Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Demigod Patched

Impulse has details on a new version 1.01 update that's now automatically available for Demigod, Gas Powered Games' recently released action/strategy game. Word is:

The new version of Demigod has focused largely on significantly improving the on-line experience of Demigod based on player feedback.

Version 1.01 includes a host of new features and improvements to the game including:

• Improved on-line connectivity
    • Significantly improved computer AI
    • Better in game detection between those who quit a game versus those who get disconnected
    • Reduced bandwidth requirements
    • More robust storing of online statistics (favor points, achievements, rankings, etc.)
    • Better queuing of player actions in game.
    • Lots of misc. improvements

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 3, 2009, 11:54 Verno

I really doubt that considering the average consumer upload speed is in the US is 512k. They would have realized before launch that it would ensure a vast majority of their potential base could never play anything bigger than 2vs2. Having played in 4vs4 games myself when the game decided to actually work between patch revisions, I can tell you for sure the upload is far less than that considering my max upstream at home is 41KB/s.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 3, 2009, 11:35 sponge

now its upload speeds and I'm sure next week it will be something else

Erm, it WAS upload speed for me. I couldn't play 4v4 or higher because the game was using more than 60KB/s up, which my awful connection currently can't handle.

7. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 3, 2009, 11:32 Verno

They've mentioned that upload speed can really hurt larger games as it pushes a lot of data; they're finding that quite a few people with broadband connections have really poor upload speeds which really hurts in a p2p connection system

This is a load, they blame everything but themselves. First it was European DSL providers, then when it affected the US too it was some crap about ISPs filtering JUST them, now its upload speeds and I'm sure next week it will be something else. Plenty of users on their forums have tried with fresh installs of Vista and XP, no antivirus software, directly connected to their modems and still persist in having major problems. They claimed it must be ISP filtering but one dude actually got access logs from his ISP to prove it wasn't.

Game itself is pretty rough too, lots of bugs and annoyances. No control groups for minions, you have to use their preset UI buttons and hotkeys for things. You can't even click on the minimap to pan the camera there, I mean seriously wtf.

They needed to do a big public beta test and they really need to shitcan the connection issues. They keep saying it's resolved or will be resolved soon but it never is, each patch breaks it for as many people as it fixes. This game will be barren in six months at this rate, it went from 15,000 active users at the sale point to 3500 in under a week.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

6. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 23:49 Dades

I don't know, Dades. I just connected to a 3vs3 in about 7 seconds, which has never happened to me. Something must be going right with this particular patch...

Yep, I had quite a few patches like that too. Then another patch would break it. Their support forums are quite active tonight so I'd say it's more of the same. In terms of content the game isn't outstanding but it's serviceable for what it is. The connection issues is what really killed it for me. They've mentioned moving to a server/client setup in the netcode but it wouldn't be for 6+ months unfortunately so I doubt the game will have many players at that time. Playerbase has been shrinking quite a bit over time, it spikes when they do sales though.

5. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 23:46 D4rkKnight

Needs more content  

4. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 21:02 Bucky

They've mentioned that upload speed can really hurt larger games as it pushes a lot of data; they're finding that quite a few people with broadband connections have really poor upload speeds which really hurts in a p2p connection system. I think the stat that was thrown out was a 35% reduction in upload data. They also believe they've finally squashed all the annoying Demigod 'stuck' problems where a move command had to be issued before you could do anything else.

I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow night to see how things have improved, and then get my ass handed to me online.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 21:04.

3. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 20:39 BurntSoul

I don't know, Dades. I just connected to a 3vs3 in about 7 seconds, which has never happened to me. Something must be going right with this particular patch...  

2. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 20:21 Dades

I got a refund for my copy, every patch seems to break as much as it fixes. Check out their forums sometime, such a disaster. I will say in their favor that they gave me a quick and prompt refund along with an apology. They just need to drop the P2P licensed network library they're using and go back to a traditional host/client setup. It works for most other RTS games quite well, they claimed latency was a problem but that's a load.  

1. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 2, 2009, 20:15 Prez

It's a shame they released the game in such a bad state. It seems the negative buzz has drowned out the positive buzz. I will eventually buy it, but the initial technical problems stopped from doing so right after release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo