Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Patches

New patches are now available for Fallout 3, updating the various language editions of the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel to version 1.6. The English patches can be found on the Official Fallout Website, where they also have links to the French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Austrian pages with localized patches. The update notes indicate that the new version adds new achievements for the new Broken Steel DLC. Some or all of the various downloads are mirrored on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, Gamer's Hell, and The Patches Scrolls.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 30, 2009, 08:42 Verno

If you found the game boring there is no mod that will make it suddenly fun and you don't sound like you really want to enjoy it anyways.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 28, 2009, 08:34 eggsborks

People still play this?
I didn't think it was that good.I did a main story/side mission/exploration play through and have never played it since.Are there some really really cool mods out that make the game less boring or something?

47. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 17:44 Creston

I've read that this patch plays nice with mods. That's music to my ears. Now if I could just get it for digital distribution.

Edit : I see more reports on the forum that 1.6 fixes the idiotic mod bugs introduced in 1.5, though Bethesda, for some reason, doesn't put it in their changelog. So, who knows... Masterupdate still works like a champ, but obviously if you don't need it, you don't need it, plus MU doesn't fix all the navmesh issues.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2009, 17:57.

46. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 17:43 Creston

You guys do realise that agpc is a troll just fucking with you right???

He'll go on the greasemonkey list soon enough, yeah.

Creston

45. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 17:41 Creston

Nope. The hafnium bomb was reportedly pursued by DARPA but the physics proved unsound (so far). The first and biggest thrust into the research occurred in 1998 by a civilian panel of nuclear physicists and other groups have had trouble replicating their results. The last nuclear detonation performed by the United States was in 1992, so there was no testing of a physical hafnium bomb, even if one could be made.

Okay, I worded that wrong. From what I said it sounds like I said they had working copies and where testing them. I should have used the word researched.

My bad.

Creston

44. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 12:04 Jerykk

Yeah 50 hours later. those scammers!

I didn't say their games were lacking in content. There's always plenty to keep you busy for a while. However, it's more a case of quantity than quality. That said, I do think FO3 is a big improvement over Oblivion and that Bethesda is headed in the right direction. Now they just need to hire some balance designers because they really can't seem to balance their games at all.

43. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 09:04 Verno

Truth. Bethesda has always been good at making big, detailed worlds to explore. Once you're done exploring though, the games get pretty boring.

Yeah 50 hours later. those scammers!

42. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 07:05 Prez

There's a reason the label by his name shows "Suspect" when you mouse over it.

I've read that this patch plays nice with mods. That's music to my ears. Now if I could just get it for digital distribution.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 04:02 InBlack

You guys do realise that agpc is a troll just fucking with you right???  

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 03:40 PHJF

Tactical infantry-deployed nuclear weapons will only prove useful when we invade the homeworlds of those alien species foolish enough to catapult asteroids at South America.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 02:33 Masa

Though the US army actually did tests on grenade sized nukes...

Nope. The hafnium bomb was reportedly pursued by DARPA but the physics proved unsound (so far). The first and biggest thrust into the research occurred in 1998 by a civilian panel of nuclear physicists and other groups have had trouble replicating their results. The last nuclear detonation performed by the United States was in 1992, so there was no testing of a physical hafnium bomb, even if one could be made.

The smallest nuclear device the US Army made deployable for ground soldiers was the "Davy Crockett" recoilless rifle; it was said to be very inaccurate and too low of a blast yield to be suitable for much beyond terrain denial.

They figured they could use them with a launcher to take out a tank batallion.

That was among the initial intents with the Davy Crocket recoilless rifle, but that had been developed, tested, deployed, and decommissioned literally decades before the theories behind hafnium bombs were solidified. The Crockett could potentially work well against parked targets and bases, but moving tank formations? Even when it could produce a lethal dosage within 500 feet of detonation, the tank crews are still shielded inside the tank (they're not impervious to the radiation, but they wouldn't necessarily instantly succumb). Again, as area denial weapon, nuclear artillery would be great, but really self-defeating.

And for the life of me, I can't understand the point of nuclear hand grenades; even as an RPG. You couldn't throw them because the blast and resulting radiation would be as dangerous to the enemy as it would be to the soldiers throwing them. As an RPG, the soldier would be worse off because those are line-of-site weapons. At least with a grenade you can throw them from behind cover.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2009, 02:38.

38. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 01:25 Creston

Waging this argument on a game which equips the player with a nuclear rocket launcher?

Admittedly a good point.

Though the US army actually did tests on grenade sized nukes... Fucking scary, I know. They figured they could use them with a launcher to take out a tank batallion.

I'd rather fire a portable nuke from a nuke launcher then face a one megaton blast from 10 miles out.

Creston

37. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 01:23 Jerykk

Play it for the exploration of an immersive and exciting world.

Truth. Bethesda has always been good at making big, detailed worlds to explore. Once you're done exploring though, the games get pretty boring.

Even if there was an option to turn the nuke guy in, I did not pursue it because at that point I found the story up to that point to be contrived and not entertaining or fun at all.

I'm sorry but you can't really judge an RPG after about an hour's worth of play, particularly not the story. Now I'm not saying that FO3 comes even close to its predecessors (or any classic CRPG for that matter) but my opinion is based on 80+ hours of playtime.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2009, 01:30.

36. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 01:23 Creston

Creston, I find your internet rage amusing. Other than that, your opinion is meaningless to me.

Good, buddy, I'm glad. Now keep bleating on and on and on and on and on and on and on how fucking edgy you were for quitting a game after five fucking minutes.

You're a true gamer hero. Make sure to post more about how lame Fallout3 is, okay, because really, it's what everyone is dying to hear. You're making a true name for yourself here, champ.

Edit : Mass Effect - now that is a great game with an interesting yet original storyline.

Okay, I love Mass Effect myself, so I'll agree with you on that. The storyline is hardly original, though...

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2009, 01:29.

35. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 24, 2009, 00:09 Masa

Man, that explosion is really amazing.

Call me pathetic, but I gave that moment in Tenpenny tower its own save slot.

...I LOVED Mass Effect. Probably because I had very low expectations going in, and it turned out very well.

My friend compared it to Dan Simmons' Hyperion and while it wasn't anywhere close, I still enjoyed it. I've played far worse games claiming to be in the RPG genre.

I quit that shit when I saw my brother Paul, he was so boring and lifeless....almost like a robot or something.

I actually did...the first time through I left Paul's ass behind then felt kind of bad about it afterward. I stopped playing it for a week deciding if I should start over. Didn't matter, as many times I've played that game I think I've covered just about every "moral choice" available.

Though every time I see it, I'm king of thinking "Ehm, you know, Tenpenny Tower is only like ten, fifteen miles away or so, it's the highest building in the area, and that's a MEGATON NUKE that's going off."

The United States Capitol building still even existing in any form kind of blew me away. But...again, it's the Fallout universe and what's the point of setting it in DC if you can't have that %:

34. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 23:27 Prez

Call me crazy, but I LOVED Mass Effect. Probably because I had very low expectations going in, and it turned out very well. No, the story wasn't all that original, but it had the nice touches to make it feel grand and epic nonetheless.

As far as Fallout 3, the story has got to be the weakest part. Play it for the exploration of an immersive and exciting world.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 19:59 Silicon Avatar

Early reports from the forums indicate that the "weapon on wrong side of hand" bug and "1.5 broke my mods" bugs have been fixed. People who were using fakepatch and staying with old versions might want to investigate this patch more - or at least read the forums over the next few days to see if the initial reports are confirmed.

As far as that guy's comments go, the NPCs in Fallout don't all have that much to say and yeah, some of the interaction is contrived, and no - the writing is not all awesome. Some of it is pretty good though, and the skeletal vignettes are really solid - but you'd have to play more than a few hours to discover that. It is a sandbox game, so maybe that is not his thing. There is a reason the game got good reviews though.

Mass Effect was pretty good too, but I thought it was a bit overrated. The planet exploration sequences were pretty bare and at times I felt like I was on a rail. I thought KOTOR was a stronger game than Mass Effect.

32. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 19:40 PHJF

Mass Effect - now that is a great game with an interesting yet original storyline.

Bahahahahahahahaha!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 19:12 Verno

You experienced 15 minutes of the game and decided all of the characters(all what, 8 you met?) were lifeless and boring? Yeah you're really qualified to comment on the game Rolleyes

Man guys, Deus Ex really sucked!!! So lifeless and boring. I didn't see any WoW quest arrows over anyone's head so I didn't know where to find quests! So much for open world choice based gameplay lolllll! I quit that shit when I saw my brother Paul, he was so boring and lifeless....almost like a robot or something.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2009, 19:16.

30. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 19:12 Beamer

So you stopped playing 10 minutes into a game with about 25-50 hours of play time because the characters were lifeless and boring.

Right.

I turned off The Godfather after the opening credits for the same reason. Good riddance!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo