Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarForce Revival Q&A

Interview- The Return Of... StarForce? on Gamasutra is an interview with Dmitry Guseff, Deputy Marketing Director at StarForce Technologies, about how their copy protection technology has evolved following consumer backlash over its intrusive behavior. While still defensive over the behavior of the old StarForce, Dmitry also admits that: "during several years we were constantly improving the protection reliability level to suit corporate clients’ needs as much as possible, but the end user was partly forgotten." He describes how they then created a division specifically to serve the needs of the end-user, and how StarForce has changed to remove direct hardware access and other features that caused problems to offer the user the choice of disc-based or activation-based protection. Here is his outlook on whether the new approach will help rebuild the company's reputation:

I think that new products, excellent customer service, and the right combination between publisher and customer needs will help. We have seriously worked on our errors and offered new solutions. Now we need to receive more feedback to be able to say something specific and continue with improvements. But based on our Russian and Eastern European experiences, both publishers and customers are very delighted with our new steps.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: starforce Jun 19, 2009, 04:50 zirik

the king of russia is back baby. I for one welcome our new old drm overlords.

they never left. most recent game to use starforce was that helicopter sim from eagle dynamics. go check out their support forums to see how little things have changed for starforce.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 18, 2009, 06:54 Shadowcat

DRM dead? Hardly. And as the market shifts more and more to online digital distribution, it's only getting worse.  

23. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 17, 2009, 15:33 Dev

Cutter:

DRM is far from over unfortunately as much as I wish it was. There's a few limited examples of companies or games coming out without it, and sometimes the publishers use those as examples of why they need it. For instance the Prince of Persia game didn't have any copy protection or DRM.

Now I'll agree that there's a movement to get rid of some DRM, but it needs to be a lot further along before I'd agree with the statement of DRM being over.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2009, 15:34.

22. Re: starforce Jun 17, 2009, 10:03 InBlack

I hope these worms (Starforce Tech) die a horrible death and burn in hell forever.

Ok thats taking it a bit far. But still. These guys are like the "Lawyers" of the gaming industry.

Everyone hates them and they make your life miserable.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: starforce Jun 17, 2009, 07:01 Prez

YAY STARFORCE!!!! Wall  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. starforce Jun 17, 2009, 06:10 vermin

the king of russia is back baby. I for one welcome our new old drm overlords.  

19. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 17, 2009, 05:41 Zzet

DRM doesn't work against anyone able to use Google.

It's that simple.

18. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 17, 2009, 03:14 Lord Tea

Take a deep whiff, lads...that's the smell of desperation. DRM is over. The publishers are finally waking up to the fact that DRM has always been a waste of money. How many millions have they blown on this BS? It doesn't stop pirates, and it pisses paying customers off. 'Nuff said. This is you Starforce..."Uh, wait!". This is us..."Buh-bye."

exactly my thoughts. Looks like they're running out of cash, that's why they have to give those "interviews". As if any one cares.

UPSA = United Police States of America

17. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 17, 2009, 00:24 Cutter

Take a deep whiff, lads...that's the smell of desperation. DRM is over. The publishers are finally waking up to the fact that DRM has always been a waste of money. How many millions have they blown on this BS? It doesn't stop pirates, and it pisses paying customers off. 'Nuff said. This is you Starforce..."Uh, wait!". This is us..."Buh-bye."

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 23:49 Caveman

good job starforce, encouraging more PC gamers to pirate their fucking games.

PC gaming is a fucking mess right now...

15. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 23:48 Tranceport

Turning computers into bricks is one of my favorite hobbies. More starforce please..  

14. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 23:34 Creston

Feedback? You want feedback? How about this : You fuckers at Starforce at the worst fucking shit that ever happened to the PC gaming market.

Take your 'excellent customer service' and die in a fucking fire.

Creston

13. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 23:33 Parallax Abstraction

they have paying customers in those markets? wow!

A sizable number of European developers and publishers still use StarForce. Many games that are released here without it have it on the Euro releases. It hasn't had the backlash there that it has here. I imagine since StarForce is Russian, they're an easier company to deal with if you're from those territories.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

12. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 23:02 Jerykk

Let them contact Activision, since they seem to be nowadays the publisher most inclined to fuck their customers. A match made in heaven (though too late for Ghostbusters)

I think you mean Atari. As far as I can recall, Activision has never used DRM or Starforce.

11. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 22:26 headkase

Thats why they should be phased-out. Until people stop stealing there is no measure that can be taken for an open-platform. A closed-platform such as an xBox is difficult enough to try and keep down. By being open PCs today allow users to modify contents. Until the end-user has no ability to falsify verification, or entitlement, then you cannot stop a single cracker - different every-time - seeding the entire world every time a publisher attempts to sell their product. Now nobody is going to make programming tools illegal for PCs soon. People just won't accept it, you will never certify every machine. The next logical level you are able to apply certification to is the network of Open-PCs. If you cannot force PCs to be nice then you re-engineer the transport layer with honesty bits and actual local-law enforcement at the same time. You put your copy-protection as intrinsic to the network, non-trusted machines routing through a web of rules and permissions enforced by attribution in a content management system. All Internet connected programs must comply with transport regulation so bit-torrent and the like would need to add identifiers to mark what they are actually carrying. Then you go all digital for distribution drying-up local stores while managing issues such as first-sale doctrine when it comes to the supply of patches and such. And so on, ...  

10. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 21:34 Acleacius

Hey can't wait to see the backlash of the first publisher to add this bullshit.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 21:04 zirik

But based on our Russian and Eastern European experiences, both publishers and customers are very delighted with our new steps.

they have paying customers in those markets? wow!

8. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 20:45 PropheT

I'm not usually as anti-DRM as most of the people around here, it just doesn't bother me much...but screw StarForce and the horse they rode in on.  

7. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 20:09 theyarecomingforyou

In other words StarForce have updated their software to support 64bit operating systems by not requiring hardware level access. And I'm struggling to see how they ignored the end user when nothing they did impacted the end user beyond the need to have the disc in - it was all behind the scenes, unlike SecuROM. Don't get me wrong, I despise StarForce and any other draconian DRM but I'm struggling to see what's changed. If they've simply copied SecuROM and added online activation then that makes their software LESS user friendly.

Whatever. I hope DRM dies and I really hope Valve do something to reduce the inconvenience of Steam's DRM - why should is take 20 seconds on some occasions to launch a game when running in offline mode has none? I don't see why they can't simply have the Steam client download an authorisation key in the background that's valid for say 5-10hrs (or even 1hr, it doesn't really matter) and then launch games immediately - that way you wouldn't get delays for individual games on launch, it would all be seamless. Either that or scrap all DRM altogether, though that seems a bit further off.

I find it hard to believe StarForce is going to win over developers when even those that use SecuROM are backing off the limited activations.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: StarForce Revival Q&A Jun 16, 2009, 19:42 Paketep

Fuck them.

Let them contact Activision, since they seem to be nowadays the publisher most inclined to fuck their customers. A match made in heaven (though too late for Ghostbusters)

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo