Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Firefox 3.5

Firefox version 3.5 is now available, offering the latest version of Mozilla's web browser (thanks Cale). This page describes the new version, this CNET article offers some analysis (thanks Mike Martinez), while Slashdot point the way to a review of the new release on Slate Magazine.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jul 4, 2009, 22:30 cronik

Firefox is dead!!! Long live the new king of web browsers Google Chrome!!!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jul 4, 2009, 00:31 theyarecomingforyou

I think Firefox has had its day. Now it suffers from everything they attacked IE for - lacking standards support, security issues, poor performance and slow development. The only reason it's still used is for its extension support. Personally I'm liking Chrome. It looks better, performs a shit-tonne faster and has better standards support. It's lacking in privacy (can't disable browser history) and extension support (though you can block ads and add mouse gestures) but they're being worked on.

I look forward to decent extension support for Chrome (and maybe Opera - it's strange they're taking so long) as then the browser wars may really kick off.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jul 1, 2009, 22:04 Kxmode

Foxxy Browser! Love  

37. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jul 1, 2009, 08:41 Beaner

I love firefox but to be honest Im really not finding 3.5 to feel as snappy and fast as I expected. Chrome is still much snappier and faster then FF 3.5. Sorry its just the truth.  

36. If Creston dies... Jul 1, 2009, 03:03 The Half Elf

I call dibs on all his gaming stuff, I don't care how close nin lives to him or how quickly the nin-van can get there.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 23:11 HellSlayer

The Fox ownsZsZsZs you!:)  
o0

33. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 19:54 The PC Warrior

The only thing Chrome lacks is a stable Linux version

And hundreds of useful extensions. 3.5 is actually pretty damned fast btw, big improvement over the previous 3.x revisions. The javascript engine especially is really improved, gmail loads in a snap now.

32. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 18:17 J

And here... we...... go!

(Cue browser wars theme music)

31. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 18:15 dubfanatic

Firefox 3 is such a pig, it makes me want to slash its throat and roast it with an apple in its mouth. Google Chrome is faster and more secure. The only thing Chrome lacks is a stable Linux version, but I only care about that when I'm on the road with my netbook (like right now). Even if 3.5 is faster I'm sticking with Chrome on my main machine.  

30. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:35 Creston

Wait 3.5 was just released officially today? I've been using it for weeks already. What the hell is the difference? I don't think mine is a release candidate

No, what you're using is the Pre-Release candidate. Probably worth it to upgrade.

Edit : Well, seems like the PRC and the actual 3.5 are the same, judging by version numbers.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 17:36.

29. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:34 Quboid

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

From a Firefox 3.5 downloaded today a few hours after this article was posted.

Thanks The PC Warrior, that was the extension causing most of my problems.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 17:37.

- Quboid

28. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:33 Creston

If Creston were to die, I would feel worse about that than I did for Farrah Fawcett, David Carradine, Ed McMhan, and Michael Jackson put together!!! (But not worse than I felt about Billy "Immaculately Coiffed" Mays - let's not get carried away!!!)

And the "Backhanded Compliment Of The Month Award" goes to... Prez! Thanks man!

Hehehe.

Creston

27. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:25 The PC Warrior

One of the more commonly used extensions Tab Mix Plus has a development version that works fine with 3.5 - link here or direct link to XPI file on author's site  

26. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:21 dryden555

be advised -- some of your cherished add-on might not work in 3.5 yet, though many already do  

25. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:14 everyone

Wait 3.5 was just released officially today? I've been using it for weeks already. What the hell is the difference? I don't think mine is a release candidate. The about window says
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090616 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Maybe this official version is newer.. I dunno. I also have 3.6a1pre installed, and it's a LOT faster at loading pages. It's not even called Firefox. It's called Minefield. Been using that for a few weeks as well. Not sure which I like better as neither one lets all my extensions work quite yet.

24. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 17:08 HellSlayer

Firefox is it!:) Opera needs to drop their plug in system. It sucks!:)  
o0

23. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 16:54 Prez

Since we are on the kick of stroking Creston's ample ego, allow me to contribute. If Creston were to die, I would feel worse about that than I did for Farrah Fawcett, David Carradine, Ed McMhan, and Michael Jackson put together!!! (But not worse than I felt about Billy "Immaculately Coiffed" Mays - let's not get carried away!!!)  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 16:46 Creston

Creston's ego is like that guy who turns into a world consuming blob at the end of Akira

Nah, think BIGGER!

And yeah, don't mess with MY GAMES!!! Ain't nobody messing with my games except me!

Creston

21. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 16:17 Bucky

I'd been browsing a lot with the Opera 10 Beta (or is it RC?) lately and had been thinking about giving Firefox up. Fortunately this release pulls it's speed out of the can and gets it close enough that I'll keep FF as the default browser. Opera still feels faster to me, but there are a few things that I don't like--enough so that I'll stick with the (now only slightly) slower Firefox.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo