Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tim Sweeney Interview

From The Past To The Future- Tim Sweeney Talks on Gamasutra is an extensive interview with the Technical Director and CEO of Epic Games about his background and his work. Some of the specifics covered include his early days as a hobbyist programmer, the Origins of ZZT and Epic, his education, his BBS, Xargon, Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, shareware publishing, their entry into the shooter scene, and where the future of computer and video gaming lies.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 28, 2009, 03:29 Kxmode

Crysis aimed for high end PCs and sold nothing. In fact, it got bashed here not only for its lack of gameplay but for its system requirements.

I'm probably a hypocrite because I dislike EA and hate DRM but I had Crysis in my car since 2007. I bought it and just let it vegetate in my car. It was one of those nagging games I had to play and move on.

I completed it about a week ago. Other than the VTOL level and the overt cliffhanger ending I really enjoyed it! Much to my surprise it ran very well on my 2007 Dell XPS laptop at 1620 x 1200 with medium settings and 2xAA. I guess for today's gamers that LOLnoob but it was good enough for me to enjoy without loosing performance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 27, 2009, 12:52 Joss

LOL Peteham!

Thank god for Crysis! You have to keep raising the bar people!

9. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 27, 2009, 09:43 peteham

What do you expect him to do? Release a high end game for the PC and then have noone buy it like Crysis?

The man runs a business, not a fucking charity.
What you fail to grasp, my good man, is this: I bought a copy of Jazz Jackrabbit decades ago, for a handful of bucks, so I'm entitled to a lifetime of support and subservience. Not just from Epic, but the _whole_ gaming industry! They wouldn't even fucking exist if it wasn't for me and my financial muscle.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2009, 09:49.

8. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 27, 2009, 02:41 Beamer

The man speaks the truth.
Crysis aimed for high end PCs and sold nothing. In fact, it got bashed here not only for its lack of gameplay but for its system requirements.

Tim Sweeney mentions dual-graphics cards. How many of us here would be able to conform to a game that required those? I sure couldn't. Maybe this is why my 360 gets more use than my PC. More likely it's just that Gears of War with someone sitting on the couch next to me is better than nearly any PC FPS of late. If you have people readily available then having them play with/against you on the same couch is far more fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 27, 2009, 01:23 Yifes

Fuck you Sweeney.

What do you expect him to do? Release a high end game for the PC and then have noone buy it like Crysis?

The man runs a business, not a fucking charity.

6. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 23:26 Kxmode

I was in Gamestop yesterday

GameStop is a pawnshop for crackheads. Not too many PCs in crackheadquarters.

5. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 21:19 Tony!!!

Sweeney hasn't forsaken anyone. It's the mainstream that has forsaken pc. High def tv's and this gen of consoles changed everything. I was in Gamestop yesterday.....WHERE ARE THE PC GAMES??? It cost money to make a game you know. Now days more than ever.  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

4. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 19:35 Joss

See what consoles are doing?! Stunting the growth of gaming tech.  

3. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 17:05 Grooves

Fuck you Sweeney.

You have forsaken what made you.

2. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 15:15 AdamK47

The very last page...

Does it scare you when you see Crysis... or, I don't know. What's the biggest competitor in the game engine market? Is it id's stuff, or is it another company?

TS: Today, it's Crysis. Because Crysis is doing some things on high-end PCs that we're not doing ourselves. That's a tricky case though, because we could do vastly more than we're currently doing if we focused on supporting dual high-end video cards, which have about 10 times the graphics horsepower of a console today.

The thing is, that market is about 2% the size of the overall next-generation game market -- PS3, Xbox 360, and mainstream PC. So there's a real hard business decision: if you go the route that Crytek goes, you can beat us in certain areas in graphics, but you're really sacrificing the larger market.

Because you can't run that engine on the PS3 and that sort of thing.

TS: Yeah. And some of the things they're doing are just conceptually incompatible with that level of performance. Wherever you have an order of magnitude performance difference, you can't really scale.

We can scale down in performance by a factor of three by going to a low resolution, dropping some textures, and things like that. But to scale by a factor of 10 -- you can't design a game with 10 times the detail and then scale it back to something that looks decent on the consoles. You'd end up looking much worse than a console game that was just designed for the console specs. So they have real scalability difficulties there.

1. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 26, 2009, 09:23 Veinman

Very cool article.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo