Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs

Trademark markers superannuation have uncovered trio of new filings by Blizzard Entertainment for the title Cataclysm. The trademarks cover computer games, paper-based products (comic books, trading cards, coloring books), and online games.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 7, 2009, 23:20 Wallshadows

Whether you guys like them or not they're going to sell millions of copies regardless of the issues talked about here.

Their games are fun and they stick to the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. So what if they rehash the products? Don't buy it and let everyone else who will buy it enjoy it you douche bags. It's my money and I am entitled to do what I want with it just like everyone else is entitled do what they want.

My guess is is that everyone who runs their mouth and tries to convince or downplay others about their personal choice or opinions are the ones who will stomp their feet and run to their rooms if mommy or daddy does not give them what they wanted. So now they've developed some smug personality disorder to balance their ego.

If we were all adults here, none of this should apply and we would all act accordingly. However......

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 3, 2009, 09:07 Masa

Oh, it's my humble opinion that Blizzard Entertainment is hugely overrated. They just don't put out enough to keep me following their catalog, nor have they put out anything in this last decade to keep me interested. I toyed with WoW and Warcraft 3, but...it just didn't keep me coming back like Diablo or Starcraft.  

47. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 3, 2009, 04:33 Flatline

I'll bet that it's another WoW expansion. I *could* be wrong though.

I hope to God that it's a new IP, because let's face it, Blizzard has 2.5 IPs. They have Warcraft/World of Warcraft/Diablo 3 (different settings, but an earlier poster is right, they're recycling art from WoW), and they have starcraft.

I give it the extra .5 IP because at one point Diablo 1 & 2 were a separate IP, but WoW plundered the skill system and the loot system and well, the two have merged gameplay wise.

Ironically I don't have much of a problem with the D3 art style, because personally I'm a devotee of function before form. Graphics and art aren't as important to me as good gameplay and functionality is.

However, Starcraft 2 doesn't get a pass. They've said themselves that the SC2 team has been tasked at least once to WoW expansion development. To be frank, from what I've seen it shows. There's almost *no* progression that I've seen from the original Starcraft. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I missed stuff (entirely possible, I am not a slave to Blizzard like I used to be), but it seems like it's a slapdash retread of Starcraft.

Blizzard went downhill for me with Warcraft 3. I have no clue why. It just never resonated with me. Ever since then they've been meh. Well, that *could* be because they've only released one product since then, and I have tried repeatedly to get into WoW, and to date I can only last maybe 3 nights or so of playing. MMOs just don't hold the allure other games do, which is ironic because I'm a huge Pen & Paper RPG fan.

46. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 3, 2009, 04:19 RollinThundr

You don't need to purchase the other two to play with all of the units online, they are simply the singleplayer stories. If the campaign is anywhere near as large as Blizzard claims, then the other two probably would've been expansion packs anyways. It's not like Starcraft is a franchise that's estranged from expansion packs in the first place. I am not defending their removal of lan play but I will say the decision to split the singleplayer is a non-interest to me and I suspect won't affect many purchase decisions with the game itself

So you'd rather pay for 1/3 of the game, and rather than get additional story in expansion packs, pay for the rest of the story instead? Yeah thats a real bargin there. Anyone who doesn't see this for what it is, an absolute money grab is a moron.
Blizzard: Hey we need another 3 years to finish the game
Activision: You've had 5 already, 2009 period deal with it
Blizzard: Ok well we've only managed to finish one campaign due to how inept our management and developers are. How bout we just release one race's campaign in the main game and charge for the other two and call them expansion packs?
Activision: Brillant!

45. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 2, 2009, 10:54 Verno

Its just a cheap trick to get paid the same thing 3 times for very little work on their part.

You don't need to purchase the other two to play with all of the units online, they are simply the singleplayer stories. If the campaign is anywhere near as large as Blizzard claims, then the other two probably would've been expansion packs anyways. It's not like Starcraft is a franchise that's estranged from expansion packs in the first place. I am not defending their removal of lan play but I will say the decision to split the singleplayer is a non-interest to me and I suspect won't affect many purchase decisions with the game itself.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

44. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 2, 2009, 10:43 Prez

Taking so long to get Diablo2 out, dropping half the promised features, releasing it in 2000 with a max res of 640x480.

Pretty OT thought here, but as much as I've loved Blizzard over the years (not quite as much love for Blizzard/Activision), I have to say that I never got why Blizzard got a pass for this. I couldn't believe that a developer of Blizzard's stature would release a game with such a pitiful resolution cap. They later upped it to a not much less shitty 800x600, but still...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 2, 2009, 10:36 IQ

"Yeah because removing LAN play from a game has NEVER happened before and will never happen again."

Don't be a moron. It doesn't matter if it has happened a million times before or if it will happen a million times again - IT IS BAD that they did it for Starcrap2

42. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 2, 2009, 10:35 IQ

"I still don't understand the pissing and moaning over the three releases thing. We get the main game plus 2 expansion packs, with the single-player story extending over all three titles;"

Its just a cheap trick to get paid the same thing 3 times for very little work on their part.

41. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm Jul 2, 2009, 09:27 theyarecomingforyou

This will be a darker game than Wow.
So it's going to be darker than a brightly coloured cartoon MMO? I'm not sure that's a particularly big revelation, y'know.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

40. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 2, 2009, 06:39 InBlack

Hellslayer, for a born-again christian you sure do like your games dark, scary and pagan....  

I have a nifty blue line!

39. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 2, 2009, 04:42 Muscular Beaver

LOL so you're one of those people.

Are you seriously judging people who dont like what you like?
And even if so, its obvious that its a huge break from the old style. Even you cant deny that.
I mean, just look at the screenshots, if you have played WoW for just a bit you should notice that at least the ground textures look almost exactly like those in WoW.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 2, 2009, 00:32 HellSlayer

This will be a darker game than Wow. I have not seen anything yet, but I sense something........It is....it is.....have no idea... but it feels good talking about it!:)

Diablo2 is the perfect example of why you want an item based system in your rpgs and mmorpg. The game is the same bosses and levels over and over. Here is the the key, it has the best item based system of any game. I see the next mmorpg by blizzard being less cartoon like(because of the hardware tech now) and much darker than wow because of the name and the feedback for d3. Remember Wow's graphics decisions were based on current tech and I must say they made the right decision at the time. I hate load times and they did make Wow seamless in most cases. Be ready to see some awesome stuff by Blizzard. I did not proof read so...um bash me about the grammar! :0

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2009, 00:50.

o0

37. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 2, 2009, 00:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Full area count for Diablo II:

Act I - 36
Act II - 36
Act III - 28
Act IV - 6
Act V - 25
Total - 131

Compare this with Diablo 1's 18 (Tristram, 16 levels of dungeon, and Lazarus's Chambers).

Edit: And if anyone is curious I got the first set of numbers from The Arreat Summit, and the second (complete) set from here http://www.planetdiablo.com/expansiond2/walkthrough/

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2009, 00:15.

36. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 2, 2009, 00:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Oh come on, you can't count the random dungeons! Nobody goes in those! They're just Den of Evil x50 and without the skill point.

I didn't count them. Would you like me to?

35. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 1, 2009, 23:27 PHJF

Oh come on, you can't count the random dungeons! Nobody goes in those! They're just Den of Evil x50 and without the skill point.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Guy's... it's ok... Jul 1, 2009, 23:27 The Half Elf

Seems it does NOT belong to Blizzard but some guy in Australia, check the link.

Please proceed to untwist your panties and return to your corners.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

33. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 1, 2009, 21:04 Talisorn

There's nothing official that says this is the name for their new MMO. If you ask the WOW crowd they think it's the name for next World of Warcraft expansion. Wait for an official announcement from Blizzard!
Very True. That was an assumption on my part. I guess I'm really hungry to know what their next MMO is going to be.

The other option of it being the next WoW expansion is probably right on the money. Popular conjecture is that the next expansion will take the game to the Maelstrom ... which was the result of a cataclysm, splitting Kalamdor in two. This is probably the more likely option.

But seriously ... why wait for Blizzard to tell us the facts. Speculation is far more fun!!

32. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 1, 2009, 19:31 Scottish Martial Arts

Read one of the very first things Roper spat out as a feature for Diablo II, that EACH act of Diablo II was EQUAL in size to ALL of Diablo 1. To summarize, Blizzard told us there were 4 Acts, and that each act was Diablo 1 sized in length, content.

I can beat Diablo II, LoD included, with a new char from scratch in 4 hours not exploiting any cheats and not passing on good gear from other chars to the new char.

In fairness, with the exception of Act IV, that's a pretty accurate description. Keep in mind that Diablo 1 is only 16 levels (+ Lazarus' Sanctum) of dungeon, none of which are any bigger than the average Diablo 2 map size. Act I of Diablo 2 has 16 areas, some of which are composed of multiple levels or have extra caves or dungeons that you don't have to enter. Act II has 16. Act III has 13. Act IV has 6. Act V has 25. Compared to Diablo 1, Diablo 2 really is about 4 times the size in terms of sheer content. Now a good player can skip much of that content and still be able to progress, but nevertheless Diablo 2 is a substantially larger game than its predecessor.

31. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 1, 2009, 19:29 PHJF

Now try beating it in 4 hours walking all the time, because in Diablo there is no running!.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Re: Blizzard's Cataclysm TMs Jul 1, 2009, 19:00 Kxmode

o...k.....wait, isn't that the year 2012?

can't wait to get started with the guild building the starship.

A Space Ark! I got dibs on a window seat!

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo