Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free

The Dungeons & Dragons Online has the announcement of Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, an upcoming free upgrade for Turbine's Dungeons and Dragons MMORPG that raises the game's level cap and includes a new subscription-free component. As explained here, the game will still offer the opportunity to pay a monthly fee to be a VIP which earns special perks, and so all existing subscribers are now VIPs. There's a preview of the game on IGN, and meanwhile Eberron Unlimited is now in closed beta testing, you can sign up here if you are interested in being a tester. Here's more:

Launching this summer, DDO Unlimited will introduce an innovative new business model that is designed to provide an extraordinary experience to players who want a choice in how they pay and play online games. Players can download and play DDO Unlimited for free with the ability to purchase additional content and items in the new DDO Store to enhance their experience. Alternatively, players can choose to join the new DDO VIP program and gain unlimited access to all premium content plus a number of exclusive benefits for a single low monthly price.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 12, 2009, 19:13 space captain

i mean - w t f  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 10, 2009, 16:51 Karnisov

im still waiting on a proper, modern Dragonlance RPG.. the time for that has most likely passed tho

yeah as great as Chronicles and Legends were, I can't understand why a real studio hasn't done anything with the Dragonlance setting. Black Isle needs to reform and make this their first project. and it should be a real rpg, not an mmo.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2009, 16:52.

"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

27. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 10, 2009, 16:00 space captain

im surprised you all think Roper actually gave a shit about the game, in terms of it being a video game that you would play to have fun

no - the shit was an exercise in pure, unadulterated marketing.. the project was more about seeing how many people could be convinced to buy a "lifetime subscription" - something that most older gamers would find ludicrous at best, considering the ephemeral nature of this business

the "game" portion of the exercise was secondary to that main experimental thrust.. hence its total lack of redeeming qualities beyond a quick 15 or 20 hour run thru

Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 10, 2009, 08:42 Undocumented Alien

I'm sure Bill fucking Roper still can't figure that one out. "Now how did GW sell 5 million copies, and we had to close after 8 months? What did they have that we didn't..."

Yep, he could have printed his own $3 Bills if HG:L would have gone with your straight Diablo/GW model, as that was the crowd that was drawn to his type of game. But as he found out, trying to make a Diablo/Sacred type game into a money monger MMO didn't fool the masses.

25. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 10, 2009, 04:51 Talisorn

Considering LotRO is a damn good game and AC was great in it's time, Turbine haven't done too badly. I played DDO when it first came out and it wasn't a WoW ... but meh ... for free? I'll play it for that.

Oh ... and GW sucked. It had as much depth of gameplay as the average roadside puddle. Sure you can splash in it, but it's not going to amuse you for long if you want to swim laps.

The opportunity for D&D:O was wasted when they didn't let people DM and create adventures and content for the players. Slow the action down so it could be nearly turn-based, and give the DM player actual control over the dungeon, the monsters, everything. Just like a P&P game.

What we need is DDO: Architect Edition.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2009, 04:55.

24. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 10, 2009, 04:03 Creston

The GW model was perfect, kept the dev pumping out good quality expansions to get more money, and it obviously works.

Isn't it funny that of all the games in this genre that have come out in the last few years, the only game that's done well and is still doing well, is the one made by the dev that didn't try to screw over its customers?

I'm sure Bill fucking Roper still can't figure that one out. "Now how did GW sell 5 million copies, and we had to close after 8 months? What did they have that we didn't..."

Creston

23. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 22:29 NateMan

i went to the site but i couldnt find where to download it  

22. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 22:10 Mead

Not surprising. DDO will be phased out and replaced by its 4th Edition ruleset successor.  

21. Re: Improved from beta? Jun 9, 2009, 19:51 Kxmode

Turbine kicks ass at making MMOs but D&DO, along with Asheron's Call 2, feel like failures in many ways. Most noticeably D&DO felt too much like a theme park with lots of barricades that forced you into certain ride lines, and you couldn't experience other rides until you finish the predefined arrangement of rides the game assigns. This game made me feel boxed in, and I didn't like it one bit.  

20. Improved from beta? Jun 9, 2009, 19:28 Ant

Is the game any better since the beta? I remember not liking it much during beta tests.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 17:32 Keith

They ever get around to adding first person view that was playable?  

18. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 17:19 Flatline

I think where turbine went wrong is: dungeons are not randomly generated, which kills replay value.

The opportunity for D&D:O was wasted when they didn't let people DM and create adventures and content for the players. Slow the action down so it could be nearly turn-based, and give the DM player actual control over the dungeon, the monsters, everything. Just like a P&P game.

Cities/hubs would be opened up to multiple people, but at the same time you had DMs who could drift around and assign quests to NPCs, stock the vendors, and other things, depending on who joined the DM's party.

I'd pay 10 bucks a month to play D&D online, with my friends, and have it basically be an online, graphically complex version of tabletop.

I know they're doing something like this with D&D 4th, but it won't have the immersion quality of something like D&D:O

17. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 17:13 Prez

Well, free always gets my attention. Most of my criticisms of MMOs in general are rendered moot at that price point. It's not like I'm losing anything if I play, except time. If it isn't my thing, that doesn't take too long for me to figure out, so no big loss.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 17:04 f13

I beta tested this game but never end up buying it. Despite that, i have to say i actually enjoyed it. It had a certain calm ambiance. The dungeons were interesting, but what did stand out to me was the combat. I clicked so much in the mouse that i end up getting lesions on some of the fingers. Would love to try it with a gamepad.

some of the people i played with were also ok and mature, maybe i was lucky, dunno. I've been tempted to get the trial and play it but then i can't stand the slow download rates and to think i'm starting wayyyy too late when everyone already topped the level.

oh and this new business model only applies to USA. Europeans still get monthly subscriptions. Can't wait to see the boycott on that

15. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 16:54 Aganazer

I swear this game gets no respect. The combat system is miles ahead of the any other MMOG. The dungeon environments are much more interactive than any other MMOG. The character development is much more complex than any other MMOG. An open world would be nice, but the things this game does well, it does really well.  

14. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 16:48 Zadig

The Guild Wars business model is quite good, but it doesn’t have 10 million subscribers depositing $100+ million into the developer’s bank account every month. So no one should expect it to become widely adopted.

Developers will keep churning out subscription based generic fantasy games simply because they want Warcraft revenue. That none of the clones (LOTRO, Warhammer, Conan, ad infinitum) have come anywhere close to Warcraft numbers doesn’t seem to deter them at all.

13. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 16:24 Karnisov

I think where turbine went wrong is: dungeons are not randomly generated, which kills replay value. also traps are in the same location every time, which means everyone knows where they are, making them pointless. another thing that killed it for me was the community, so many assholes on there. and as many people pointed out earlier, d&d the mmo is not the same as d&d the tabletop game. so your target niche is blah, and the greater mmo population is blah too, because its neither d&d, nor is it a great mmo.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

12. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 16:10 Undocumented Alien

Wasn't a big fan of this model with Hellgate, and apparently wasn't the only one as Hellgate went the way of it's title.

After playing GW for a long time, it's hard to justify paying a subscription for a game that is no greater then GW, which gave the gamer EVERYTHING for the purchase price and didn't create these fractured player communities (freebie players Vs VIP's).

Personally, I'm waiting for another GW style game (maybe GW 2) where I buy a story line, then when the next chapter comes out buy that one also. None of this micro-transaction shit or Hellgates $10 a month to get to restricted areas and then come out with more content when it suits THEM. The GW model was perfect, kept the dev pumping out good quality expansions to get more money, and it obviously works.

What would have drawn me in is to simply drop the monthly fee, charge me for the "base" game (that includes all items), and then have me buy any of the expansions for x amount of $$$. Yes, just like GW. If this game is like GW I could probably get a small guild over to it for people who are looking for a new game with the GW model.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2009, 16:31.

11. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 15:55 Darks

I was actually waiting on them to offer a life time sub for this game. I played on here for about a yr and liked the game. the only thing that got annoying was that you couldnt solo alot of the areas. they have changed that over the past 2 yrs, but it may be little to late now. but im going to jump back on and see what its offering now. see how much free gives u compared to the vip part.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

10. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Goes Free Jun 9, 2009, 14:58 space captain

im still waiting on a proper, modern Dragonlance RPG.. the time for that has most likely passed tho  
Go forth, and kill!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo