Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Delay Explained

Bill Roper On Champions' New Date on IncGamers is an interview with the Cryptic spokesperson Bill Roper about the recently announced delay for Champions Online, the upcoming superhero MMORPG that's now due on September 1. Bill offers the counterpoint to the bad news by describing how the extra development time will be spent, describing "TONS of Bug Fixes and Polish," along with a great deal of additional content that's being added as well, which will hopefully not require additional bug fixes or polish of its own. The new content includes an "intense, story-driven introduction to Lemuria," an "over-the-top, story-driven introduction to Monster Island," a city-wide racing challenge, and more variety in Power Sets, Travel Powers, and Upgrades.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 21, 2009, 00:02 Fion

CoH has a depth of 2 if you haven't played in 4 years. It's improved a tun. And the character development blows WoWs to hell and back. I mean the game has actual number crunching for one. That's practically anathema in WoW.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 22:11 Wildflower

Yeah, if they only added thousands upon thousands of generic fetch and find collection quests then maybe the game will approach the same "quality" and polish as WoW.

20. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 21:40 ColoradoHoudini

All i want to know is what kind of depth there is to the game.
Compared to something as polished as WoW.. which I'd give a 9/10 on the depth scale, CoH/CoV were a 2/10.. and I'm being nice there.

I want more than just "custom colored powers" and "nearly infinite character design"

19. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 21:33 ldonyo

Is "intense, story-driven introduction" some kind of code for "long, drawn-out and unskippable cutscene"?  

18. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 19:18 TheMilkman

I never played Hellscape. Thus, I feel nothing but love and kinship towards Mr. Roper, who is our friend and companion on the path of life.

But seriously, Champions is looking good so far.

17. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 18:23 Fion

Yep, Blasters & Scrappers Online (sorry.. Champions Online) blows CoH away in every respect.

/sarcasm off

16. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 18:22 Creston

I have no idea what Cryptic was thinking when they hired this moron, but to make one of the biggest jokes of the industry your PR guy?

I think they took a page from ESPN's playbook, when they hired Matt fucking Millen, the biggest joke in the NFL, to join their studio team.

Creston

15. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 18:09 Keith

Beta has been pretty good. Bill or no Bill, I have been enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the full release. Has CoH/CoV by a wide margin, in my opinion.  

14. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 17:38 The Half Elf

Cutter I doubt it. DCUO is shaping up nicely, but there is no way Marvel is going to keep up with the 'casual' route they decided on.

And personally I was waiting for City of Heroes to get the NCSoft 'shaft' but it's still going strong after 5 years.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 17:36 The Half Elf

Tumbler if ya know anyone in the beta, I suggest talking to them.

The game is heads and sholders above City of Heroes, and as much as I hate Bill Roper (yes I bought Hellgate Collectors Edition), he is more or less finishing up the project as he did with anything he worked on for Blizzard.

As for the beta itself (Today being a scheduled play test time), the game is in pretty good shape core gameplay wise. But they are doing things like adding more polish, more powers, more costume options, getting the player made Nemesis system earlier in the game.

Was playing around in Lemuria earlier and have to say for a complete water zone it's rather cool.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 17:21 Cram

See, they are dealing with a real disappointment. Many people got stung hard by roper, as such, they are reluctant to care about any project he is involved in. I have no idea what Cryptic was thinking when they hired this moron, but to make one of the biggest jokes of the industry your PR guy? That's over the top in stupidity.

This.

Haters can hate all they want. The haters of the haters can say whatever they want. When it comes down to it, Cryptic hired a known proven thief and liar to be the director and head public representative of their major title. Stupidity is not a sufficient adjective.

Then again....being a thief and liar seems to be the prerequisites to being a successful salesman in today capitalistic society.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2009, 17:22.

11. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 16:42 Exe

See, they are dealing with a real disappointment. Many people got stung hard by roper, as such, they are reluctant to care about any project he is involved in. I have no idea what Cryptic was thinking when they hired this moron, but to make one of the biggest jokes of the industry your PR guy? That's over the top in stupidity.  

10. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 16:35 creatorswhim

DCUO? Don't you mean "Everquest with tights?"

Marvel? That movie production company? Are they going to license a superhero game? Last I heard, they were too busy making money on action movies to bother with the MMO business.

I'm amazed at you haters coming in here to forecast doom just because your ass still hurts from last time Bill Roper promised you something. I hope none of you ever have to deal with real peoples and real disappointment.

9. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 16:07 Cutter

If there's any one thing this game needs, it's

...more cowbell!

DCUO and Marvel will bury Cryptic once and for all. And you can bet Bill will probably try and jump ship to one of those games and ruin those.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 15:29 wtf_man

Personally I wish the guy was not working on any game.

Look at the bright side... After Champions Online flops (which is highly probable), you may get your wish.

Look what happened to Richard Garriot... Ultima IX (1999), then Tabula Rasa (2008). 2 major flops in a row has pretty much put him out of the industry. (UO was 1997, BTW, so that was before his first major flop).

7. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 14:18 Tumbler

So you'd rather he pull a Vanguard on the game and release it before it's ready? Just because you hate the guy? Whatever.
?

Me? I could care less. Release it now, release it later, it's still a huge fucking disaster until proven otherwise. I think it's funny that they are defending this decision like anyone cares.

Oh you're delaying your game? Oh that is so interesting...So does Bill Roper still work there? Ok BBy.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 13:33 AnarKane

So you'd rather he pull a Vanguard on the game and release it before it's ready? Just because you hate the guy? Whatever.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

5. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 11:11 Tumbler

Hes really ruined his Rep as far as Im concerned and anything he says I take with a very large grain of salt.

QFT.

Without a free trial period with no commitment I would never consider buying this game at launch. I assume they will be having a beta, and I signed up for it, but I can't even pretend that champions online looks like a good buy at this point.

Bill Roper is your quasi PR guy? ...BILL ROPER, Bill Roper? The guy from Flagship and Hellgate london? THAT is who you're having talk up your game?

That's like having Bernie Madoff endorse your new investment ideas...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 10:56 Umbragen

They may as well take all the time they need. The market isn't there to keep 3 superhero MMOs alive anyway.  

3. Re: Champions Online Delay Explained May 20, 2009, 10:52 Fion

If there's any one thing this game needs, it's;

"more variety in Power Sets, Travel Powers, and Upgrades."

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo