Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - ARMA II

ARMA II is now available on Steam, offering digital distribution of this military shooter sequel from Bohemia Interactive Studios. A playable demo for the game was released yesterday, and here's some of the spiel for the game:

Building on 10 years of constant engine development, ARMA II boasts the most realistic combat environment in the world. It models real world ballistics & round deflection, materials penetration, features a realtime day/night cycle and dynamic wind, weather and environmental effects. The simulation of a combat environment is so effective, the engine forms the basis for training simulators used by real armies the world over.

Although ArmA II is set in the fictional ex-soviet state of 'Chernarus' the gameworld is actually a 225 square kilometer chunk of the real world! ARMA II's highly detailed landscape is a meticulous facsimile of real terrain, modeled using extensive geographical data. This recreated region is brought to life with spectacular environmental effects and populated with dynamic civilian settlements and wildlife. Wild animals roam the atmospheric forests while the people of Chernarus try to live out their lives among the war-torn streets.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jul 1, 2009, 15:29 cronik

Arma 2 is amazing!!!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 29, 2009, 11:59 Verno

It's a crappy game. Can't stand it. The game isn't worth more than $10 imo. It's a violent outlet for very frustrated children who are trapped in a statist society. Its a way for players to boost their ego for several hours by acting out fantasies of selfishly and violently dominating strangers. It teaches virtually nothing. It's absolute dribble.

Games can just be fun without teaching anything or being political statements. In fact that's exactly what makes sandbox games fun to me. It's mindless entertainment with no restrictions. Do you also rail against summer action movies and pop music?

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

78. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 17:54 Jerykk

I played a bit of OFP2 at E3 and I wasn't overly impressed. For one, you can't lean. In addition, the game seems far less ambitious than ArmA2. The enviroments were rather barren and I didn't see any vehicles or civilians. The graphics were pretty lousy too. The game did seem more polished than ArmA2 but that doesn't mean much when the fundamental gameplay is lackluster.  

77. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 12:09 Prez

I haven't been keeping up with OpFlash 2 at all, but I am interested to see how it will compare to Arma. It would be awesome if it turned out well; I could have 2 good military sims to bounce between.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

76. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 11:45 CommunistHamster

Honestly, you learn to live with the microsoft sam voices after a while.

I agree, though; Arma3 or Jokers gambit (or whatever the next thing they release will be) needs to improve the voices.

Still, Arma2 speech system is better than arma1

75. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 08:22 Dr. D. Schreber

Someone tell me where the "turn absurd squaddie chatter off" button is, and I'm sold. I really want to be sold on it, so I'm hoping I just missed a checkbox right in front of my face. Everything else is great, the Microsoft Sam voice engine just needs to go. Badly. The actual voice acting, terrible though it is, is at least livable.

It's a crappy game. Can't stand it. The game isn't worth more than $10 imo. It's a violent outlet for very frustrated children who are trapped in a statist society. Its a way for players to boost their ego for several hours by acting out fantasies of selfishly and violently dominating strangers. It teaches virtually nothing. It's absolute dribble.

This is what Prototype has been pitched as, and it's also what it was made to be. Why is this still surprising people, and why was it surprising people at release when the biggest comment the devs ever made was "we're designing a sandbox game to accommodate the way most players act in them," aka, "like assholes."

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2009, 08:28.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

74. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 01:03 Vulkan

There didn't seem to be any way to turn sprint OFF

Double press shift is the walk/run toggle. Most modifier keys work as a toggle if you double press them.

73. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 23:36 CommunistHamster

Having just finished downloaded the demo... wow, I really like it! It's such a huge improvement on Arma 1.  

72. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 20:13 eunichron

Did you ever try to run flat out while holding an assault rifle steady while you aim for precision fire? It is nigh impossible. If you watch video of special forces, the most they do is a fast walk, which allows them a tradeoff of speed, mobility, and accuracy.
That was one thing I hated about player movement in ArmA 2. There didn't seem to be any way to turn sprint OFF. If you've ever tried running in a full combat load (about 90lbs worth of awkward and constricting gear), that alone is nearly impossible... yet this game has you running at a dead sprint everywhere with only a Walk button and no way to toggle run/walk as far as I could see.

Now, if they could combine this game's engine with the original Ghost Recon's gameplay/interface I would've been sold from the get-go... but as it is the control scheme is just clunky and counterintuitive, and some of the minor control issues just make it too much of a hassle for me personally.

71. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 18:50 Prez

But at the same time your coming across like a Derek Smart Battlecruiser (insert name here) fanboi trying to tell people they are wrong for disliking it and inserting 'this is why you SHOULD like it' opinions.

Give it up.

In your hurry to write a smarmy, snotty little diatribe, you apparently missed my point entirely. Good job on misrepresenting what I was saying completely. So you missed the part where I tried to break down simply whether this game may or not be for someone? If you can somehow interpret that to mean I am belittling others that don't like the game, then your reading comprehension is more than a little lacking.

You rather defeated your own point with that quote there.

Kind of ironic, isn't it? Not that the point had any merit to begin with.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 18:54.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 18:34 Muscular Beaver

you can basically tell if this game is for you the first time you stand on a mountain side looking over the landscape where you can see for miles, where forests, plains, villages and cities are all visible. If the knowledge that you can reach any and all of those places and have completely unscripted and unpredictable engagements over and over in all of the makes your inner nerd laugh with such delight that all of the legitimate complaints about control, complexity, stability, and bugs henceforth fall on deaf ears, then this game is for you.
That was exactly the situation I fell in love with this series.
It was in OFP after I climbed up a forested mountain and when I got up there I just stood there with my jaw dropping and falling down the mountain.
But since it was a multiplayer mission, I got shot in the head by a sniper 20 secs later while still gasping at the scenery.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 18:36.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

69. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 18:32 Jerykk

Eh, I enjoyed Prototype. Throwing cars at people (and vice versa) is fun. Or at least, it was fun. The repetition is starting to bore me. ArmA2 and Prototype are total opposites of the spectrum but that doesn't necessarily mean that Prototype has no appeal.

68. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 18:09 Masa

But at the same time your coming across like a Derek Smart Battlecruiser (insert name here) fanboi trying to tell people they are wrong for disliking it and inserting 'this is why you SHOULD like it' opinions.

You rather defeated your own point with that quote there. Too many gamers look at a particular game through a black/white lens they instantly dismiss a it because of something trivial or wholly unrealistic expectations.

Besides, I've never seen anyone here defending DS's games.

67. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 17:49 space captain

this game runs so much better on my system than i thought it would.. ive only got a Pentium D 3ghz, with 2gb ram.. but i do have a 9800GT and it seems to be taking care of business quite well

i need to find out how to turn off the post processing tho, cuz i dont like that shit and i bet it will run even better when its turned off

looks like im ready for purchase here.. i especially like the robot phone operator style radio voices : "one/ENEMY/spotted/FAR" lol

Go forth, and kill!

66. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 17:27 The Half Elf

Is it ok to be more annoyed by the people who are trying to sell other people on the game, then by the game/demo itself?

Prez, some people will dislike/hate the game. There was a reason for the demo. But at the same time your coming across like a Derek Smart Battlecruiser (insert name here) fanboi trying to tell people they are wrong for disliking it and inserting 'this is why you SHOULD like it' opinions.

Give it up.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

65. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 16:30 Prez

And when I'm tired of all the hard thinking and careful thought put into ARMA game time, I can just play TF2 or whatnot. It's not like I can only do one or the other.

Yup. Too many people view gaming in a binary fashion. If it's like this and not like that, it sucks. My moods swing from one extreme to the other. I played Arma Queen's Gambit last weekend until my head hurt, then unwound with TF2 Dustbowl and Pipeline for another couple of hours. I used to play Grand Prix Legends and the Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed right after. On forums, people on both sides (fans of NFS and GPL fans) used to ask me how I could stand the other game. I was like WTF? Why am I allowed only to like one or the other?

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 16:33.

- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 15:54 Rilcon

Well I like it. I have a good group of friends to play with, so I don't have to deal with "the greater community" if I don't want to.

And when I'm tired of all the hard thinking and careful thought put into ARMA gametime, I can just play TF2 or whatnot. It's not like I can only do one or the other.

63. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 15:52 Drayth

Wurd. The love for this game comes from what it IS capable of doing within the limitations of a modern computer game. A few times when the chopper dropped off my fellow marines and I at the LZ the pilot must have noticed the bad guys on the other side of town. Instead of returning to base, he flew across town and the gunner and the rocket pods went to work. That kind of unscripted surprise makes me

And I do hope everyone knows if you free look your head while you run and look down you'll see your gun. You just don't hold it up in front of you when you sprint.

62. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 15:25 Prez

I really don't think it's elitism that separates those who like this game series from those who don't. If that's all it was, then I most likely wouldn't like it. I think it can be boiled down to this: you can basically tell if this game is for you the first time you stand on a mountain side looking over the landscape where you can see for miles, where forests, plains, villages and cities are all visible. If the knowledge that you can reach any and all of those places and have completely unscripted and unpredictable engagements over and over in all of the makes your inner nerd laugh with such delight that all of the legitimate complaints about control, complexity, stability, and bugs henceforth fall on deaf ears, then this game is for you.

This happened to me, and most everyone else I know who loves this series the way I do.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 15:26.

- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 27, 2009, 15:24 LittleMe

lol, not elitist at all. Translation: "I am smarter than everyone else because I play an awkward and bug-filled game. I like it therefore I am 3l33t."

There is a saying.. "The ego in me see's the ego in you." In other words, you are creating your perception of what I said based on your own state of consciousness.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo