Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming

A post to the ICTs for Development Blog has an explanation from Professor Richard Heeks that interpretations of a new ruling that say China has banned gold-farming are not actually accurate (thanks IncGamers). According to the professor, the new law impacts the reverse situation, banning using virtual currency to buy real items:

This is a government restriction on the use of the quasi-Paypal-like currencies (mainly QQ coins) that are used extensively in China to pay for virtual game stuff. As announced they can now only be used to pay for virtual stuff, and you canít buy real things with them as game companies were allowing to happen, nor can you gamble. This therefore is not about what gold farming clients do: use real money to buy these virtual currencies; itís the mirror image. And itís not about the major trade in gold farming such as World of Warcraft, which relates to other types of virtual currency. And itís not about buying/selling in-game items. And itís not about the power-levelling of avatars. Bottom line: itís not about gold farming.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 2, 2009, 06:48 InBlack

Everyone, what did you just finish reading Mein Kampf??  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 14:54 everyone

So sophomoric.

So learn to not be dumb.

16. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 14:15 Stanly Manly

Oh, don't you worry. I never plan on breeding. Babies are fucking up this planet almost as much as China. Didn't you read what I wrote before? We need less babies. Just look at all the hard gangster wannabes shooting up neighborhoods.

And you don't put an apostrophe with "its" unless you're trying to say "it is." Go to school.

So sophomoric.

15. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 13:08 everyone

Obviously if the game is flawed enough to allow something like this in the first place, it's not a game any sane person would want to play. Seems more like work to me, and not fun at all.

If you're flipping out because China still gets to make money off your shitty little pastime, maybe you're taking a videogame just a little too seriously. Get off your asses and get a job or go to school to learn to use grammar properly or something.

14. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 13:03 Stanly Manly

So you can prove conclusively that you have to grind longer because of chinese gold farmers?

Oddly enough, it always seems to me that prices go down, not up. Also seems that plenty of gear drops from dungeons, or quests, or raids. Crazy, I know.

Keep parroting off what someone else told you though, that cluelessness looks good on ya.

13. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:53 everyone

Do humanity a favor & PLEASE dont breed! Folks what you see in the above quote is idiocracy in it's real form...

Oh, don't you worry. I never plan on breeding. Babies are fucking up this planet almost as much as China. Didn't you read what I wrote before? We need less babies. Just look at all the hard gangster wannabes shooting up neighborhoods.

And you don't put an apostrophe with "its" unless you're trying to say "it is." Go to school.

12. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:44 necrosis

Stanly Manly-

Yes. It is a video game. Something we play to have fun. Something we pay for to have fun. Not deal with assholes jacking up prices on things making us grind more time to get things in game.

Seriously. Shut the fuck up if you have no idea what your talking about.

11. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:36 Techie714 ©

Honestly, I don't care about dipshits in China being suckered. But seriously, can't we just fucking nuke everyone in China off the face of the earth and start over? My god. There are billions of people on the planet, and most of them are in China. What REALLY has China done to better the world? Nothing. They pollute, they ignore international law, they are run by a crazy dictator who should be sniped in the face, and they simply WILL NOT STOP BREEDING. Simple solution: Free up the land for those of us who are worth living.

Do humanity a favor & PLEASE dont breed! Folks what you see in the above quote is idiocracy in it's real form...

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:22 Zyrxil

You're not seriously suggesting anyone would keep you alive if that sort of thing were done?  

9. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:17 everyone

Honestly, I don't care about dipshits in China being suckered. But seriously, can't we just fucking nuke everyone in China off the face of the earth and start over? My god. There are billions of people on the planet, and most of them are in China. What REALLY has China done to better the world? Nothing. They pollute, they ignore international law, they are run by a crazy dictator who should be sniped in the face, and they simply WILL NOT STOP BREEDING. Simple solution: Free up the land for those of us who are worth living.  

8. Re: Cant Do it! Jul 1, 2009, 12:17 Techie714 ©

I'm no fan of farming that's for sure. With that said though their is no way China can ban farming their are entire Chinese families that rely on those jobs as their only source of food to feed their family. China is a very poor country & gold farming is one way to feed it's people.

I do wish however game companies could stop it though.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:16 Pigeon

This is about taxes, not gambling.
That's what I figured when I first heard they were banning gold farming. The only way the Chinese government would care is if they aren't getting their share.

Also on the Supply/Demand comment. Just because there's a supply and demand for something doesn't make it good or okay. There's a supply and demand for murder, does that make it okay? Or maybe a more pertinent example, there's a supply and demand for steroids by professional ball players, does that mean it should be okay for ball players to do as much steroids as their bodies can handle?

6. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 12:15 Kxmode

"QQ coins" LOL. Even their currency sounds cute.  

5. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 11:53 Stanly Manly

Demand... supply. I don't see a problem.

Whiners who want to champion the "cause" of in game "economies" are the same kind of people who strap themselves to a tree to protest it from being cut down. Some people just want to complain about something. And they will never be able to give any substantial reasoning behind their protest. Just parrot off whatever someone else told them.

I mean, seriously, its a video game. Step back and say that again... vid e o game.

4. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 11:23 Cutter

This is about taxes, not gambling.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 10:48 Stormsinger

It is, as I saw someone mention the other day, about clamping down on gambling. Although it appears to be written a bit more broadly than that, that has long been a goal of the Chinese government.  

2. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 10:12 InBlack

So lemme get this straight...You can STILL buy Virtual currency or items for REAL MONEY, you just cant use your virtual currency to buy real things...heheh....  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 09:59 necrosis

Knew it was to good to be true.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo