Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian's Unannounced Game

The Feargus Urquhart Interview on GameBanshee talks with the Obsidian Entertainment CEO about the past, present and future. They talk about his days at Interplay, a little on the KOTOR series, Neverwinter Nights 2, Bethesda's Fallout 3, and more. Along the way he reveals they are developing an unannounced project:

We have been working on another title for the last four months that we can't talk about yet. It's going really well though and the team is really excited. It's using our own internal engine so we are really able to do things our way based upon everything we've learned about making RPGs in the past ten to fifteen years. Don't take that as a silent slam on Unreal - it's not. Our engine, like Unreal, is a tool and different jobs can be done better with tools that are made for them. There are things that our engine may never do as well as Unreal, but likewise there are things that our engine will do that will be better than Unreal.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 16, 2009, 02:26 Jerykk

NWN2 didn't use the Unreal engine.

Anyway, I disagree with his belief that PC games aren't profitable. Especially when he says this: But, as I said above, it's still scary to look at spending $3M or $7M of your own money to make something and then wonder if you are going to get it all back.

Really? He doesn't think a PC game can sell enough to make $7 million? That's ridiculous. At a budget $30 price, a PC game only needs to sell 233k units to make $7 million. At a regular $50 price, it only needs to sell 140k. If The Witcher can sell a million units, I don't see why a CRPG from the remnants of Black Isle can't.

He should have just been honest. Instead of saying bullshit like "Oh, we'd probably go out of business if we made PC games," he should have said "We want to make as much money as possible so we're going to cater to the lowest common denominator."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 15, 2009, 07:50 dryden555

an interesting interview from someone who's worked on many major PC RPG games. He tells it like it is:

1. there arent many investors out there who will invest 5 million RandD for a PC only game.
2. He didnt find the unreal engine well-suited for NW2. I'd like to see the NW2 game buried forever and I've tried to like that game and add-ons.
3. He finds that he has less time for hands-on game development in his role as manager. That might explain the problems with KOTOR2 and NW2.

I wish him luck, but Obsidian's last 2 games were rushed and not all that great. They need to make more polished games.

11. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 14, 2009, 03:08 Cutter

Why mention what you can't talk about when it's at least 2 years off?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 14, 2009, 01:40 Wowbagger_TIP

I think you're mistaking Obsidian for Bethesda.
Yeah, you're right. Got it mixed up. I've generally liked the games that Obsidian has done, even though they've had some issues that put some people off. Going the consolish route that Alpha Protocol seems to have gone will probably put me off though. PC-style RPGs are probably just going to get more and more rare I think.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 22:55 Prez

If it's not Knights of the Old Republic 3, then I don't care. But I'll settle for Knights of Columbus 3!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 21:37 mongrol

I thought he couldn't talk about it yet? I'm sure he just wrote a whole paragraph all about it!  
The Loose Bandit

7. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 20:53 Paranoid Jack

I was pretty stoke about Alpha Protocol until I saw that extremely console-ish action segment from E3. So unless that was game-play limited to the console only I plan on taking the wait and see (read buyers reviews) before my purchase of the PC version.

What sucks is I had hoped Alpha Protocol would hold me off from buying Dragon Age Origins (PC) until several months after release. Oh, well... it's not like there will be a shortage of good console games to play this Fall/Winter.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2009, 20:54.

6. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 18:35 Jerykk

I've pretty much given up hoping they'll learn from past mistakes making RPGs with all the leveled bullshit and other mistakes that they made with both Oblivion and Fallout.

I think you're mistaking Obsidian for Bethesda. I'm more concerned with the proprietary engine. NWN2's engine was terrible and chugs even on modern hardware. And I'm sure whatever new game they're making will be designed for consoles ala Alpha Protocol.

5. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 18:29 Wowbagger_TIP

My bet would be another NWN2 expansion. Atari hinted at such when MoW was released.
Not likely if they're using their own internal engine for it. I've pretty much given up hoping they'll learn from past mistakes making RPGs with all the leveled bullshit and other mistakes that they made with both Oblivion and Fallout. Extreme skepticism seems warranted.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 17:46 Scottish Martial Arts

My bet would be another NWN2 expansion. Atari hinted at such when MoW was released.  

3. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 16:10 Ray Ban

Since they are already working on a contemporary RPG and a sci-fi RPG, I'll bet this one includes elves.  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

2. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 15:45 TychoCelchuuu

Well, I'm pumped. It would be nice to know something about it, though.  

1. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 15:30 Creston

So, they're working on that spy RPG whose name escapes me at the moment (Project something?), Fallout : New Vegas AND another game?

How many people work at Obsidian nowadays? That seems a lot of games to be working on for a studio that I always thought was pretty small.

Creston

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo