Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ARMA II Demo

Though it's not yet reflected on the ARMA II Website, the promised playable demo for the military shooter sequel from Bohemia Interactive Studios is now available. This forum post (thanks I Love Slippery Jim) lists download locations for the demo, and offers a tip to install the latest DirectX 9 Redistributable for those encountering a "Demo failed to launch, X3DAudio1_6.dll was not found" error. Here's word on the demo:

The fictional post-Soviet state of Chernarus provides the location for all the action in ArmA II and gamers will have the opportunity to explore its highland area in the demo version, along with the small Chernarussian island of Utes. More specifically, the ‘boot camp’ missions are all available which act as tutorials for the game’s many disciplines including helicopter flight, unit command and base construction. In addition, the full single player mission ‘Trial By Fire’ from the main campaign and the multiplayer map ‘Mini Warfare’, allowing ArmA fans the chance to trial three multiplayer modes, are included in the demo. A selection of over 20 vehicles, over 25 weapons and various soldier and civilian models will be included, although these represent only a fraction of those available in the retail version.

“Distilling ArmA II’s gameplay into a trial sized package has been a bit of a challenge because there is just so much in there that we want to show off,” commented Mark Allen, European Communications Manager for 505 Games. “In the end we’ve decided to be pretty generous, there are five types of rocket launcher in there for starters!”

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: ARMA II Demo Jul 5, 2009, 03:32 Ant

I finally played this game! Man, this game is too realistic, difficult (reminds me of Project Reality mod for BF2), and cool. I still haven't finished the first tutorial mission on easy difficulty, but I kind of like it even if there is a very steep learning curve! I noticed the tutorial has different trainings: http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8439/tutorialu.jpg ... Can't wait to try parachute. I think I need to hook up my old USB joystick for the chopper training.

Demo has multiplayer too, so I can try that when I am trained well! I noticed players can build bases which was interesting! I don't think I would get the full game due to lack of free time and getting my butt kicked in the first tutorial fight practice!

Oh and I kept getting confused with outside's fireworks with the shootings in the game! LOL!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 28, 2009, 12:41 shponglefan

The 1950's sounding robot for the commander was driving me crazy.

Ditto. At the very least if they are going to try to record each word separately like that, make it a little more seamless.

And it got confusing as hell listening to "front", "left", "right". At least call out North or East or something and give me a compass so I have a better frame of reference.

47. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 26, 2009, 19:33 HIGH_PING

I've got so many graphics problems with this demo. Many textures missing and replaced by an all white texture, constant flickering, the character models as well as their textures keep going back and forth between a high LOD and an extremely low LOD. It is unplayable.  

46. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 26, 2009, 06:40 TSO

Those with performance issues let the devs know here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75537

Thanks.

45. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 22:24 maddog

The 1950's sounding robot for the commander was driving me crazy. Did anyone else have the enemy targets run to the ocean, jump in then try to swim to the island? Bizarre.

MP

44. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 21:36 PHJF

1680x1024

Ah, good old 16:9.75

Wait, what?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

43. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 20:57 Wildone

thats because you have to tap the right mouse button to get the scope *shrugs*

"when I zoomed in with my rifle I wasn't actually using the weapon scope.
"

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 20:57.

42. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 20:28 eunichron

Same here, 11C and 11Z (don't ask, I didn't ask for that position)
No shit? 11C here too. But since it's basically illegal to fire mortars in Iraq now we ended up being 11Bs for 12 months, and I got out in 2007. :]

41. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 20:16 Masa

Well, I'm speaking from experience as an Army infantryman.

Same here, 11C and 11Z (don't ask, I didn't ask for that position). I was on track to start instructing at the jump school at Bragg or Benning (Bragg would've been fucking cool) but well, my health took a shit after Afghan.

We did work with Marines in Iraq though, and even there in 2005,

Never went there myself, but did a deployment in Afghan and Bosnia and parts nearby.

I'm talking primarily about the communications themselves.

My bad

40. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 20:03 tuddies

eunichron, it is obvious that you are a newbie. your gripes are understandable, given the fact that ArmA/OFP is hardcore and like other hardcore games, pack a lot of depth into the keyboard.

Also, after a bit more experience, you can see enemies from a far distance, and with scope or binos, you can spot them even farther away.

39. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 20:02 Surf

"Is it really that hard in the tutorial to have 2 black/african american actors to actually voice over the black/african american npc's in the game?"

Well, they tried programming "Shit mo fo, mo fo shiiiit" and other great Ebonics quotes but then thought people might be turned off.

At least one of the characters has a gold tooth to "Keep it real yo!"

38. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 19:58 Burrito of Peace

I wanted to like this game as I loved OpF. I hadn't heard or read the negative reviews.

I did the training course and it's like a high school garage project next to America's Army's training course.

An example was that I was performing the markmanship test on the rifle range. I plinked the targets several times when it was vertical and didn't receive a score for them. I hit 19 targets and got a 5 score.

I'll pass, thanks.

37. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 19:54 theyarecomingforyou

Terrible. Just terrible. Disgusting voice acting, horrible movement / feel; it's buggy (visual glitches, occasional stuttering) and generally very clumsy all round. And it's not like I'm not able to look past a few bugs as the STALKER games are some of my favourite PC shooters. I guess I'll wait for Operating Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which looks like a much better game judging by the developer walkthrough video.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

36. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 19:36 The Half Elf

Just tried the demo... nice to see they removed the floating dead zone when aiming (last in the series I played was OpFor). Is it really that hard in the tutorial to have 2 black/african american actors to actually voice over the black/african american npc's in the game? Everyone sounds like a 18 year old trying to sound like they are 21 to not get carded buying booze. And the writing.. lord have mercy it's bad.

The demo ran nicely with everything on High at 1680x1024, and was slightly peeved in the tutorial when I zoomed in with my rifle I wasn't actually using the weapon scope.

*shrugs* It could be a good game, but honestly I still have a bad taste in my mouth from their first game, and from the demo I really don't feel like taking another shot at it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 19:08 eunichron

Nah, the Marines don't typically operate in brigade-sized elements except for expeditionary missions. Even then, this kind of mission would be about perfect for a battalion-sized element with several detached companies assigned individual missions.
Well, I'm speaking from experience as an Army infantryman. We did work with Marines in Iraq though, and even there in 2005, well after the initial invasion, the Marines didn't move anywhere with anything less than a platoon sized element.
Yeah, it's that fast if you're in training and have the perfect environment for communications (IE, general line of sight, low terrain features, etc). After it's called in, it could be another minute before it gets relayed to the artillery officer and coordinates adjusted. It's fast, but hardly instantaneous.
Indeed, going from the initial call for fire to the time actual rounds are impacting can take minutes, but I'm talking primarily about the communications themselves. Having to deal with multi-layered menus and clunky controls is ridiculous, and just screams that Bohemia was merely trying to add arbitrary difficulty to the comm system just to make it "feel" realistic. If they could streamline the comm system somehow it would greatly improve the gameplay, at least IMO.

Obviously it's Bohemia's game, and just a game... I'm just sick of companies adding unnecessary complexity to shooters and the general public eating it up as a "sim".

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 19:11.

34. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 18:57 Ecthelion

Is anyone else having trouble with some of the textures not loading? Even on the highest settings the game doesn't look like the screenshots.  

33. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 18:43 Masa

- Taking on a village with only a single squad of marines.

Heh, Marines are known for their valor, I suppose, but even this stretches a bit beyond their means

The size of that village would have made it a company level operation at the very least... hell, given the scope of the entire mission it probably would have been a brigade level operation in total.

Nah, the Marines don't typically operate in brigade-sized elements except for expeditionary missions. Even then, this kind of mission would be about perfect for a battalion-sized element with several detached companies assigned individual missions.

Obviously there are limitations within the engine, but the engine has been proven to be able to handle up to 1000-1500 AI units before, which would quite easily accommodate a typical infantry brigade.

That would be cool. Especially if you could participate in the same operation as different kinds of soldiers (infantry, special forces, tanker, etc).

- Communication sucks balls. Real world communication is instantaneous. It takes about 10 seconds to call for fire support in a real situation.

Yeah, it's that fast if you're in training and have the perfect environment for communications (IE, general line of sight, low terrain features, etc). After it's called in, it could be another minute before it gets relayed to the artillery officer and coordinates adjusted. It's fast, but hardly instantaneous.

Also going back to what I said about the robotic voice acting... And nobody calls out "Enemy... Man... Far... Front..." it's "Contact left" "Contact right" "Contact 8 o'clock/4 o'clock" etc. Seriously, get some real voice actors and script writers to make it sound believable.

Alright...making the player memorize hand/arm signals would probably not be the best idea. I didn't think the robotic voices were that big a deal, certainly not enough to be a detractor, but you're right, that kind of information wouldn't be called over the network between squad members.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 18:51.

32. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 16:14 dagger

When it comes to graphics and sound I don't really care that much.

The controls, interface, and the game play are what I key in on. I also tend to uninstall games/applications after only one or two crashes and never touch them again.

Hopefully this game is ready for prime time....

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 16:19.

31. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 15:55 eunichron

After playing through some of the missions and spending more time with the game here are some of the things that really get my goat:

- Taking on a village with only a single squad of marines. The size of that village would have made it a company level operation at the very least... hell, given the scope of the entire mission it probably would have been a brigade level operation in total. Obviously there are limitations within the engine, but the engine has been proven to be able to handle up to 1000-1500 AI units before, which would quite easily accommodate a typical infantry brigade.

- Communication sucks balls. Real world communication is instantaneous. It takes about 10 seconds to call for fire support in a real situation. The interface should be streamlined to reflect this, instead of having 5 different menus with 7 different hotkeys for simple communication. On that note, squad communication is never done over a radio, for the simple fact that your squad is generally never split up (back to the retarded AI). Also going back to what I said about the robotic voice acting... And nobody calls out "Enemy... Man... Far... Front..." it's "Contact left" "Contact right" "Contact 8 o'clock/4 o'clock" etc. Seriously, get some real voice actors and script writers to make it sound believable.

- Visibility. A person's silhouette is generally easily visible up to 250-300m. Within the game units were nearly undetectable at 150m. Forget about trying to hit anything at 200m+.

- AI. Squad AI was just downright fucktarded. Rushing into the village, alone, standing in the middle of the street, pointing in all different directions. One of my squad members was hit and disabled about every 10 seconds. I'd give them some first aid, they'd get up and get hit again. It wasn't until I cleared the village and surrounding area myself until they actually survived longer than a minute.

I realize these are pretty minor things and would obviously have limitations with development time/resource constraints and whatever... but to bill this as a "sim" while it's really just a shoddy shooter with a counterintuitive interface. Making it overly complex doesn't make it a sim. It's the little things that make it a simulation.

Other than that the game looked and ran fine for me. I didn't crash, I had it on "Normal" settings and got decent FPS (my machine isn't a beast but it's not 'old' either). The motion blur was a bit overdone.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2009, 17:16.

30. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 15:33 Techie714 ©

This thread is going south...quickly...

BTW: This game ROCKS!!!!111

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >