Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dev Coasts Soar

The Interview with Krome's Robert Walsh on Develop highlights the increasing cost of game development: "I think that’s one thing that the press, to a certain extent, is forgetting. They’re saying sales have increased over ten percent since last year or whatever; I mean, dev costs have probably doubled or tripled in the console transition. To go back to the PS2 days, not too many people were making ten million dollar PS2 games." Thanks GameBizBlog. On a semi-related note, the results of The Develop Quality of Life Survey are now online.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Dev Coasts Soar May 27, 2009, 15:47 Tumbler

Meh. Devs/Pubs are just getting used to all the new competition in the market. Used to be a time when you could pour 5-10 million into a game and depend on it making a lot more than that with sales. Buyers have more choices and better access to information about your products. Means that selling your product is going to be harder. Live and learn.

No one is forcing you to spend obscene amounts of money to make below average games that look really good... Hell average games won't even get you a good return. There is so much competition now you need an above average game just to break even.

I picked up facebreaker for the Wii at target for $5. Brutal market out there, I love it! Now make me some more games you damn lazy developers. I need MORE MORE MORE!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Dev Coasts Soar May 26, 2009, 22:44 Masa

You might want to try hiring real project managers with real skills, and learning how to set and keep deadlines.

Georgy Broussard should hire you to be his coach

I have worked in the private sector long enough to know that these simple things can go along way in helping reduce costs in virtually every project

Or if you do as my company did, offset whatever qualitative gains made by hiring a PM who costs twice as much.

This new guy is pretty good, impressive résumé and a great team player, and will vouch for his employees when/if they mess up. It's just the guy likes his toys. I walked into my office last week and found a package with all new dictionaries, a translation computer, a new netbook, and a notice telling me to collect my "new" Blackberry. WTF? I like what this new PM is trying to do, but I'm afraid the company will figure out he's costing them too much money.

3. Re: Dev Coasts Soar May 26, 2009, 22:17 Wildone

Well I've worked in the games bizz and your 100% right, good project managers are very hard to find and you see the same ineptness repeat itself over & over again at different company's..  

2. Re: Dev Coasts Soar May 26, 2009, 20:27 Prez

Cry me a river. Everything in every facet of business costs more. It sucks, but we deal with it. May I suggest starting by doing away with the ridiculous excess every project is riddled with? You might want to try hiring real project managers with real skills, and learning how to set and keep deadlines. I have never worked in the games industry, but I have worked in the private sector long enough to know that these simple things can go along way in helping reduce costs in virtually every project, regardless of which industry it is.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Dev Coasts Soar May 26, 2009, 19:45 Nate

"Costs" not "Coasts".  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo