Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Trailer & Database

The cinematic Star Wars: The Old Republic "deceived" trailer shown off at E3 today is now available on the official website for the Star Wars MMORPG in development at BioWare at the behest of LucasArts. The clip does not include any gameplay, but a fair degree of badass-ness nonetheless. The Old Republic Website also introduces the HoloNet, an in-game data network that will also be partially available online. Word is: "The HoloNet contains detailed records on classes, planets, factions, and a timeline of Old Republic History."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 22:01 Creston

That's no Malak:

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR).

- Official SWTOR site.

I stand corrected, thank you Sir.

It probably helps if I try to keep up with this sort of stuff. He does LOOK a lot like Malak. I guess Bioware is recycling their art design in an effort to keep costs down...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 20:36 Kxmode

I'm pretty damn sure that's actually just Malak. So it's not LIKE him, it IS him.

That's no Malak:

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR).

- Official SWTOR site.

In the expanded universe Darth Sidious used clones to extend his life. When Vader killed him at Endor his essense/spirit (whatever you wish to call it) floated out into space until to came in contact with one of his clones. And as Palpatine says to Anakin, "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities which some would consider to be... unnatural." 4,000 years ago the Sith would be more powerful and likely able to delve into darker forms of the force. Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume Darth Malek not only survived his encounter but found a way to extend his life...

42. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 19:30 Yifes

I'm pretty damn sure that's actually just Malak. So it's not LIKE him, it IS him.

That's no Malak:

- Official SWTOR site.

41. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 18:00 NKD

SWG was an epic mistake.

They took a setting that was about story, amazing fights, and a war between two factions. This was a good idea.

Then decided that instead of great story, people wanted to wander around a bunch of planets filled with rows of identical homes, with no clear purpose

Then they decided that instead of amazing fights, people wanted to setup camps, or dance in a cantina, or sit in a hospital and buff people all day.

They decided that instead of a war between two factions, people would want to hang out with their friends regardless of faction, so it would be best if you could switch factions virtually at will.

Bioware knows what Star Wars is about. Sony never did. If you're going to make some pointless sandbox game where you have no goals and no story, just a bunch of different shaped plastic shovels, do it with your own shitty IP.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

40. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 17:53 Talisorn

And yes, Bioware just took the crown from Blizzard when it comes amazing cinematic's!
Mythic did that with the WAR trailer .... but this one is pretty damn good as well. Here hoping it's out sooner rather than later ....

39. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 16:25 Fartacus

no, you probably think on spaceships and space fights, but those fighters have to sleep and eat somewhere. They probably also have families some planet living their own thing. If everyone just fights who's left to do the rest?

Yes, but we can sleep, eat, and hang out with our families right here on planet Earth. Those are mundane, every day activities that don't belong in a Star Wars game.

38. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 15:26 f13

That's great because when I think Star Wars, I think suburbs...

no, you probably think on spaceships and space fights, but those fighters have to sleep and eat somewhere. They probably also have families some planet living their own thing. If everyone just fights who's left to do the rest?

37. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 14:37 Fartacus

The cities had suburbs all around them.

That's great because when I think Star Wars, I think suburbs...

Real houses that players built to form blocks and blocks of little communities. You could build starports across the planet then transport to these player made communities.

And that really helps capture the magic of Star Wars...

You could run a store out of your house and spend time decorating it to entice customers to return. You could buy a space yacht and load it full of furniture and your trophies and prizes.

Because what would Star Wars be without well decorated stores?

36. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 14:00 Tumbler

If Bioware is sane, they will use SWG as a checklist for everything to avoid doing in SWTOR. SWG was a complete abomination of a game. Crafting? Really? It's STAR WARS. I want lightsabers, Jedi, and epic battles. Bioware should not spend any time on features such as dancing, playing music, and crafting. They should focus on what is cool about the Star Wars universe, and on what they are good at. The more SWTOR feels like a KOTOR game, the better.

SWG did so many things right that it's unbelievable anyone would call it an abomination. The action side of the game was weak, definitely. The combat wasn't that interesting and they failed to fix that. Considering that is the one activity you can depend on every player doing, it was a stupid oversight.

But all the other parts of SWG were so damn good it boggles the mind why anyone was allowed to wipe the slate clean and start over. The cities had suburbs all around them. Real houses that players built to form blocks and blocks of little communities. You could build starports across the planet then transport to these player made communities. You could run a store out of your house and spend time decorating it to entice customers to return. You could buy a space yacht and load it full of furniture and your trophies and prizes.

The devs, or SOE, or whoever decided to just throw it all away and re-invent the game were morons.

It would make so much more sense to take SWG framework and build on it. Make the combat better, use Warhammer like mini-games to allow people to advance by doing pvp. Have contested areas on the planets where both sides can fight for control.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

35. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 13:33 Creston

Every minute spent on features like crafting, dancing, and music is a minute not spent on a combat system, narrative & storytelling, force powers, and other things that will make it a cool Star Wars game.

I think Bioware can probably walk and chew gum at the same time.

As long as their FOCUS is on the cool stuff, there's nothing wrong with fleshing out your game for the less combat-oriented players. SOE just focused on the wrong stuff.

(Then again, at the time, everyone was sure that all the Star Wars nerds would just jack in and never come out anymore.)

MMO developers need a swift kick in the balls, and I Bioware provides hope of delivering said kick.

I hope so too, I guess we'll see...

Creston

34. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 13:23 Tumbler

Great video clip, I don't see anything about a game here, but would love to see more of the video clip...

I'm surprised people are excited about the game after watching this clip. There is no game in this clip. I like seeing this kind of stuff, it's fun to watch, but when it comes to spending money on this game I'm no closer to that now than I was before I watched the clip...

We going to have fully destructable terrain? I think not. We going to be able to fly drop ships? Do we get to have an army of Jedi? Or are those all players? This clip doesn't tell us anything about the game.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 13:24.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

33. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 12:51 Fartacus

There is nothing wrong with having it IN there, I mean, some people want to play Star Wars and pretend to be Sy Noodles and the Modal Tones.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. No one who watched Star Wars thought to themselves "Wow, that movie was so awesome. I want to be Sy Noodles and the Modal Tones". Every minute spent on features like crafting, dancing, and music is a minute not spent on a combat system, narrative & storytelling, force powers, and other things that will make it a cool Star Wars game. I really hope Bioware ditches the standard MMO feature checklist. MMO developers need a swift kick in the balls, and I Bioware provides hope of delivering said kick.

32. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 12:30 Creston

Am I the only one that watched the trailer and thought:
Wow, that looks like Darth Vader without the full mask.

Timeframe wise, I believe this is set right as Malak and Revan return from the Starforge with a Sith fleet and unleash their attack on the republic. The events of the first KOTOR happen a few years after that.

Shit, I'm gonna go replay KOTOR. I want to kick me some Sith ass.

Creston

31. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 12:25 Creston

Crafting? Really? It's STAR WARS. I want lightsabers, Jedi, and epic battles. Bioware should not spend any time on features such as dancing, playing music, and crafting.

There is nothing wrong with having it IN there, I mean, some people want to play Star Wars and pretend to be Sy Noodles and the Modal Tones. That's fine. It's when SOE focused every single bit of attention ON the crafting system, to the detriment of other classes which were just plain broken, that shit started going haywire. I found it particularly galling that the whole music system worked on launch day, but actual combat was fucked. Priorities, fellas? Oh wait, this is SOE we're talking about...

But I agree, this MMORPG should be about Sith vs the Republic and kick ass battles. They wisely choose their timeframe so there are no canon issues with thousands of Jedi running around, so let's have some big lightsaber parties.

That trailer is about 30 different kinds of awesome. Sadly the game will of course be nothing like this.

Creston

30. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 11:55 Kxmode

When you're being chased by a dozen Jedi you have no time to dance!

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 11:55.

29. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 11:21 Fartacus

If Bioware is sane, they will use SWG as a checklist for everything to avoid doing in SWTOR. SWG was a complete abomination of a game. Crafting? Really? It's STAR WARS. I want lightsabers, Jedi, and epic battles. Bioware should not spend any time on features such as dancing, playing music, and crafting. They should focus on what is cool about the Star Wars universe, and on what they are good at. The more SWTOR feels like a KOTOR game, the better.  

28. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 07:11 InBlack

Z9000 this game is made for the mainstream masses.

So in one word...."No"

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 06:05 Z9000

I am on the same wavelength as eDave. The one thing I loved about SWG was well, everything about it's crafting system (especially resource aquisition). It was amazing, even the bad. It's the one thing I miss from SWG after leaving when they ruined it.

Which begs the question, what kind of a system will this game have and will it be as satisfying and deep as something like SWG/EVE.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 06:07.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

26. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 03:37 Kxmode

There's plenty of gameplay trailers at http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers. Check out Developer Dispatch: The Making of Tython.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 03:40.

25. Re: The Old Republic Trailer & Database Jun 2, 2009, 03:29 Jerykk

Are you all serious? It's a trailer. It's suppose to get you excited. Are you excited? You are? Well great!

No, not really. It's an awesome video but it has nothing to do with the actual game. It's like a Subway commercial getting me excited about the iPhone.

uThe fact that they're in the mindset that a bad guy has to be part cyborg worries me, makes me think "one track mind" when it comes to story.

Star Wars and Bioware have always had a one track mind. Jedi = good. Sith = evil. Jedi = lots of colors. Sith = black and red. Jedi = natural. Sith = cyborg. Moral ambiguity is not a strength of SW or Bioware.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 03:32.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo