Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends

The Ossian Studios Website announces Atari's removal of the three-installation limit imposed by the DRM in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate. They say the adventure pack can now be installed "as many times as you like on your computer." Further details and discussion of this can be found in the Ossian Studios Forums. Thanks Gamer's Hell.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: The DRM is still there. Jun 17, 2009, 11:18 Wowbagger_TIP

I dunno, man. A LOT of people have waiting for a Forgotten Realms MOG for a very long time now. Done right, they could make a fortune.
Then we have to lay odds on Atari not only making a really really good game, but also not shooting themselves in the foot by doing something retarded like this pointless DRM scheme. If it had been removed after the first month or whatever, then fine, I could at least see their argument that it helped prevent 0day piracy of the game. But to leave it in is just a great way to piss people off and drive them away from buying a legit copy. Yeah, I think Atari is history, probably within about a year of the release of their MMOG.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: The DRM is still there. Jun 17, 2009, 01:26 Cram

I dunno, man. A LOT of people have waiting for a Forgotten Realms MOG for a very long time now. Done right, they could make a fortune.

Myself Included.

But to take on WoW...
Conan, Warhammer, LotR and Dungeons&Dragons are all potentially lucrative IP's, and I don't think any of them have done all that well. People leave WoW for a month or two, but go back because the content just isn't there in any of those games (or there's a handful of other problems).

And it's not just WoW really. By the time this game is ready, there will be Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars Old Republic and quite possibly another WoW expansion pack.

I just don't see NVN being at all successful. At all, in any way.

Edit: And how success will be measured for this game is pretty staggering. That last article a few days back stated that Atari is heavily dependent on this game in order to remain "successful" as a company (lol). Or whatever they said. I assume it basically means if this game goes bust, Atari is done.

So, the measure of "success" is pretty huge. I'm pretty sure 100k or 200k steady subscriptions won't even remotely be considered successful. I in no way see this game having that many steady subscriptions. They might somehow get 500k or whatever at launch, but it'll almost certainly dwindle within a couple months like it has for every other game.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2009, 01:40.

21. Re: The DRM is still there. Jun 17, 2009, 00:50 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: The DRM is still there. Jun 16, 2009, 19:30 Jonny

You have to admire Atari's ability to stay financially solvent when it's run by such a gigantic bunch of cockwallets.

They're just waiting until they can go out in a blaze of glory, taking on WoW with the Neverwinter Nights MMO. That's going to sink Atari like they've been hit with a torpedo the size of the Eiffel Tower.

19. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 18:31 Bill Borre

I like NWN2, and I would have bought this, but the computer I play games on is not connected to the internet.  

18. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 18:13 Sencho

We believe not having the 3-activation limit should improve the situation for NWN2 fans.
Like finding a penny on the sidewalk is better than having no money in your pockets. You'll still starve.

Frankly Ossian, like the madness I experienced first-hand with Moo3, this is just another example where Atari shows a deep antipathy for their customers. But hey, it's easier for Atari lose money by driving away my business than to prevent loss with proven ineffectual DRM.

17. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 17:55 Ruffiana

You know I miss the days when copy protection was a simple:

"What is the fourth word in the third paragraph sentence 3 on page 44

Hehe, yeah. Remember LucasArts and that whacky wheel they'd put with games?

As for removing the DRM, good move, but a bit too little too late. I've already skipped your game and have no intention of going back and buying it.

So hey, you may have saved a few people from pirating it! You've also lost several sales, AND gained more negative publicity.

All in all, I'd say you didn't really gain much. Good job Atari.

In fairness, that's just your opinion. You have no evidence of how many 'day one' sales they gained by having DRM in to limit the soft piracy that might happen between friends and family. To me, that's very clearly what this short-term, limited install DRM was meant to deter.

You might be right, you might not. The picture is probably quite a bit more muddled and gray than you think. Ultimately, it's the publishers who are taking the risk with investing huge sums of cash into developing and releasing a game, and it's their decision about how best to protect that investment.

You're doing what you should be, by opting to not purchase a game that uses piracy protection methods you don't agree with, but I don't get this need to wish death and ruin to any company who's not catering to your individual wants.

I generally agree with the ineffectiveness of DRM and how it more often impacts legitimate users rather than 'pirates', but I also see a huge looming problem as more and more people start flipping the proverbial man the bird and rationalizing stealing games. Budgets to develop games are not going down, expectations for games are not going down, but the trend for actual profit to be made certainly does seem to be, and I don't see how the industry can continue to make these huge, risky investments in creating games if they're just going to be throwing that money away.

Ultimately, the gamers and people who make actually make the games will suffer.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 17:56.

16. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 16:37 GT

Activation servers are typically smart enough to detect the difference between a user activating a game multiple times over the long term, and many, many users activating a game with the same key in the short term, regardless of whether there is an activation limit or not.
So, what you are saying is that the game's DRM still has an installation limit, but now it's just much higher or within a shorter duration period than before.

We believe not having the 3-activation limit should improve the situation for NWN2 fans.
Yes, in the same way that punching your customers in the face is an improvement over kicking them in the balls.

I've never seen any people complaining about the online games from TellTalle (Sam & Max, Wallace and Gromit), which also require activations.
That's because the people who buy those games either aren't bright enough to know about DRM or are too stupid to care. It's also because those games have little or no replayability so the limits are less of an issue.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 16:41.

15. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 16:33 nin

I'm sure your customers will be thrilled the collar got loosened a whole notch...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 16:26 Ossian

Activation servers are typically smart enough to detect the difference between a user activating a game multiple times over the long term, and many, many users activating a game with the same key in the short term, regardless of whether there is an activation limit or not.

We believe not having the 3-activation limit should improve the situation for NWN2 fans. It's something we agreed with them on but needed to work out with Atari, our publisher. As a comparison, I've never seen any people complaining about the online games from TellTalle (Sam & Max, Wallace and Gromit), which also require activations.

13. No subject Jun 16, 2009, 16:15 Umbragen

If Atari ever releases a complete compilation of NWN2 I'll likely buy it, but I don't have the patience to deal with this kind of bullshit.  

12. Re: The DRM is still there. Jun 16, 2009, 16:13 Creston

This doesn't remove the game's DRM. It just eliminates the installation limit. The game's DRM still requires Internet activation each time the game is installed on a new PC or a PC's hardware configuration changes

Brilliant. So even when they TRY to do something right, they still fuck it up.

You have to admire Atari's ability to stay financially solvent when it's run by such a gigantic bunch of cockwallets.

Creston

11. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 15:05 GT

The only way that would make sense (assuming the activation limit is really removed) would be if the module "phoned home" each time it was run to make sure that the serial number hadn't been activated on another computer.
No, that is what the limit was for. When you activated the game, the server recorded the activated PC's hardware signature in its database with the game serial number used to activate it. Once the activation limit for the serial number was reached, the server refused further activations. Now Ossian claims you can activate the game on as many PC's/signatures as you wish. There is no way for the activation server to know if the games are simultaneously run or not since the game doesn't stay connected to the server, and Ossian doesn't say that there is a simultaneous use limit.

Activation is simply pointless if the installation limit has truely been removed and not just raised. And, it will still prevent legitimate copies of the game from being played when the activation is unavailable or fails.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 16:01.

10. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:56 Ecthelion

What really makes no sense is why remove the limit but retain the activation. Ossian claims in its forum post that the activation is still "necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it." However, if the installation limit truely has been lifted, then there would be nothing preventing hundreds or thousands of activations using the same serial number. Therefore, the activation is pointless for preventing that unless the limit is actually still in place but has instead been set to a higher number like 100 which Ossian doesn't think most customers will reach.
The only way that prevent piracy now (assuming the activation limit is really removed) would be if the module "phoned home" each time it was run to make sure that the serial number hadn't been activated on another computer.

I don't think it's that quite intrusive though, and even if it were, it would make their concern (read: excuse for not removing the DRM altogether) moot.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 14:57.

9. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:34 GT

Why was there even a limit on this to begin with?
What really makes no sense is why remove the limit but retain the activation. Ossian claims in its forum post that the activation is still "necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it." However, if the installation limit truely has been lifted, then there would be nothing preventing hundreds or thousands of activations using the same serial number. Therefore, the activation is pointless for preventing that unless the limit is actually still in place but has instead been set to a higher number like 100 which Ossian doesn't think most customers will reach.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 14:34.

8. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:31 Sencho

The good: Getting rid of stupid and arbitrary activation limits.
The bad: The probable continuation of other, unmentioned, DRM.
The Atari: That the product was so mismanaged that this move actually seems noteworthy.

7. The DRM is still there. Jun 16, 2009, 14:29 GT

As for removing the DRM, good move, but a bit too little too late.
This doesn't remove the game's DRM. It just eliminates the installation limit. The game's DRM still requires Internet activation each time the game is installed on a new PC or a PC's hardware configuration changes. See http://www.ossianstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141

6. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:22 Creston

"What is the fourth word in the third paragraph sentence 3 on page 44

Hehe, yeah. Remember LucasArts and that whacky wheel they'd put with games?

As for removing the DRM, good move, but a bit too little too late. I've already skipped your game and have no intention of going back and buying it.

So hey, you may have saved a few people from pirating it! You've also lost several sales, AND gained more negative publicity.

All in all, I'd say you didn't really gain much. Good job Atari.

Creston

5. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:18 Jonny

Good job. Delay it for a year for DRM that then pisses people off and stops a lot from buying it who otherwise would, then shut it down two months later. I fear there's not a suitable :-facepalm-: on the entire internet for this type of behaviour.  

4. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:13 Grounded

"What is the fourth word in the third paragraph sentence 3 on page 44"

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo