Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer

A post on Ecto-Web analyzes the Ghostbusters: The Video Game specs, pointing out that Windows is the only one of the game's platforms other than the DS that's not getting multiplayer co-op, a shortcoming that's also highlighted on Co-Optimus. Thanks Gary.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 17, 2009, 17:12 Z9000

@Dots - No means you were dismissed, just like I am pretty much dismissing you again. Your points, good, bad or ugly don't matter to me. Your ideas are flawed, I don't value you, you personally, yes you, enough to spend effort responding. You can claim ultimate victory, and that you are right in all things for all I care.

And seriously, grow the hell up. Using the word fanboy to excuse hateful behavior over entertainment hardware makes you shallow, repugnant, and very unworthy of any effort or response.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2009, 17:19.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 16, 2009, 17:19 Dots

So with PC you get a gate keeper over all your software, with consoles you get a partial gatekeeper on some DLC, but no gatekeeper on the big retail games (the ones that matter). So not sure what your point is, other than you don't really have one?
Yes. You do. Your console is the gatekeeper. There is nothing you can do to bypass the disc protection, your PS3 can't even be reflashed. But in PC games, you can get past the DRM by just replacing an executable. In other words, yes, console DRM is so much more severe than PC DRM, it's not even funny.

Z9000, you avoid any logical confrontation and continue to pour this console fanboi bullshit out.

75. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 16, 2009, 07:42 Z9000

Yeah LOL the consoles are largely about DRM and consumer lock-in.

LOL what are you guys smoking today? Go try and run a PC game on Xbox, PS3, Wii, Mac, or an Amiga for that matter. Same deal! Especially with Steam Live.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

74. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 16, 2009, 07:38 Z9000

The argument that PC DRM is somehow worse than the inherent console lock-in and DRM completely discredited anything else you might have had to say Z9000.

LOL What? My games don't have activation limits and can be sold, traded, given to a friend. The only thing that might be considered DRM on the retail games is that it only works on a PS3? That's not DRM, that's proprietary development, just like the Xbox and even the PC (try putting a PC game in a mac).

For the occasional DLC or budget games, PS3 DRM is a 5 different device allowance and completely transferable to other devices just like Ipod. I can call Sony on the phone if needed (haven't needed to yet and I got the DLC on 2 machines at the moment). Xbox on the other hand is 1 machine only and they make you do back flips to transfer it more than once a year. Hell most people are lucky to get an Xbox to last a whole year... To the console systems credit, their DRM does not interfere with the operation of the title (unless it's Xbox makin you redownload everything again after a RROD which shows up as demo only until you do!)

I am safe in my opinion that I think all PC DRM is total crap across the board, period, Steam included, especially since it's DRM that sometimes has games with even further imbedded DRM. If Steam did their DRM like Ipod, had good support, a number to call, didn't force a TSR all the time, and didn't alow other DRM to be imbedded, I would be a lot easier going on them. But the main problem remains is that the retail games are all included in the DRM too (unlike consoles). So with PC you get a gate keeper over all your software, with consoles you get a partial gatekeeper on some DLC, but no gatekeeper on the big retail games (the ones that matter). So not sure what your point is, other than you don't really have one?

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 07:40.

73. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 16, 2009, 06:54 Prez

I for one was looking forward to seeing how this turned out. I still to this day say things like "That's a big Twinkie!" and "THE FLOWERS ARE STILL STANDING!!!" as much as I can. I have a real fond nostalgia for the movie, which was great fun.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 16, 2009, 03:26 Tanto Edge

I can't fucking believe this.
...I can't fucking believe this.

Hang on.

Yep, still can't fucking believe this.
What, do I expect multiplayer in a patch? Maybe in Ghostbusters 2?
Available on Steam in June 2010?

...What the fuck!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

71. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 16, 2009, 00:52 elefunk

Why is this such a big deal? The game is $30 fucking dollars, it's half the price of the console versions, why the hell are people expecting to get all the same features?

More importantly, did people actually give a shit about the multiplayer in this game in the first place?

-They didn't lie on the box about what was included in the game
-They cut the price to make up for the missing features
-People wouldn't give a shit about this game in the first place if not for this news item.

It's just a bunch of sandy vaginas who need something to bitch and whine about, so they pick this non-story as their fodder.

70. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 21:58 Prez

Funny how no one would give a shit about the PC version of this game, and this thread would've gotten all of 2-3 replies, if the PC version of Ghostbusters was as full-featured as the console versions

I think maybe the trend is more the story than the game. One has to wonder why a publisher would bother releasing a gimped version of a game on the platform already guaranteed to sell the fewest copies. Smacks of contractual obligation to me.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 06:48.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 15, 2009, 18:24 LittleMe

The argument that PC DRM is somehow worse than the inherent console lock-in and DRM completely discredited anything else you might have had to say Z9000.

Yeah LOL the consoles are largely about DRM and consumer lock-in.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

68. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 15, 2009, 18:03 Mashiki Amiketo

LOL True! I didn't like people ragging on Caveman for speaking his mind...

Dusts off old timer hat... Get off my lawn! Opinions are allowed unless Blue says otherwise.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

67. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 17:32 Belzabub

I'm still going to get the game.

It doesn't bother me that it has no multiplayer. I hope this is a sign that more games down the road will be multiplayer less.

66. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 16:14 Dots

@Dots - No
No, what? It's a horrendous, illogical argument you made there. It's barely an argument at all, more of an uninformed rant.
http://kotaku.com/5285729/ea-re+thinking-how-you-spend-your-gaming-money

It's apparently a business plan from here on out. Now we get to buy disks with a portion of the content.

Costumes and stuff? Who cares? That is optional DLC stuff, I am talking about the entire 2nd city in the Sims 3 game.
I want you to actually explain what this crap is. Why exactly is going online and getting free content and features a bad thing in the Sims 3? Do you realize that My Beautiful Katamari, a console-only title actually had paid DLC that unlocked stuff on its disc? You didn't download anything but a modified configuration file to unlock something that you already had on your disc. In a console game. For money.

Are you even kidding me, the two aren't anywhere on the same level, what does PC gaming have to do with it when consoles started it?
Me: WHY would I want to pay 1k-3k for a rig to put up with crap like that?

You: $1-3k? Seriously? If you buy a $1000 PC today, it'll last you for a very long time. It'll also do more than any console can. A $3000 PC is just a waste of money.

WTF? I mean really. How does an opine about PC prices address my question? You do this all the time...
Put up with what 'crap'? Steam? A very convenient program packed with useful features that takes up 10 megabytes out of your 4000 megabytes of RAM at most? A program that made me basically stop buying games retail because of how fast and easy it is so now I buy them on Steam?

Put up with what exact "crap"? Autopatching? A convenient IM client and a browser accessible from within games? Is it supposed to inconvenience me because I'm not on the internet all the time due to having a laptop? Yet I play games fine because the offline mode works perfectly and with basically no limitations.

There is no "crap" involved, there is only you trying to spin console fanboism and FUD concerning DRM into a tale of how modern PC gaming "fucks over its clientele" when nothing of the sort actually happens outside of your vivid imagination.

65. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 15, 2009, 16:10 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

64. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 16:07 Jerykk

That is optional DLC stuff, I am talking about the entire 2nd city in the Sims 3 game.

Like I said before, Sims 3 is the only game to obviously cut out material for use as DLC. However, at least the city isn't being charged for, unlike most DLC that shows up on consoles. We have yet to see if EA will use a similar model for PC games but if they do, it doesn't really matter because the content will be free once you register. I don't have a problem with that at all.

WTF? I mean really. How does an opine about PC prices address my question? You do this all the time...

You essentially stated that PCs aren't worth $1-3k. That claim revolves entirely around the price range you designated. You don't need to spend more than $1000 to get a good rig so your range is much higher than it should be. I think $1000 is a good price to pay for all the stuff a PC can do, including playing the majority of console releases with better graphics, performance and controls.

So I can see my in game characters shrink when I crank up the res. They look real good I am sure, if they were not the size of ants!

When was the last time you actually changed resolutions in a game? Higher resolution = smaller pixels, not smaller models. Smaller pixels = sharper edges, less aliasing. Only 2D sprites get smaller when you increase screen resolution.

FF14 is probably the best positioned to do this. Especially since the FF11 PC version was disasterous. It's something to watch.

Maybe, maybe not. I doubt it will be more successful than MMOs on PC.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 16:14.

63. Re: No Ghostbusters PC MP Jun 15, 2009, 16:03 Z9000

LOL True! I didn't like people ragging on Caveman for speaking his mind...  

62. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 15:51 elefunk

Funny how no one would give a shit about the PC version of this game, and this thread would've gotten all of 2-3 replies, if the PC version of Ghostbusters was as full-featured as the console versions  

61. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 15:48 Z9000

Sims 3 is the only PC game where this has been really obvious. Console games aren't immune to it either. SF4 forced you to pay to unlock costumes that were already on the disc. RE5's multiplayer mode was the same. It's a trend that's consuming the whole industry and isn't limited to PC.

http://kotaku.com/5285729/ea-re+thinking-how-you-spend-your-gaming-money

It's apparently a business plan from here on out. Now we get to buy disks with a portion of the content.

Costumes and stuff? Who cares? That is optional DLC stuff, I am talking about the entire 2nd city in the Sims 3 game.

Everyone? There are only a few games that require Steam and a few that require Impulse. 95% of PC games don't require you to login to anything.

You don't answer my questions, you cut and paste portions and misconstrue what I say, and now make up totally ridiculous statements like this.

Example:

Me: WHY would I want to pay 1k-3k for a rig to put up with crap like that?

You: $1-3k? Seriously? If you buy a $1000 PC today, it'll last you for a very long time. It'll also do more than any console can. A $3000 PC is just a waste of money.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that these games will be bigger hits than the previous attempts at MMO on console. And I'm pretty sure they'll all be more successful on the PC.

FF14 is probably the best positioned to do this. Especially since the FF11 PC version was disasterous. It's something to watch.

@Dots - No

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 15:48.

60. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 15:23 Dots

You are skipping the most disturbing part of PC software, all the crazy newfangled ideas and obstructionware that gets used! While DRM is going out of style in some places after wreaking crazy damage to many PC gamer's desire to play PC games, they are moving on to either full force Steam, DUCk or both! That's Downloaded Unlocked Content. The newest schtick to get you to buy a half burned game and download the other half, or at least unlock it. WHY would I want to pay 1k-3k for a rig to put up with crap like that? So I can see my in game characters shrink when I crank up the res. They look real good I am sure, if they were not the size of ants! Crazy
Are you insane or something? I'm not sure, I know I'm flaming but this crap you wrote is inane console fanboi crap of the highest degree.

PCs have DRM? You don't say. Consoles have unavoidable disc checks. It's the exact same thing. PCs have downloadable games that may depend on internet services? Wow, so do consoles. The difference is, on the PCs, the DRM code if you really need to do it-is generally bypassable and it's not on the consoles.

Of course, consoles have it grrrrrreat as DRM is concerned, remember how buying anything on XBox Live is tied to your account to the point where after disc data transfer you wouldn't be able to play them offline anymore? I don't know if they fixed it, but the fact is: console DRM is much, much worse than PC DRM for the most part and the only reason why you don't riot at it is because it's slightly less obvious.
You missed the entire point of that paragraph. On PC's now, everyone has a service, set of hoops, and log in crap to subject to the end user just so they can use the play the damn game. Consoles are the most painless and speedy to get updates.

Why would I want to part with 1k-3k worth of cash for a PC just to subject myself to that kind of scrutiny just for games that are majorly console ports? I mean seriously? I know good shooters and some of the Steam stuff is good times for PC gamers that like the community there, and that's great if you are in to that. I out grew FPS shooter marathons 10 years ago. I just had done it for so long it became repetitive no matter what the new flavor of the year was (i.e. burnout on the whole concept). But many still like it, more power to them. Other than that, you got MMOS and well. more console ports!
It's nice to hear what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy, it's not relevant to the situation other people have. Action games and JRPGs are much more monotonous and repetitive than any of those "shooter marathons". It's just how it is. And "console ports"? How about we talk how consoles have technically substandard games? Why does being a port matter if there is a better experience to be had on the PC?
You are thinking last years styles, not the stuff coming down the pipe. Watch FF14, DC Universe, Champion's Online when they come out. Going to be better sub rate than any MMO besides WoW I bet, atleast one of them will.

I just remembered back to a dude when I was playing EQ, he was using a game pad for everything. He would run in circles until he could turn autorun off when you would say something to him. Pretty damn funny.

I expect RTS games to catch on eventually. It's a large change in control method. A lot like getting people to play shooters with a pad instead of a mouse. Hell even I didn't want to do it for the longest, but now it's second nature. Just like shooters, it will happen for RTS.

I hope Aspyr keeps promoting no DRM disc based games because I will keep grabbing them. Anything else other than SC2 and D3 will need to go console to grab my cash if they are using DRM, DUC, or other shennanigans.
Yep, the whole industry will hop up and down at the whim of consoles. The fact is, there is just nowhere enough of an audience on the consoles to validate the existence of RTS and MMO titles there. Champions Online 360 launch has been postponed to some indeterminate time beyond the PC release, and the only game that will properly get subscriptions from the console side is FF14, but given FF11's subscriber base it's not going to be significant.

So please, stop making pointless arrogant, FUD-filled posts filled with inane drivel on the topic of DRM, especially.

59. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 15:17 Jerykk

That's Downloaded Unlocked Content. The newest schtick to get you to buy a half burned game and download the other half, or at least unlock it.

Sims 3 is the only PC game where this has been really obvious. Console games aren't immune to it either. SF4 forced you to pay to unlock costumes that were already on the disc. RE5's multiplayer mode was the same. It's a trend that's consuming the whole industry and isn't limited to PC.

WHY would I want to pay 1k-3k for a rig to put up with crap like that?

$1-3k? Seriously? If you buy a $1000 PC today, it'll last you for a very long time. It'll also do more than any console can. A $3000 PC is just a waste of money.

On PC's now, everyone has a service, set of hoops, and log in crap to subject to the end user just so they can use the play the damn game.

Everyone? There are only a few games that require Steam and a few that require Impulse. 95% of PC games don't require you to login to anything.

Other than that, you got MMOS and well. more console ports!

Again, your logic wouldn't be so baffling if you didn't like console games. Console port = same game, only with better graphics, performance and controls. Why would you choose to play inferior versions that cost $10-20 more?

Watch FF14, DC Universe, Champion's Online when they come out. Going to be better sub rate than any MMO besides WoW I bet, atleast one of them will.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that these games will be bigger hits than the previous attempts at MMO on console. And I'm pretty sure they'll all be more successful on the PC.

Just like shooters, it will happen for RTS.

Maybe, maybe not. Nothing is inevitable.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 15:18.

58. Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 15:13 Dots

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo