Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC

GameStop now offers a preorder bonus for Splinter Cell: Conviction, an in-game semi-automatic shotgun that fits the game's stealthy concept like a tutu on an elephant. It seems, however, this is only for the Xbox 360 edition, so PC owners will have to settle for the intrinsic bonuses of better graphics and mouse support. Thanks VG247.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 10, 2009, 01:32 Jerykk

Either way, I don't get the impression that this is going to be all balls-out firefights like Gears of War. It may seem a strange comparison, but this game, from what admittedly little has been shown of it, seems to be similar to "Manhunt", where the object is the kill, but the means to the kill is stealth. Just my impression.

I liked Manhunt but I think it's much more of a stealth game than Conviction will be. For one, in Manhunt, you couldn't take on more than one guy at a time. You had to be really methodical about who to kill first and when. Based on the Conviction walkthrough, you can clear out rooms of enemies with great ease. Another great part of Manhunt was the stalking element. The longer you crept behind your victim, the better rating you'd get. It was really intense because enemies could turn around at any moment. For every second you waited, you risked being discovered and rushed by a bunch of enemies.

I sincerely hope Conviction allows you to be truly stealthy but I'm not really expecting that to happen. In the last developer diary, one of the devs explicitly said that there were no longer separate stealth and action ways to play the game. Both have been merged, meaning the game is very linear and you don't get to choose when to hide and when to fight.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 21:07 Blatz

I guess Caveman has not learned anything then. I urge everyone to not respond to his posts... unless you happen to find it fun!  

30. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 19:07 Prez

Not too concerned about the presence of an auto-shotty myself. If the game is to have more combat than before, it'd be nice to have bigger guns. :). I would like that the option to avoid using it remained available as in past SC's, but that remains to be seen.

Either way, I don't get the impression that this is going to be all balls-out firefights like Gears of War. It may seem a strange comparison, but this game, from what admittedly little has been shown of it, seems to be similar to "Manhunt", where the object is the kill, but the means to the kill is stealth. Just my impression.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 18:44 The PC Warrior

To explain why I'm not looking forward to SC: Conviction? This is a comments thread where people respond to news topics. I didn't realize comments could only be positive.

Rolleyes

Getting back on topic, I can't say I really care about the loss of a single item especially given the nature of a shotgun in the Splinter Cell seeming very out of place.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 18:44.

28. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 18:14 Jerykk

Why are you here then?

To explain why I'm not looking forward to SC: Conviction? This is a comments thread where people respond to news topics. I didn't realize comments could only be positive.

27. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 18:09 Caveman

Never said I wasn't. I'm just explaining why I'm not looking forward to SC: Conviction.
Why are you here then?

26. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 17:50 Jerykk

Meh. Much like Hitman, you couldn't beat the old SC games unless you did exactly what the dev wanted exactly when the dev wanted.

I disagree completely. Hitman and SC are pretty open-ended. In Hitman: Blood Money, there are about a billon ways to kill any given target and in SC, there are many ways to avoid confrontations. Shooting out lights, whistling, throwing cans, climbing pipes, etc.

There's a very small portion of the market that purchases true stealth games. You're a niche, sorry.

Never said I wasn't. I'm just explaining why I'm not looking forward to SC: Conviction.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 17:51.

25. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 17:28 The PC Warrior

You could also beat the game by avoiding confrontations and sneaking past everyone. That's the point of a stealth game. I don't care if I have the option to kill everyone. What I want is the option to kill no one.

Go play Thief then. There's a very small portion of the market that purchases true stealth games. You're a niche, sorry.

24. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 17:15 Prez

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the Spinter Cell series just yet. If this were THIEF, and the developers were making Garrett into a Conan-the-Barbarian death dealer, then that would be a problem. But unlike Garrett, who does not excel at combat (thus the reliance on stealth), Sam Fischer is a trained killer who defaults to stealth for infiltration, but is well-versed in killing and indeed is comfortable with it. In other words, I don't find a game Fischer eschewing sneakery for violence more often than not all that off-putting because it still seems consistent with the franchise. Taking a wait and see approach.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 17:13 Beamer

Meh. Much like Hitman, you couldn't beat the old SC games unless you did exactly what the dev wanted exactly when the dev wanted.

Granted, plenty of old adventure games were the same way, but at least in those you didn't die and have to reload from a spot 20 minutes back if you thought on your own.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:54 Jerykk

Then stick the old ones.

Okay..?

And please spare me the "true stealth" crap. You could easily beat the old splinter cell game using your guns to drop every guard you see.

You could also beat the game by avoiding confrontations and sneaking past everyone. That's the point of a stealth game. I don't care if I have the option to kill everyone. What I want is the option to kill no one.

21. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:45 Caveman

It wasn't stale to me. True stealth games are rare. Generic shooters are not. I have no interest in a shooter with autoaim.
Then stick the old ones. And please spare me the "true stealth" crap. You could easily beat the old splinter cell game using your guns to drop every guard you see.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 15:47.

20. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:39 Jerykk

Or the fact the old trial and error stealth gameplay was stale and done to death. Why are so reluctant to change?

It wasn't stale to me. True stealth games are rare. Generic shooters are not. I have no interest in a shooter with autoaim.

As much as I love Splinter Cell, the game had a huge trial and error factor which got old and frustrating very quickly.

Not a problem for me. I'm pretty patient and will replay a level many, many times just so I can get a perfect execution. Hell, I played each level of Hitman Blood Money at least ten times so I could get the highest rating without using any guns.

19. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:36 Caveman

In this case, consolitis isn't really applicable because Splinter Cell has always been a console series. The decision to turn this into an action game has more to do with appealing to a broader audience than any console limitations.
Or the fact the old trial and error stealth gameplay was stale and done to death. Why are so reluctant to change?

As much as I love Splinter Cell, the game had a huge trial and error factor which got old and frustrating very quickly.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 15:36.

18. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:28 Jerykk

You don't have to use that at all, it's entirely optional.

The problem is that gunfights don't seem optional. From everything I've seen and heard from the devs, combat is unavoidable. The only point of being stealthy is to let you get the first shot or in this case, the cheap auto-aim guaranteed victory attack. This semi-automatic shotgun bonus only reinforces this.

Symptoms of consolitis include console oriented UIs, relative reduction of skill needed to succeed, oversaturation of action elements over more slower more patient gameplay, and itchy rash.

In this case, consolitis isn't really applicable because Splinter Cell has always been a console series. The decision to turn this into an action game has more to do with appealing to a broader audience than any console limitations.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 15:29.

17. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:10 Zyrxil

Do you even know what the term means? Symptoms of consolitis include console oriented UIs, relative reduction of skill needed to succeed, oversaturation of action elements over more slower more patient gameplay, and itchy rash.  

16. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 15:06 Caveman

How do you say this game suffers from "consolitis" when the first 4 splinter cells on PC had the exact same gameplay from the console version?

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 15:06.

15. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 14:58 PHJF

consolidationism

I do not think that means what you think it means...

In fact, I don't think that means anything.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 14:37 Caveman

I'm much more worried about the whole "click key and execute everyone in the room" functionality than the stealth stuff. That shit just looked lame as hell.
You don't have to use that at all, it's entirely optional.

13. Re: Splinter Cell Preorder Bonus: Not So Fast, PC Jul 9, 2009, 14:36 Acleacius

Not that I ever condone buying any console equipment or games since every dollar spent takes away from quality game development but.......Look what Ubisoft and to be fair Techland just did to Bound in Blood, just horrible consolidationism issues controls, fov and AI just to name a few.

I could never get into SC games, tried the first one, I remember a instance where I was stealthed in the bushes waiting for a patrol with my silenced pistol drawn. He comes by shoot him in the head and he say "Wait there's someone here!", 2 more shots to the head and he calls for help "He's over here!". Guess it could have been the starforce that gave him the invulnerable eyeballs.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 14:37.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo