Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2009, 12:52 Sepharo

I was finished for the evening, but I have some time this afternoon to let you know that I think you totally missed the point of my last reply.

Further confirming that you are unable to glean tone from text.

Hint: I wasn't making a comment on anything to do with grammar or spelling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2009, 18:40 The PC Warrior

Your post history isn't something to gloat about either there bud. I apologize for typing while tired sometimes but I think my grammar and spelling are just fine for the most part. Any other silly personal slights or are you finished for the evening?  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2009, 18:31 Sepharo

Just chimin' in to say that PC Warrior has textual Asperger's.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2009, 18:14 The PC Warrior

The last console I purchased was a Playstation 2. Sorry you will have to find someone else to bicker with over the Internet.  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2009, 09:12 space captain

Ok, I'm not going to get really hung up over, it's a comment from an interview.

i agree it has been said before, hell its a fuckin cliche at this point - im just puzzled why you cant accept the fact that Valve said something derogatory about a console.. or is it because hes talking about a ps3 and you own an xbox? because that would be fucking retarded

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 21:49 John

Speaking of Valve, where's HL2 - Episode 3? I didn't miss it, did I?  
This space is available for rent

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 19:53 The PC Warrior

Ok, I'm not going to get really hung up over, it's a comment from an interview. If you want to really read into it then go crazy. Regardless of whether he's dissing the PS3 or not, his point is solid and nothing that hasn't been said about the PS3 in the past.  

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 19:44 space captain

Without knowing the context of the conversation and the tone of his voice, you can't really make that judgment was my point.

of course you can make that judgement, but for some reason you are unable to admit it - and your defensiveness by proxy isnt something that baffles me either

perhaps im giving you more credit than you deserve.. but you should be able to spot the passive aggressiveness in statements like "sweating bullets over obscure architecture decisions"

thats different than saying "we prefer not to develop for the ps3".. because he implies that he is "suffering" because of "obscure" decisions

its the kind of whiny bullshit youd expect from a tech

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 19:31 ldonyo

You mean except for the proprietary CPU and proprietary architecture, which is HUUUUGE.

That is exactly the reason most devs do not like coding for the PS3, everything has to be done differently. Going from the PC to the 360, or vice versa, is relatively simple as most of your code ports fine.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 19:27 The PC Warrior

Without knowing the context of the conversation and the tone of his voice, you can't really make that judgment was my point. He's stating nothing other developers haven't said in the past.  

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 17:33 space captain

He didn't make any backhanded remark,

do you know what that even means?

"We can focus on what we want to do, which is make game experiences, instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions they make with [Sony’s] platform."

thats called a backhanded remark

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 17:27 The PC Warrior

The Xbox360 peripherals are a ridiculous ripoff but to be fair to MS, their system is easy to modify for piracy purposes and having standard hard drive attachments would let people build up a 1TB library of games far too conveniently. It doesn't excuse their prices one bit though. The PS3 can get away with standard connections because of the architectural barriers that have thus far prevented all piracy on the system.

Interestingly enough, the PS3 versions of Linux are locked out from accessing the Blu-Ray device and low level Cell functions.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2009, 17:29.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 17:06 DDI

In terms of everything else the PS3 is superior in terms of hardware and accessibility, standard USB ports, non-proprietary connections and such. That I like about it.

You mean except for the proprietary CPU and proprietary architecture, which is HUUUUGE.

The thing that annoys me about the 360 is the hard drive upgrade pricing. I can buy a goddamn 1 TB drive for the cost of their 120 GB.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 16:51 The PC Warrior

He didn't make any backhanded remark, he said the PS3 is a difficult platform to program for. That's just telling the truth, I can think of few developers who have commented positively on it and many who have commented in the negative. He wasn't insulting the Playstation 3, he was just saying why Valve does not make titles for it.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 16:43 the_culture

Reactions likes yours are why companies filter shit through so much PR, gamers can't handle honesty apparently.

Typical forum poster: always jumping to conclusions and making wrong assumptions. I was commenting on his backhanded remark towards the PS3. If the guy doesn't like or prefer to code for the PS3, fine... don't code. But why does everyone in the industry feel the burning desire put someone down all the time.

It's bad enough we have PC/PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP fanboys running around mouthing off all the time, all the while having gaming "journalists" fueling the fire with their inept and derogatory articles.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 15:34 Verno

My post wasn't a bitch about the PS3, I think the PS3 as a system is fine, I was just stating that devs have been pretty noisy about it being a pain in the ass to work with. I am not a dev but I have heard that the Cell CPU is essentially single core, the other units are dedicated to other functions and that the audio is single threaded which explains why PSN voice functionality isn't a standard preset for every game, it has to be coded in by the devs who reportedly have had some problems with it.

In terms of everything else the PS3 is superior in terms of hardware and accessibility, standard USB ports, non-proprietary connections and such. That I like about it. I prefer the 360 because I think the overall package is better, hardware isn't everything if the software isn't there to back it up.

I'm also not convinced on the graphical superiority of the PS3 in general. Most cross platform games look identical or even better on the 360 due to the AA. I find the 360 to have more problems with pop-in than the PS3 though. I look at stuff like GT5 and I think "ok you made pretty cars at the expense of everything else". Show me a game like Fuel that looks like GT5, that would impress me. Infamous is about the best looking game on the system and I've seen better looking PC games from three years ago.

Anyways this is turning into a rant post when that wasn't really my intent so I'll stop now.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 14:19 MattyC

I agree. Even though I loved the PS & PS2 to death and planned to be all about the PS3 this time around, I get the feeling Sony just dumped the PS3 out there to win the BR vs HDDVD. It is losing what exclusive titles it has, is overly expensive, several system sellers STILL aren't out (GT cough), and it just seems that developers hate working with it.

Maybe the PS3 does have some great power that is untapped, but we haven't seen any signs of it yet. And developers seem much more fond of working with the 360s triple core 3.2 GHz PowerPC than the mess that is the Cell. I guess we should have all seen that coming though. Look at how few games on the PC really take advantage of quads let alone the tangled web that is the Cell Broadband Engine.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 14:10 Rilcon

A lot of developers do PS3 versions, sure, and most of them hate it. Valve is just one of the few that are secure / independent enough to do so publicly.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 11:29 Verno

A lot of studios contract their ports out, they don't do them in-house. That's why you often see 5 logos when you start up the game. Valve tried this with the 360 but were really unhappy with the porting job the studio did, so they try to do as much themselves as possible. They don't really have the resources to delve into the PS3, they are already spread pretty thin. Look how long it took Sony's own first party devs to get a handle on the system. It's a complicated system to program for and it's quite notorious for that problem. This should be no surprise to anyone, devs were really bitchy about the complexity of the PS2 as well.

Doesn't mean it's impossible, just means Valve doesn't want to bother.

He sounds like a big baby

He was asked a question by an interviewer and answered, what more do you want? Reactions likes yours are why companies filter shit through so much PR, gamers can't handle honesty apparently.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2009, 11:39.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 11:10 the_culture

Leonard said that, as a developer, he didn’t enter the business “because of some technical fetish”, but instead to offer up experiences that others would enjoy.

He sounds like a big baby. Infinity Ward, Bethesda, and others don't seem to have a problem creating games for the PC and PS3.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo