Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army 3 Patch Plans

The America's Army Website says many of the problems with the America's Army launch were the result of network capacity limitations, but that there are other issues, saying: "The America's Army Team is working to resolve the problems and to bring you a solution as quickly as possible." They outline plans for a patch for the just-released military shooter "that addresses some of these issues so that you can enjoy the game over the weekend." This update will come automatically from Steam, and going forward they say: "We are dedicated to providing continuous improvements throughout the life of the game." On a semi-related note, Voodoo Extreme immortalizes a now-deleted forum post by one of the laid off America's Army developers, who describes the effort put into the game fighting what sound like impossible circumstances, saying: "I hoped to let the fans know that we tried as hard as we could and are very bummed to see the fruits of our labor shoved at gamers like a heaping pile of crap."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 20, 2009, 15:27 Paranoid Jack

M$ or TimeWarner? Still just warm...

Hint 2: Think Logo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 23:44 The Half Elf

Microsoft or Time Warner?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 17:58 Belzabub

And to think Overon and kxmode downloaded this game.

LOL

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 18:02.

16. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 17:20 ColoradoHoudini

" I have never seen a game launch with so many issues than this one."

I remember the game "Devastation" .. which was supposed to be the Counterstrike killer for MP FPS..
the launch was the worst thing I have ever seen.. and the game was fucking terrible (minus the robot rat bomb)

15. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 16:43 Paranoid Jack

EA or Activision/Blizzard? Cold...

Comcast? Warmer...

Hint: Think Death Star.

14. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 16:33 space captain

or something like Comcast  
Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Relax Jun 19, 2009, 16:28 The Half Elf

Heh Paranoid Jack, which Evil Empire is that, EA or Activision/Blizzard?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Relax Jun 19, 2009, 15:10 Paranoid Jack

Thanks, for the info LMN8R. Sadly, that sounds like my job. LoL, I work for the Evil Empire. At times I've wondered if this large corporation was the only place with retarded management spreading misinformation and then blaming the employees when things go badly.

Either way the game is still FREE, right? If so, everyone should just take a chill pill.

11. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 15:06 Jackplug

too late ive already deleted it, what a piece of utter shite..
I will not be reinstalling this even thought it is a FREEBIE!!

As for the patch, what they gonna start with, a complete redo??

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 15:06.

10. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 14:39 MMORPGHoD

Is this some crazy way of pacing us so we don't finish to soon and find out the multiplayer doesn't work at all?

That reminds me of the original AA. When I played that there were similar issues where you wouldn't be able to send your qualifying stats to their server and get promoted to the next training level. When new schools of training first came out I remember getting through early and playing multilayer maps where there were only a handful of us, because the rest of the masses were all still stuck trying to qualify AND get through to send their stats.

9. Re: Relax Jun 19, 2009, 14:30 elefunk

Post from one of the devs:
I worked as a Dev at AA Emeryville for the last year and a half and I hope I can appeal to your rationality and common sense. I would like you to imagine trying to build a game with an impossible deadline, steadily declining workforce (via firings), A hiring freeze, constantly being fed misinformation, having the "higher ups" completely ignore your weekly plea for either A) more time, or B) more manpower, working a ton of unpaid overtime, pouring your heart and soul into a misadventure only to have the uniformed community scoff at you for uncontrollable variables..... RIGHT when you've just lost your job.

There are problems with the release beyond the devs control. In fact, the bureaucracy is so convoluted that you can't even begin to imagine the breadth and scope of B.S. the devs had to deal with daily. in short, imagine being the subcontractor of a subcontractor of a contractor to the government. Sure Millions of dollars may have been poured into this project, but how much do you think made it to the actual DEV team, the people MAKING the game, after it was filtered by the bureaucracy?

I realize if you are a gamer, you rightly expect a game to work. period. But I would ask that you imagine for a second that you actually DON'T understand what it takes to make this particular game, and you really don't understand the many obstacles that were placed in front of the Devs... in nerdy terms: A Kobiyashi maru.

What I would like you to understand is that the Devs did everything they could, worked a TON of unpaid overtime, put their time and passion into an un-winnable situation, and were effectively stabbed in the back. Many of these guys are my close friends, they have family to take care of, and overpriced rent to deal with. They just came off busting their butts for months, to be let go, without warning. Perhaps a little empathy is in order here.

Almost every multiplayer online game has problems upon release. These problems become exaggerated when a development team is kept in constant turmoil and paranoia via misinformation and a high rate of employee turnover. When the people you trust around you are being let go, it becomes difficult to emotionally invest yourself in the titanic sinking ship. Nonetheless, I can tell you the Devs STILL pushed themselves as hard as they could.

Furthermore, the problem with the game at this point, has everything to do with the authentication servers being slammed, A.K.A not a controllable variable by the Devs. Sure there are bugs, they WERE being fixed, and now you'll be lucky to see any fixes in the near future.

For those of you who think Redstone arsenal will do a better job, well.... I won't have to tell you that you're sadly mistaken because you'll see for yourself.

I'm not sure why i've felt compelled to write this when I'm sure it will get deleted, or even scoffed at further, but I hoped to let the fans know that we tried as hard as we could and are very bummed to see the fruits of our labor shoved at gamers like a heaping pile of crap.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 14:31.

8. Re: Relax Jun 19, 2009, 13:50 Techie714

I think after about a week at least 25-30% of these people will just up & leave once they realize this game is pretty damn hardcore. It's not your basic shooter it's quite complex & very in depth. This game appeals to the ARMA & OFP crowd.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 13:14 space captain

I'm guessing it's more of a server volume issue or something.

seems like an obvious issue that the devs would foresee - the game is tracking a ridiculous number of online stats per person.. then you get about 100k people on there and it explodes

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 11:50 Kedyn

I haven't played AA3 since it released publicly, but, in beta, everything ran fine. All of the problems people are complaining about weren't there. I'm guessing it's more of a server volume issue or something.

Honestly though, there were probably only about 100 beta testers. In the "busy" evenings, there were, at most, maybe 50 on.

5. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 11:45 Wildone

You mean the team you just fired? Classy.

"The America's Army Team is working to resolve the problems"

4. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 11:30 The Half Elf

Personally I wouldn't call the overload of the Auth Servers as detrimental as you would state it is Techie714@. Hell even Blizzard's expected Launch Day numbers for WoW were vastly under what they actually ended up with, including half the servers being down for 7 to 10 days.

Personally all I have experienced so far is having to wait a day for each of my training parts to actually register on the servers, but other then that haven't had much in the way of bugs.

And have you REALLY played for 20 years and never played a game 'this bug ridden'? Come on now... fess up

3. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 11:00 Agent.X7

I haven't even made it past training. Weapons Familiarization lets me finish, and then tells me I failed all three sections, even though M203 and 'nades were all hit, and M249 was 76%.

The night before, I passed basic rifleman with 100%, and earned the badge and bar. It didn't show up until the next night.

Is this some crazy way of pacing us so we don't finish to soon and find out the multiplayer doesn't work at all?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

2. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 10:41 Faceman

What a balls up. I bet they're feeling like dickheads now for firing the dev team too early. Hahaha  

1. Re: America's Army 3 Patch Plans Jun 19, 2009, 09:54 Techie714

I have never seen a game launch with so many issues than this one. I have been PC gaming for over 20 years & you do see some titles with bugs here & their but rarely as "game stopper" like this game has. I still cant even play the game. Login servers are constantly down, & when you do get in your character is not showing up, & if you get to the training screen the game then just freezes & locks up. I'm no developer but I would say this game needs another 2-3 months of work.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo