Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In explaining the Friday night mishap I missed mentioning yesterday being the 65th anniversary of the launch of the D-Day invasion. I just saw a special on the invasion of Omaha beach, and in spite of all I thought I new about the Battle of Normandy, I was positively staggered by the enormous price paid to storm the beach. That special also provided an education on the way the invasion's success turned out to rely on a lucky turn of events that placed a group of Rangers in the wrong place at the right time, that ended up saving the day. Amazing stuff.

R.I.P.: David Eddings. Thanks Ant.

Invasion of the Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Uphill Rush 2.
Catastrophic Construction.
Story: Grammys drop polka album award. Hurtling into the past. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Winless! Detroit Lions Fan Tattoo goes 0-16.
Bowling is sadistic.
Follow-ups: Mars Roverís Underbelly Panorama. Thanks j.c.f.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2009, 08:56 Armengar

If you think that was staggering. Look up the battle of the somme.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2009, 11:28 mag

Man, David Eddings... I read The Elenium first, and then I read the Tamuli. I never read the Belgariad since, as above, I'd heard that it's the exact same plot.

Still, his books were great for totally indulgent brain-turn-off-ery.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2009, 10:12 nin

A special "fuck fuck fuckity fuck" for Hellbinder, since I know he loves that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2009, 09:21 InBlack

What you call luck is the LORD's divine intervention. He alone understands the details of everything and how even the smalest "change" can bring world wide impact.

Yeah, so where was he when Hitler put together a panel to come up with a "final solution"? Where was he when Stalin decided that "friends" were just "enemies" in disguise? Where was he when a few guys decided that crashing planes into buildings was a great way to go to heaven....

Where you see DIVINE MEANING, I see trial and error. I call your bluff. Now go troll on some other board.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. David Eddings Jun 8, 2009, 06:19 Shadowcat

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Belgariad when I was a kid. It was my introduction to the rather indulgent world of the Fantasy Trilogy, and I ate it up. I admit that I also enjoyed the sequel trilogy The Malloreon, but it didn't escape my notice that it was, in fact, the same story as its predecessor. When I picked up the first book of his next series, and found myself reading that same story for a third time, I gave up in disgust and never looked at an Eddings novel again.

I liked his writing. I just wish he could have thought up a second plot line (soon enough for me to care, at least).

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2009, 06:25.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2009, 21:55 Learning

For want of a nail a shoe was lost.  

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2009, 20:04 Peter

If you look for patterns you will always find them.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2009, 16:50 Hellbinder

What you call luck is the LORD's divine intervention. He alone understands the details of everything and how even the smalest "change" can bring world wide impact.

The Whales name is Bob.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo