez! 2 points  

3. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 17:05 Prez

It's free day! Next, Valve will be announcing that L4D 2 will be free!!

***runs out of thread****

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 17:03 Kxmode

Wow! Another freebie! Nice!  

1. Re: Free The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Jul 9, 2009, 17:01 space captain

and thus began the era of buggy bethesda games  
Go forth, and kill!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer