Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Ubisoft announces that Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 is now available in North American stores, offering Techland's prequel to their wild west shooter Call of Juarez:

SAN FRANCISCO — JUNE 30, 2009 — Today Ubisoft announces that Call of Juarez®: Bound in Blood, the prequel to the Wild West action shooter Call of Juarez, is now available in stores across North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC. Developed by Techland, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood takes place 20 years prior to the events of the original storyline.

Following the story of the McCall Brothers, players enter a quest for the legendary Gold of Juarez leading them from a ravaged Georgia during the Civil War to the Aztec ruins of Mexico. The brothers, Ray and Thomas, make their lawless trail into a truly Wild West, using their superior gun-slinging skills to take out all of those that stand in their way.

"Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is one of the best and most authentic Wild West experiences ever offered as interactive entertainment,” said Tony Key , senior vice president of sales & marketing. "We know that the Wild West offers a great setting that is underrepresented in the world of interactive entertainment and we are proud to bring this quality product to the marketplace.”

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood also brings the Wild West mayhem online. Gunslingers, bandits and marshals struggle online for bounty, and multiple character classes can be unlocked for use during team-based objective modes or the straightforward team death match. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood introduces an innovative Bounty System, which increases the bounty on a player's head as they rack up more kills.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jul 1, 2009, 15:04 Z9000

Finished it. 10 hours recorded time elapsed (37% campaign hit percentage) but that doesn't count the 4-6 hours or restarting at a checkpoint. There's some cheese at the end as well. I warmed up to the game at the end but it's still about a 7/10 for me.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jul 1, 2009, 10:21 Z9000

I am almost done with the game and there are 2 open world areas with 3 side missions each. It made me wish the whole game was like this! Wall

It's been fun since the civil war part. It's odd, that civil war part of the game feels alien and like something totally different, like someone else designed it, and it just doesn't fit with how the rest of the game plays, looks, and feels.

The downside to the game is that I really don't like any of the characters that much. Thomas a little bit I guess because he's so honest. But didn't anyone learn from Kane and Lynch:Dead Men? I don't care about them and the story suffers because it's just a bunch of thugs talking about whatever they want to talk about. Don't get me started on the whimpy third brother who is a worthless addition. I love Deadwood and Ian McShane (not sure if that is him but it sure does sound like him doing the voice of Ray). But the whole group of guys is missing any kind of real charm.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jul 1, 2009, 01:16 Caveman

Alright so I have played this game for about 2 hours and I will share my impressions...it's HORRIBLE.

This is one of the most dumbed down, frustrating sequels I have ever played. All the enemies have 100% accuracy on hard difficulty, so if you even poke around the corner, you get shot. The cover system is also downright terrible, causing me to die more times than I care to recall, because it's automatic. The controls just suck for the most, and the new bullet time features are more frustrating than useful.

The AI just flat out bad, and they run slow and they are always the ones who have to trigger the scripted events. During gunfights, I spent more time taking cover to recharge my health(since it's regenerating) than shooting, and that's when I wasn't getting bombarded with dynamite. The pacing is just terrible.

The game just reeks of a console port, with a big letters all over your HUD and a giant yellow star that always marks your objective. They are very distracting and annoying and it always says RELOADING when ever you reload your gun.

This feels like a crappy Call of Duty clone in the wild west. Do yourself a favor and avoid this game and stick the the first, since it's about 100x better than this.

One last thing, they have a sprint button in the game, but you run the same speed sprinting as you do normally, so it has zero purpose.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 18:00 Z9000

I picked it back up and got past all the annoying civil war areas. Now in to the traditional western stuff and starting to enjoy the game, although it is just a narrative shooting gallery like COD. I am playing PS3, so no quicksave, and playing hardest mode. Haven't had a freeze at all since the other post so I am thinking one particular fight had an issue (the 25+ soldiers guarding the house with a cannon).  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 15:26 Techie714 ©

Man this meatloaf sandwich is the bomb!!! Nice  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 15:19 Jerykk

This is a console port, no question about it. But there is quicksave.  

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 15:15 Acleacius

Save points, huh? There were no Save points in CoJ, unless there was some console version. I just played through it last week, to refresh my memory for the sequel. This sounds really weird, I hope it hasn't turned out to be some kind of console crap game, was really looking forward to it, despite it's flaws. You would think with most gamers complaining of specific problems like the issues of Stealth (which they seemed to fix in that 1gig enhancement patch) they wouldn't go turn this into a console game.

I liked Gun but it had console issues too, it's odd both Gun and CoJ seem to try to follow in Outlaws shadow but neither seem to be able to get passed poor console quality designs.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 15:15 Jerykk

Z9000, you realize the game has quicksave, right?

Anyway, here are my gripes:

1) Aim assist.
2) Cover system. Can be disabled but you still can't lean manually.
3) AI has 99% accuracy on hard difficulty.
4) Level design is very linear and scripted.

What I like:

1) Graphics are nice.
2) Duels are fun.
3) Voice acting is pretty good.
4) Story seems interesting thus far.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 14:53 RCH

Well, what you described certainly sounds like COJ. I liked the original, although I can't remember why.

Is it true no DRM at all?

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 14:17 Z9000

Put the game down, too tedious to re-search all the items and junk between save points when you die. May play it at some point.

Some places really need a check point and don't have them. This game has locked up three times in two hours. When playing with your AI brother he proceeds at his own pace pretty much playing the game for you as you try and heal. The game asks you to search for secrets and scrounge around, but for the most part it keeps you on a hurried pace firmly on rails with penalties if you deviate too much, or at the wrong time. Another really annoying thing is that you occasionally will get hit while completely undeniably behind strong cover (like 3 foot thick trees or cement blocks).

Don't buy this expecting something as deep and content rich as "Gun" because it isn't here. I'd really rather play "Gun" over again than play COJ after struggling with it for 2 hours. Maybe after a patch it will be worth trying again. I want to get in the door, but it's firmly shut, and I am done knocking for now.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 15:00.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 13:19 MTechnik

Ahh, thanks! Blues usually says when it's there too... I might have to get this as I have done almost everything in Plants vs. Zombies.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 12:58 Caveman

This game doesn't have any DRM whatsoever, even pirated copies can go online.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 12:55 Zyrxil

Uh, http://store.steampowered.com/app/21980/
Yes, you'll wait 2 hours.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 12:55 Caveman

It is on Steam...  

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 12:54 MTechnik

no steam? I'll wait...  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.