Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat interview on PC Games is the English version of a conversation that's also available in German, chatting with Oleg Yavorsky of GSC Game World about their upcoming installment in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of irradiated first-person shooters. They go into some detail about this project, and Oleg also grants that they have plans for a full-blown S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sequel, but he dismisses speculation they are set on the CryEngine for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as "pure rumor." He also outlines the system specifications for Call of Pripyat:

No exact ship date so far, but we expect to get the game out this Autumn already. The game should be pretty playable on a machine like:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 / AMD 64 X2 5600+
- 2 GB RAM
- 512 MB DirectX® 9.0c compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon® HD 4850

As you know, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a tweakable menu with a lot of parameters to affect the performance. So you can adjust it as you like to achieve the comfortable play. Anyway, if you want to play it in max quality and resolution, go for as powerful machine as you can - there's never enough in this case.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 16, 2009, 06:17 Lit_Reflex001

Exactly. People are gonna have to force a transition to 64-bit for it to happen.

Luckily that process is already beginning. Southern California's biggest electronics reseller Fry's Electronics (the Wal-Mart of electronics stores, who price their things about $5 more than the cheapest price on Pricegrabber) is selling 64-bit systems now that come with something in the range of 4-6 GB of RAM.

I'm surprised though because I didn't think the general public would be ready to handle it anytime soon, what with the danger of corrupting an installation from installing 32 bit drivers.

I look forward to expanded support for 64 bit code, though. When I installed XP Pro X64 it was like I had upgraded to some form of hyperthreading. It definitely wasn't the fresh format/install causing the performance gain though, as I had been using NTFS before.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 06:19.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 15, 2009, 21:25 Surf

The whole 64 bit marketing craze went no where and very few people I know even use it. Heck even on servers I still see people using the Enterprise Windows Server x32 bit which can go up to something like 32gigs of ram. Some server are 64 bit but not common by any means.

Wonder why? Seems logical to all go 64 bit and multi core. Matter of fact if I was MS and Windows 7 were being made I would sell it only as a 64 bit version. Tough shit folks, gotta move forward.

17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 15, 2009, 19:42 Lit_Reflex001

Quite frankly, running a processor in 64-bit mode with Windows XP running stable is a perfectly sane endeavor.

I've heard it was garbage back in 2005 but really this is a good choice for XP.

It's worth the cut in time it takes to process things.

16. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 15, 2009, 14:04 Surf

I used Vista x32 (From here going forward, x86 is the architecture which describes both x32 and x64 bit, quit fucking saying x86 for 32 bit apps!) from the get go.

Vista day one was dog shit and it deserved all the blame and ire it received.

I then tried it again when SP1 came out and moved to Vista x64. Since then the OS has been EXCELLENT, with the exception of a few programs not supporting x64.

SP2 was fine as well, not really changing anything and taking no risks.

Windows 7 is Vista, just with a new name and a different coat of paint. Simply a marketing trick to sell you the same thing as before. Think of Windows 7 as Vista Game of the Year Edition.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 14:13.

15. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 15, 2009, 09:00 theyarecomingforyou

Also, any program not claiming X64 support simply means they didn't develop it with the WOW64 *EMULATOR* in mind!
I didn't claim they didn't work. I was merely pointing out the 64bit applications I use - primarily VST sampling engines - don't officially support XP64, only Vista64 is supported. XP64 was never anything more than a glorified test that came very late to the field. If it had been released on time and not delayed while Intel played catchup then the situation may have been very different. As it stands XP64 was never relevant and never will be.

Your love for Vista shows that you are incapable of being honest with yourself and that you have poor judgment.
Vista was a decent operating system and I used it from launch. It wasn't perfect but if offered more benefits than disadvantages, at least to me. Win7 is a better operating system, is currently what I'm using and I intend to buy upon launch as well.

I will, however, reserve the right to be pissed off at ignorant developers who refuse to consider other people's systems or try different things.
It's not ignorant for a developer to support a non-consumer operating system. It was never sold at retail or with new computers.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 15, 2009, 02:09 PHJF

Nobody ever supported XP x64 nor should they be expected to. Like he said... it isn't and never was a consumer OS and you're purely odd if you're running it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 15, 2009, 01:47 Lit_Reflex001

Did you not read what I typed the first time?

THEY FIXED IT! EVERYTHING WORKS NOW!

Also, any program not claiming X64 support simply means they didn't develop it with the WOW64 *EMULATOR* in mind!

You don't develop 32 bit apps FOR X64; you just tweak them if necessary for the emulator to run the same type of fucking code.

Your love for Vista shows that you are incapable of being honest with yourself and that you have poor judgment. Also, your inexplicable bypassing of direct statements being made to you indicates that you probably also watch Fox News.

How much demand is there for the continuation of Windows XP support? Hmmm?

Also, while expecting support for X64 is unreasonable, that reality is dwindling away. I will, however, reserve the right to be pissed off at ignorant developers who refuse to consider other people's systems or try different things.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 01:48.

12. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 15, 2009, 00:40 theyarecomingforyou

And do not forget that XP is still the Microsoft OS of choice.
Firstly, no it's not. Secondly, even if that were true the 64bit version is very poorly supported - many of the 64bit compatible programs I use specifically state it isn't supported. Thirdly, STALKER runs great on Vista 64bit, so it's not like it's a problem with 64bit itself. That doesn't excuse incompatibility with XP64 but then it was never a consumer OS like Vista / Win7; it's like being disappointed when a game doesn't run on Windows Server.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 23:56 Lit_Reflex001

I bought it in 2007 and by then it was ABSOLUTELY stable and the compatibility is 90%+.

Really.

Anyways, it is frustrating because they chose to use some piece of shit random installation program. Most programs work in XP Pro X64 and it is truly a more often than not pleasurable experience.

It is true, however, that incompatibility exists and unfortunately, one of the newer versions of Installshield fails to function. There are ways around this, though.

IMO, you do not truly support your product if X64 versions of Windows are not considered. The WoW64 emulator handles all but the oldest Win95 apps very well and only in isolated incidents is there specific occurences of incompatibility.

And do not forget that XP is still the Microsoft OS of choice.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2009, 23:59.

10. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 23:12 elefunk

Who the hell is using XP 64-bit? Like, 200 people? I can't fault a developer for not supporting the OS when practically nothing else is supported in it. The game works fine in Vista 64, at least.  

9. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 22:25 Lit_Reflex001

As long as they are using that horrible game engine from Clear Sky there will be tons of systems that can't run it in decent detail.

Seriously. All of their graphical features are half-assed and extremely inefficient.

Crysis running in Very High detail on my overclocked E6750 (to 3.2 from 2.66) with a 9800 GT and 2 gigs of DDR2-800 runs MUCH BETTER (30-35 FPS average vs. UNPLAYABLE) than Stalker:Clear Sky with full detail (basically with the full dynamic lighting).

There is a problem there.

Also those bastards haven't responded about the fact that you can't patch Clear Sky in X64 XP.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2009, 22:27.

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 14, 2009, 17:53 theyarecomingforyou

I really hate randomly-generated anything. It's the very definition of quantity over quality.
Indeed, but if artificial intelligence could be used to create the content then it could provide great value to a game. And I'd love to see such AI combined with voice synthesis capable of expressing emotion, though that seems like it will be decades away. I really wish we'd see innovation like that but few games make anything more than modest changes. Anyway, enough getting too far ahead... it's good that they're properly crafting missions - the random content in the previous games was dire.

7. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 17:18 Jerykk

If a current gen console can run it acceptably, a decent gaming PC won't break into sweat unless you want a view distance and anti-aliasing and other such elitist crap.

Long draw distance and antialiasing is elitist now..?

Anyway, it looks like they're FINALLY getting rid of the randomly-generated side-missions and replacing them with unique and meaningful quests. Much kudos for that. I really hate randomly-generated anything. It's the very definition of quantity over quality.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2009, 17:21.

6. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Inte Jun 14, 2009, 17:00 theyarecomingforyou

I just don't get why they'd want to use CryEngine3 over the Dunia engine (Far Cry 2). FC2 runs a damn sight better, has dramatically less loading times, supports far larger maps, has decent AI, is fully console compatible (unlike CE3, which is still work in progress), has better level design tools and looks much better, at least imo. To me moving to CryEngine3 is a sideways step - it requires a huge amount of work, it requires a considerable licensing fee and the X-Ray engine is pretty decent, especially after the focus on performance in the later Clear Sky patches.

Even CryEngine 2 performs decently on modern hardware, now that the engine's been out for nearly 2 years. It performs a hell of a lot better than Clear Sky did while looking a hell of a lot better too, that's for sure.
Clear Sky is demanding when maxed out but not more than Crysis and it scales a lot better. For instance, you can reduce the rendering mode and it will runs great on most systems. Even when you turn it up if you pick the right settings you can get most of the visuals without the performance hit (it runs better than Crysis Warhead). I have a 4870 and Clear Sky runs better than Crysis Warhead, even with DX10.1 settings enabled.

5. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 15:43 elefunk

Even CryEngine 2 performs decently on modern hardware, now that the engine's been out for nearly 2 years. It performs a hell of a lot better than Clear Sky did while looking a hell of a lot better too, that's for sure.

The rumor is that CryEngine 3 would be used, not CryEngine 2. CryEngine 3 should perform much better since it's specifically being tuned to scale down to consoles.

Enough about STALKER 2 though. The minimum specs for Call of Pripyat are identical to the first two games. They're no doubt leaving in the old DX8 renderer for those who want to play it on older hardware.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2009, 15:46.

4. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 15:12 CommunistHamster

Huh, I didn't know there was anything outside of the games. According to the article there are 20 books in russian.  

3. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 14:30 Quboid

I'd be surprised if they didn't use a new version of their own engine, X-Ray. That said, I think CryEngine 3 will probably perform pretty well, firstly because they must know CryEngine 2 deserved the plentiful stick that they got, and also because console projects have been announced using CryEngine 3. If a current gen console can run it acceptably, a decent gaming PC won't break into sweat unless you want a view distance and anti-aliasing and other such elitist crap.  

- Quboid

2. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 14:25 Quboid

... and my C2D 2.4Ghz creaks a little more. I wonder what the fastest chip I can get without needing a new mobo or memory is.

Can we please all just call it Stalker?

- Quboid

1. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Interview, Specs Jun 14, 2009, 14:25 Beelzebud

Please not the CryEngine... Use an engine that looks good and runs on a reasonable PC. This is where I see PC developers shooting themselves in the foot. If only 5% of PC Gamers can run your game, don't be shocked when sales tank.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo