Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 Trailer

GameTrailers.com has an E3 trailer for Mass Effect 2 that may not answer all the storyline questions about BioWare's upcoming RPG sequel, but does offer a couple of glimpses of gameplay. It's starting to sound more and more like Shepard is about as dead as Snake Pliskin.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 12:48 Verno

Yeah exactly Creston. God forbid someone enjoy the latest Mario game or something, you can't like classic PC games then too!! It has to be one or the other! People are stupid.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 12:34 Creston

Except he's played Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate. He's probably played Fallout 1/2 as well. That's why people are so confused as to why he likes Mass Effect so much.

Yes, because God forbid someone likes a game that you don't.

"YOU DO NOT LIKE TEH SAME GAMEZ AS I D0??!! YOU R NOT TEH TRUE GAMER!!!!!"

Rolleyes

Creston

48. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 11:30 Verno

Its still time invested in the development. Time that would have been much better spent for real content. But instead they put it in there and even left it in the PC version, because the xbox disc was full and the people who made them great didnt deserve better content than the limited consoles. Woohoo.

An intern could work on achievements considering most of them are based on set criteria easily defined in variables of gameplay. Really poor excuse for your attitude about them. Do you visit arcades and bitch about high scores too? Does the leaderboard in most PC fps games bother you? Do you work yourself up into a frothing rage frequently over things that do not affect you in the slightest way?

I actually see most of the console games and play them too. I have 2 young nephews, you know.

No, you probably see lots of Gears of War and GTA type games that most younger adults play and not much else.

I dont want them to read my mind, I just want them to produce games that can actually be called PC games. That wasnt such a huge deal a few years ago, but now all we see is console ports and it is a very huge problem, and no I am not the only one who looks at it this way. If youre a long time blues user you should know that... oh wait youre pretty new.

Oh snap what an insult, I'm not "old school" like you on this site! You go girl. You do realize Dragon Age is being released, right? And again for the third time, this was never a PC game. It was an Xbox game. There was a demand for a port so they made one much later.

I dont know how old you are, but I doubt you have ever seen real PC games in your life and thats why I tend to label you as a child.

You don't seem to be able to do much but insult consoles and other people so I'm not sure you're the one who gets question someone else's age around here. My first computer predated the 386, I've played everything from Space Quest and Zork to Daggerfall and new age games. So shove it where the sun don't shine with your "kiddy" labels and bullshit. Make a sensible argument not based on "YOU LITTLE WHIPPERSNAPPERS WITH YOUR NINTENDOZ AND ACHIEVEMENTS!!!" or pipe down. The "back in my day" bullshit is amusing but old and played out. I remember old PC games too but that has nothing to do with Mass Effect which was never intended to be Baldur's Gate 3: In Space.

Youre talking about me imagining too much? Why do you tell me then that I should imagine what would have happened if it wouldnt have been released on the PC?

I have no idea what this even means or what you're attempting to say.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 11:43.

47. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 11:05 Muscular Beaver

Its still time invested in the development. Time that would have been much better spent for real content. But instead they put it in there and even left it in the PC version, because the xbox disc was full and the people who made them great didnt deserve better content than the limited consoles. Woohoo.

I actually see most of the console games and play them too. I have 2 young nephews, you know.

I dont want them to read my mind, I just want them to produce games that can actually be called PC games. That wasnt such a huge deal a few years ago, but now all we see is console ports and it is a very huge problem, and no I am not the only one who looks at it this way. If youre a long time blues user you should know that... oh wait youre pretty new.

I dont know how old you are, but I doubt you have ever seen real PC games in your life and thats why I tend to label you as a child. Otherwise you wouldnt be talking such nonsense.
The games I am "imagining" have been there before.

Youre talking about me imagining too much? Why do you tell me then that I should imagine what would have happened if it wouldnt have been released on the PC?
Seriously, your logic is fucked up and youre a hypocrite.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

46. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 10:51 Verno

I wouldnt have missed it, because of that end.
Anyways I am sorry if I insulted you, but you paid it back to me already I see. Very mature. So somehow its still fitting, it seems.
I only remember my childhood and my friends back then and that was the only time when we liked brainless achievements like that. We even created them for ourselves to see who was better. If you can keep yourself entertained by something like that... alright. But its still a stupid addition to PC games. No matter if a port or not. It simply feels like a gap filler. A very cheap gap filler.

Again, no one forces you to do achievements. It's a choice and not one that applies to you if you don't want it to. Achievements can be really interesting (kill X boss with Y method) or really lame(kill pigs 1000 times), it all depends on implementation. Your argument against them seems to be "well I dont like them". Well allow to me respond by saying: tough shit. You know what's childish? Thinking that everything in life should be the way you want it to be. That's both childish and selfish.

My opinion is still that consoles are kiddy tools. I have no respect for them and I have yet to find a single game on them that would have me seriously interested for a longer time.

I doubt you've spent any serious time with them then. There are plenty of great console games and yes quite a few stinkers too. It's like any other gaming platform in that capacity, the PC included.

Seriously, if there wasnt such a huge difference, I would play console games. But I dont. Even PC games that feel like console games because they are a port are not bought by me. Regrettably those are getting more and more. Mass Effect was a real downer for me because it looked so fucking promising and then in the middle of the game without warning (though I had my suspicions but hoped that Bioware wouldnt be that audacious) I got a shovel in my face by Bioware.
I am still mad and that game is long sold again.

That's all great and wonderful for you but plenty of people enjoyed Mass Effect for what it was instead of what it was not. The developers aren't inside your brain and probably don't read minds either. Perhaps you can produce your copy of the agreement with Bioware that they only make the games you want them to make, I wouldn't mind seeing it. You seem to be full of "imagine what it could have been!" but I could say that about any game in any genre. Imagine Splinter Cell with sidequests! Imagine Planescape Torment with the Crysis engine! Imagine imagine imagine! You label me a child and call console gamers childish but you seem to be the one spending all the time in fantasy mode.

45. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 10:43 Muscular Beaver

I wouldnt have missed it, because of that end.
Anyways I am sorry if I insulted you, but you paid it back to me already I see. Very mature. So somehow its still fitting, it seems.
I only remember my childhood and my friends back then and that was the only time when we liked brainless achievements like that. We even created them for ourselves to see who was better. If you can keep yourself entertained by something like that... alright. But its still a stupid addition to PC games. No matter if a port or not. It simply feels like a gap filler. A very cheap gap filler.

My opinion is still that consoles are kiddy tools. I have no respect for them and I have yet to find a single game on them that would have me seriously interested for a longer time.
I know we are all pressing buttons, but its the way we press them and especially the content makes a huge difference. Imagine Mass Effect with real PC-like content and gameplay. It would have been much more challenging and would have actually been right at the side of baldurs gate in my all time best RPGs book.
Seriously, if there wasnt such a huge difference, I would play console games. But I dont. Even PC games that feel like console games because they are a port are not bought by me. Regrettably those are getting more and more. Mass Effect was a real downer for me because it looked so fucking promising and then in the middle of the game without warning (though I had my suspicions but hoped that Bioware wouldnt be that audacious) I got a shovel in my face by Bioware.
I am still mad and that game is long sold again.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 10:45.

- Mojo Jojo

44. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 09:24 Verno

Achievements are entirely optional and you're free to ignore them if you don't want to do them. Some of us like pursuing them because certain achievements can be genuinely challenging and fun to attain. The only childishness is in your post calling people who play consoles "kiddies". Someone is doing something I don't like, I must attack them for PC GAMER = SUPERIOR HUMAN BEING!!! Guess what, we're all pressing buttons or pushing keys to play games dipshit.

And by the way, Mass Effect wasn't a PC game. It was an Xbox360 game that got a PC port. Be grateful you got one at all, if it had been a PS3 game you probably never would've seen it.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 10:36.

43. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 04:44 Muscular Beaver

I fucking loved Mass Effect. The music, the atmosphere, the characters, the story, THE GALAXY MAP. That is up until I was confronted with the end of the story after only 15 hours. Wow, I got so mad back then. IMO they destroyed so much potential with such a short story. After a few months I loaded a mid-game save and started doing all side missions. God they were so boring and all looked the same. I was happy that I played it the first time without most of them, because I doubt I would have completed the game if I did them back then.

The game was also far too easy from about 50% of the plot. At that point you could just run and gun. I dont want to imagine what would have happened if I spent more time leveling character and equipment in the side missions. God, I guess I would have sent hate mails to Bioware.

Make Mass Effect 2 a true PC game with a long story (at least 50 hours of game) nice and varied side missions which are also connected to the main story, many places to explore and this game will be one of the best games ever. Oh and remove those idiotic childish achievements for console kiddies. Yeah its cheap "content", but it also makes a game look indeed very cheap and uninspired.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 04:52.

- Mojo Jojo

42. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 1, 2009, 12:00 Verno

I really don't think Mass Effect was supposed to considered hilarious or over the top. The music had a distinct Blade Runner influence and Blade Runner wasn't exactly a cheesy summer movie.

I meant over the top like a musical score for a sci-genre film. It's epic and interesting but manages to ramp up the tempo when it calls for it. It's fun basically, like the game.

Speaking of PST, if any game deserves to be remade, PST does. Imagine PST with Mass Effect production values and full voice acting. *drools*

I don't really want another PS:T, I don't think anyone could do it justice. It would inevitably be a letdown. You need to stop living the past bud.

41. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 31, 2009, 12:48 Prez

Wow. You really have not played a lot of RPG's. Mostly coming from the fact you called Mass Effect a RPG

Not knowing your history, I can't say anything for sure, but I think it is highly likely that I've played more PC RPG's than you have. And yep, I've played the Fallouts. EDIT: And the Ultimas. And the Might and Magics. And the Elder Scolls. And the Wizardry's. And just about every AD&D PC RPG. And let's not forget the Quest for Glory's and the Krondor's.

As to whether Mass Effect is an "RPG", I'll leave that to detail-obsessed genre nerds. I just know I enjoyed the hell out of it. I know I lose all of my l33+ street cred because I profess to liking something less than 10 years old in a day when your only cool if you hate everything, but that's okay. I'll find some other way to carry on.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2009, 12:57.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 31, 2009, 02:04 Jerykk

You really have not played a lot of RPG's. Mostly coming from the fact you called Mass Effect a RPG.

Except he's played Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate. He's probably played Fallout 1/2 as well. That's why people are so confused as to why he likes Mass Effect so much.

Speaking of PST, if any game deserves to be remade, PST does. Imagine PST with Mass Effect production values and full voice acting. *drools*

Mass Effect was enjoyable because it knew exactly what it was and played to it well, the over the top music scores were hilarious and fun at the same time.

I really don't think Mass Effect was supposed to considered hilarious or over the top. The music had a distinct Blade Runner influence and Blade Runner wasn't exactly a cheesy summer movie.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2009, 02:09.

39. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 31, 2009, 00:31 necrosis

I'm an unapologetic PC gamer, but for my money, Mass Effect was one of the best RPG's I've ever played on any system (Thank God it came out on PC, since I don't own a console).
Wow. You really have not played a lot of RPG's. Mostly coming from the fact you called Mass Effect a RPG.

38. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 13:37 Yifes

It was supposed to be a serious take on cheesy 70's/80's sci-fi like Star Wars

That just makes it worse. A serious take on cheese just further highlights the cheesiness and the flaws. The only way you can do cheese properly is through a comedic spoof, like Austin Powers. Or you can go the "so bad it's good" route. Yes the game was enjoyable, but in the same way as a big budget brainless summer action blockbuster is enjoyable.

The story, the production values, the strong characters you actually cared about...

And the characters were just mediocre. I mean tough alien mercenary? Weird alien scientist chick with psy powers? Do they even come close to Morte, Minsc or HK47? I suspect the only reason why some people think the characters were great is due to the excellent animations and the quality of the fully intergrated voice acting. Seeing such well realized NPCs is memorable, and it's less work for the imagination I suppose.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2009, 13:48.

37. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 10:18 Dades

Mass Effect had the most contrived sci-fi story imaginable. The only thing they can do to make it worse is add fucking time travel to the sequel.

That was really the point though. It was supposed to be a serious take on cheesy 70's/80's sci-fi like Star Wars which I thought would've been pretty obvious from naming the villains "The Reapers". Mass Effect was enjoyable because it knew exactly what it was and played to it well, the over the top music scores were hilarious and fun at the same time.

36. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 05:57 Jerykk

Age of Decadence is an indie CRPG with tons of potential. It draws clear inspiration from Fallout both in terms of its turn-based combat and in its open-ended nature. In fact, it looks like it might be even more open-ended.

I gave Drakensang a try but the camera system was horrible. That, and the setting/story were completely uninspired.

35. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 03:08 PHJF

Well if all you play are blockbusters like Mass Effect of course you will be jaded. There are still enough intermittent good low key games to keep the industry open to me. If you want a good traditional RPG, check out Drakensang released a short bit ago. Plays like an AD&D game but it's based out of some German tabletop ruleset.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 00:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Mass Effect 1 wasn't terribly good to begin with, so I can't say my expectations are very high for the sequel. I think the only part I really enjoyed was the credit music. I think I'm just burned out on gaming. It used to be that individual games were unique, and different genres offered radically different experiences. Now, with games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, the only difference between a shooter and an RPG is dialogue and an inventory. The creative spark of the gaming industry is just gone; games look the same, play the same, and tell the same stories -- I'm looking at you, Bioware, who has yet to find a plot or character you couldn't recycle. I never thought this would happen, but I really don't like video games that much anymore.  

33. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 22:16 Prez

You'll burn in RPG hell, heathen.

LOL! I was waiting for someone to take me to task for my blasphemy.

The story, the production values, the strong characters you actually cared about... all of it meshed into what was for me one of the most exciting rpg experiences I've ever had. Sorry!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 22:07 Kosumo

I don't care what anybody says.

So let me get this right, everyone dose not care what anybody says %}

31. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 20:46 Yifes

Mass Effect had the most contrived sci-fi story imaginable.

QFT. The story was completely forgettable. The production values are pretty much the only thing great about ME. You can find better gameplay in any of the dozen of recently released shooters for consoles/pc.

Altogether a good experience, but does not come close to being a classic.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2009, 20:53.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo