Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaikai Demonstration Movie

DPerry.com, the homepage of Dave Perry, now features a video showing off Gaikai, the cloud-based gaming service announced earlier this year. The clip shows off Spore, Mario Kart, LEGO Star Wars II, Need for Speed ProStreet, World of Warcraft, EVE Online, as well as Photoshop (to show non-gaming applications for the service), all running in a browser with no client downloads. The clip is accompanied by more from Perry on the project's background and goals, word that those interested in beta testing should sign up at the Gaikai Website, and this overview: "We are not in competition with any other streaming company or technology, our business model is entirely different. I will be talking about it more during my up-coming speeches at video game conferences. (Develop this month, and GDC Europe are the next two.)." Here is a list of points he makes about the planned service and the video demonstration:

(1) No installing anything. (I'm running regular Windows Vista, with the latest Firefox and Flash is installed.)

(2) This is a low-spec server, it's a very custom configuration, fully virtualized. Why? To keep the costs to an absolute minimum. We had 7 Call of Duty games running on our E3 demo server recently.

(3) Data travel distance is around 800 miles (round trip) on this demo as that's where the server is. I get a 21 millisecond ping on that route. My final delay will be 10 milliseconds as I just added a server in Irvine California yesterday, but it's not added to our grid yet. (So this demo is twice the delay I personally would get, the good news is I don't notice it anyway.)

(4) This server is not hosted by a Tier 1 provider, just a regular Data Center in Freemont California. Also, I'm not cheating and using fiber connections for our demos. This is a home cable connection in a home.

(5) We don't claim to have 5,000 pages of patents, we didn't take 7 years, and we do not claim to have invented 1 millisecond encryption and custom chips. As you can see, we don't need them, and so our costs will be much less. ;)

(6) We designed this for the real internet. The codecs change based on the need of the application, and based on the hardware you have. (Like Photoshop must be pixel perfect.)

(7) Our bandwidth is mostly sub 1 megabit across all games. (Works with Wifi, works on netbooks with no 3D card etc.)

(8) If you hear any clicks, they are coming from my wireless headset microphone. I won't use that next time I promise. :)

(9) I made a few video cuts using Windows Movie maker to cut out dead air. Like Need for Speed has far to many menus with loads & delays between them. So I tried to keep the pace up so you see plenty of demos.

View
9. Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Jul 1, 2009, 18:41 Beamer

The way to think about it is like cable - instead of owning you get a whole bunch of options for a monthly fee.

In many ways this isn't bad. For one, if the service is a success then the games aren't going anywhere. For another, how often do you boot up most of your old games (we all have a few exceptions that we've taken with us for a half-dozen PCs.)

If the price is right it'll be interesting:
Say it's $60 a month, or the cost of one full game. If you buy a game a month anyway this is a good deal. In fact, it can be better than a good deal. Take that FPS you bought and only got 5-10 hours out of, maybe FEAR. You beat it in a week. With this you can move to the next game without paying more. Great win!
On the flip side, take that other game you bought, maybe Fallout 3 (but not for Jerykk.) You spent two months playing that game and just that game. Well, now it cost you $120.

So it'll be great for games you blow through, bad for ones that eat your life (RPGs and online games mostly.) It still might work out.

I'd be more interested in how they pay royalties. They have a lot of metrics to grab here, most interestingly they can monitor total hours played. Wouldn't it be impressive if publishers\developers got paid for each hour played? It'd give developers incentive to really design a game that you keep coming back to, either because it's so replayable (puzzles, strategies) or so deep, rich and long (RPGs.) Sid Meier, PopCap and Valve would be rolling in cash. Well, I guess they already are, but it'd be more tangible.
There'd be less incentive to create short, forgettable games, or maybe just more incentive to genericize them down so they get the widest reach...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 1, 13:53 Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Zzet
  2. Jul 1, 14:28  Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Aero
  3. Jul 1, 14:35   Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Joss
  7. Jul 1, 15:35   Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Jerykk
  8. Jul 1, 16:57    Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Wildone