Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Patch

A new patch is now available for Far Cry 2 to update Ubisoft's sequel to Crytek's first person shooter to version 1.03. The update includes a new "hardcore" mode along with some features requested by the community; here's the general description: "This patch includes a lot of improvements for both single player and multiplayer mode; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want." The download is available on ActionTrip, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, Fileplay, Gamer's Hell, and The Patches Scrolls.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 4, 2009, 06:33 KilrathiAce

Did this patch address the famouse 88% progress stuck bug?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 23:45 Graham Hardy

I agree with all the negative remarks. Far Cry 2 was a huge disappointment. It totally sucked.
What made me really mad was nearly all the online reviews were positive about this game. They completely sold out. In fact, I will never bother to read the online reviews in future (with any seriousness).

P.S. I need Crysis 2

29. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 23:38 Creston

Or considering how much experience the hero supposedly has in that region, malaria tablets aren't part of his inventory.

They are, he just runs out. Remember that in the opening sequence in the Jeep, he gets hit with a Malaria attack right as they pull up to the hotel, he pops open his bottle of pills and it's empty.

Creston

28. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 22:49 GT

My guess would be you're referring to the L4D SDK Beta
And, your guess would be wrong. I am referring to the fact that none of Valve's Source engine multiplayer games except for HL2 Deathmatch have real SDK's because none of them include actual source code to the games. A real SDK is what is provided by other companies like Epic, id, Monolith, Crytek, etc. for their games. This is why you don't and won't see any real mods for games like DOD:S and TF2 because they would have to be written from scratch or using only the example HL2:DM code as a base which would be a major undertaking. While minor "mods" based upon reverse-engineered hacks which hook into the Source engine like the Metamod are possible, there are real limits to what can be accomplished through such hacks. In contrast anyone who wants to make a real mod of a game like ET:QW, Q4, FEAR, Farcry, Crysis Warhead, or UT3 can do so with relative ease since their SDK's include at least the real gameplay source code.

you obviously have no idea how much work goes into releasing a public SDK such as thorough documentation and redesigning of tools to allow people who aren't professional designers to create their own content
You obviously have no idea what constitutes a real SDK nor do you know how to use one or have ever used one obviously. Few if any game SDK's (including the one SDK from Valve) have redesigned tools or thorough documentation. The tools and code are the same as what the developers used. What is provided is usually simply a subset of the total tools and code available for the game. The official documentation is also usually sparse or non-existent and most documentation comes from unofficial sources and community-based wikis. Epic does a better job than anyone else at providing modders with access to its official documentation, but even Epic doesn't provide access to everything that licensees get. While Valve's SDK documentation is far from thorough, where its misnamed SDK is really lacking is in the source code area. The only reason that Valve gets away with calling its editing tools an "SDK" is because it has a legion of fanboys like you who are either too ignorant to know any better or who are unwilling to point out that their emperor has no clothes.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2009, 20:17.

27. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 22:44 mickelobe

"So, you're saying that Ubisoft pulled a "Valve." At least Ubisoft doesn't have the gall to still call its map editor an "SDK" when it contains no code to the game."

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pulling a valve"

My guess would be you're referring to the L4D SDK Beta. Mind me for emphasizing the keyword "BETA" aka not final. you obviously have no idea how much work goes into releasing a public SDK such as thorough documentation and redesigning of tools to allow people who aren't professional designers to create their own content.

26. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 19:40 GT

Ubisoft in their infinite wisdom decided against releasing a SDK other than a map editor.
So, you're saying that Ubisoft pulled a "Valve." At least Ubisoft doesn't have the gall to still call its map editor an "SDK" when it contains no code to the game like Valve does.

Remember the days when it was an unwritten law that all games could be modded on the PC?
Yes, and I also remember when an SDK meant you got at least some source code to the game not just a map editor and some modeling utilties and plug-ins.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2009, 20:19.

25. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 18:52 Masa

The malaria thing is dumb (if I am THAT sick, why not get treated or take a small break from destroying the world,) but was such a small thing compared to the other flaws.

Or considering how much experience the hero supposedly has in that region, malaria tablets aren't part of his inventory.

24. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 18:04 Prez

Ubisoft in their infinite wisdom decided against releasing a SDK other than a map editor. So as of right now and the foreseeable future we won't be seeing any user made enhancements to the mediocre game play mechanics this otherwise stunningly beautiful game offers.

Remember the days when it was an unwritten law that all games could be modded on the PC? I guess it's less of a priority now that consoles are the primary platforms for just about everything.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 17:39 Ray Marden

Nothing mattered in that game, though. Nothing.

I don't even know why they tried to even name the so called "factions" - everybody hates your character and wants him dead.

As for combat, what combat? I've done like 20 or so of the weapon runs, but I still my first pistol and machine gun upgrade - I just drive around everywhere and use the mounted gun.

The malaria thing is dumb (if I am THAT sick, why not get treated or take a small break from destroying the world,) but was such a small thing compared to the other flaws.

It's definitely the start of a great game, but with the game aspect left out. Like I said, I'll play it for a few minutes to shoot some stuff, but there just is not much else I can do in that game. Everybody hates me and all I need is this vehicle with its mounted weapon...
30%? Umm...maybe you meant 30 *seconds*?
Old; wanting more than guns and explosions in my games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

22. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 17:21 mickelobe

Ubisoft in their infinite wisdom decided against releasing a SDK other than a map editor. So as of right now and the foreseeable future we won't be seeing any user made enhancements to the mediocre game play mechanics this otherwise stunningly beautiful game offers.

21. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 16:46 Cabezone

It wasn't just that the enemies respawned too fast. It was combined with the fact that you couldn't drive past the checkpoints due to NPCs all having catchup speed while driving. I don't know what ass decided that was a good gameplay decision/combo but they should not be allowed to make any future decisions.

As others have said it doesn't seem like it would have taken much to make a great game out of what's there. Most people are in agreement with what tweaks are needed.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 16:47.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

20. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 16:27 Prez

Every so often, I do a google search for Far Cry 2 mods, hoping for a mod that removes the magically respawning enemies but I come up empty. There doesn't seem to be any mods of any substance at all, really. Is the game not mod friendly or is it a matter of no one cares?

I sure wish I could do it, but I don't know jack about modding or changing code.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 16:09 Optimaximal

Also, why the hell does everyone talk so fast? It's like they did the voice work a week before, realized the lip-syncing was all screwed up, but didn't have the time to fix it and told the actors to just work around it.
It's a get out clause, but they explained that as pure mania, identical too that which is experienced by those in a warzone. Everyone is so stressed, worked up and mentally damaged, it's hard to concentrate and speak properly.

But yes, it's also a sloppy job.

18. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 15:28 Aero

I thought it was okay. Not great, but passably okay.

The thing about it is that it could so easily have been an awesome game, one that people would remember for a long time. Without any drastic changes to the game--just respawning and such--it could have been a good game. With a handful of new features (friendlies, factions, reputations, more genuine npc interaction) it could have been an excellent game, and with a more living environment along the lines of GTA, it could have been a classic.

Making it good probably wouldn't have taken any more time development-wise at all, just some different decisions. Another few months developing it and it could have been excellent.

That's why I'm salty about it.

Also, why the hell does everyone talk so fast? It's like they did the voice work a week before, realized the lip-syncing was all screwed up, but didn't have the time to fix it and told the actors to just work around it.

17. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 15:19 Tumbler

All in all, I really enjoyed the game though, I LOVED the engine, loved the open landscapes, loved the billion ways a firefight could play out, loved doing drive-by's on fortified positions, loved sneaking around with a silent sniper rifle, loved burning the shit out of mercs, loved the level design.

I really want to see them make a sequel and fix the more annoying parts, I think it would be my favorite shooter of all time.

Creston

Game should have been Called "Potential" in it's current state. I saw glimpses of what it could be when I was playing it. But all the frustrations you mentioned just destroyed the games fun factor. The general hostility of nearly everyone you run into was a big problem. How fun would GTA be if the cops were constantly after you?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

All in all, I really enjoyed the game though, I LOVED the engine, loved the open landscapes, loved the billion ways a firefight could play out, loved doing drive-by's on fortified positions, loved sneaking around with a silent sniper rifle, loved burning the shit out of mercs, loved the level design.

I really want to see them make a sequel and fix the more annoying parts, I think it would be my favorite shooter of all time.
Yeah. Now I can't help but imagine a sequence where your buddy drives you about and you have to man the turret, possibly with a couple of other buddies in another vehicle doing the same... awesomeness.

My biggest other beef was that everyone hated you. If I'm working for the UPF, shouldn't the UPF guys let me through their checkpoints?
Yeah. Simply having the guy say "you're on your own for this one" didn't cut it.

There's room for a lot of improvement in the game, but I liked the core idea of it. I hope they make another.
Absolutely. They've nailed the engine, combat AI and firefights... now they just need to nail the rest. The theme was brilliant - desert, jungle, water. And they should definitely add more bus stops as they were a great way to navigate... they just couldn't get you to half the map. I'd much rather do most of the game on foot and rely on buses than have car / jeep patrols to deal with just as an excuse to let you have a vehicle.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

15. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 14:52 Creston

"Remember, China, this is a secret mission, so watch out for our boys out there too" or words to that effect.

Pure lazy developers.

Yeah that's all it was. They didn't want to implement the factions out in the field, so it was all just one giant "HATE PLAYER" group.

Which sucked, especially since it made no sense. Even if you DID go undercover, the UPF would realize after one or two missions that having you out there murdering 3 dozen of their guys was probably not the best way to victory, so they'd eventually tell their men to back off no matter what.

There's room for a lot of improvement in the game, but I liked the core idea of it. I hope they make another.

Creston

14. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 14:32 CommunistHamster

My biggest other beef was that everyone hated you. If I'm working for the UPF, shouldn't the UPF guys let me through their checkpoints?

"Remember, China, this is a secret mission, so watch out for our boys out there too" or words to that effect.

Pure lazy developers.

13. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 14:03 Creston

I'm one of the (apparently) few who really enjoyed the game.

I loved it too, though the respawns happened way too quickly. It would have been so easy to fix, too, just FORCE the player to sleep every night (or every day, or every 24 hours, whatever), and then give every checkpoint/spawnpoint a CHANCE of respawning. (say 30% or so, individually).

That way you can complete a mission and go back without having to fight the same guys you just killed, and that way you never really know if the upcoming spawn point has someone on it or not.

I actually hated the driving patrols more than anything else, because they were always the same (jump to turret, riddle them with bullets).

A checkpoint was at least varied in the way you could take them out. Snipe silently, sneak in with a shotgun, take them out from range, dump a few grenades in them (works like a charm!)
Set fire to the whole fucking savannah and listen to them squeal as they burn. Ahhh.

The Malaria thing didn't really bother me so much, as it was the main plot device by which everything was explained. (why you can't drive off into the desert, why you eventually 'decide' to join the Jackal, etc.)

Creston

12. Re: Far Cry 2 Patch Jun 3, 2009, 13:50 theyarecomingforyou

I enjoyed Far Cry 2. The combat is excellent, thanks to the AI and freedom of tactics, and it's great coming up with new ways to take down enemies. Unfortunately the game is pretty poor in large periods and is only really good as a sandbox shooter. What they need to do to make it an excellent game:

1) Scrap malaria after the first 1/3 of the game (even if only as an optional mission)
2) Delay respawns until the next game day
3) Allowed you to drive through checkpoints without automatically being attacked (bribing them; drive slowly, etc)
4) Had non-hostile inhabitants
5) Didn't have an absurdly limited stamina (forcing vehicle usage)
6) Didn't have vehicles damaged after only a few gunshots
7) Didn't have the AI running over you at every fucking opportunity
8) Didn't have AI drivers miraculously overtaking you when you had a head start and were going flat out
9) Had a mission structure with actual choice (picking a side) and one where you could actually complete the primary objective(!!!)
10) Had a day / night cycle where the AI actually exhibited different behaviour
11) Had weapons that didn't malfunction after barely any time, forcing you to rely on weapons dealers (you should have a chance of picking up a weapon in mint condition)
12) Had friendly AI, instead of occasional buddy rescues
13) Allowed you to play on after completing the game
14) Supported multiplayer(!!)

Basically I see Far Cry 2 as a strong game that failed to live up to the huge potential it had. There's a lot that's wrong with it and the problem is that a lot of it was VERY easy to fix. Adding a delay to respawns? Not hard. Providing a cure to malaria? Easy. Stopping AI vehicle drivers being pricks? Same. That's why people are annoyed. This game could have been patched to a much better state but it was treated like an aborted foetus. They changed very little, released a shitty overpriced DLC and haven't given any indication as to an expansion and/or further patch.

Personally I'm glad I bought it and played it but it was a bit of a let down.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo