Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Matrix Online to End

A post to the Sony Station Forums announces that Matrix Online will go dark on July 31, ending the run for this ambitious MMORPG that tied-in to the Matrix series of sci-fi movies (thanks Patrik). There is a FAQ about this that basically answers "no" to the inevitable questions about whether it will be possible for fans to set up servers to keep the game going, and they also outline how existing subscriptions will be handled after players take their blue pills:

As of June 1, 2009 any currently entitled active player with an account in billing will not be billed again. For players who have previously purchased prepaid subscription time via a multi-month subscription service, SOE game time card or other retail game time card that extends the service period past June 1, 2009, SOE will refund these accounts for the unused time and where indicated will mail refund checks to the current billing address on the account. Please be sure to update your email and physical address in your Station Account as this will be critical to the refund process.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Matrix Online to End May 30, 2009, 19:45 Evil Timmy

I like the idea of opening up these servers after the game closes down...all those licenses for proprietary software could simply be covered by ongoing advertising and dealt with by some branch of the publisher with minimal maintenance. The devs/pubs should make it clear it's their creation but no longer under their control. The community provides the servers, the involved companies generate goodwill and interest in their future works, and the players get to keep enjoying the game. There could even be officially designated handover servers run by trustworthy pillars of the community, where experienced players could keep their years of work via a dump of the official character data. Seems like a win all around.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Matrix Online to End May 30, 2009, 13:01 wtf_man

There are other MMOs that failed miserably but in terms of hype, expectations, and fanfare Matrix Online achieved a level of epic fail that, in my humble opinion, makes it the worse of them. A close second would be Hellgate: London. A close third Tabula Rasa. A distant fourth: Vanguard.

Dark and Light isn't in my list of fails because nobody was really watching it when it launched except hardcore fans. And it launched with no real fanfare that I can remember.

Ok, I wasn't going by hype and fanfare. I was going by bad design, lack of content, bugs (unplayability), imbalance, and repetitiveness.

You know... things that really make a game suck.

That said, Monolith's engines have always been sub-par. They did manage to squeeze out a few decent games (AVP, NOLF, FEAR, etc.) but the track record of their tech has never been really good.

To use Lithtech in something as complex as an MMO was a train-wreck waiting to happen. (And it happened)

Why SOE salvages crap MMOs is beyond me. I mean I know it's to enhance their Station Pass selection, but I don't see how it can be all that profitable, which is why they are killing MXO. My point is it was dumb to pick it up in the first place.

49. Re: Matrix Online to End May 30, 2009, 09:51 WinterMuteAu

i really liked the matrix online, at least during it's warner brothers run

Fully agreed, that damned combat 'upgrade' just farking nurfed a great combat system into button mashing.

But it is sad to see, but I figgured SOE agreed to keep MxO online for 3-4 years so they could get their hands onto the DC online license (and possibly other things, we'll never really know.)

It sad I have been proven correct, hence goes another different(read non-WoW) MMO that could have been something with more support. Enjoy MMO Heaven and tell Auto Assault I said Hi.

48. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 23:48 Kxmode

There are other MMOs that failed miserably but in terms of hype, expectations, and fanfare Matrix Online achieved a level of epic fail that, in my humble opinion, makes it the worse of them. A close second would be Hellgate: London. A close third Tabula Rasa. A distant fourth: Vanguard.

Dark and Light isn't in my list of fails because nobody was really watching it when it launched except hardcore fans. And it launched with no real fanfare that I can remember.

47. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 19:20 NKD

Point is, I think your comment "SOE spectacularly ruins their own games" is unfounded, especially considering 2 of the games you listed wasn't even their game.

I have to agree. SOE's worst games are the ones they've saved from their demise. These games were already doomed and SOE saved them to engender loyalty from their fanbases, nothing more. It's also cheaper to buy someone elses work that is going to die than it is to invest with such risk into a new Triple A MMO (EverQuest 3 for example).

EQ2 may have been overshadowed by WoW in numbers but it is a superb MMO in its own right. It has incredible depth, and a really friendly and mature player base. It has so much more content than WoW, and a lot more depth and variety in gameplay. When I was playing EQ2 I never ran into a single 12-year old dipshit acting like an e-Gangsta. The people I met there were largely older, in their 30s+, and many couples were playing as well.

While I am confident SOE could put together an impressive "EverQuest 3", I think SOE is going to find a very powerful niche in the market with their new focus on casual/microtransaction games designed for all ages.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

46. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 17:55 Dades

If anyone thinks this was the worst MMO ever made then they're clearly a fool that's ignored the many other shitty MMOs launched over the past five years.

First...SoE did NOT make Matrix Online. Monolith made this turd. SoE saved it from being shut down four years back. They added it to their collection to add more value to the Station Access Pass.

Yeah, I was just about to point that out. Sony bought this long after it was already in trouble.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2009, 18:16.

45. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 16:31 Krovven

SOE spectacularly ruins their own games (PlanetSide, Infantry Online) and can't even make decent games with popular licenses (The Matrix, Star Wars).

First...SoE did NOT make Matrix Online. Monolith made this turd. SoE saved it from being shut down four years back. They added it to their collection to add more value to the Station Access Pass.

Second, SoE did not make Infantry Online either...again they picked it up to bolster the Station Access with free to play games.

Planetside, how did they ruin it? Honestly I haven't played since Beta and can't say the game held any interest for me then, let alone now. Keeping it alive this long is an accomplishment in itself if you ask me. So how was it ruined exactly when they "could" have shut it down about a year after release?

Star Wars Galaxies...crappy game, but thousands loved it, even though they tried to redesign so many times.

Everquest I & II, it's easy to say they have failed with EQ after the game has been out for over 10 years. Fact is Everquest was one of the better and most populated MMO's for their time. Have their numbers fallen off? Of course, everyones has with World of Warcraft dominating the MMO market. I will say that I've heard from more than a few people (that play a lot of MMO's) that EQ2 is one of the best MMORPG's available.

Vanguard...another game they saved from being dead and buried. As far as I'm concerned they can only be applauded for saving games that otherwise would be a memory. The games faults can hardly be attributed to SoE, as they have been trying to fix a very broken and unfinished game.

Free Realms, which is new, just passed 2 million accounts. Seems they have found a market with kids and women.

The Agency, a new action MMO...looks like it might be good. Time will tell.

Point is, I think your comment "SOE spectacularly ruins their own games" is unfounded, especially considering 2 of the games you listed wasn't even their game.

44. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 16:07 wtf_man

Worse MMO ever made

I don't know... I can think of a few (like Dark and Light for example) that are probably worse than MXO. But yeah, it does rank in the top 10 of "the worst".

I'm talking commercially launched here... not the hundreds of Korean "Free to Play" pieces of crap out there.

43. Re: midgets on the way May 29, 2009, 15:57 space captain

im getting out the video camera and incense  
Go forth, and kill!

42. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 15:51 Mead

Wow, you can almost feel the sexual tension in the thread now.  

41. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 15:43 Kxmode

Post some content son.

5,284 total posts since September 24, 2003, and not all of them one-liner posts.

Does your initial post have anything to do with my comment about buying a $3,700 laptop to enjoy BioShock in full resolution with maximum setting, or are you having a bad day at work/school/etc.?

This comment was edited on May 29, 2009, 15:44.

40. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 15:40 nin

You been feelin' alright lately Verno? When you first came around, you seemed pretty laid back. Lately, you've been a bit... ornery, if you don't mind me saying.

He's an asshole, put him on the filter and be done with it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 15:35 Prez

You been feelin' alright lately Verno? When you first came around, you seemed pretty laid back. Lately, you've been a bit... ornery, if you don't mind me saying.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 14:55 Hyatus

I still have yet to see an MMO that was still fun after the first month. Maybe Champions will be. Who knows? I can't stand mindless repetition in my single player games, why would I pay for it monthly?  

37. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 14:34 Verno

I don't know, do all of your one-liner posts where you do something similar make you feel better? Post some content son.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

36. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 14:03 Kxmode

Worst poster on Bluesnews meets worst MMO ever conceived, match made in heaven.

Does that comment make you feel better about yourself?

35. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 14:00 Kxmode

I don't understand why when a MMO dies publishers don't just make the game public domain. If some fool wants to run a server I don't see the harm in it.

Because the IP is owned by Warner Brothers.

34. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 13:58 Kxmode

Also, we need a new and real MMOFPS.. something with depth, not like Planetside.

There's Huxley

33. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 13:58 Verno

worst MMO ever made

Worst poster on Bluesnews meets worst MMO ever conceived, match made in heaven.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

32. Re: Matrix Online to End May 29, 2009, 13:56 Kxmode

Worse MMO ever made  

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo