Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Arcania Jun 15, 2009, 21:32 Jerykk

Dodging was never even an option. In none of the games.

Incorrect, dear sir. If you pressed back during combat, you'd hop backwards letting you avoid the unblockable animal attacks.

Seriously, attacking with well timed, quick left/right blows has always been much more effective as you could basically put your opponent in a stun-lock that way.

That only worked against certain enemies. For most enemies, if you had a low weapon skill, you couldn't chain your attacks together quickly enough to prevent enemies from attacking. I'm replaying Gothic 1 right now so it's pretty fresh in my memory.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2009, 21:32.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Arcania Jun 15, 2009, 09:56 CJ_Parker

Gone are the times where you actually had to block, dodge and time your attacks.

WTF are you even talking about? The Gothics have always had a very basic and simplistic combat system. Dodging was never even an option. In none of the games. An option or a key to dodge just plain never existed in any of the Gothic games. Are you on drugs?
And blocking, while at least an option, was just a massive waste of time that only a complete n00b would have made use of. I never used it on any of my numerous replays of the Gothic games (cuz I am in fact not a n00b).
Seriously, attacking with well timed, quick left/right blows has always been much more effective as you could basically put your opponent in a stun-lock that way. There are videos of people who went to kill the black troll (for those who don't know that's one of the most powerful beasts in Gothic 2 NotR) in NotR with just left/right swinging as newbie characters on level 1. You can easily get through all three games just using two keys in combat.
Feel free to praise the classic Gothics for all sorts of good shit and I will very likely agree with you since they are (among) my most favorite games ever but a complex or intricate combat system has never been a trademark of the series. Combat has in fact always been one of the few weak points of the series.

2. Re: Arcania Jun 14, 2009, 17:07 Jerykk

Arcania certainly looks pretty but it also looks like Spellbound hasn't learned from anything in Gothic 3. For one, combat is still button masherific. Gone are the times where you actually had to block, dodge and time your attacks. Secondly, you can now join ALL the factions. Part of the main appeal of Gothic 1 and 2 is that you had to choose between the three factions and this would change your path through the game. No longer is this the case, as Arcania adopts the Oblivion attitude of "be everything to everyone."

At this point, I'm thinking Risen has a lot more potential to be a worthy successor to the first two Gothics.

1. Re: Arcania "Review" Jun 14, 2009, 16:24 ldonyo

This is a preview, not a review. The game isn't even out yet and has no release date set.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo