Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Indy 500 day... I like open-wheel racing, but I don't really watch it, and don't think I've really watched the whole 500 since I was a kid. This weekend has already had some serious sports excitement: between Lebron's miracle shot and the Mets pulling out their final out victory over the Red Sox last night, any more drama will start to seem scripted.

Sporty Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Meeblings 2.
Link: The 10 most common game design mistakes.
Stories: The Case for Working With Your Hands. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Halo 3 - Community Double HeadShot Montage.
How to mix basketball, soccer & gymnastics.
Break dancing robot. Born obsolete.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Open Wheel Racing May 26, 2009, 12:04 Max-Ray

I don't often watch the Indy500 myself, but this years race was decent IMO. The several yellow's kept the field bunched so we could see more fights to the checkers.

I prefer to watch F1 (and GP2). The new F1 rules have really mixed up the field. I like the fact there is more than fast left hand turns in F1 racing. And Monaco was a gorgeous day for a race!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 13:07 Dr. D. Schreber

By "exception" I didn't mean my actual job, just the idea that what the article is saying isn't desirable is less undesirable compared to what I have.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 10:34 Enahs

f course, there are exceptions to everything; after six years and one twenty-cent raise in my dead-end fast-food job, I'd kill for one of those cubicle-surrounded soul-killing better paying knowledge jobs to go along with my degree. The tourist packet for this place could read "Get a scenic view of an area where the economy went all to hell long before the economy went all to hell."

You are not in the exception. You are in the same category as those that work in a cubicle. You do the same thing over and over, rushing around. You are in a production line like those in the cubicles.

Working in a cubicle as an IT person would only be different in that you get paid more and get to sit down. Yes, both great benefits.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 05:52 Dr. D. Schreber

Of course, there are exceptions to everything; after six years and one twenty-cent raise in my dead-end fast-food job, I'd kill for one of those cubicle-surrounded soul-killing better paying knowledge jobs to go along with my degree. The tourist packet for this place could read "Get a scenic view of an area where the economy went all to hell long before the economy went all to hell."

And even then, it's not like the same logic doesn't apply anyway. I could've made management a couple of years back if I wanted to, just like the two or three other employees that've actually lasted longer than a month and stuck with it for the long haul...and now they get to spend fifty hours a week ripping their hair out over sales they have no control over, the children, and the jerks like me who laugh at the idea of actually caring about the corporate side of things and their troubles. Even here, it's better for your sanity to keep the hands-on job.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 02:59 Masa

Any job you do with your hands - i.e. a trade - is infinitely more satisfying in that regard.

Oh yes. I got into rebuilding guitars last year. Pick up some wreck I found in the pawn shop and get it to as near perfect playing condition as I can. Especially when I'm done and I step back and look at the finished product, it's as you wrote - "pretty damn cool".

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 02:53 Silicon Avatar

Aheh... Well, let's not get too carried away either. There is something to be said for being able to take on carpentry (or gardening in my case) as a hobby rather than a vocation. Not having to work with potentially hazardous materials/equipment or labor under a scorching sun are definite bonuses.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 02:43 PHJF

Cinematic trailer for Modern Warfare 2 was out tonight.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/reveal-trailer-modern-warfare/49655

Guess updating the engine wasn't a priority...

This comment was edited on May 25, 2009, 02:43.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 01:53 Cutter

Information worker? Same thing as any other joe job, that is to say, drone. Any job you do with your hands - i.e. a trade - is infinitely more satisfying in that regard. My old man was a carpenter and as someone else who's always worked more on the visceral side of things, there's something infinitely more satisfying in starting a project that has a concrete ending to it. I remember gutting shithole houses and going from nothing to something that looked great inside a few weeks, and it was always very satisfying. I remember driving around with my dad as a kid and him pointing out houses and buildings he built, and it was pretty damn cool. The tangible is always better than the intangible as it applies to work.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: May 24, 2009, 22:23 banddirector

I scored some of the Mexican Coke at Costco the other day, and indeed it has a unique flavor. Hey Blue, did you finally find some, and, if so, what do you think?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2009, 17:25 xXBatmanXx

between Lebron's miracle shot

If I ever meet the refs in person, I want to shake the hand of the ref that called him for traveling. They NEVER call that, and they need to.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2009, 13:49 Silicon Avatar

I'm an "information worker" and honestly there is nothing more satisfying than working in my garden and fixing broken things around the house. The things I do at work can all be undone with a power glitch or some random spyware. And even after it's done, the skills I used to do it are obsolete in 6t months. It's like I don't really do anything at all. With gardening, I can at least see things bloom and make fruit.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo