Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Demigod Demo & DLC Plans

So what the hell happened? on Skinning the frog, the blog of Stardock's Brad "Frogboy" Wardell has the latest chapter in the saga of Demigod, the action/strategy game from Gas Powered Games that suffered a rocky launch. He recaps the connectivity problems, which he chalks up to one bad design decision and one architectural limitation, explains why these issues took three weeks to fix, and outlines plans to release a patch as early as today to support proxy servers. He also outlines some issues that remain, and what's being done about them, and concludes with a FAQ describing what is being done to compensate users for these woes, plans for a demo (which would probably be out already if they hadn't gotten caught up in fire-fighting), that two more Demigods are being prepared for release, and lessons learned from the whole debacle. He concludes with a frank assessment of the game:

You know the expected marketing answer. But my view is, the difficult launch definitely hurt the game. Thereís no way around it. Besides upsetting a lot of people anxious for a good multiplayer game, you also have the fact that those early negative reviews are going to linger. 1UP promised to re-review the game when this mess is straightened out and so Iíll be talking to them this week about that. But still, Gamespot (6.5) and IGN (7.5) are going to linger. Thatís the breaks. One could argue we released a game that wasnít done (we thought it was done) and thatís what you get.

Now, that said, I do think long-term the game is in good shape. First, we will be putting a lot of effort to build the online community. Scheduled games, strong team and clan support, pro tournaments, matchmaker filtering (let people filter out people they donít want to play) are all coming sooner rather than later. Those things will help immensely.

A lot of Demigodís long-term success depends, in my opinion, on whether weíre able to ďperfectĒ Demigodís online experience before a viable alternative shows up. Right now, Demigod has the luxury of being one of the few modern RTS games that is so well suited to playing online. It also lucked out in that Atari doesnít release it internationally until later this month which means a huge influx of new players.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 20, 2009, 15:24 BurntSoul

Verno,

I'm looking for YannaSilv in the name directory because I want to check out the post. Is the username spelt correctly, because I cannot find him/her? Which post was it for? Send the link.

And if it's not in the forums, is there anyplace I can see that developer chat? Just curious...

This comment was edited on May 20, 2009, 15:28.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 20, 2009, 12:02 Verno

Wasn't really impressed with the last developer chat. Frogboy sat in and took one of the questions from a fan, excerpt:

YannaSilv: Can you comment on why you keep saying the connection problems are resolved? I am 0 for 6 tonight trying to get at least one game without someone getting disconnected or dropped in the first 10 seconds. It's frustrating to keep getting AI players.

Frogboy: Are you new to online games or something? People ragequit all the time.

Felt really bad for the chick asking the question, they're all "we love you guys" in press releases but crap like that makes me wonder.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

27. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 20, 2009, 06:45 InBlack

So to play DotA I have to purchase Warcraft3 right? What about the expansion?

Is it worth getting those two games just to play DotA? I gave away my War3 CD to a friend a long time ago, and personally War3 was a major fail for me, probably the worst game Blizzard ever made.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 20:46 Dades

Lack of tutorials and proper introductions to gameplay mechanics probably won't help them attain new players. The game is really in a tough spot, it ditched too much complexity from DotA so many of those fans are harsh critics. Couple that with a horrible launch and bad word of mouth. It's a shame it's a Stardock game, personally I expected more from them. Oh well, you can bet they will never launch another game without a large public beta, that's for sure.  

25. Re: Demigod-Demo May 19, 2009, 19:40 BurntSoul

Hopefully the demo will play well for those looking into the game. I'm sure people will enjoy it. DemiGod is quite interesting. I'm not sure for those that have played DotA before it, but it's worth a shot. I'm assuming the majority of DotA folks will probably say no go because they wouldn't want to fracture their playerbase. However, I'm glad I have it. It's got depth but matches don't take too long. It's a total team game experience. The AI is very forgiving for newcomers and a nice way to learn the game quickly; once you've gone through them a few times it's readily apparent you'll want to sink your teeth into human opponents.  

24. Re: Demigod-We need perspective, folks May 19, 2009, 19:28 BurntSoul

Loomy,

these stupid fucks got what they deserved. if you haven't done something before and you don't release a demo, you're going to get fucked on release day.

hubris man, thats a common downfall. they think they're so great that all the testing they need is some private test with some nerds. think again.

Dude, why so negative? You almost sound like someone who is jealous as well. What gives?

Not only that, but to shit on a company that has been totally honest about their issues up front. I mean really.

Well, I guess it's your own personal right to be 'pissed' at them for not having a pristine product on release (um, does anyone?).

Please, let's put things in perspective. It's been the first 30 days and they haven't quit on the users. Read that line again...

Not something EA or Ubisoft would characteristically do, right?

Not only that, but being honest with the player base? Actively asking for input for additions for DLC?

I've seen games that come out, zero communication with the community - ever. Then the Patch (singular) would come out Waaaaaay later than it should have, which adds fluff and no fixes. That breaks another part of the game. And then when the game tanks, they blame it on piracy for the low numbers and then make a plan to focus their efforts just on consoles from that point forward.

What Stardock is doing with DemiGod right now = Breath of Fresh Air, brotha'.

But there must be something that really got you upset about DemiGod. Please tell us, what would it be?

Or are you just a Troll?

Oh, and you can call me a bleeding heart fanboy if you like, I'm not ashamed by the way. Call me names as well - since I'm not going to reply to your rant. I purchased DemiGod and I am satisfied - my connection is good, it's $10 cheaper than other titles and the developers are active and I know I'm going to get more from the title soon.

23. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 18:52 loomy

these stupid fucks got what they deserved. if you haven't done something before and you don't release a demo, you're going to get fucked on release day.

hubris man, thats a common downfall. they think they're so great that all the testing they need is some private test with some nerds. think again.

22. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 18:52 space captain

. One could argue we released a game that wasnít done (we thought it was done) and thatís what you get.

indeed

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 17:29 Prez

The game is only 30 bucks...and you only need one copy to play LAN games. Win and win.

Sweet!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 17:23 PHJF

The gametrailers review sure makes it seem an interesting game...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-demigod/48809

... but I have an *extremely* sour taste in my mouth thanks to Space Siege.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 17:14 Johnny Mullet

I'm not either, but I love the game. It really doesn't play like an RTS since you don't micromanage individual units; you really just control your demigod. It plays closer to Diablo than it does to Command and Conquer... it's sort of hard to describe, and tough to appreciate without playing it.

I usually describe it as a cross between Diablo and Company of Heroes.

18. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 17:01 PropheT

I'm not much of an RTS player so I wanted a demo to experience the pace of the game. Now I'm just not interested in even trying a demo..

I'm not either, but I love the game. It really doesn't play like an RTS since you don't micromanage individual units; you really just control your demigod. It plays closer to Diablo than it does to Command and Conquer... it's sort of hard to describe, and tough to appreciate without playing it.

Give the demo a shot when it comes out, the game is great.

17. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 17:01 Johnny Mullet

Thing is, I am not inclined to spend 50 bucks on it, especially when I would probably buy 2 so I could play LAN games at home. If the price were 25 to 30 bucks, I'd buy at least 2. There's that tricky pricing debate again

The game is only 30 bucks...and you only need one copy to play LAN games. Win and win.

16. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 16:43 Cutter

Still waiting on that demo.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:59 Verno

Good job totally continuing the derail by insulting people, a surefire way to get things back on topic Rolleyes  

14. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:59 Caveman

I'm not much of an RTS player so I wanted a demo to experience the pace of the game. Now I'm just not interested in even trying a demo...

Oh and good job totally derailing the thread, idiots.

Want some ketchup with those french cries?

13. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:53 dubfanatic

I'm not much of an RTS player so I wanted a demo to experience the pace of the game. Now I'm just not interested in even trying a demo...

Oh and good job totally derailing the thread, idiots.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 14:57.

12. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:48 Verno

That's cool, I'll check it out again then, thanks for the info.

On a sidenote, I wonder how Demigod is going to stack up against League of Legends which has been apparently shaping up nicely in private beta and they're supposedly going to have a public beta at some point this year. It's shipping with more heroes, a map editor and full SDK. It's also got one of the creators of DotA working on it.

11. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:43 Fion

The current lead dev, Craig Morrison, turned around Anarchy Online and made it great during his time there, and he's doing the same with AoC.

On a personal level, I thought that the content post newbie-island is the best in AoC. It's not quite so story driven, and only more noted NPCs have voice work, but the world is brilliantly designed and very fun to explore (even if it is a zone based MMOG.)

But yea, if you enjoyed it before but thought it went down hill after Tortage because of lack of content, voice work, quest quality, it has improved with several new areas (and more coming) that are more story driven, more voice acted and tie in closely with the works of Robert E Howard (my absolute favorite writer, today or 90 years ago hehe.)

It's worth the $15 to see how things have improved and changed, and mind soon(tm) patch 1.5 will make some much needed and asked for changes to the statistics of the game and gear as well. It will now actually matter (outside of PvP, but also within.) Not to the point like WoW, where gear is everything, but in between. Not to mention it's great, great Feat (talent) system blows the hell out of WoW's because it simply enhances your character instead of your character being your talents and your gear and little else ala WoW.

But yea, it's really turning around and I'm happy for Funcom. They need to keep Craig in this spot for another year or two and after that give this guy his own project! He has some fantastic ideas.

10. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:40 Verno

@Prez

It's $39.95 USD just FYI, not sure which region you're in. The "majority" of the bugs are not worked out yet, I would hold off. Wait a few months, you'll get the DLC too plus the game will probably be cheaper and you'll have the added benefit of not paying to be a beta tester.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 14:40.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo