Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Update

Steam News has details on a new update that's now automatically available for Team Fortress 2, Valve's teamplay shooter. The new version fixes Ambassador critical hits for headshots, tweaks the Dead Ringer, makes server log improvements, and fixes a couple of bugs, including a pee-jar crashing problem (yum!).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 28, 2009, 05:43 Zephalephelah

Sorry Jason, you're just gonna have to QQ your tears because Valve isn't going to change it for you.

Poor kid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 28, 2009, 00:59 Jason

I decided that patience was going to be my best

Its much like waiting for a bus, except that you don't know what the timetable is, and you might have missed the last one (ie the non-zero probability that the random number generator will never roll in your favour).

As overon pointed out in his well-written post, it is a good system for the new players

The only reason there are new players is that there are old players to play with. New players can just ask and recieve a bag full of doubled up weapons as it is, and it would have made sense to make the system give new things only to people, and just slow the drop rate as the user got more of the drops. I wouldn't care if it was 8 hours for the last drops, as long as it wasn't UNBOUNDED

16. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 28, 2009, 00:49 Jason

While I agree that the system needs some tweaking, anything is better than achievement grinding.

The only tweaks that the system needs is removing, along with firing the clown that came up with it. We've had a user on an afk server 24x7 and he still doesn't have a second fucking huntsman. Amongst 4 of us playing, only 1 of us has got an item he was interested in, and thats probably 50 hours of gameplay time...

Achievements were fine whilst they could be done pre-round, or in the course of usual play, or only needed to happen once.

Where valve fucked up was making you do 20 of something or 50 of something that just doesn't happen that often, or 1000 of something that does happen, but is pointlessly easy. Doing something for the second time is NOT an achievement.

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 17:21 Kosumo

But Zeph, don't you feel like Valve owes you! I'm worried about your lack of Rage QQ over this. I think you understanding of things maybe getting in the way of flying off the handle.  

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 16:56 Zephalephelah

The Unlocks are fun for me because I refuse to get on the same bandwagon as most of you and cry like a little girl. Once I realized what the new system entailed, I decided that patience was going to be my best friend and that eventually I'd get the things I want.

So after getting a 2nd force of Nature, 2 sandviches, and the Sandman again; I got the Ambassador, Huntsman, and Cloak & Dagger. While the new toys are interesting, they aren't really all that much better; except for the Cloak & Dagger watch which is really fun. But the game was fun without them before and instead of crying and wanting so much, I just played whatever class I wanted and eventually I got stuff. Not a big deal really.

As overon pointed out in his well-written post, it is a good system for the new players. Valve is interested in making money, so more new players is a good thing for their free weekends, etc.

But you know, whenever I got something new I felt really good about it. Sometimes wanting something and having to wait pays off. If you get everything you want, then I don't see that as entertaining. For me, just thinking about the Summertime when it's been cold all winter long is part of the fun of summer. The anticipation of it is half the fun. This is no different. Speaking of summer, it's nice out; bye

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 14:55 RP

Best solution: Make all the unlockables instantly available to all. An FPS is not an MMO and doesn't have to rely on loot to keep people playing. Valve should have more faith in the core gameplay of TF2 because that's what keeps people playing, not unlockables.

Damn right! CS has more players than TF2 and L4D combined, yet it doesn't receive huge infusions of new content from Valve. The point is not that new content is bad, but that a good game is ultimately what keeps people playing.

In TF2's case, the new updates are designed to drive sales and advertise the game. I sure don't think the unlocks actually make TF2 a better game. I prefer my FPS games without jars of piss and third-person snare spells.

Payload is incredibly awesome, though, and I thank Valve for that brilliant gameplay mode. Just allow servers to prohibit unlocks if they want. Best of both worlds.

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 12:15 Jerykk

Best solution: Make all the unlockables instantly available to all. An FPS is not an MMO and doesn't have to rely on loot to keep people playing. Valve should have more faith in the core gameplay of TF2 because that's what keeps people playing, not unlockables.  

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 10:04 Overon

There are pros and cons to Valve's current unlock approach. Valve is trying to sell more TF2 that's why they have the free weekends. Furthermore, making drops totally random allows peopele who are new to TF2 to get drops faster than by grinding and having it tied to achievements. The new players appreciate it. The other pro is that you don't have everyone playing the spy or sniper like you had for the other class updates.

However the older players are not so happy. Mostly because they already have everything and they want to get the new stuff. Sometimes they are getting old stuff since it does not matter what you have unlocked previously. And they really don't like the randomness aspect. The unlocks are not tied to how well you are doing, they are not tied to how well your team is doing. You can get them by playing and you can get them just by spectating. Those that thought achievement servers were a thing of the past, they are partially right, they are just unlock servers where people idle or spec for hours and they get unlocks without actually having to play the game.

I think the pendulum has swung too far to the other side. One one side, grinding to get achievements in order to get unlocks, many of the grinding did not benefit the team play TF2 is supposed to have. The other side total randomness with no influence on how well you or your team plays or even if you are playing (you get them for specing or idling). These unlocks have to be tied to some objective performance metric and not total randomness.

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 08:11 osage no onna

It really is nonsensical to make it completely random. Not that I liked having it tied to achievements, but if there is absolutely no control over what you'll get, then there's no reason not to just give everything to everyone right off the bat. If they implement some sort of a system that allows you to work towards specific items or even specific class' items, that'd be fine by me.  

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 08:00 Veinman

I'm glad that the items are not tied to playing specific classes anymore. It lets you play the class you want or is needed. I've played about 5 hours, and got the Dead Ringer, the Back Burner, and 2 Kritzkriegs. I really want the cloak and dagger and the huntsman.  

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 07:36 necrosis

While I agree that the system needs some tweaking, anything is better than achievement grinding.
No anything is NOT better. Dumb fucking luck is THE WORST SYSTEM PERIOD. You can not make anything worse than this. If you say otherwise you have obviously never played a MMO.

With achievements you at least have some control over what you get and how long it takes you to get it. With the current 'drop' system every 30 min you have a random chance in getting something, then on top of that you have a random chance in getting something you actually want.

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 06:13 Zephalephelah

Nice post n0slet.  

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 04:23 InterFaced

MMO random loot drop generator = worst possible update to a FPS.

5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 02:15 mag

12 hours or more, here, and I finally got my first drop! I got... a Natasha, which I already had. Yay.  

4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 01:02 n0slet

Yeah I wish they would have put something in so if you had an item already it would give you something you didn't have. This type of thing would have been better if all the class packs were in when the game first came out so you were always getting alot of new stuff you didn't have but given most of the server population already had 90% of the items in the game already it's pretty silly. Supposedly the dupes you get can be used to trade off for other stuff but trouble is no one will want them as 90% of everyone already has them. Now if what I read someplace was true and they implement the random items like say a different version of blautslauger that has a small crit chance and gives you back 1hp per needle instead of 3, that type of thing building an ideal weapon pack for your classes via trades might make some more sense.

All in all though I don't like the new system. It's too much like an MMO to me, and while MMO's are ok imo, the type of stuff that is done in them has no place whatsoever in a fast paced FPS game. It's not a terrible idea, it's just not implemented very well imo. But I'll reserve total damnation of it until they put in all the other random stuff that can drop like hats and random weapon types if they do.

That being said it's all tied to how much you play. Some people are going to get unlucky, but so far I've put 36 hours of play time in since the patch came out and I have Ambassador, Huntsman, Cloak and Dagger, Jarate. Only thing I'm missing is the shield and other spy watch. I've been pretty lucky, but I don't know many folks who haven't gotten at least a 2-3 of the new unlocks if they played a decent amount, like at least 2-3 hours a day, arguably not everyone has that much time, but they will come in time to those who don't as well, just sucks in the meantime. =(

My one hope is that they implement some sort of out of game trading so you can browse what people have for trade or the like similiar to the bazaar in wow. I really don't want to see dozens of WTT +1 crit huntsman for +4 heal blutslauger or the like the entire time I play, and it'd be much more interesting then trading with a limited group of friends, I doubt it'll happen though.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2009, 01:06.

3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 27, 2009, 00:52 Jason

MMO random loot drop generator = worst possible update to a FPS.

Anyone want a natasha. I have 4. Matter of fact I've since recieved every heavy, medic and pyro weapon + the scout weapon I'd already unlocked.

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 26, 2009, 22:59 Caveman

Still no new unlocks. WTB Jarate and Huntsman. PST

www.freegold.com

1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update May 26, 2009, 21:48 Silicon Avatar

I wish Bethesda was this quick with its fixes for Fallout 3...  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo