Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army 3 Released

The America's Army Website announces the release on Steam of America's Army 3, the third iteration of this freeware military shooter designed by the U.S. Army, which launches along with the promised America's Army online graphic novel. Here's a bit from the game launch announcement:

In America's Army 3, Every Detail CountsTM and as a result, the game has more authentic military elements including training, technology, weapons, and audio than any other military game. Built on Unreal Engine 3, AA3 delivers stunningly realistic environments, lighting effects, animations, and team-based experiences so that America's Army players can experience how Soldiers train, live, and advance in the Army. Players are bound by Rules of Engagement (ROE) and gain experience as they navigate challenges in team-based, multiplayer, force-on-force operations. In the game, a player's actions and demonstrated Army values are integral to successful mission accomplishment and affect a player's career progression.

The game is launching with five different environments, each with three different mission scenario options for a total of 15 different map/mission combinations. Initially, the core of the gameplay focuses on an Infantry Soldier (11B). Players first complete Basic Combat Training and then progress to Advanced Individual Training for a variety of specialized roles that the Infantry Soldier performs, such as Advanced Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman, Squad Designated Marksman, and Grenadier. This advanced training allows players to unlock new abilities and gear, customize their gear and equipment loads, increase their in-game skill level, and progress in their Army careers.

View
126 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

126. Re: America's Army 3 Out Jun 24, 2009, 09:13 Verno

Way to confirm having absolutely no sense of humor.

That's hilarious coming from you.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

125. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 22, 2009, 06:09 Masa

Way to confirm being an ultimate fanboy and defending Valve with all your little might while being completely wrong and proven wrong post after post.

Considering Valve and Steam are among the best PC gaming has to offer, can't blame him.

There are others...but that number sure is small.

124. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 19, 2009, 00:28 Krovven

Way to confirm having absolutely no sense of humor.  

123. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 20:02 RollinThundr

Steam is some god-send to gaming
Correction...PC Gaming

Way to confirm being an ultimate fanboy and defending Valve with all your little might while being completely wrong and proven wrong post after post. How anyone can call a DRM ladden program a god send is beyond me.

122. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 19:29 Kosumo

LittleMe - ....It's called sloppy programming to have the ....

Sloppy programming? Form the same people who bring you 'friendly fire'? Never!

121. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 19:21 Kosumo

Hurray for sufficient capacity on Steam at 3 a.m. EST in the morning!

Now I just need to go wake everyone else who had problems today to tell them. They can download and play the game on Steam so long as they do so when hardly anyone else is.

Although you are being sarcastic, what I'm taking from what you are putting forward here is that - when I have a ticket to get on a plane, I want to be able to get stright on that plane right away, even if everyone else who wants to get on the plane wants to at the same time, and they all have tickets so the air line should have enought people at the geates so that everyone can have their ticket taken at the same time and all walk onto the plane (throw the new door that can take everyone at once) when they choose, all be it that it at the moment that the gates opens?

(yes, I've missed this (the thread) while I was traveling)

120. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 18:22 Beamer

Because it tends to be a fair assumption.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

119. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 17:57 Belzabub

And to the 37 year old, note how I mentioned that there are exceptions here, and you're clearly one of them, but that doesn't mean it isn't true for the board as a whole.

And you know this because....

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 17:58.

118. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 16:56 Krovven

then try to insult me in the process. My

You should have thought about your delicate sensibilities before insulting me, which I did not do in any of my previous posts.

Steam is some god-send to gaming

Correction...PC Gaming.

117. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 16:37 DarkCntry

Yea, good job...run away in defeat and then try to insult me in the process. My job tenure there was not developing the game, I worked as an AACM that oversaw the IRC networks and volunteer staff, so I didn't contribute to anything there. I was, however, a beta tester on the original project for over 4 years, so in a sense I did contribute there...suffice to say, I still know everyone personally on the project and have spoken to a few of them on this regard, so take that as you will my friend, I'm sure you'll have some way to distort it to make it seem like Valve is all rosy and good.

That said...the only one who has issues here with comprehension is you, Dagok, as we are all looking at things from a majority perspective and seeing that that majority is having issues with Steam's content delivery service. You, on the other hand, seem to have this notion that Steam is some god-send to gaming and that nothing they do is every bad...we like to call those types of people clueless fanboys.

116. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 16:27 Krovven

Say what you like. I'll go by what current AA3 employees have to say on the topic, not you.

I'm not going to continue to repeat the same things over and over trying to make the comprehension challenged understand, or acknowledge the fact that the problems are not just with Steam, nor is it that big of an issue that it needs to be blown so out of proportion by the whiners, which is exactly what is happening.

Who really cares how fast you download it, when most people can't fucking play the buggy piece of shit (congrats on contributing to that by the way), once they do download it.

115. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:57 DarkCntry

You're pretty dense aren't you? Just because you have a lack of comprehension skills doesn't mean you are correct in your assessment here...

Suffice to say everyone here knows who's right and who's wrong and honestly, they've already stated that fact. I've also stated that I've worked with this project as an employee so I have knowledge backing me up here and you only have linking and reading comprehension problems backing up your claims.

Again, let's make this abundantly clear Dagok...

People who download from Steam, either directly or via pre-load, do so through Steam's servers. There's no intermediary between that and the user (in this case what you're trying to state) that goes through anything that America's Army hosts, it is strictly a Valve job. When a player downloads, installs, and then runs the game they are presented with the log in screen, which leads to the Auth servers and where the majority of folks are having their issues. At this point, it's out of Valve's hands and in AA's hands. All fine and dandy, the problem is, almost everyone who has downloaded via Steam has run into download speed issues, congestion issues, delays, etc, which as I already pointed out is a sole issue of Valve via Steam.

As for your reasonable time, I'm sure I don't have to point out the free weekends they generally run and the madhouse it creates...and then the 'reasonable time' that somehow takes up almost the entire free weekend to get straightened out.

But again, I like how you backpeddle now in saying that you didn't say anything about AA's auth servers having to do with downloading...
I NEVER SAID PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DOWNLOAD. LEARN TO READ.

I also said that the Steam servers for downloading were not being overloaded (bandwidth-wise) but that it was probably getting too many user requests at once...which i was also correct in, and many people once connected were downloading at very fast speeds.

when not even two sentences up...
Like I just said...the ordering of this phrase (bolded) to me determines the order in which the problem is occurring
This shows that you believe it has to do with AA's issues for the download...which again, is Pragmatic Solutions and again, has nothing to do with downloading.

But anyways, take your odd view of things and run with it if you so desire, you're really not doing much at making yourself out to be all that informed.

114. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:48 Krovven

meant to Edit...

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 15:48.

113. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:45 Krovven

Please Dagok, find me an AACM telling you that it's the Auth servers controlling the downloads from Steam...

I already quoted it in this thread if you read back...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898866

As we counted down to this release at 3PM today, none of us could have imagined the incredible number of players who would try to download and install this game at the same time. Due to this massive number of simultaneous connections, we're having some trouble keeping up with the demand.

This is also placing a tremendous load on our Authentication Servers, which may temporarily be causing some gameplay performance issues.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that absolutely everyone here at the Army Game Project, and our Partners, are working to resolve this problem, and you should see an increase in both accessibility and gameplay performance very soon. Once the load balances out a bit, both these elements will improve dramatically.

We are grateful for the overwhelming interest shown for America's Army 3, and we appreciate your patience. All issues will be resolved as soon as possible.

If you have issues or concerns, please email our Community Managers at aacm@americasarmy.com.

Thanks.

3 posts down...

No, the game is live, it's just that we're being slammed by a massive numbers of connections. The load will balance out shortly, and you'll be able to connect to our Network and download the game quickly through Steam.

Like I just said...the ordering of this phrase (bolded) to me determines the order in which the problem is occurring.

THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD VIA STEAM IS HANDLED BY VALVE AND NOT BY PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS.

I NEVER SAID PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DOWNLOAD. LEARN TO READ.

I also said that the Steam servers for downloading were not being overloaded (bandwidth-wise) but that it was probably getting too many user requests at once...which i was also correct in, and many people once connected were downloading at very fast speeds. I also stated that pretty much any system that is getting hammered by concurrent user requests is going to give errors. It happens. Whining and bitching about it when it will sort itself out given a bit of time, is childish.

which is what everyone here is discussing in regards to Valve's fuck-up.

Which again...I never said that Steam was not having any problems...I said...

That does suck, and while definitely frustrating, it's hardly worth complaining about. Regardless, it's a free game. Whenever this has happened on Steam, it gets sorted out in a reasonable amount of time.

See, I said it sucks, I said it's frustrating...I even alluded that is HAS happened on Steam before...but it will get sorted out in a reasonable amount of time...which it has. People seriously need to learn reading comprehension and stop blowing things out of proportion.

Adam Sessler has it right..."gamers are a nation of whiners".

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 15:56.

112. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:37 DarkCntry

Please Dagok, find me an AACM telling you that it's the Auth servers controlling the downloads from Steam...

THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD VIA STEAM IS HANDLED BY VALVE AND NOT BY PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS.

There, is that clear enough for you? You have been continually placing blame off of Valve for this piss-poor handling of a pre-load and download, which is incorrect. You then try to back this up with some twisting of what either Phoenix or Chalktroop have stated in regards to the Auth server issues when that has absolutely nothing to do with the downloading aspect. Big Download's client itself is no different than Steam's other than the fact that the Deploy Client will update itself and the Steam uses Steam. Again, that's UPDATE, not download the original client...which is what everyone here is discussing in regards to Valve's fuck-up.

111. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:29 Krovven

DarkCntry, you basically confirmed what I was saying (regarding Authentication not having anything to do with Steam)...so not sure if you were actually trying to correct me.

The post by the AA3 employee, states that the Authentication is taking place first (and of course I assume later to log in), then allowing the user to download from Steam. If that check fails, the user cannot get the download going. That is what I got from what was said by the AA3 employee. If that is incorrect, then they should have said 'connect to Steam to download and then connect to our Network to authenticate'. The ordering of the phrasing makes a huge difference in understanding the problems. Being a former employee, is it not possible they put in an authentication check from Steam to the AA3 servers to confirm the download, since you worked there?

Going to the original argument...I never said there wasnt a problem with getting the files from Steam. Which seems to be the misunderstanding here. This misunderstanding was only fueled and twisted by those with blind hate for Valve and looking to manipulate any and all things to blame Valve & Steam for every little problem, even when it has nothing to do with Steam (Authentication).

I just don't think it's such a large issue for a free game on a free service, that people shouldn't calm down a bit and give it a chance to sort itself out, which is exactly what it has done. There will be some residual problems, but it's no longer a major issue for the majority of people.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 15:36.

110. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:10 DarkCntry

Uh, my good man Dagok, I used to be employed by the America's Army team, so trust me when I say I know what the hell I'm talking about when it details the authentication servers.

The Auth servers regard anything to the player's account IN-GAME only, it has absolutely nothing to do with downloading the program from Steam. The Deploy Client, from the other download source, is the only one that is tied to a similar system to the Auth servers, however it still doesn't impact the download of the actual client. The Server master list is hosted by the same company that hosts the Auth servers (Pragmatic Solutions) and it's also non-functional and holding people back from even obtaining most server lists.

Steam's download is wholly controlled by Valve's infrastructure and has absolutely nothing to do with Pragmatic Solutions systems until the file is downloaded, installed, and ran. The Auth servers, again, only control player accounts and has absolutely nothing to do with downloading the program.

So please, shut up with shit you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Edit- Also, the difference between the client from Steam and the Deploy Client (the Big Download one) is that the Deploy Client updates itself, where-as the Steam version is updated via Steam.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 15:12.

109. Re: America's Army 3 Out Jun 18, 2009, 14:50 Krovven

Holy christ GT you are so obtuse and narrow minded in your hate for Valve.

What did I say in my post? I posted 1 solution to the Steam download problem, and provided a link to another...two very simple fixes so he doesnt have to download several gigs all over again. Nowhere did I say that it wasn't a Steam issue. The rest of that link for troubleshooting with AA3 (if he needed it) is all problems with the shitty UT3 engine and incompetent programming and testing, which has nothing to do with Steam.

108. Re: America's Army 3 Out Jun 18, 2009, 14:23 GT

You can try

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/americas-army-3/pc/americas-army-3-deploy-client/

at the same time if you wish. It won't conflict with the Steam installation of the game. The files are hosted by AOL not Steam so it might turn out to be faster.

107. Re: America's Army 3 Out Jun 18, 2009, 14:19 BeefJerky

Ah that's a shame. This only serves to reinforce my negative opinion of Steam.

Many thanks for the replies, at least I know it's not just me!

126 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo