Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2009, 11:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Good post Verno. I'm not much of a console player, although I do have a 360 and subscribe to XBL Gold. The XBL experience is just so far beyond PSN it's kind of funny. I tend to play mostly XBLA games on it. Stuff that my wife and I can play together. Like you, I think the PS3 has superior hardware and I would prefer to have the flexibility that it allows, but MS got it right first and did it at a lower price. I waited to buy mine until most of the RROD issues were solved, so I haven't had any problem with it. Don't see myself shelling out for a PS3 anytime soon though. I think I'm done for this generation, although if my wife really wants it, we might get a Wii.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 11:17.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 17:39 The PC Warrior

How's BF1943 anyways? Anyone check it out yet? I keep hearing mixed things that make me wonder.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 17:40.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 15:38 Tumbler

Great Post Verno. Spot on.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 14:34 Verno

Actually I don't really care who "wins" because Nintendo is the only clear winner of this current console war. If Sony overtook Microsoft it would still lose and Microsoft hasn't "won" anything by being second place. Unlike you, I can put objective thought into these discussions and am more interested in the industry on-goings instead of "SONY BEAT MS NO THEY DIDNT LOLZ".

I've said several times in the past that Sony deserved to win on hardware alone but unfortunately they didn't leverage their software catalogs to capitalize on the hardware advantage. This resulted in developers heavily favoring the 360 which is incredibly easy to work with and port to/from.

Now let's dissect your fanboyism:

Xbox has a defunct previous console attempt

No clue what this has to do with the topic material. This isn't even a credible statement. The hardware failure prone 360 with it's paid for multiplayer service outsold your fabled magical PS3 by a landslide and then some. It also has a FAR superior attach rate, the average 360 gamer owns nearly twice as many 360 titles as the PS3 player. What does that say about the PS3, going by your logic?

Now, they are only about 5 million units ahead (yes they have lost tons of ground)

Source please. Everything on Google says 8-10. Sony's own released numbers say 22mil, Microsoft's latest said 32.

have a network they are price cutting non stop just to get people to play stuff like Golden Axe, Gauntlet and Banjo-Tooie. Almost two weeks after Transfarmers 2 is out, you can still play online for a bit and get the "be ranked within the top 10000 players" achievement. Somehow doubt it's the game.

No clue what this is even supposed to mean. Yes consumers really hate when companies cut prices!!

Then we look at the Sony camp, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and a rich decades long line up of titles they are going to be whipping out

The PS1, PS2 and PSP have nothing to do with this discussion. FF7 only generated 80,000 sales. Not really something to brag about.

the 55+ console exclusives planned.

Everyone already saw your hilarious list of no-name games you trotted out last time for this discussion. People don't think Go! Nurse Trauma when they think exclusives.

A network that is free to use

The fact that XBL has more members paying for it than PSN does members(PSN includes forum and PSP accounts in their inflated totals) says a lot about the quality of that service. People are offered a free alternative and they still choose to pay. PSN has a long way to go and Home didn't do them any favors.

and hardware that actually lasts like it should (not to mention free Blu-ray player with console purchase).

Blu-Ray hasn't caught on like Sony wanted, over half of PS3 owners have never watched a Blu-Ray according to the latest NPD survey. You might have had a point about the hardware failures a year ago but Jaspers are all thats shipping and the only replacements being sent out now. Sony failed to capitalize on the RROD debacle two years ago, they should've been pushing out ad campaigns and press releases about price cuts. Instead they let Microsoft do a mea culpa and basically handed them the game.

I still haven't heard an answer to how exactly Sony will sell 10 million systems in the middle of a global recession when they have the most expensive system and the unfortunate stigma of being in third place. The console wars are largely over for awhile, people have already spent their money. No system is going to be posting massive growth rates for quite some time.

For every GT5, MS will have a big title like Mass Effect 2 and Nintendo will have Super Mario Galaxy Plumber Deluxe 9 or whatever. There will always be interesting exclusives on ALL sides of the equation. Sony didn't have them when it counted is the problem. They had the hardware edge and lost the war on the software side, both in catalog and implementation of PSN vs XBL.

Sony's best bet now is to outlast their competitors but it remains to be seen whether they can do it or not, it really depends on what Nintendo and Microsoft do in terms of the next "next gen". Most importantly Sony needs to drop the price and this cannot come fast enough, they lose ground every day they price their system out of range for people.

Not everyone is Z9000 with 5 Blu-Ray players and a library of 100 games. One day you will realize that I hope. Sadly that day will most likely not be today as I anticipate another frothing Sony fanboy response in the next few hours. I hope for your sake you wake up and realize that Sony is not your girlfriend and doesn't need to be defended from the vicious internet people who dare question her majesty.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 16:10.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 14:16 Z9000

Verno the Xbox fanboy strikes again!

Xbox has a defunct previous console attempt, and an early start with the 360 and Halo. Now, they are only about 5 million units ahead (yes they have lost tons of ground) and have a network they are price cutting non stop just to get people to play stuff like Golden Axe, Gauntlet and Banjo-Tooie. Almost two weeks after Transfarmers 2 is out, you can still play online for a bit and get the "be ranked within the top 10000 players" achievement. Somehow doubt it's the game.

Then we look at the Sony camp, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and a rich decades long line up of titles they are going to be whipping out every week on PSN along with the 55+ console exclusives planned. A network that is free to use and hardware that actually lasts like it should (not to mention free Blu-ray player with console purchase).

I don't think Sony needs any help from me or anyone else at this point. But feel free to feel threatened every time I post. It's amusing.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 14:18.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 13:40 Verno

Doesn't matter what analysts say, when you are bored not having much to play on Xbox other than cross platform stuff (and hearing about Natal over and over instead of new games only makes your angrier), you will probably grab a PS3 on the next RROD. I am seeing this scenario play out with people I know who were Xbox only.

Rolleyes And yet somehow people play stuff on their Xbox360's, Nintendo Wii and computers every day. If you can't even seriously discuss these things, why bother hitting the topic? Everyone knows you're an idiot at this point and people aren't running out to get PS3s just because Z9000 says "OMG DA BEST GAMES GUYS". Seriously stay out of discussions if you can't control your inner 10 year old child.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 13:42.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 13:22 Z9000

Doesn't matter what analysts say, when you are bored not having much to play on Xbox other than cross platform stuff (and hearing about Natal over and over instead of new games only makes your angrier), you will probably grab a PS3 on the next RROD. I am seeing this scenario play out with people I know who were Xbox only.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 12:24 Verno

I suspect they will just cut the price on the old SKUs and that the slim(if it appears) will be the same price point.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 12:19 dryden555

We already know that SONY is releasing a "slim footprint" PS3 for XMAS time and strong rumors are that it will cost less, so I wouldnt take what the SONY CEO is saying to the press too seriously.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 12:03 Tumbler

BF1943 Released....MOTHERFUCKER...why am I at work right now!?

Edit:

Anyway, all the analysts are predicting Sony will edge out the 360 now

This is absurd unless they have knowledge of future content that the public is unaware of. Xbox Live is what is winning the console war right now. The content on both machines is pretty good, with more games leaning toward the 360. But the real game changer is live and the content it delivers. The ease of use, excellent placement of advertising and wealth of small cheap games are decimating Sony's comparable PSN network. The PSN network is basically a rudementary store for buying games. The Live system in general is so much more, even if it's only cosmetic, it's presented in a more effective way. Given the choice between buying the same game on PSN or Live I'd take Live every day of the week.

The 1 vs 100 game show on live is a good example of content that will appeal to a different audience from those who go out and buy the $60 games. That is another game my GF enjoys playing with me.

And there seems to be more content coming to live all the time. I can't say the same for PSN. There seems to be a distinct lack of content there. Even Home, which is still in Beta, offers you only a small collection of furniture before you are expected to pay cash for additional items?! (IT'S IN BETA!) Trophies were added and I occasionally earn those as I'm playing games but they do not feel connected to the games at all.

The one thing that Sony seems to be using it's PSN for is ambitious online games. You won't find 32 player games like Warhawk, killzone 2, or the 256 player MAG coming soon, on the 360. There is potential there but to suggest that the PS3 will pull ahead without some phenomenal service comparable to Xbox Live is crazy. Anything is possible but Live is kicking their ass and people have to pay money to use it... Says a lot about how good that service is...

One thing Sony should have done with Home that I hope they do in the future is link your game accomplishments to the home interface. I expected those trophies to be useable somehow in home so you can unlock stuff or put more unique content in your pad and then people can view that like they would view a gamer profile on the 360. They have potential they just need to connect the dots.

So far home seems to be the Sony equivalent of the Sims 3. Pay us to put stupid shit in a room. Are you fucking high Sony? Imagine if MS charged $2 for every new item they added to those avatar outfits and you'll have a grasp of how stupid their strategy is with home. Fucking $2 for an imaginary couch...

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 12:20.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 11:46 Verno

Anyway, all the analysts are predicting Sony will edge out the 360 now

I've seen exactly one analyst predict this, Pachter and he's notoriously idiotic with all of his industry predictions. I really don't see how Sony can "edge" out Microsoft when they are down 10 million units, their base has a very poor software attach rate, we're in the middle of a worldwide economic recession and finally their growth rates aren't matching Nintendo or Microsofts. Sony had success in Japan, Microsoft had phenomenal success in NA. Sony hedged it's bets that the hardware would sell the system and they are now in third place due to it.

There were many opportunities for Sony to pull ahead, they should have cut prices much deeper when the red ring debacle was at it's height. Sony hardware is always excellent, Sony management is hilariously inept. Even the PS2 was largely bungled at launch but saved by an entrenched third party catalog, backwards compatibility and Sega's various Dreamcast failures.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 11:34 Agent.X7

Thank you, Dice. *Gives them the finger*  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 10:35 Beamer

Eh, I believe he's a non-native speaker, so no irony. I certainly couldn't do this site in another language (though I could possibly come close in spanish.)

Anyway, all the analysts are predicting Sony will edge out the 360 now. I will believe it when I see it, but the 360s failure in Japan is a guarantee while the PS brand will always be at least a bit of a success in the US, which gives some credence to those predictions.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 10:21 Verno

Didn't any one learned yet?

There is some irony in this statement.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 10:09 Huzsar

Didn't any one learned yet? Even if Sony was doing a price cut which I'm thinking they will do in august, they would ofcource dismiss it now so they would not canibilize their sales for this month. They did he same thing before the last price cut.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2009, 09:36 Verno

Sony CEO dismisses price cut chatter on PlayStation.

What a moron. This is exactly what Sony needs right now to stay competitive, their growth numbers are flatlining compared to the Wii and 360. It's a bad economy and they're in third place with the most expensive system. A price drop is a no-brainer. His excuse?

Asked about the logic of not cutting prices, Stringer said, "I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic."

Sony has historically always lost money on the Playstation consoles, they usually only make money on them towards the end of life phase of manufacturing. They are not Nintendo who can ship cheap hardware and support it with decades old franchises. They need to lose money on the consoles for awhile and make money on the software. They can't do that right now due to the PS3's horrible attach rate but maybe if the system was cheaper then the base would increase and the attach rate with it.

Sony is run by morons, they need new leadership. The PS3 deserved to win this generation by virtue of the hardware specs alone and instead is losing considerably, 10 million units behind Microsoft and over 25 million behind Nintendo.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo