Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FINAL FANTASY XIV

Though development is not yet complete on FINAL FANTASY XIII, Square Enix announces FINAL FANTASY XIV, saying the 14th game in the RPG series is an MMORPG for PC and PlayStation 3 planned for release next year. The FINAL FANTASY XIV Website is online, offering a teaser trailer for the game, and preliminary word is: "LOS ANGELES (June 2, 2009) Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), announced that FINAL FANTASY XIV, an all new massively multiplayer role-playing game (MMORPG), is planned for simultaneous global release with language support in Japanese, English, French and German. Adventure begins anew in the vast realm of Eorzea!"

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 17:52 Caveman

I'm definitely replaying Red Mage/Black Mage again. I loved the ability to do a little bit of everything. I also had no trouble finding a party to grind with, because at higher levels I could replace a White Mage, and my refresh ability was loved by Paladins everywhere.

Plus, you can't beat armor like this.
http://www.ffcompendium.com/art/11-redmage-a.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 14:58 DanL

Character models and the world looks alot like Vanadiel. I agree with most people here. FFXI was great and had so much substance and depth. The grind was a killer though, but it becomes so very rewarding once you get used to it and get to the higher levels. I was a WHM/BLM, so you can believe the grind hit me the hardest...  

32. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 09:58 Verno

Damned shame, I loved the job system and game world itself. One of the few times where I felt an MMO had a convincing environment with interesting backstory and lore. The storyline quests and missions were great too. Just went way too far on the grindstick and never backed off. Samurai/War was one of my favorite MMO class combos of all time, too bad everything else in the game was such a painful timesink  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

31. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 09:54 sauron

Yeah, you can alt-tab, and they made grouping a lot easier (can now synchronize levels so that anybody can party together). Can now also solo jobs to max level too.

However, the main issues with the game remain. Getting to max level is still a horrible grind no matter how you do it, and once you get there you need to group to do any sort of endgame activity. Some parts of endgame are a lot of fun and take around an hour or two, but other events (usually the older ones) take 3 hours and need like 30-40 people so they're a horrific timesink.

XIV will need to cut down on the grinding and time committment, and give more fun per hour invested. Pitching the traditional korean model to a US audience isn't going to fly this time around since folks here are used to WoW. If it's FFXI with better graphics it will succeed in Japan and fail over here. If it's a more forgiving design with less stringent time requirements and more fun, it could be good.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 09:55.

Kittens!

30. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 09:44 Verno

Nah, back when I played they charged a fee just to keep your characters active. If you didn't keep your account active, they were deleted. I'm not alone, this happened to many others and is one of the reasons people hate PlayOnline.

Can you alt tab yet btw or do you still need to use Windower? Seriously a game that wouldn't let me alt tab just made me boggle for ages.

29. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 08:54 sauron

when i went to resub once they deleted my characters because I wouldn't pay PlayOnline some monthly fee just to keep data on their servers. What a joke!

You probably deleted the characters rather than just inactivating them.

If you delete them, they're gone. If you inactivate them, they're available for reactivation at any time, and PlayOnline is free.

Kittens!

28. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 08:45 Verno

I doubt it to be honest, it's limited to two platforms and the FF name is not well thought of in terms of the MMO market. It's been what, five or six years since FFXI launched and the improvements usually come in the form of expansions and do little to fix the underlying problems. Square-Enix has shown a remarkable ability to ignore their playerbase. I wonder if they still don't let you alt-tab the game, hahah. God that was such a shitty MMO and I have zero hope for this one. The horribly convoluted PlayOnline was just icing on the cake, when i went to resub once they deleted my characters because I wouldn't pay PlayOnline some monthly fee just to keep data on their servers. What a joke!

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 08:47.

27. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 08:34 sauron

They'll definitely need to cut down the grinding for it to be a success, and enable soloing. FFXI is built on the same kind of effort vs reward model as Lineage, and it's too much for a lot of US and european players. Be interesting to see how much SE have learned from FFXI and whether they can bring that experience to bear in FFXIV, to make it attractive to a mass audience.

That being said, all the FFXI servers are still up and the game population is very stable - it's a mix of japanese, US, european, chinese, korean, and arab states players (in that order, numbers wise). If you add in the number of people that are fans of the FF series, and MMO players, the potential audience is really big.

Kittens!

26. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 07:50 NKD

And yeah, that too. Grouping being required for everyone but two classes past level 10? Not fucking fun. I don't expect every game to be WoW but give me a break, I can't go out and level without a full party = lolol.

Exactly. You'd spend 2 hours finding a fucking group, only for it to fall apart in 15 minutes. Unless your group lasted 4 or 5 hours you were just wasting your time.

I enjoyed EverQuest, but FFXI made that seem downright casual. At least in EverQuest you found groups a hell of a lot faster.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

25. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 06:51 Dades

It's actually 2 million active characters, not accounts. Accounts can have several characters on them.

of which I am sure 90% exist solely in Japan. Last I heard when I quit FFXI, they were consolidating servers due to low player pops.

Hopefully this won't be an unbearable grind fest that requires a 12 hour a day investment, minimum, like the first FF MMO.

And yeah, that too. Grouping being required for everyone but two classes past level 10? Not fucking fun. I don't expect every game to be WoW but give me a break, I can't go out and level without a full party = lolol.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 06:52.

24. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 05:47 NKD

Hopefully this won't be an unbearable grind fest that requires a 12 hour a day investment, minimum, like the first FF MMO.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 04:26 Flatline

It's actually 2 million active characters, not accounts. Accounts can have several characters on them.

True, but every character past the first costs an extra dollar a month.

So that's at *least* 2 mil a month in fees, and significantly more is likely.

22. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 00:19 beigemore

21. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 00:04 Caveman

As of April 2009, the game has 2 million active accounts, pretty damn for a good that's been out since 2002.  

20. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 3, 2009, 00:00 beigemore

FFXI has a small community when compared to wow, but it's a much more tight knit group of players.. even if they aren't players that post on forums, etc, it's just how the game works.

I played FFXI for about 5 years and switched to wow last year due to time issues. I'm really looking forward to FF14, as are a lot of my wow guild mates.

19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 2, 2009, 23:52 Dades

FFXI community (and FF fans in general) currently going ab-so-lutely nuts over this. I predict it's going to do really, really well.

I'm sure it'll do really well with all 50,000 FFXI players

18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 2, 2009, 22:08 Flatline

yea but, from the the comments it seems that the average joe is farming them, instead of a chinese kid in some sweat shop

Well, you need to gil farm for yourself to afford equipment.

He talks about the goddamn game exclusively, so I've heard what happens.

You get your main toon out to where you get good drops for phat loot. You grind until you get some loot that will auction (or will sell via bazaar, which is like a private store run by a toon that stands around somewhere in a high traffic area). You run back to town, mail the loot to your auction toon, who then puts it on sale. While it's standing there, you go back to farm more loot to sell.

My friend was selling these... tome thingies that went for I think he said 200k a pop. Each piece of armor or equipment is really, really expensive (7 or 8 million for a late game kit, including equipment) due to gil farming in all it's incarnations.

So if that 200k drop happens 1% of the time, and it requires 20 or 30 of them to kit out totally, well... you're looking at 2-3000 mobs killed to kit yourself out.

The game is an unbelievable timesink. Major encounters have taken upwards of 18 hours of non-stop, highly coordinated playing to beat. Enough outcry made them tone the bosses down, but you're still talking about 2+ hours to beat one monster, at the end of 2+ weeks of heavily coordinated playing to prepare for and earn that final fight.

17. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 2, 2009, 22:07 Masa

yea but, from the the comments it seems that the average joe is farming them, instead of a chinese kid in some sweat shop

Nobody said only the Chinese do it...like I said, I roomed with a couple of kids who did it to pay their FF XI bill.

16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 2, 2009, 21:53 f13

15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Jun 2, 2009, 21:42 Masa

what is gil? what's the purpose of farming it?

Gil is the currency used in all the Final Fantasy games. And have you heard of gold-farming in WoW? Same thing.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo